Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,490 members, 7,878,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 03:20 PM

Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? (2719 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by suigeneris(m): 5:10am On Feb 12, 2008
TIME THEY SAY IS VERY VITAL IN ONES LIFE, THE EDUCATIONAL PATHWAY IN NIGERIA IS VERY FRUSTRATING AND ABOVE ALL TIME WASTING.WHY SHOULD WE INCLUDE THE NYSC AS A COMPULSORY PROGRAMME RATHER THAN A VOLUNTARY ONE.WE WE SHOULD TAKE A CUE FROM THE BEST EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS OF THE WORLD LIKE THE UNITED STATES AND THE UNITED KINGDOM.WE SHOULD SAY NO TO A THING LIKE "nysc" brought by the military.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by almondjoy(f): 12:18pm On Feb 12, 2008
A bloody waste of time.--A programme without any significant purpose in the lives of Nigerians.  But only a stage in the continous hopelessness in the lives of drifting "old cargos" masquerading as "youths"!  Frankly the name "Youth" Service is extremely hilarious! Which youths?--most are grandparents and they still qualify as youths! grin

Only a small delay to mask the pending doom of unemployment for most!  It was an amusement park--with fellow No Future Ambitionists like ma self just behaving any how.  Of course then I knew it was time to leave Nigeria. kiss It served as an eye opener to me when I discovered the kind of environment and policies I would have to work under.  One word--Depressing.  Thank God, I did not need housing and transportation since I "worked" my serving locaton in advance.  Oh hell--I was not going anywhere near the North------guaranteed! cheesy

No seriousness attached to it whatsoever. No sound orientation programmes, no mentors, no plan of actions and no definite direction as to where to go from there.  Just like a herd of cattle without any meaningful direction.  Most come out of whatever they said they did in "NYSC" and stay at home for like 5 years with no jobs. Like everything else in Nigeria, a waste of time, purpose and resources with no meaningful goals and outcomes.

It would have been a nice thing if the education system was well structured and employment opportunities are promising. NYSC then would have been a "sweet sensational" transitional process.  Unfortunately, what we have instead is an abysmal disgrace to the so-called "Youths"!

Just a governmental funded agency like all the others--designed to line the pockets of some imbeciles--with astronomical budgets carved out yearly to feed some devil chosen "Otumbas", while the real youths wallow in abject academic and professional poverty.

May God save them all!
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by alanrewaju: 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2008
I would not regard it as a waste, I believe it gives the opportunity to learn about other people. It's like a means of training young mind that the world does not evolve round just you,making them see the need to serve and create impart in others which i believe that's why You and I are Created.

I'm a 'Lagos boy' serving in a Cross River State, a place where in my widest dream never exist but I'm beginning to enjoy both the hardship and the adventure.Guys NYSC is good, The question should be what happens after it all?
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by Delta007(m): 1:32pm On Feb 12, 2008
alanrewaju:

I would not regard it as a waste, I believe it gives the opportunity to learn about other people. It's like a means of training young mind that the world does not evolve round just you,making them see the need to serve and create impart in others which i believe that's why You and I are Created.

I'm a 'Lagos boy' serving in a Cross River State, a place where in my widest dream never exist but I'm beginning to enjoy both the hardship and the adventure.Guys NYSC is good, The question should be what happens after it all?

Oh please, with the current state of things and the program itself, it's an absolute waste of time and resources. The original idea should and will always be applauded by any sensible individual but the "Nigerian factor" don dabaru everything. One year is alot of time to waste especially at an early age. If everybody, both private and public workers do their work timely and effectively, i'm 100% there 'd be a positive impact in every life in Nigeria.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by almondjoy(f): 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2008
alanrewaju:

I would not regard it as a waste, I believe it gives the opportunity to learn about other people. It's like a means of training young mind that the world does not evolve round just you,[/b]making them see the need to serve and create impart in others which i believe that's why You and I are Created.

I'm a 'Lagos boy' serving in a Cross River State, [b]a place where in my widest dream never exist
but I'm beginning to enjoy both the hardship and the adventure.Guys NYSC is good, The question should be what happens after it all?

