Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,024 members, 7,883,542 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:26 PM

Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School (10741 Views)

Teaching In Ph,interview On Tuesday / Sound And Competent Teachers For Part-time Teaching In Lekki / Vacancy exist in a Private School In Ikotun, Alimosho LGA, Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by munaco: 1:44pm On Dec 05, 2012
omo the money go do u die. it is better u leave ur house everyday than staying indoor doing nothing and u will loose respect. Just find a lesson or look for some student wey there papa fit give u private tutorial lesson. omo life start from nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by assalaamat(m): 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2012
i've hnd in accountancy upper credit to be precise but,i do not want to look for job again.all i need is someone that is in biz already,who i can learn the biz from,so that i can be self-employed.i'm really tired of looking for job,i wana be self-employed.pls.help
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by misreal(m): 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2012
embarassedhow i go take get work wen i finish skul.God help me oh.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 05, 2012
misreal: embarassedhow i go take get work wen i finish skul.God help me oh.
Don't set yourself up for failure. Don't think that way. Be positive and develop yourself as you school.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by donem: 2:16pm On Dec 05, 2012
3direct: grin grin
SMH
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Thankgodiyke(m): 2:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
Pls can u send me d addres i studied edu bio..And hav bin at home since i 5nish my NYSC..I ll b grateful..
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by salolo(m): 2:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
yes of course, many are doing it
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Professor2know: 2:42pm On Dec 05, 2012
Even those we all assume are ''gainfully" employed in blue chip companies don't think of settling down where they are without making attempt to aspire further how much less stressful teaching job in a private school receiving pittance at the end of the month. So i think settling down is a matter of choice.

As to getting married even at your age, it depends on your wife to be; if she is ready to eat concocted "okra" soup garnished with "shawa" fish and locus beans until things improve. If otherwise, then think twice ooo!!!!
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by braine(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2012
Is lecturing at a university any better?
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by dudulomo: 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
Hello House,

What is your opinion on a Lagos State Teaching Job?
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by austinemar: 3:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
bro, i used 2 see teachin job as a very low profile job. Buh my tot abt dat changed wen my elder bro got one. Altho d pay was abt 25k only buh frankly, his total monthly income from the same school was around a 100k. The trick is gettin to engage in private tutorials wif ur students and u wil be surprised @ hw much u wil get. Although it comes wif lots of hard work. So if ur not lazy, i bet u can also achieve even greater tins. Most importantly,Trust in God cos He alone is the author nd finisher of our faith. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Doctorflaky(f): 3:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
u can my bro. I've a bro dat lives on dat wit his wife nd two children nd dey are comfortable. d children are super looking healthy. d secret is dat he has series of home student especially when u target d rich,u'll b paid well 4home lesson. Bros also no dat there is no job dat can give u a ful com4table life,because d more u earn d more expenses u've.d logic is cut ur cloth according 2 ur clothe.

1 Like

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 05, 2012
. 4. Get links and make effort to know people. Civil engrg jobs is about knowing people.[/quote]you are right,but i have tried so many interviews and all they keep saying is 5-10yrs experience,and i don't know any engr i can be going out with,i don't even mind if he's giving me tokens but who is ready to take one,is the issue
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
lola.luv:
Op.
I do feel your pain.
The only place teaching will pay off is in the North.
Private schools in Kano pay reasonably well, and Yola too. Standard of living is quite cheap too.
If not for the Nigerian situation, I would have asked you to look into a possible relocation.

In Abuja, you need a PGDE in Education in addition to your degree to earn reasonable cash. But then, the money is barely adequate due to the high cost of living.

Have you looked into learning a skill? Guys are making serious cash off making ladies' hair and nails.

A trio of brothers did the hair and nails of the bridal train at my friend's wedding and the amount they carted home was more than some people's salaries!

If you're good with your mouth, please walk into the FM nearest to you and audition.
If you're good with business, think of what to sell. Think of a need that you can proffer solution to.

Even as you do all this, look neat and attractive in well coordinated colours. Be cheerful in all you do, be active at your place of worship. Seek to improve your diction, your reasoning. And you will get to nirvana sooner than later.

Please do not despise little beginnings and keep your dreams in view.
All the best!
i play keyboard and drumset for my church and churches around and i do sing,i appreciate your advise
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Teejayphillip(m): 4:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
Yes u can bro... It all depend on ur taste of job...Sum find pleasure in teachin while others dnt...

But ur case is diff,tis jus becos u've bin jobless for 3 gud years...

Jus settle down wif the right woman,sumone whu can live wit u during dis hard time,n neva relent.... So far u gat ur Certicate n u aint lazy,heaven will surely open 4 u sumday....

