Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,913 members, 7,902,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 08:21 PM

Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned (25851 Views)

Ajah Police, High Court Epe Aiding Omonile Land Scam Schemes / How To Avoid Paying The Dreaded Omonile Signing Fees Scam In Lagos And Ogun / Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2012
@lawyer ur doin a gr8 work.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by SPIFF(m): 8:42pm On Nov 26, 2012
Nice writeup. The lawyer, what is your submission on buying a plot of land from these estate developers around ofada/mowe. Is there any chance of being scammed too.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by a1solution: 8:45pm On Nov 26, 2012
People that needs the lawyer contact should check his signature (write up after every of his post).
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by kingblosky: 9:06pm On Nov 26, 2012
Happy Birthday and thank you.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by justman29(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2012
gr8 job barrister, keep d gud work going... More sparks to ur brain!
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 26, 2012
Nice one. More power your elbows.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
john_shagb: pls who actually read this thing?
For your mind you get sense abi?? The day you come here to open a useless thread on how you were cheated, thunder go fire your nyash grin grin
Oga law well done jare..
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by kadree(m): 10:51pm On Nov 26, 2012
Thumbs up d law,u av indeed done well,rili gained alot n can't wait for d next info pls.
But remember say omonile no go wish u happy bithday o as u done turn thier juice to conc H2SO4 wit dis gud eye-opening info.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by DawnofJoy: 10:55pm On Nov 26, 2012
Vry educativ piece!
Pls kindly send me ur contact @ imoleoloketuyi@yahoo.com
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by yoged(m): 11:09pm On Nov 26, 2012
Great work. Really commend you the law. Keep it up.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by camcor(m): 11:09pm On Nov 26, 2012
Happy Birthday to u the law! I really commend ur effort for the write ups. I read thru all the omoonile's strategies and believe all b'cos that's what I encounter on field virtually on daily basis or anytime my service is required. I'm a registered Surveyor and in my institution here in Lagos, we've tried to educate the populace(Lagosians) about who to consult when it comes to Land matters in lagos. In lagos we have these categories of land
1. Commited land(no go area)
2.Acquired land that can be regularised I.e buy from omoonile and pay some amount to government as being charged (depending on the location).
3. Free land (of course no wahala on this)

For u to determine any of the 3 steps above, consult a REGISTERED SURVEYOR. My candid advise is b4 u pay for that landed property consult your lawyer/surveyor for a search on genuiness/status of the property.

Dear Nairalanders, be wise b'cos a word is enough. My phone numbers are 08034813034 or 08022034982. My email address is adedokunleye@yahoo.com. Once again, happy birthday to u the law.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 12:10am On Nov 27, 2012
anyway na for 9ja people no dy value research work...see dis kind info sombody in his right senses afta gainin much go still cum dy ask who is readin dis??anyway oga law oya shap com complete dis ur thread tank u for dis ur gr8 info..am a 20yr old guy student/worker nd wants to buy a land..d only doubt i always have is about the genuiness of the document nd how to go about buyin a secured land here in NIGER/MINNA..TANK U...NOTE::A reply frm any xperienced personnel is welcomed..
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by erico2k2(m): 3:34am On Nov 27, 2012

i did not just read it.I took my time to print them out and filed it as well for easy refrence
OP we need more of you.we need to burst these useless criminals pulling us backward

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by SapeleDon: 5:29am On Nov 27, 2012
A very educative piece.

This is HANDBOOK 101 on the things to check out for when buying a land and it does not apply only to Lagos.

A former university course mate of mine has been on me to come buy a Co-operative land in Asaba for weeks now for 2 million naira.

Although have not seen this guy for more than 14 years since graduation,back in school I knew him to be an honest guy,but people change and another reason I am a little hesitant is that Asaba is close to Onitsha,and the cross border robberies/kidnappings there are stuff of legend.

I have repeatedly asked him if he sure about the land and his answers have been in the affirmative,but there is too much money in Asaba for a land to be available for 2 million Naira.

Your write up just helped me make the decision now not to get involved in this land matter,especially as I can not be leaving my diaporan location to be coming for a fight over a piece of property in Nigeria.

In my tenant days in Lagos before leaving I usually get places through JIDE TAIWO and was thinking of contacting them again in some few weeks when I come home,in respect to a land but after reading your article will have a talk with you first.

Meanwhile, I don't know how this private email thing service works here but would like to have a mutually benefiting conversation with you as regards advices for a property in lagos.

Last time I dropped my email here I kept getting a million business proposal a day,so please what's the best way to get in touch with you?

Be kind to leave a number or bb add on here thanks.

