Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,793 members, 7,915,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 06:56 PM

Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa (9860 Views)

Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why / United States Visa Waiver Program And Africa / What's The Difference Between Nigeria And America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:08am On Nov 29, 2012
(I had been meaning to make this thread and had issues with spamming and me being banned - eek! Let's hope this works)

This thread is dedicated to pictures showing how anyone would want Nigeria and/or Africa to ideally look like. It could be anything from cities, towns, concepts, ideas, infrastructures - anything. Please feel free to contribute.

Some people might call this thread a frivolous daydream, but dreams spark ideas and ideas shape reality. Just serving up inspiration for our policy makers with good intentions (if they exist), and those who want to make a real, grounded difference.

I will start with Lagos (watch out for next few posts):

A truly world-class and developed city, with highrises as high and intimidating as the tycoons and corporations that run them:

1. Lagos Island Skyline at Night:

2. A street in Victoria Island:

[img]http://www.concierge.com/images/destinations/destinationguide/usa+canada/usa/newyork/newyorkcity/newyorkcity_022p.jpg[/img]
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 3:13am On Nov 29, 2012
NYC never looked so good wink grin

j/k
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:17am On Nov 29, 2012
More on Lagos:

3. Random picture taken in Surulere:

[img]http://culturefix.files./2009/06/2009_06-new-york-367-street-view.jpg[/img]

4. Travelers using waiting on train station platform via North-bound line from Ikeja to Abeokuta:
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 29, 2012
Crayola1: NYC never looked so good wink grin

j/k

Why don't you contribute? grin
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by OmidanOjuloge: 3:20am On Nov 29, 2012
Loool Nigerians can lyk 2 dream ehen
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:36am On Nov 29, 2012
Heading Eastward, we pass the Niger bridge connecting the twin cities of Asaba (voted top 10 most livable city in the world)and Onitsha into the east (a commercial giant), where we enter Onitsha Main Market, the largest shopping district worldwide by landmass (an ode to consumerism?)

1. Niger Bridge, Onitsha ahead:

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 3:44am On Nov 29, 2012
I think for the SE dense economic cities will spring up grin

Like Tokyo, Japan:

Hong Kong

Or Seoul:
[img]http://alumni.wustl.edu/Community/PublishingImages/Seoul.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-MmwU4H_kPF0/TVQOruYx5MI/AAAAAAAAAHU/owmoq9hVkKA/s1600/117338366413069_616886_seoul_streets_at_night_0.jpg[/img]

The region's small size would probably benefit cooperation more than other placessmiley
Maybe a dedicated rail line between all 5 states cheesy

For parts of the North maybe something like Morocco, Qatar, and Egypt smiley

The SS maybe Miami grin
[img]http://hr.fiu.edu/uploads/image/rsc_Miami2.jpg[/img]
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:44am On Nov 29, 2012
Onitsha Main Market, random street view-

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:45am On Nov 29, 2012
^^^^
Very Nice!
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 3:47am On Nov 29, 2012
The new Niger bridge grin

Dreaming but why not cool

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 3:54am On Nov 29, 2012
nnenna.1:
^^^^
Very Nice!

Thanks, I want to dream big cheesy

I didn't know if you wanted specific areas though I'm not too familiar with Nigeria like that so I was being general tongue
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 29, 2012
Rural Nigeria: The beautiful villages/countrysides which are train stations away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Quiet streetlights, laid back but enlightened indigenes with no interest in the pretensions of the cities,serene views of the Nigerian landscape, excellent healthcare for the elderly, sleepy college towns:

A local-government area in rural Benue State:
1. [img]http://1.bp..com/_5o3f0QALKX0/TRFNkOgUfTI/AAAAAAAAAKI/2g9rLoqNLQg/s1600/countryside.jpg[/img]

A serene view of a river, somewhere in Cross River state

Anambra State University, Igbariam:

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 29, 2012
Crayola1:

Thanks, I want to dream big cheesy

I didn't know if you wanted specific areas though I'm not too familiar with Nigeria like that so I was being general tongue

Na..nothing specific at all. I can't say that I am familiar with all areas of Nigeria like that either.

Keep it coming.
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:08am On Nov 29, 2012
While we may or may not get there in 3012, these places would have aready advanced beyond our wildest imagination. Case in point, Nigerian pan roof tops.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 4:11am On Nov 29, 2012
3012!? Jesus that's extreme pessimism grin
Nigeria should fold up at that point and call it a loss grin
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:12am On Nov 29, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
While we may or may not get there in 3012, these places would have aready advanced beyond our wildest imagination. Case in point, Nigerian pan roof tops.

Never say never. The first step towards reality is visualization.

Singapore made a huge transformation to success in only a few decades, as did Dubai. And it all started with dreams. and an idea.

Oya, enough with my cheesiness. Back to topic.
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Never say never. The first step towards reality is visualization.

Singapore made a huge transformation to success in only a few decades, as did Dubai. And it all started with dreams. and an idea.

Oya, enough with my cheesiness. Back to topic.

If dreams can get you places, Nigeria would have been on the moon by now.

We have dreams, we have the visuals, there's something we do not have and I'm sure we all know what that is.