See what I mean? You are in Nigeria and you never knew the place existed in your "widest" dream? grin

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! A whole Lagos boy. Wetin pipo when dey for Benin go dey think? grin
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by gentledove(f): 4:33pm On Feb 12, 2008
They called it National Year of Sex and Corruption where i served in Adamawa State. some even said its Now Your Suffering Continues. While others saw it as National Youth Service Corps. But honestly i see it as waste of time. bring people together for one year, people who have blood running through their vein, who have their hormones alive, who are vibrant and ready to do and undo, people who are adventurous.

it was a bloody year for me in 2004. You see condoms all over the place; if you are not careful and remember the daughter of whom you are, you end up joining them. the platoon thing, the miss camp thing, the macho man and the likes. i enjoyed it but men, the thing wey i take my eye see, my mouth no fit talk am. lipsrsealed angry
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by almondjoy(f): 9:43pm On Feb 12, 2008
gentledove:

They called it National Year of Sex and Corruption where i served in Adamawa State. some even said its Now Your Suffering Continues. While others saw it as National Youth Service Corps. But honestly i see it as waste of time. bring people together for one year, people who have blood running through their vein, who have their hormones alive, who are vibrant and ready to do and undo, people who are adventurous.

it was a bloody year for me in 2004. You see condoms all over the place; if you are not careful and remember the daughter of whom you are, you end up joining them. the platoon thing, the miss camp thing, the macho man and the likes. i enjoyed it but men, the thing wey i take my eye see, my mouth no fit talk am. lipsrsealed angry

You gat that right! Bunch of wild animals in a zoo I tell you--just dey do anyhow! I enjoyed maself then oooooooooooooh. But looking back now---I will not even attempt that NYSC rubbish now---People just do it because they have nothing else to do. What a pity!
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by amsky(m): 11:33am On Feb 13, 2008
NYSC in my opinion is USELESS. I wonder the person that woke up on the wrong side of his bed and envisaged such rubbish. People just use it to misappropriate funds,especially the officials.

I only went to my camp on the opening day,registered,went back home,planned my trip to England,and was monitoring my thing from there.I came back 3days to passing out,collected my certificate,and went to continue life!!!!

It is useless,and no child of mine will EVER know that such a thing exists. It's one big gimmick by those people to steal more money. angry angry
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by valatar(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2008
I'll be going soon. For some it's a good experience for me SCRAP IT BEFORE MARCH

When is the next batch [ my batch] going in any way
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by yemmight(m): 3:10pm On Feb 13, 2008
NYSC, I believe the purpose of creating it first hand work experience and community development, but now everything is an opposite.

The coordination, funding of the scheme is nothing one can be proud of. Corps don’t have accommodation, proper clothing/feeding. At the end of the day you come back and you tell yourself why do I have to waste another 1 year in addition to those I had in school?

But come to think of it. In the past, this is a programme every student will regard to as a dream come true. It is a programme where we choose our careers, where we connect to people you can hook up with either for marriages, jobs etc.

However, I will conclude that though the programme is not coordinated properly, but I will not consider it a waste. Keeping you busy for another 1 year could also prevent some school leavers from engaging in odd activities that may have negative effect on them. People are still connecting themselves in getting jobs.

Until they get it right, we must relent in making our grievances known to government but don’t let us condemn this programme outrightly please.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by ladani: 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2008
guys lets face fact,,the nysc thing is a great idea,,,,only the government is not making things good in the country, it another way to meet people,,,,,, smiley embarassedand life is all about hooking up with the right people, i only try things can get better in nigeria,,,
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 13, 2008
it's what u make of it.
i had a blast during my service year: them hot shawties, Community development service, orientation camp, the torture under the sweltering heat, maan!!
if u love life and you love being young and with fortune on your side- i served in a blue chip coy in abj- then trust me, it's really not that bad an experience
my service year ends tomorrow, and if i had to do it again, i sure will.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by princekay1(m): 7:09am On Feb 14, 2008
nysc is rubbish!
it is a military design, so we need to democratise it.
imagine this:

1. every corper chooses where he or she will serve.
2. corpers are automatically drafted to occupy all these low cost housing in their serving states with special security.
3. corpers are paid from consolidated account.
4. corpers serve at their choice place.

, then nysc can even be 3 years so that every nysc grd automatically apply for job with 3 years experience. period!
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by yemmight(m): 8:42am On Feb 14, 2008
princekay1

In all what you have said up here, I have not seen where any of it is applicable to NYSC. I dont think you have served b4 from what you just posted.

