Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,517 members, 7,920,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 02:57 PM

Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan (18083 Views)

Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / FG Sites Green City Project In The City Of Onitsha / Tell Us About The City Where You Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by dsolo(m): 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
Go to ori-oke , branch iyanla @ ring road , eat amala @ iyajebu in molete or fanawole in iword
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by rodeo0070(m): 7:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
Not much attraction in Ibadan but its an ideal place to stay in Nigeria. I've been here for like 3years now and I'm still loving Ibadan...
Try and spend sometime @ the Premier Hotel, or the Golf club and then relax in one of the following places: 411,Kokodome, Genesis etc.
Or if you miss your childhood, you can go to FUNFACTORY,mini amusement park for, I do that sometimes...
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Anvaller: 7:51pm On Nov 25, 2012
DaLover: whats this constant relationship between amala and ibadan...was the stuff invented there?

It is normal, dude... foods are specific to places, its part of ur Identity even if u as a person don't eat it so much. Americans would be talking Hash bronws Hamburger etc, Italians/Spanish would be talking pasta and pasta, the Dutch would be talking Stomp pot and Vla so u are not expecting Ibadan ppl to be talking about french fries do u? yes may be some of them eat it of course but its foreign, that's the fact. Amala is their indigenous delicacy and they are proud of it.

2 Likes

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2012
Omo I rocked ibadan at one time oooo. Boozing with my guys every friday. And it was around this time of the year again. Enuff cat fish pepper soup and gulder. Then I used to have this chic I used to go out with then. She was a cool chic. We rotated the outings. One week on me the other week on her. Fun places are : koko dome, 411 (that is my best hangout in IB can't forget 411 sharwarma), Grannies at bodija, ORI OKE near cultural centre, Guiness exhibition, enuff enjoyment. Then I came to lag and also rocked it. House parties, street carnivals, club vegas, liquid lounge, Ree danielles, G-vans. I really enjoyed last year festive season. I'm praying this one would be also memorable.

1 Like

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by cardoso111(m): 8:24pm On Nov 25, 2012
Ibadan is not dry o!You will enjoy a smooth holiday without stress.Visit the Museum of National Monuments at Alesinloye!Take good snacks @KFC Ring road!! Visit UI!!! Do sightseeing at the UI Bookshop!come to Agodi Gate you will get bargain!!Many more places for fun catchers.!lVisit Mapo Hall,come to Splash FM
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by gossips(f): 8:25pm On Nov 25, 2012
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

fittty's zoo recommendation would have been OK but University of Ibadan zoo is past its prime, it is a shadow of itself;

No more gorilla, no more crocodiles, no more lions etc

Don't waste your time and entry money visiting the zoo

Adesiji77, the only think you'll remember about the zoo after leaving, will be the midges that bit you when you were there

Ibadan is a lackadaisical city and sadly hasn't like Lagos got a galleria, mega plaza, The Palms etc

Ibadan is usually quiet by 7 - 9 pm, you can check out amala joints etc though

You talk so ignorantly!
when was the last time you visited the U.I. Zoo?
among the animals you mentioned, it is gorillas that you won't find there.
Aide, the ape, died just last year.
so plz, I advise that you make out time to revisit, and bet me, you will be amazed at the state you'll find it.

so, poster, I advise that you actually take a trip to the Zoo.
you'll find it worth your time
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by moredendisc: 8:33pm On Nov 25, 2012
Adesiji77: Hi Nairalanders, I would be starting my vacation leave next week and would love to spend a greater part of it in the ancient city of Ibadan since I do not have plans to travel abroad.

Please, where are the places of interest that I can visit while in Ibadan so as to make my holiday worthwhile? Kindly offer practical suggestions. Thank you

@Moderators, please move the front page for maximum response

@Adesiji77

Visit The International Institute For Tropical Agriculture (IITA) guest house
http://old.iita.org/cms/details/hotel_summaryx.aspx?articleid=193&zoneid=275
only heard about their accommodation after a bad experience at the Bodija Hotel I lodged at

Visit Liberty Stadium; now called Obafemi Awolowo Stadium, it is the first stadium in Africa

Visit Cocoa House, it is the first skyscraper in Africa

Visit Mokola flyover, it is still under construction, I think it is the first flyover in Ibadan.

