Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,528 members, 7,968,493 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:21 AM

Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? (3527 Views)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Where do Atheists go when they die? / Do Atheists Have Hope? What Is Their Purpose In Life? What Keeps Atheists Alive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Logicboy03:

What was your point?
what kind of question is this?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
kwangi: what kind of question is this?

Simple question
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
Logicboy03:

Simple question
Which kain guy you be?
My point is you can't be religious and atheistic at the same time.
Is this simple enough?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
kwangi: Which kain guy you be?
My point is you can't be religious and atheistic at the same time.
Is this simple enough?

Your point is foolish.

Atheism is the disbelief in god.

Religion is a belief and a set of practices which are not always dependent on a belief in a god.

Simply put, you can be an atheist and religious at the same time.

Go and read about atheistic satanists or atheistic buddhists
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by EvilBrain1(m): 9:51pm On Dec 06, 2012
Logicboy03:

Your point is foolish.

Religion is a belief and a set of practices which are not always dependent on a belief in a god.

Also, there's such a thing as a secular religion. Religion only requires that you suspend your common sense and accept a world view that should be quite obviously bullshît. Belief in god(s) is common, but not required.

Just like Christians believe Jesus walked on water, many people in North Korea believe that the late Kim Kong Il hit 9 consecutive holes in one the first time he ever stepped on a golf course.

Either that's a religion, or the guy was really, really good at sports.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
Evil Brain:

Also, there's such a thing as a secular religion. Religion only requires that you suspend your common sense and accept a world view that should be quite obviously bullshît. Belief in god(s) is common, but not required.

Just like Christians believe Jesus walked on water, many people in North Korea believe that the late Kim Kong Il hit 9 consecutive holes in one the first time he ever stepped on a golf course.

lol @ Kim Jong il
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2012
Logicboy03:

Your point is foolish.

get over yourself dude.
You've been saying crap all along and here you are telling somebody his point is foolish when you can't Answer simple questions posed to you.
Don't worry you are not worth anybody's time.
Look at your pathetic definitions, tailored in baffling mischief. And you got the nerve to talk about foolish points.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
kwangi: get over yourself dude.
You've been saying crap all along and here you are telling somebody his point is foolish when you can't Answer simple questions posed to you.
Don't worry you are not worth anybody's time.
Look at your pathetic definitions, tailored in baffling mischief. And you got the nerve to talk about foolish points.

Google is your friend.

You know you are wrong grin
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
Evil Brain:

Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Bella3(f): 10:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
Logicboy03:

Your point is foolish.

Jinin Yesu! Did u just admit atheism is a religion?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 06, 2012
Bélla3: Jinin Yesu! Did u just admit atheism is a religion?

How did you foolishly arrive at that conclusion from my comment?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 4:01am On Dec 07, 2012
Logicboy03:

Dude, that's the implication of all your posts from the moment you decided to defend "Advocate666" confused grasp of the issue.
You might want to go through your posts once again.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 4:12am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: Dude, that's the implication of all your posts from the moment you decided to defend "Advocate666" confused grasp of the issue.

Make a logical argument and not just a declarative statement.

I never said that atheism is a religion. Only a crazy person would put such words in my mouth
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 4:18am On Dec 07, 2012
Logicboy03:

Make a logical argument and not just a declarative statement.

I never said that atheism is a religion. Only a crazy person would put such words in my mouth
For a start go back and answer all the questions you dodged.
Start from "Atheist buddhists". Thank you.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 4:40am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: For a start go back and answer all the questions you dodged.
Start from "Atheist buddhists". Thank you.

Buddhism is the religion. Atheism isnt.

Wow, you're foolish.

Simple google search will end your ignorance but you are proudly ignorant.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by FXKing2012(m): 5:18am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: "In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners" - Jonathon Miller.
I've found this to be true.
I don't know if anyone can give reasons why it is so.

becos they are lost and frantically in search of answers. A blind man needs help.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by FXKing2012(m): 5:24am On Dec 07, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Because of the damage religion does by these practitioners.

As long as religion brings forth good things it will have a role in society. If it brings forth the evil we witness on a daily basis then I would prefer to address these issues.

Think of religion today being a placebo pill filled with a poisonous substance. It might solve one or two isues but it creates a whole new set of problems that are much more dangerous.

pls list d problems created by religion as claimed by u.
the world wld have been much worse if not for religion, this is becos religion teaches uprighhtness and punishment for sin/evil which makes so many desist from evil.
The worst set of pple have been known to be atheists: from hitler to stalin to the worst serial killers.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by FXKing2012(m): 5:25am On Dec 07, 2012
musKeeto:
Hmmm.. Sounds more like Oyedepo and his winner mugus..
sounds more like another lost atheist
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 5:33am On Dec 07, 2012
FXKing2012:
sounds more like another lost atheist

how was congo?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by FXKing2012(m): 5:58am On Dec 07, 2012
Logicboy03:

how was congo?

congo is fine, the president sends his greetings. How was Somalia?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 6:08am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: "In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners" - Jonathon Miller.
I've found this to be true.
I don't know if anyone can give reasons why it is so.