All we are saying here is that they are not managing it properly but the idea is very good. Those days, for those tht had NYSC experience can testify to it and even presently it still serve good purposes.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by ndubest(m): 6:31pm On Feb 14, 2008
Different Strokes for Different Folks cheesy cheesy cheesy

As you make your bed, grin grin

NYSC is a great idea

If you ever served
with vigour and the true patrotic spirit, you will appreciate the idea

I enjoyed it cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by rexfx2: 7:15am On Feb 15, 2008
i served in SHARIA Zamfara and i enjoyed every bit if it.

How?

Coz i understood that in lyf u don't want for the things you desire to happen to you coz in waiting, they might never happen; you [b]MAKE [/b]then happen instead!

Though my first time in the Northern part of the country, and also a Christian. I made Zamfara home. Home is where the hearth is, Not necessarily a geographical location. I created around me everything that made up the word "home" around me.

Its all about mindset and orientation.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by ndelta1(m): 9:18am On Feb 15, 2008
alanrewaju:

There is an adage in yoruba that says when you face some people you will sure back others, this means to some the Experience might be interesting and to some a hell on a Earth,

Am going to serve this year batch "A" my only interest is to see the outside world, if it is work i have 10 years of experience and for me to Serve as a Physics or Maths Teacher might be a waste of time coz i read Engineering and i work as an Engineer even before i entered into the higher institution,

And who knows one might find a lasting solutions to his/or her suffering, when serving as a teacher, the initiative is not bad, but the structure on ground is not labour friendly,
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by naijabands(m): 9:30pm On Apr 09, 2008
I respond to this thread with one outstanding emotion-Nostalgia, Is it the parades I never attended 'because i was always in a ganja-induced haze, or the endurance trek I went only because of the 'freedom' (no be small thing) I was assured of as a direct result of my association with certain members of the Armed forces?

I served in Anambra state, where there is HUGE mango tree on the parade ground; though I limited my own acrobatics to such places as the generator house, stream, hostel, and even mammy market,  I knew of quite a few people who preferred the open space guaranteed by that tree's 'shade' (at night o!).

If nothing at all, the 3 week period of orientation is worth  shocked it! yes, loads of drugs (nothing hard sha, )and crazy sex, you get to network. you meet people that might just help you up as you climb the rungs of life.

I am a wildlife biologist, but I was a social studies teacher (for the little time I was on ground wink), but I got the students interested in the lovely reptiles they have in abundance in that part of the country (the python named Eke readily comes to mind- these guys had some wonderful superstitions about these wonderful snakes, that I made a little fortune from carrying snakes from homes!! cool).

the gist there is that whoever kills the snake has to bury it like he/she would a great titled chief (beer, food, hearse, large plot and all) shocked, so they do the sensible thing- they avoid the snakes. Of course the sharp snakes have learnt to hide in homes (which have a lot of warmth to offer) from where I relocated them to the nearest bush for the paltry sum of NGN1k per snake! On average, I removed 6/7 snakes from homes everyday,

the morale of the story is this- though I am a wildlife biologist, I had NEVER before then had to handle snakes in uncontrolled environments, but by the end of the service year I had learnt to carry snakes without my 'oyinbo' snake catcher!!! That 1 I sabi during my service year.

You will get what you set your mind on getting out of the NYSC year.

Chikena!
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by echelon(m): 4:46pm On Apr 10, 2008
@topic

No, it is not.

Granted, there are lots of short comings of the scheme but I really enjoyed my service year.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by markdacas: 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2008
Pls has anyone in the house gotten any IV for Test for 7Up and APM Terminals Thanks
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by markdacas: 2:40pm On Apr 17, 2008
Men Ive not herad any
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by centseel(m): 4:46pm On Apr 17, 2008
Though they had good intentions for the programme but right now with the way it's being managed; it's just an arrant waste of time.
infact it should be scraped
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by stevoche(m): 9:13pm On Apr 20, 2008
NYSC IS MADNESS AND U CAN JUST IMAGINE WAT IT IS AFTER WORKING AS HEAD MARKETING IN A FIRM TO ENROLL FOR THAT CRAP CALLED NYSC"NIGERIAN YOUTH & SEX COMMISSION". FELT LIKE DYING ALL THE PARTICPANTS WANT IS WHERE CAN I EMPTY MY HORMONAL JUICE AND THE MARRIED ONES HAV JOINED IN THE RACE.WAT NONSENSE.THE GOVT. SHOULD LEARN TO CHANNEL THESE RESOURCES TO MORE PRODUCTIVE AREAS.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by luckyCO(m): 12:58pm On Apr 23, 2008
We are not asking whether you enjoyed it or not. You enjoyed doesn't mean it might not be a waste of time.
You enjoyed it while majority of others didn't means there is something wrong with the system.

