Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,563 members, 7,951,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:34 PM

Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 (2253 Views)

Chelsea Vs Southampton (1 - 3) On 3rd October 2015 / Chelsea Vs Southampton (3 - 1 ) On 1st December 2013 / West Ham Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 1st December 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by luvola(m): 8:02am On Dec 01, 2012
The buzz surrounding defensive midfielder Lucas Leiva's long-awaited return may appear odd for a Liverpool team struggling for goals, but manager Brendan Rodgers sees him as a vital cog in his masterplan.

A thigh injury has sidelined the Brazil international since late August, restricting him to just four matches in 2012 as the 25-year-old was out for eight months after a knee operation last December.

His absence was highlighted as one of the reasons for the Reds' dip in form under Kenny Dalglish after Christmas and Rodgers believes his team have suffered equally.

Summer signing Joe Allen has been tasked with defensive duties in the intervening period but Rodgers hopes Lucas's return will free the Wales international to have a greater effect further forward.

``Lucas has worked really hard on and off the field and it is great credit to the medical team who have worked very hard with him,'' Rodgers said.

``He is at the best point he could be in training and I am not sure how much further he can go with the training because it is now about the games for him.

``It is just about getting the balance. It is finding the solution to control the game.

``We need three different types; one (Lucas) who is maybe more defensive, another (Allen) who can link the game and still get forward and another (Steven Gerrard) who can push on into the box and get goals.

``That is the balance we have been looking for and that has been the job this season, trying to manage that through all the games.''

Lucas, after a difficult start immediately after his arrival from Gremio for £5million in 2007, has proved his importance to the side over the last couple of years.

He was the club's young player of the year in 2009-10 and player of the year the following season to cement his place as an integral fixture in the side.

Having overcome a cruciate ligament injury, the first serious problem of his career, Lucas expected to return stronger only to manage just 74 minutes of Barclays Premier League action before being sidelined again.

But he is relishing a return against Southampton on Saturday at Anfield.

``I have been out for a long time so I think that my performance will get better as I get more games, but I am really looking forward to the weekend,'' he told liverpoolfc.com.

``It's another step forward. I think it will be like a fresh start for me.''

Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin is looking forward to Saturday's ``extra special'' trip, when he plans to get one over on idol Steven Gerrard.

The Reds captain has come under scrutiny of late, having yet to reproduce his best form under Brendan Rodgers, but is still adored by the Liverpool faithful and also by one of those set to line up against him at Anfield.

Southampton midfielder Schneiderlin began to follow the Merseysiders in his native France and cannot wait to pit his wits against the England star.

``It is a bit extra special to play Liverpool,'' said Schneiderlin, whose side's manager Nigel Adkins and top scorer Rickie Lambert are both ardent Liverpool fans.

``In France when you watch TV, you had to choose between Liverpool and Manchester.

``A lot of people six or seven years ago chose Manchester United, I chose Liverpool because I used to, and I still, love Steven Gerrard as a player.

``It will be special and I can't wait to play against him, but unfortunately he is going to feel bad because we're going to bring back three points.

``I will treat him like another player on Saturday. I just want to confront him and see what I can do against him.

``Of course, he is one of the best players in the world and that's what I want to play against every game. The best.''

Schneiderlin pinpoints Gerrard's finest hour seven years ago as the reason for his soft spot for Liverpool.

``I remember the day when Liverpool played AC Milan in the Champions League final,'' he said.

``I was in the academy at Strasbourg and we all watched the game in the same room and it was just an amazing atmosphere.''

While Liverpool come into the game on the back of a defeat at Tottenham, Saints are in the midst of a four-match unbeaten run.

Recent performances have been a far cry from those at the start of the season and Schneiderlin believes there is a growing momentum at St Mary's.

``It is very good when you look at the start of the season,'' he said.

``It was very tough, very hard but we have grown in confidence. Now we have been unbeaten in four games, it is very good.''

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345895/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by hurricaneChris: 8:41am On Dec 01, 2012
Once again am sittin at d KOP end of Anfield and welcoming all Liverpool faithfuls to this matchday.

Bfo i proceed, exactly 2day (1st Dec.) 1959 Great Bill Shankly was appointed to manage Liverpool....he started his reign on jan. 1st d next year. RIP Shanks!

When Liverpool were liverpool, this kinda match is a ''work-over''.
But i dont c any real threat in d Saints beside Rickie Lambart and Lalla. The return of ''Lord'' Lucas shld be d best news we have heard dis year.....beside Suarez xtending his contract.

Liverpool ar likely gonna return to 4-3-3 with Suarez-Sterling-Enrique leadin d attack.

Gaston Ramirez who was linked to a move to Liverpool for almost one year but leta signed for Southampton will definitely have a point to prove to REDS......but i dont c him as threat unlez on set-pieces.

In everytin i still believe dis match will c Suarez scoring a brace while d scoreline will be 4-1.....YNWA

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by NAIRA25(m): 9:52am On Dec 01, 2012
liverpool all the wayy....... If u love betting wella,then go with this

Over 2.5 thins
btts
And handicap 0:2

thats the surest bet ever
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by markus1133: 10:27am On Dec 01, 2012
1-0 ..
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by omoijoba(m): 3:18pm On Dec 01, 2012
YNWA....5 - 0 the final score hopefully
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
Its not on supersport
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 4:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
So far.. Nothing impressive, hopefully we will defeat them with 2 goals ahead.

Up Liverpool

You Will Never Walk ALONE!

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by mukina2: 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2012
agger scores for liverpool
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 4:47pm On Dec 01, 2012
Gooallllllllllllllllllllll

Up Liverpool
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nice save Reina
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
First Half Ends
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by Mrc1: 4:58pm On Dec 01, 2012
Liverpool have been controlling the match. 14 shots on goal. Lucas has allowed Gerrard and Allen to get further forward. Should be more than 1-0 up.

We've hit the bar a few times too but we are getting numbers in the box, and a lot of space down Southampton's left flank.

Great free-kick from Suarez hit the post, but good header from Agger to get the goal. Liverpool's front six is very fluid - so encouraging start.

YNWA !

2 Likes

Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2012
2nd Half Begins..

Welcome back!

Up Liverpool grin grin grin

YWNWA!
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 01, 2012
YWNWA! Make me proud boys
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:27pm On Dec 01, 2012
See me ... See Enrique oooooo

Chaiiiiiii
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by ceejay05(m): 5:34pm On Dec 01, 2012
How the hell will BR replace Allen with Hendo? angry i guess he rates hendo over Nuri sahin
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:49pm On Dec 01, 2012
Suarez poooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
Sterling need goal scoring sense ooooo ..Chai shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
Final Whistle

Liverpool 1-0 Southampton
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by Mrc1: 5:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
Full Time: Liverpool 1-0 Southampton Build play was good, especially in the first half, but should have been more than 1-0. Still 3 points !

YNWA !
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by bokohalal(m): 5:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
Liverpool has to learn how to put games away. YNWA!
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by pythonwizpro(m): 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2012
Mrc1: Full Time: Liverpool 1-0 Southampton Build play was good, especially in the first half, but should have been more than 1-0. Still 3 points !

YNWA !

Na so.. So many chances lost.
Re: Liverpool Vs Southampton (1 - 0) On 1st December 2012 by mikuz(m): 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2012
Thank God for Daniel.

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Vs Real Madrid. 2nd Leg, Copa Dey Rey. 26 February 2012, 9pm / Barcelona Vs Real Madrid (0 - 0) On 18th December 2019 / Stars Arsenal Has Lost Over The Years With Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.