Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,271 members, 7,934,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 06:57 PM

What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? (2156 Views)

How To Prepare A Nutritious Garri Soaked In Water / What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? / 'soaked Garri' And Mango Myth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by JNdupu: 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
What is going on with these new varieties of Garri they are sending to us? When I was a kid back home, a very small quantity of garri soaked swells to fill the bowl like miracle, you will chop tire.

The garri we get now in London is crap. The other day I soaked some garri in a bowl hallway and filled it up with water, even left it in the fridge. Went out for a few hours to watch a football match with a detour on the way back to Tomi's Kitchen to pick up Mashed beans.

I was expecting the bowl to be full and, yes, the water had dried up but the garri level was almost the same, only now very soft and mushy like some kind of pap. That was white Garri. I have tried yellow garri, the same. Are these people adding funny chemicals?

Help. Where can I find original, swelling Garri in London?
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by kunlekunle: 9:54am On Dec 02, 2012
you bought a day old processed gari (whitish)
go for the brownish type.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 2:06am On Dec 03, 2012
The chinese will soon take over garri processing, if care is not taken.

Right now, their dodo is top notch.

I hope nigerians are studying these things in relevant R& D ?
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 03, 2012
tpia1: The chinese will soon take over garri processing, if care is not taken.

Right now, their dodo is top notch.

I hope nigerians are studying these things in relevant R& D ?

About the Chinese, is a good thing if they did take over.

The other day I was looking for an African market in Bordeaux, the one shop I saw only got beans...but this Chinese shop, I was surprised to see fufu, yam, plantain, palm oil...I just bought those ones, waiting to see if I can get my soup ingredient.

A post, the garri u bought might be the one with fried very dry with palm oil, go for the white ones with fine crystals. Those ones do swell. Abeg, right now I no mind the one you dey complain about sef!
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 1:16am On Dec 04, 2012
they probably had garri too.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 1:17am On Dec 04, 2012
About the Chinese, is a good thing if they did take over.

not sure. . . . . . . . .

jobs. . . . . .
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Moyola(f): 1:23am On Dec 04, 2012
Try Tropical Sun's Garri tongue
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Nobody: 3:40am On Dec 04, 2012
Na wa o OP grin so you actually left garri in the fridge so it can double its size? Anyways I have no clue bout London and the ones they have here are all from Ghana , I don't even eat the thing sef anymore , the last time my visitor crunched a big rock in her garri, I almost called 911, I prefer semolina now..... we don't get original anything anymore it's so sad , even the Palm oil is from Ghana .
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 04, 2012
tpia1:

not sure. . . . . . . . .

jobs. . . . . .

I don't care about the jobs oh, as far as I get my African food at affordable prices...I need it bad! Missing already my African salad ( abachha).
I got one Chinese rice that looks like that, got palm oil, but I don't have substitute for the oil thickener known as Akawu or something.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 10:15am On Dec 04, 2012
the last time my visitor crunched a big rock in her garri,

lord have mercy undecided lipsrsealed
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 10:15am On Dec 04, 2012
Vikin:

I don't care about the jobs oh, as far as I get my African food at affordable prices...I need it bad! Missing already my African salad ( abachha).
I got one Chinese rice that looks like that, got palm oil, but I don't have substitute for the oil thickener known as Akawu or something.

jasmine rice?
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 04, 2012
Chantaboon rice stick. Oriental food co. Thailand. It's just like the African salad, no diif smiley
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 04, 2012
tpia1:

lord have mercy undecided lipsrsealed

Yeah okuta!
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by armyofone(m): 5:15pm On Dec 04, 2012
some of the garri around have Yeast, elubo powder or Flour in them.

like we can't live without eating nigeria food oversea...i think it is a waste of money shopping for nigerian food oversea. if you can, ask your family to fedex some to you. better than eating garrium flour-di-oxide as eba.
Odiakwa egu.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 9:19pm On Dec 04, 2012
jidegirl12:

Yeah okuta!

Thats terrible.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by tpia1: 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
Vikin: Chantaboon rice stick. Oriental food co. Thailand. It's just like the African salad, no diif smiley

Never heard of it, will look it up, though i' m not too sure what african salad is either.
Re: What's With The Fake Non-Swelling Soaked Garri In London? by JNdupu: 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
armyofone: some of the garri around have Yeast, elubo powder or Flour in them.

like we can't live without eating nigeria food oversea...i think it is a waste of money shopping for nigerian food oversea. if you can, ask your family to fedex some to you. better than eating garrium flour-di-oxide as eba.
Odiakwa egu.

Gbam. This is what I'm beginning to suspect. When you wash the garri, the run-off water is sticky and even blocks the sieve over the kitchen drain hole. Backhome, garri run-off was clear and drinkable too.

(1) (Reply)

TOMATO WAR: Tomatina Festival / Have You Seen This Food That Looks Better Than Nigerian Jollof Rice? Click Here / Easy And Delicious Nigerian Fried Beans Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.