By the way how many people scale through by the virtue of NYSC, get good job and leaving comfortably? Check the statistic you will see it is less than 8%.

For a graduate to waste I mean waste 1 year signing paper Up and saying calling it Youth Service, I think with every clarity that there is something very wrong with the system.

For me am of the opinion that they should review the system. They should make NYSC three Months of Intense learning at various focal points at different locations of the state, at the end of the three months, FG will gather all the money aught to have spent on each person at various processes rest of the other month then the person will start life with it until youth empowerment becomes evident in Nigeria.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by bsanya(f): 7:52pm On May 01, 2008
well NYSC is not a waste of time but the FG would've gathered all the money wasted on Corps members Khaki,orientation e.t.c and give it to them after the completion of the programme either @ the Polytechnic or University level.They should give it a trial and unemployment will be reduced to the minimal so far the so called graduate can managed the money given to them.
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 05, 2008
It was never a waste of time, for me anyway.
Although u could say the original intentions of the originators has been thwarted through years of neglect and corruption, the conclusion still is that life is what u make of it.
I served in calabar,cross river state & was fortunate to have been a member of nccf over there.
Though the scheme itself was bad, the joy of it all was in being able to associate with, and reach out to communities within the state through the rural rugged evangelism and other outreaches organized by NCCF.
So i think when u have a goal (POSITIVE) or focus 4 ur service year and strive hard 2wards it, every hardship u may encounter in the course of it will be wiped out by the joy of victory @ the end.
CHEERS ALL!
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by sucess001(m): 3:55pm On May 06, 2008
whoever came up wit this outrageous idea, ?

NYSC is the bomb, wat other avenue will u get to live,chat and meet over 4 thousand youhs all gathered in the same place, wat other avenue will u ve to do all activities of all kinds, when will u get the opportuniuty of excaping from corrupt police officers except wen u re on ur uniform, i can assure u, am a corper serving in lagos and am having the blast of my life, besides, its a genuine opportunity to contribute to ur society, NYSC rocks!!! cool wink
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by donmayor(m): 7:53pm On May 07, 2008
Waste of time. People should not be forced to waste 1 year of their lives on a scheme that hardly adds value.
If Nigerians don't want to do away with it, then they should either shorten the length or make it voluntary with higher allowances and pegged number of applicants to allow those who have no plans to gamble with NYSC.
What contribution are you making to the society by doing NYSC? Teaching students without dedication? Having fun?
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by shawn123: 9:07am On May 16, 2008
sad waiste of time, intellect and energy. Imagine spending (5+ x) years in school, x being the no of years of strike. You are over aged by the time you graduate. Then you have to spend 1 whole year of absolute crap. Why is Naija and our ways so backward. By the time we are through with the one year of NYSC, our mates in the western world are through with their masters and working, young brains, higher productivity.
I went to a federal university and i have met people from differnt parts of Nigeria, so NYSC is no difference. It shld be made voluntary. The program still exists because of the contracts some people get during the whole excercise
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by vicodum: 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2008
you only need to have a vision to understand that it is not a waste of time. Tell your self it is not a waste of time because it .is not
Re: Is Nysc A Waste Of Time? by khufu: 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2008
it is the best way to waste ones precious time, and one year at dat! i would merrily scrap the scheme if i have my way. i came to serve my fatherland from the US and spent one boring year in Ebonyi state. i will prefer to give each graduate about 50k instead if i were mr president.

(1) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About NYSC Relocation/redeployment Process / Nysc 2018 Batch A Call Up Print To Start On Monday / FG Is Owing Corp Members Alawee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.