Very educative write up and I am printing it first thing in the morning pronto.

Leave a contact number here asap.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by salolo(m): 6:10am On Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for this info
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by kingjovi(m): 6:24am On Nov 27, 2012
Quite informative. God bless you Oga Lawyer.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by STEPHENOKWARA(m): 6:57am On Nov 27, 2012
True talk…WITNESS
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by toprealman: 8:17am On Nov 27, 2012
This is one of the best stuffs I've seen in the 'almighty' frontpage. Sure kids will find it boring, just like we all abhorred NTA news back in the days.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by toprealman: 8:18am On Nov 27, 2012
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by tunde1200(m): 9:03am On Nov 27, 2012
Dlaw you are fantastic for this info.
You should expect my call please.
Thanks
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Ijebulogic(m): 9:05am On Nov 27, 2012
Thanks Lawyer your post is extremely appreciated (and for me personally...well timed.Please do readers a favour and walk through the simple step by step stages to taking legal posession and owning title to "omo-onile" land. Below is my laymans attempt of the steps i assumed (which is probably wrong) and some questions i had for each stage. Please point me in the right direction.
1. Preliminaries, Site inspection and meeting family head, agree price etc
2. View title papers - please does family land have any form of "registered title" at Alausa - e.g. a global C of O? (or is this just for govt land); would you advise one buys family land if there is no such legal title? I've also heard the "Gazette" being mentioned...whats the difference and which one has better standing in Law?
3. Do a search at Lands to ensure land is not commited etc
4. Commission a survey of the land to map out your plot - what exactly do the Beacons signify and is it 100% essential that Beacons are put in the soil for the survey. Does the "Beacon number" appear on the title document?
5. Get a lawyer to prepare a deed of assignment - i.e. confirming that a portion of land on the global C of O has been assigned to the buyer?
6. Payment and exchange of cash for title/ assignment docs
7. fencing to take posession
8. application for "Governors Consent" and C of O in my name?? (please guide as i'm not clear which title document is required)

apologies for the layman understanding above but please help fill the gaps in very simple terms. Many thanks and well done!
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by masotemi: 9:22am On Nov 27, 2012
lawyer: 1. THE LAND UNDER ACQUISITION FOR A SPECIAL DEDICATED PURPOSE SCAM:

This Scam is very rampant especially in Rural Lagos such as in areas like Alimosho, Epe, Egbe, Ikotun, Ifako, Alakukuo, Iba, Iyana paja, Ikorodu, Igbogbo, Ayobo, Badagry and some areas in Ibeju Lekki etc.

The simple gist about this kind of Land Scam is that the Government based on different regimes past have ear marked some projects in some of these areas that they intend to execute in future. For example proposed bridges, schools, government housing schemes, museums, pottery villages, cemeteries or buildings of national or state importance and have allocated hectares of land for this huge projects from these communities. At times the government uses its power to take these lands off these communities based on certain reasons best known to them but in almost all situations they compensate the community they took these lands from and warn them to stay clear off these lands.

Well we all know the way thing work in Nigeria. The government might acquire these hectares of Land but information about the location of the land might be very sketchy and they might not even fence it. But being a Government land it has been recorded in their system and whenever a new administration decides its time to look into that project as a priority they now go and acquire their lands but one thing the Government always does is to put various sign boards around warning people that the land has been acquired by the government and trespassers should beware of the land.

But this is what these Land Scammers would do next:

1. They will monitor for months the frequency of government officials that come around to view the lands if they are still secure and wait till the vists become less regular.

2. They will now send their boys to go and remove the signboards at night one by one so that you won’t know where the government land starts or ends.

3. They begin to parade and patrol these areas as owners of the land and claim it belongs to their community

4. You are desperate for a land and you don’t do due diligence or call a lawyer versed in land search to carry out a thorough investigation and you end up paying for the land.

5. You will enter 1 chance because the land wasn’t theirs in the first place, you can’t build on it, you can’t recover your money because they are rouges and finally your house will be demolished compulsorily because you had no right to be there in the first place because that government school has been zoned to be on that land by fire or by force.

TRUE STORY:

A Woman called me last year to help her do a search for her after she read some of my blogs on Nairaland. Funny enough her husband was already quarreling with her for delaying the payment for a land an omoonile took them to view a land around Igando side to buy and that the land was a virgin land and they has been no dispute on the land either legally or personal. After discussing the price, they said they should go and pay the money to the Baale since the land belongs to him and the Omoonile stated that no other person has been on the land apart from the Baale’s descendants. She was very curious because they just kept pointing to the land from afar without giving them a full tour of the land but they kept on haranguing her pay quickly because other people were also interested in the land.