Crayola1: 3012!? Jesus that's extreme pessimism grin
Nigeria should fold up at that point and call it a loss grin

grin Infact, right now, I think they should do just that.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:26am On Nov 29, 2012
Education:

Excellent and advanced infrastructures in schools, with state-of-the-art architecture designed to stimulate learning. Extensive libraries in universities and for the public, prize-winning professors and teachers. Students ranking high (worldwide) in crucial subjects matters such as sciences and mathematics:

1. University of Ibadan, World-class research institution:

2. Interesting architecture of a federal secondary school in Zaria:

3. An empty classroom, somewhere in Afikpo

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 4:38am On Nov 29, 2012
More on Education:

1. Department of Robotics, Federal University of Technology, Owerri:

2. National Library, Central location, Abuja:

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Crayola1: 4:40am On Nov 29, 2012
Parks:

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by mensdept: 4:55am On Nov 29, 2012
Great thread. This is what could have been if our people werent so concerned about following "men of god" and getting them private jets, awarding chieftaancy titles to thugs, dancing to Dbanj all night, tying Gele and spraying money, and being childish, cowardly, and complacent.

Good for them, since they wan act like Nig.ger Areans
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by mensdept: 4:56am On Nov 29, 2012
See fine airport and see Imo airport

Dayum

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 5:04am On Nov 29, 2012
mens dept: See fine airport and see Imo airport

Dayum

Lol.... grin

Isn't it a shame though that the airport was built by the community with zero input from the federal government?

Nigeria has a long way to go. I hope some government officials are reading this thread to see what real development will mean for Nigerians (but - will they heed?)

Good to dream sha.
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 29, 2012
Arts and Culture -

Extensive museuem and cultural preservation, where Nigeria's extensive history and ancient/modern arts are kept safely:

The New Nigerian Historical Museum, Kaduna - some popular displays

1. Reclaimed Benin Artworks:

[img]http://2.bp..com/_ALvqZc-q73k/TJeI-aS3SiI/AAAAAAAAFl8/NLPTP1kwnmA/s1600/IMG_8661.JPG[/img]

2. Reclaimed Ife Bronze Collection:

3. Reclaimed Igbo Ukwu pieces:

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by markus1133: 6:13am On Nov 29, 2012
wonderful
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:26am On Nov 29, 2012
Great Vision and hope. Love the thread. cool
Which Nairaland could be more constructive to inspire urban regeneration and development of Nigeria.

1. Tourist Rides

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by JameyMaxwell(m): 6:36am On Nov 29, 2012
Unless CORRUPTION is ERADICATED....
Am xorry folkz, buh diz iz still haw our luvly Africa will continue 2 look.

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:52am On Nov 29, 2012
1. Calabar Tourist Rides by innoson.

2. Fifth Niger Bridge

3. World Class Stadium Lagos

4. Residential Apartment Benue

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by TonySpike: 7:23am On Nov 29, 2012
While this is still very much possible, it would require serious anti-corruption drive, huge economic diversity and patriotic citizens to achieve this. Nigeria was headed this way in the 70's and early 80's, until one retarded General destroyed everything. The best way and option now to achieve this great ambition is by accelerating our dissolution to regional economy and autonomy. The current political structure in Nigeria is too unrealistic to develop our country to this standard.
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 29, 2012
More on art and culture:

Renowned presence of the performance arts, whether on stage or by Nollywood. Acting is seen as an honorable feat and actors/actresses revel in the nuances of the craft. Nigerian film is studied for its technical accomplishments and African-centered plots. Special effects and the "big" exploding silverscreens are common. Elaborate stage productions on some highstreets.

1. Screenshots from Controversial Thriller and box-office hit, "The Generals." Which is a fast-paced account of the 1966 coup ( shocked lipsrsealed)

[img]http://ashy2classy.files./2012/01/red-tails-screen-shot.png[/img]

2. Ikeja, Lagos: Long queue at ticket line for the grand opening of Stage Play The God's Are Not To Blame by Ola Rotimi. Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor and Alex Lopez as lead characters (Guess which):

3. Yenogoa: Home of the Annual Africa/Carribbean Movie Festival

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by ifyalways(f): 9:11am On Nov 29, 2012
Beautiful dreams! Just dreams cheesy
Re: Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa by rodeo0070(m): 10:35am On Nov 29, 2012
nnenna.1:
More on art and culture:

Renowned presence of the performance arts, whether on stage or by Nollywood. Acting is seen as an honorable feat and actors/actresses revel in the nuances of the craft. Nigerian film is studied for its technical accomplishments and African-centered plots. Special effects and the "big" exploding silverscreens are common. Elaborate stage productions on some highstreets.

1. Screenshots from Controversial Thriller and box-office hit, "The Generals." Which is a fast-paced account of the 1966 coup ( shocked lipsrsealed)

[img]http://ashy2classy.files./2012/01/red-tails-screen-shot.png[/img]

2. Ikeja, Lagos: Long queue at ticket line for the grand opening of Stage Play The God's Are Not To Blame by Ola Rotimi. Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor and Alex Lopez as lead characters (Guess which):

3. Yenogoa: Home of the Annual Africa/Carribbean Movie Festival

I like your imagination...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport / 2018 In Retrospect: News That Shook The Auto Airwaves In Lagos / General Bahrain Migration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.