I agree, Spot On. by the Original Author of those Words
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Bella3(f): 7:14am On Dec 07, 2012
Logicboy03:

sorry sir! Just asking.
Do you seriously hav to insult?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Bella3(f): 7:15am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: Dude, that's the implication of all your posts from the moment you decided to defend "Advocate666" confused grasp of the issue.
Dnt mind himgrin
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 07, 2012
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 07, 2012
~Royal~:

I agree, Spot On. by the Original Author of those Words
Can you think of any reasons why they are like that.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 07, 2012
omo_to_dun:
No, he didn't have to. I don't like when folks resort to insulting others in other to make a point. Of course, I have been guilty of that too.

As per the discussion, atheism is not a religion. It is simply a disbelief in God. Simple! You can be an atheist and be a Buddhist, because Buddhism has no gods. There are no atheist beliefs or tenets. Some believe in evolution, some don't; some believe in the Big B_ang Theory, others don't. The only thing atheist have in common is that they don't believe in a god. Period.

Buddhism has no god(s), so it equates atheism?
You realize buddhist beliefs include but not restricted to the following:
-There can be salvation from negative karma by reciting certain text and mantras. (According to som forms of buddhism)
-Hell is a plane of existence.
-The realm of happiness (Heaven)
-The divine.
-They offer prayers
-Spirituality
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 07, 2012
kwangi: Buddhism has no god(s), so it equates atheism?
You realize buddhist beliefs include the following:
-There can be salvation from negative karma by reciting certain text and mantras. (According to som forms of buddhism)
-Hell is a plane of existence.
-The realm of happiness (Heaven)
-A divine phenomenon.
-They offer prayers
-Spirituality

And with your stubbornness to yield to a superior argument, you did yourself into a deeper hole. Do you know that there are different types of Buddhism?

A Japanese Buddhist would likely be very different from a Tibetan Buddhist.

The features you mention, are not constant or present in all sects or schools of Buddhism. Many paths, one destination.

I hope you know that none of the features you even listed mentions a belief in a god?
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by AtheistD(m): 10:33am On Dec 07, 2012
FXKing2012:

pls list d problems created by religion as claimed by u.
the world wld have been much worse if not for religion, this is becos religion teaches uprighhtness and punishment for sin/evil which makes so many desist from evil.
The worst set of pple have been known to be atheists: from hitler to stalin to the worst serial killers.

Really? You want to go there. What about the crusades and jihads? Boko Haram? Jet setting pastors? Miracke cure prophets and prophetesses. More evil has happened under the banner of religion than at any other time.

Oh yeah... Spanish inquisition.

PS Hitler was a Xtian. He killed Jehovahs Witnesses too as well as nearly made the Jewish race extinct.

Tamerlane? Ethnically cleansed Xtians and Hindus from nearly half the known world.

Between Xtianity and Islam there is enough blood to last a millenia.
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 07, 2012
Logicboy03:

And with your stubbornness to yield to a superior argument, you did yourself into a deeper hole. Do you know that there are different types of Buddhism?

A Japanese Buddhist would likely be very different from a Tibetan Buddhist.

The features you mention, are not constant or present in all sects or schools of Buddhism. Many paths, one destination.

I hope you know that none of the features you even listed mentions a belief in a god?
Keep shut my friend if you're not sure what you are saying.
Are you blind?
Point out the beliefs I mentioned not universal in buddhism.
I expressly point the one that falls under that category out. Read through again.
Superior argument my ass.
My friend define god according to logicboy!
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 07, 2012
Re: Why Do Atheists Take Religion More Seriously Than The Practitioners? by FXKing2012(m): 10:41am On Dec 07, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Really? You want to go there. What about the crusades and jihads? Boko Haram? Jet setting pastors? Miracke cure prophets and prophetesses. More evil has happened under the banner of religion than at any other time.

Oh yeah... Spanish inquisition.

PS Hitler was a Xtian. He killed Jehovahs Witnesses too as well as nearly made the Jewish race extinct.

Tamerlane? Ethnically cleansed Xtians and Hindus from nearly half the known world.

Between Xtianity and Islam there is enough blood to last a millenia.

Claiming hitler was a Christian tells me u wallow in ignorance. Pls try making use of google in order not to sound too ignorant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Must Turn Away From Sexual Perversion: Homosexuality. / Jehovah's Witnesses in Here? / Finally It's The Rapture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.