Visit Benbo Gardens, this was years ago, I am not sure whether it is still operating

Visit Premier Hotel, it has a panoramic view of Ibadan

Visit Iyaganku, check out the Central Police Station

Visit Dugbe, Gbagi etc check out the Railway Terminus, watch out for the shop there, that has a similar logo like Tesco

British Council used to be at Dugbe, not sure if it is still there anymore

Visit Mokola, check out The Cultural center

Visit UCH, UI, Poly, School of Nursing etc

At UI, visit Obafemi Awolowo Hall, it said to be the tallest and largest hostel in West Africa

Drive along Ring Road, it is one of Ibadan's dual carriage road, think it is now called Babanginda Road or something

Visit NTA, it is location of the first television station in Africa

Visit Trans-Wonderland amusement park
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by moredendisc: 8:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
gossips:

You talk so ignorantly!
when was the last time you visited the U.I. Zoo?
among the animals you mentioned, it is gorillas that you won't find there.
Aide, the ape, died just last year.
so plz, I advise that you make out time to revisit, and bet me, you will be amazed at the state you'll find it.

so, poster, I advise that you actually take a trip to the Zoo.
you'll find it worth your time

moredendisc:

@cynthio

OK was there,

but I was there a year and a half ago, I didn't see or remember seeing any

I do remember getting plagued at the zoo by some biting unseen insects though

Ibadan was a complete let down, slept one night left to return to Lagos the following day

@gossips

Don't get your knickers in a twist, I have already recanted shocked shocked shocked
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by kenx1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
T‎​ђε̲ rusted zincs should be among the list of Unesco world heritage site lolz
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Dzzbabe: 8:52pm On Nov 25, 2012
hmmmmm na wa o, Ibandan, sure the 10km stretch of brown roof wld be an awwwww sight smiley
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by felifeli: 9:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
Please where exactly is Ola Mummy ?

Egba girl:

YES!!!!!!!!!!! mehn!! Ola mummy na die!! Sky bank too! Yo OP, dont leave IB without making a stop at Ola Mummy. It's more convenient that Skybank and the food is equally as good if not better too. Def Ola Mymmy and its at Ojurin/kogi side. Just by the railway thing. ask around that junction. you cant miss it. Try the Abula and Amala at Ola Mummy cheesy

Also try going to IIT around the ojo side. It's pretty cool but you need to know someone there first.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by rman: 9:05pm On Nov 25, 2012
@OP,

Ibadan is a cool town.

Most of the important places have been mentioned on this thread.

It all depends on who you are hanging with. Apart from beaches, there is nothing Lagos has to offer that you can not ge in IB.

Please make sure you try the amala beside SKYE bank Bodija before you leave IB. You will thnk me later.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
Ibadan? That's my adopted hometown right there. Got mad love for the city, mostly for sentimental and nostalgic reasons - even though it's hardly the ideal tourist destination.

Back in the days, places like Koko Dome, Cottons/Altitude (now 411, I think), Options, De Rovans Hotel, etc used to be cool. There were also low-key joints like Tin -Tin, Koffi Jay (close to the defunct 'Ronis', near UI), and Amala joints like Oju-Irin, Syke Bank, Express, etc. There's also UI Conference Centre (garden) for some great G-Unit Chicken Barbecue and Beer. It all depends on what you want and how you roll. A few pimps are also handy - in case you want buxom chicks from Polybadan or UI - or the locals, depending on your taste and budget. If you're the holy-holy type, then of course there are countless mosques and/or churches in and around the city for 'religious vacationing'.

Anyways, all join. Have fun. It's a welcoming city, as long as you don't have sky-high expectations.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by omobadan(m): 9:27pm On Nov 25, 2012
If u're open minded u should enjoy Ibadan. The mistake people make is to compare it with Lagos. What u need is a companion that knows the city & u're good to go. The Heritage Mall in Dugbe hasn't open yet but there are many places to check out eg 411, Ebevande, Options 24/7, Bubble Plus, Swagx & the many amala joints. I wish u the best! Enjoy!
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Adesiji77: 9:46pm On Nov 25, 2012
@All...Thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 9:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
felifeli: Please where exactly is Ola Mummy ?

Ola mummy is by Ojurin side. It's right by the railroad so if you are coming from secretariat, once you get to that intersection, it's on the left. There's a sign too and if you still cant find it, just ask the person standing/sitting next to you.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by deesnipes(f): 9:56pm On Nov 25, 2012
@ op
For you to enjoy ur stay in ib u have to get someone dat knows d fun places to be and has d right connections. Two pple may go to kokodome and av different stories to tell abt d place depending on their company their.
Also there r some places dat pple may want to term local but u won't belief d callibre of pple dat goes their e.g a place at eleyele electronics market, its wen u enter inbetween d shops dat u'll know wats going on, I.e correct point n kill fresh fish with unbelievably enlightened conversation. ( I used to pose as my dads girlfriend then).
For tourist attraction, find someone who knows "bowers tower" its in d interior parts of ibadan wher tjis galaxy tv station first stated. From the tower u can  all of ibadan or almost all ( but be prepared to  a lot of brown roofs)m

