Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,122 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:07 AM

US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court (5695 Views)

Chief Justice Of Nigeria Just Saved Nigerian Judiciary / Obama-linked US Firm Behind APC Campaigns –punch / Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by GARRIx7(m): 1:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
taharqa: My frnd dont just go there u hear. I hv personally made the concious decision to stay off debating this Salami issue cos of its possible extremely negative effect on d image and integrity of d judiciary, which is in all our interests. Howeva, dont behave as though Salami is clean in all dis. Salami was in communicatn at various times with oppositn politicians whose cases he was overseeing as head of d Appeal court (as proven by details of MTN call log); what was d judge discussing with dem about, just sharing sm of those beautiful yoruba greetings perhaps? Do u know sm of d CSOs who were vehemently supporting him last yr hv abandond him (eg Joe Odumakin's group)... Abeg guy, just let sm mata rest; it is to all our interest

Shaarap dia!!

If you can't read well, then go and learn how to before responding to my posts...
They weren't talking about the guilt or otherwise of the parties involved....
“On August 18, the National Judicial Council (NJC) suspended the president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami, after he refused the NJC's directive to apologize to the NJC and the chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu. Salanii had accused Katsina-Alu of interfering in the proceedings of the 2007 Sokoto State gubernatorial court case.

In an attempt to settle the dispute, the NJC set up three panels to investigate the disagreement. The panels declared neither justice was at fault, declared the issue resolved, and requested that Salami apologize to the NJC and Katsina-Alu. The Nigerian Bar Association reached contrary findings, and Salami refused to apologize. After the NJC suspended Salami, President Jonathan used his constitutional authority to recommend the compulsory retirement of Salami and appointed Justice Dalhatu Adamu as acting president of the Court of Appeals. The case raised questions regarding the partisan nature and level of independence within the judiciary. Salami appealed the ruling, and the court case continued at year's end”.
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by Demdem(m): 1:27pm On Dec 05, 2012
taharqa: My frnd dont just go there u hear. I hv personally made the concious decision to stay off debating this Salami issue cos of its possible extremely negative effect on d image and integrity of d judiciary, which is in all our interests. Howeva, dont behave as though Salami is clean in all dis. Salami was in communicatn at various times with oppositn politicians whose cases he was overseeing as head of d Appeal court (as proven by details of MTN call log); what was d judge discussing with dem about, just sharing sm of those beautiful yoruba greetings perhaps? Do u know sm of d CSOs who were vehemently supporting him last yr hv abandond him (eg Joe Odumakin's group)... Abeg guy, just let sm mata rest; it is to all our interest

The same MTN call log which the NJC had listened to and found Salami not culpable. Is there any other log that incriminates salami in ur possesion that hasnt been handed over to NJC? I dont care if salami is sack today but those that were suppose to investigate him and would probably lead to criminal prosecution says he has done nothing wrong. Why do u prefer to stick with Oyinlola's position that salami is guilty but ignore the NJC's position?
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by GARRIx7(m): 1:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
Demdem:

The same MTN call log which the NJC had listened to and found Salami not culpable. Is there any other log that incriminates salami in ur possesion that hasnt been handed over to NJC? I dont care if salami is sack today but those that were suppose to investigate him and would probably lead to criminal prosecution says he has done nothing wrong. Why do u prefer to stick with Oyinlola's position that salami is guilty but ignore the NJC's position?

Don't mind the guy....
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by Wallie(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Mavor: You are missing the point. What makes the US court superior to the Nigerian court? Ok, so if the US court rules in their favor, what happens? They will refuse to adhere to the Nigerian ruling?? In Nigeria!! Lol. If they have grievances and they have no confidence in the Nigerian judicial system, why not make their case through our very excellent media? Why not take it to the International Court of Arbitration?

Actually, you're the one missing the point of the OP. The court already ruled in Nigeria against GE. What the other company is trying to do is to get the US courts to recognize and enforce the judgment against GE in the US. If that happens, GE will have no choice than to pay because a lien will be placed against their property/business and get auctioned off to pay the judgment. However, if the US courts do not recognize the judgment, the other company has no choice than to try to enforce the judgment in Nigeria.

One of the detriments to Nigerian companies and state governments dealing with western companies is the inability to enforce judgments due to the perceived corrupt judiciary.

It may very well be that the Nigerian company in this case has a strong case against GE and should be compensated. But in a situation where you can’t trust a judgment not to be biased or impartial, foreign courts will just paint the entire judicial system as being corrupt thereby scuttling real grievances against western companies.

I've seen cases where US companies set up subsidiaries in Nigeria and bail before fulfilling their obligations especially when it comes to taxation. In such a case, Nigerian business partners have every right to go against the parent company in the US but such cases rarely succeed because the Nigerian judicial system can’t be trusted.
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by AndroBlaze: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2012
They should just mention the Ibori case- case closed.
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by taharqa: 11:55pm On Dec 05, 2012
Demdem:

I hv told him to let dis rest, and am telling u d same tin...the NJC decision on d log was cos of d judiciary. Ask yrself what he was discussing with people whose case u are presiding (smthing that is not done in d judiciary) and why credible groups and individuals (myself inclusive) that were vehemently fighting for him initially hv eida publicly or discretely abandond him?.. Am not saying he did this or that wrong stuff, but there are certain he shldn't hv done and for d sake of judiciary we dont need to investigate furda into it since he has reportedly already decided to retire... Lets rest it
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by Nobody: 2:51am On Dec 06, 2012
Why can we just get rid of all these corrupt leaders and do away with them for once and for all?!
Re: US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court by Demdem(m): 4:52am On Dec 06, 2012
taharqa: I hv told him to let dis rest, and am telling u d same tin...the NJC decision on d log was cos of d judiciary. Ask yrself what he was discussing with people whose case u are presiding (smthing that is not done in d judiciary) and why credible groups and individuals (myself inclusive) that were vehemently fighting for him initially hv eida publicly or discretely abandond him?.. Am not saying he did this or that wrong stuff, but there are certain he shldn't hv done and for d sake of judiciary we dont need to investigate furda into it since he has reportedly already decided to retire... Lets rest it

Am quite sure those that investigated him are much more knowledgeable than both of us. They would have listened to these logs and realized that it has no bearing or effect whatsoever in the case.
Am not bothered about their discussion even now that I know its not incriminating. If its not done in the judiciary like u stated then why was he exenorated? Or are u insinuating that the investigators have also been paid by ACN or they don't know what they are doing?

U said judiciary, what do u mean?

Av been to foras where members from the bench mixes freely from those from the bar, judges attending social gathering etc afterall they are humans first.

An incorruptible judge will remain such no matter what and vice-versa. Salami has not been found wanting despite all investigations against him. What else do we want? How many judges in Nigeria has been subjected to such and still found clean? Abegi free him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja / An Imam Who Converted To Christianity / Ameachi: PDP Senators Walkout Was A Plan With Bukola Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.