Evrytin we all go thru in life,there's alwayz a reason for it..Ur God understand ur delay
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Kayordey: 4:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
mollytinrox: If you want to teach, and you read a biology-related course, send me a pm. A school I know has been advertising since october. I can send you the address and the details.
am a graduate of microbiology.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Curiouscity(m): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
Nice thread with sincere and useful responses. I respect every response on this thread except few.

@OP,
Like many have said, it depends on the private school and the cost of living in the area. I did same thing in 2004-2006 just for 10K a month. It was very poor, but it gave me freedom to run a lesson center, took on a part-time teaching in govt school, and most importantly allowed me to attend job interviews. In 2006 I was face with 2 options: NNPC or Graduate studies in UK. U can guess my choice.
Most Private school tie U down even when they pay close to civil service scale. So decide on what U want. Yes, U may not be able to settle down with a private school that pays less than 40K/month, but it is a stepping stone. U take money from there and go for job scouting or start small business. PLEASE, never despise humble beginning.

Best of Luck!!
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by JimmyBoy1: 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
Teaching is becoming very lucrative , depending on the level you are settling for. Since you said you have HND in civil engineering, then you can start out with teaching Mathematics and Physics, preferably as a private home teacher. Some yeye private school with not pay more than 25k. However, there are school that pays as much as 300k per month, but you need to improve on your qualifications to get such job, go for certification courses in education, big schools often prefer foreign certification.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Curiouscity(m): 5:35pm On Dec 05, 2012
pappy2000: @ Op I love your courage but I will strong advice you to do something else with your life.Teaching is a very myopoc job and you will see your dream fade away if you settle for teaching n couple with the indignity in the profession,the parent and the owner of the school sees you as nobody and you can beat a child even when the child is clearly wrong couple with the fact that the private school owners sees the school from pure biz perspective.You won't understand all this until you enter into the trade n before you know it you will be counting years in the job,Its better u hawk on the road than teaching unless you get some good international school which pay well and even at that teaching does not broaden your horizon

U statement demeans teachers and the teaching profession!! That teaching is been poorly rewarded in Nigeria doesn't make it worse than hawking. The two jobs serve different purposes. If your conclusions are valid, why do we still have many people teaching in private schools all over Nigeria? I bet U'll want your child to attend a private school one day as most average Nigerians do. So, who will teach them? Teaching is a calling for some people, for others it is a way to make ends meet.

We need more good/sound teachers in our educational system!!
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by leosskull: 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2012
what is all these comment??i am so disappointed at this forum,if u donot have anything to say,is best u keep ur mouth shut! my broda,if u really wanna teach the first thing u should do,is upgrade yourself before next year atleast do a course,any British course related to your subject specialization. there are dozen of courses u can do that would actually help u...for instance go to www.alison.com and also go to www.cie.org (cambridge international examination)-thats the key to the British schools and thats where the money is...believe me,you can make so much money as a teacher. bankers and even some oil company workers cant even earn wat u would b earning wen u develop yourself to that level. my guy,develop ursef and dont listen to trash. for the house dont give info when u dont know JACK a bout it.

1 Like

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Circle360: 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Your problem is not that you dont have a job to settle down. Your proble is that you dont want to work. Oh common man, you mustnt be paid big before you live your life. Civil engr is a pure praticle job man what d h__l do u wanta a teaching kinda'f a job fah. Look around you think outside the box, try to change your enviroment you'll surely discover whole lot of job opu2nty. Mind you, with 20k p/m you can run a family happely but ith largely depends on your choise and enviroment. Good Luck man.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by dljbd1(m): 7:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
Teach 4 a while nd gather d finance 4 ur Masters nd PhD (if u r gon settle 4 education fully) and become a lecturer. Am presently serving nd dts my nxt step after service...LECTURING!
U cn also start ur own private business bt u wld also need capital. So we r stil literally sayin dsame tyn. Anyways, once u start teachin nd hav saved enough, u wil av decided d nxt step 2tak. GOODLUCK 2us
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by oyebidemi(m): 7:20pm On Dec 05, 2012
My friend I am a private Secondary school teacher and your and we share the same fear! But I know that God will be of help if one call him BUT u must marry the person that understand and that love you for who you are, if this is in place, it may be hard but her love, encouragement, backup and prayer will make you press forward and contented.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by ignis: 7:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Sure, It depends on the amount they pay.
Also bear in mind that no condition is permanent
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by pappy2000: 7:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
Curious_city:

U statement demeans teachers and the teaching profession!! That teaching is been poorly rewarded in Nigeria doesn't make it worse than hawking. The two jobs serve different purposes. If your conclusions are valid, why do we still have many people teaching in private schools all over Nigeria? I bet U'll want your child to attend a private school one day as most average Nigerians do. So, who will teach them? Teaching is a calling for some people, for others it is a way to make ends meet.