Also try n locate sabo for nice suya and a junction calld general gas in akobo, d suya their is great though I don't know if it still exists. Ibadan tennis club (nice billiards and snookers)n d'rovans hotel.
Think I shld stop here.
And also ori oke in roundabout along cultural centre
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by budwizer(m): 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2012
IITA is a lovely place, you should check it out
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by kaduto(f): 10:11pm On Nov 25, 2012
@ Op Places to visit around Oluyole axis: if u r into hanging out Time-Out is d place to be.if u r into pizza n d likes Panchos will do dat for u. If u r into grilled fish n shalad der is a place on Are rd infront of Total to do dat, n if its shoppin then u hav plenty opions Fumac, K n I n PJs all on 7up Rd. So come hv fun.
@chaircover where is ur shop @ jericho
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by laminaria(m): 10:12pm On Nov 25, 2012
guy i will simply encourage u to visit the most rugged area in d ancient city of ibadan.............starting from beere down to oranyan, to ojee,then com back to gege n move towards foko trust me u wil be amazed wit ur eyes
pls come with ur camera............welcom to great city of ibadan, oyo onidaru ooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by olumaxi(m): 10:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
Βουκέφαλος: Good clubs in bodija axis. Go to 411 or dome . It's always fun there. I don't know if there are better clubs now thou. I grew up in old bodija. Haven't been there in 5 yrs now. Oluyole is a good place too. Or eleyele. There is a place in eleyele where u can eat fresh fish with palm wine under a big tree. U go see as bankers and other big men park to eat on a bench. Chai I miss Ibadan die. Always remember they booze there a lot . And one more thing. There is a place u can have fun at mokola.it is called ORI OKE. Don't stay there pass 10pm sha. If u don't want to be robbed on ur way home. Enjoy!!
ori-oke!.guy,u jst made me remember d place..gbogbo aye lori oke..u can also visit burbles at ringroad..aye yapa loluyole
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Jbgurl: 10:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
RT

1 Like

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by eldoc2003(m): 10:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
Guy,you've not been to UI zoo before, it has atleast 5 lions and 2 crocodile
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

fittty's zoo recommendation would have been OK but University of Ibadan zoo is past its prime, it is a shadow of itself;

Adesiji77, the only think you'll remember about the zoo after leaving, will be the midges that bit you when you were there

Ibadan is a lackadaisical city and sadly hasn't like Lagos got a galleria, mega plaza, The Palms etc

1 Like

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
Na so so amala & point and kill
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by mariamolat(f): 11:12pm On Nov 25, 2012
laminaria: guy i will simply encourage u to visit the most rugged area in d ancient city of ibadan.............starting from beere down to oranyan, to ojee,then com back to gege n move towards foko trust me u wil be amazed wit ur eyes
pls come with ur camera............welcom to great city of ibadan, oyo onidaru ooooooooooooooo
are u an indigene of Ibadan. I can see u know d interior very well
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Christine01(f): 11:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

When was the last time you visited the zoo? There are still crocodiles and lions I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ that zoo.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 25, 2012
I can't even see any attractive response...all I keep seeing is amala, iya sule, ori oke, blah blah.....they all sound too local! Is there nothing civilized in ibadan?

Jb gurl: RT IF U ATTENDED MARYHILL CONVENT SCHOOL IBADAN OR ALL SAINTS COLLEGE JERICHO IBADAN.
Does nl resemble twitter? undecided

1 Like

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
speedyboi: I can't even see any attractive response...all I keep seeing is amala, iya sule, ori oke, blah blah.....they all sound too local! Is there nothing civilized in ibadan?

What's wrong with the 'local'. No be Yorubaland again? Sho!
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by shadrach77: 12:50am On Nov 26, 2012
ibadan has several places of interest - you can visit Mapo Hall, Cocoa House, Obisesan Hall, Brooking House, Amusement Park, IITA, UI Zoological Gardens, Olubadan Palace,The scretariat, Agodi etc grin grin grin
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by shadrach77: 12:53am On Nov 26, 2012
Jb gurl: RT IF U ATTENDED MARYHILL CONVENT SCHOOL IBADAN OR ALL SAINTS COLLEGE JERICHO IBADAN.
i attended all saints college, jericho - it used to be known as all saints church school back in the dayz - so what's the catch?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi / Praying, Fasting, Whistle-blowing & Extreme Ways To Secure The Nigerian Passport / Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.