When she later called me, I asked her if a surveyor has gone to take the coordinates of the land to chart it, she said no because she didn’t have any surveyor and contracted me to go and do the search. I called the Omoonile and pretended I was the brother of the woman who was actually the one who was to pay on her behalf and I was carrying N3Million cash to pay them. The Baale said he will personally meet me to collect the money. He was dressed in his full Baale Regalia when I got to his palace and with his other chiefs ready to divide N3Million. I told them I wanted to see the land personally and they told me since ‘my sister has already seen it there was no point again’ I told them no that I want to take pictures for my architect and the reluctantly agreed. On getting to the site I was advised not to walk into the bush because of snakes but after I pay they will cut the grass properly for me to see my land. I told them ok and told my other colleague to write them a cheque and discuss money matters with the. That check matter distracted them while I ventured into the land to look around to try and see if I could see any beacon number or foundation on the land to query them. I saw something better. A Big sign showing the proposed NYSC Permanent site and buyers should beware buried deep in to the ground. Can you imagine?

On further investigation I found out that there is presently a court battle between some community members and the lagos state government over that NYSC camp site. That’s how I shouted and started querying them that they are about to sell us a whole NYSC Camp land and some of them started speaking gibberish. Some just decided to walk away since they knew game was up, while one brandishing a matchet was just screaming that the land is theirs and government cannot take it from them blah blah. I now asked them why they didn’t tell us they were about to sell us NYSC camp land and he said its not his business to educate a buyer on the land to buy because that should be their lawyers job and that their own is to sell any land to collect their money till they tell them otherwise and if I don’t buy, another person that isn’t sharp or smart will buy and that’s how they bullied me to get out of that place.

QUICK TIP TO AVOID THIS SCENARIO:

1. If you’re going to visit a land for the first time before you call in the professionals such as me or a surveyor, make sure you walk through the whole land and check the 4 corners of the land to see if there is any beacon number or foundation or any object on it. Study the land well to see if any object has been removed. If your not sure, continue to ask the seller repeatedly why that land is vacant and what is prompting them to sell. 7 out of 10 times, if you continue to ask that question, you will get the same response but a fraudulent one will continue to change his story or add new hidden details that is worth checking out before you commit that money.

Bottomline Shine your eye well well before you go and throw away your money to buy Government Land. Fashola no go pity you o!
God bless you greatly for this insightful information.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 27, 2012
toprealman: This is one of the best stuffs I'be seen in the 'almighty' frontpage. Sure kids will find it boring, just like we all abhorred NTA news back in the days.
Lol, back then, the news seemed to last forever.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by nuella50: 10:04am On Nov 27, 2012
I DID FO...OL, THIS IS WHY YOU WILL GO AND MAKE SUCH MISTAKE TOO, ABI YOU JOIN FOR THE CHOP AND CLEAN MOUTH PPLE? THIS IS VERY EDUCATIVE KK. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Ogosoga: 10:35am On Nov 27, 2012
God bless you Lawyer, this is highly informative and educative.
I gain a lot from this.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by hbrednic: 10:54am On Nov 27, 2012
happy birthday d-law and many thanks for the article.great job.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by aglomar: 11:29am On Nov 27, 2012
God bless u Lawyer. Put d swindlers out of business!
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by miqos02(m): 11:53am On Nov 27, 2012
tokunbobo: Thanks sir. Please I think I'll need your assistance. I'm planning to buy half plot in Simawa from an agent and I feel I should make proper research before buying it. Although its very cheap. Please let me have your contact. Here's my email: tk_toks@yahoo.com. Thanks
pls how much is a plot in simawa area, some one told me its 400k,
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by cmespeak: 12:11pm On Nov 27, 2012

shidoshi: meaning undecided undecided undecided[color=#006600][/color] smiley cheesy wink

I read through and sincerely very informative,this is what we expect to see in the front page of nairaland not only romance threads talking nonsense,i wonder about naiaraland moderators,80% of front page news are mostly romance,romance,romance what are the other moderators doing.nairaland moderators and SEUN should pls sit up and priorities front page stories.
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
I did. If you are thinking of buying a land I advise you to read it
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by aglomar: 1:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
Thanks lawyer!
Re: Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
masotemi: God bless you greatly for this insightful information.

Gosh! Did you have to quote all that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Total Cost To Fence 2 Plots Of Land / Building Collapses In UNIZIK, Awka, Anambra State (Photos) / Construction Of 4 Bedroom Duplex + 2 Flats In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.