We need more good/sound teachers in our educational system!!
Don't get me wrong teaching is a good profession if you have the calling but in Nigeria we all know tha most people who teach do it becos of frustration and jobless.before you crucify me most I didn't say all and the truth of the matter is I am not talking about other climes I am talking about Nigeria n if you are someone that loves Adventure and like to take risk then teaching is not good for you becos you will do the same thing for many years but if you have the calling then go ahead but of you don't then I will advise you look for something else to do instead of wasting your time in teaching
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by PrettieJ(f): 7:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
I have read so many unfortunate things here about the MOST noble of professions. All those big wigs and big earners surely got to where they are through the efforts of those disregarded TEACHERS.
@OP: With an HND in Civil Engineering, there are many prospects. Just look well. Your value system is what will enable you settle down or up. With a pay packet of 200K a week you may never get settled if your mind is not settled value-wise.
For teaching, it is not about the pay. The children are great and it is ALWAYS exhilarating to meet those guys and gals who have made it. It gives you great pride to be proud of.

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Mcfemad(m): 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
Op, please go with this. Its better for you, bro!
x-fire:

HND in civil engineering? Please do not teach. It won't help your career at all.
1. Somebody already spoke extensively why you shouldn't teach. It will narrow you down.
2. It will be extremely difficult to save for business if you decide to teach. You probably be living from hand to mouth, let alone save N200,000 in 2 years as someone suggested.
3. With an HND in civil engrg, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get a construction or consultancy job in the building industry. Forget the pay. Get the experience. Think of a PGD. At 30 years of age, you can still achieve a lot. I know civil engrs that started with 20k/ month and now earn reasonably.
4. Get links and make effort to know people. Civil engrg jobs is about knowing people. Start by attending NSE and NICE meetings (professional bodies). You can also think of safety by taking NISP HSE courses.
5. Develop yourself in engrg matters and seek advice around. Teaching should be a NO NO for you. N.B. I was once in similar shoes. Taught for only 2 weeks but had to resign because it was interferring my chances of going for interviews in various coys. That's what teaching in a private school can do. It will limit you.
Cheers!!!
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by gloriana(f): 10:44pm On Dec 05, 2012
assalaamat: i've hnd in accountancy upper credit to be precise but,i do not want to look for job again.all i need is someone that is in biz already,who i can learn the biz from,so that i can be self-employed.i'm really tired of looking for job,i wana be self-employed.pls.help
its gud u'v stopd lukin 4 a job. D problem wit so many of us is dat we r blind n av faild 2 c dat some people will NEVER EVER get a job no mata wat. Its nt a mata of God 4bid or its nt my portion,its a fact n d earlier we realise dis d beta. We av so many assets dat God has given 2 us free of charge dat can make us rich bt knwin how 2 use dem is anoda issue. Ur mouth is 1 of ur biggest assets. How,wen n where u use dem maks d diff. So d biga ur mouth d biga ur money, d smalla ur mouth,.......lol. Dat ws a joke anyway but if u want 2 knw y som pple wil neva get a job n hw u can use ur asset u r welcom 2 a free biznes picnic holdin dis decemba. If intrestd pls send ur name n fone no 2 08036316852. Venue n dat wil b sent 2 u.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 2:32am On Dec 06, 2012
Circle360: Your problem is not that you dont have a job to settle down. Your proble is that you dont want to work. Oh common man, you mustnt be paid big before you live your life. Civil engr is a pure praticle job man what d h__l do u wanta a teaching kinda'f a job fah. Look around you think outside the box, try to change your enviroment you'll surely discover whole lot of job opu2nty. Mind you, with 20k p/m you can run a family happely but ith largely depends on your choise and enviroment. Good Luck man.
it's not like i don't want to work o,i have nobody to connect me to an experienced civil engr
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by HiDee2(m): 5:01am On Dec 06, 2012
mollytinrox: If you want to teach, and you read a biology-related course, send me a pm. A school I know has been advertising since october. I can send you the address and the details.

Tanx man. U cud 4ward it 2 ds addres:
idowu2nice@yahoo.com
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 5:20am On Dec 06, 2012
chux4liv: Yes.. You can settle down with teaching.. But ur standard of living will be on average. One good thing about teaching is that u hv ample time for urself. They hv loads of holidays and with private lesson u are okay.. u can"t leave a bouyant life like ur counterpart in bank and telecomm secto.

This is a very GREEN LIE!!!!!! I am a teacher and there's nothing my banker and telecoms counterparts are wearing and doing that I can't. I go for trainings within the country and outside. I'll be going for another one in America early next year so tell me what bankers and telecomms pple are doing o that I can't do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti Muslims Excluded From Top Federal Jobs, Says NSCIA / Knowing People Can Effortlessly Secure You A Job. / How Can I Get A Job In A Polytechnic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.