Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,334 members, 7,971,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 03:10 AM

A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer (22224 Views)

Is This The Shortest Female NYSC Corper In Nigeria?(pictured) / PHOTOS: See The Hair Cut This NYSC Member Rocked To His POP / Cultists Machete Female NYSC Member In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by pek(m): 10:13am On Dec 05, 2012
@myike2. I noticed some inconsistency too. Which publishing company would employ a corp member and make her an editor? I believe there is more to this story. The boss could not have slapped her for requesting for her PC. She has people in high places.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by lightheart(m): 10:13am On Dec 05, 2012
topsyking: Pple don't judge the man..He might be right..you know how rude n saucy our naija girls can be..she must av done something bad for getting discipline
Ova n out

Since its safe to assume u see nothing wrong in beating a woman, look beyond that and read this:

Two reasons are at the root of the assault, Agbo says. She had severally asked Abanah to pay her salary and that of the magazine’s contributing journalists being owed months in arrears
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by olempe(m): 10:13am On Dec 05, 2012
ogbeche77: If this report is true, then the gender equality NGO have a job on there hands...
And i also thought NYSC said they have a strict policy of posting Corpers to Private firms.. The girl herself must have grease lots of palm to end up there..

Exactly my thought.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by olempe(m): 10:15am On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:

i didnt even read at all, just scrolled down to read people's comments. grin grin grin grin
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by olempe(m): 10:15am On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:

i didnt even read at all, just scrolled down to read people's comments. grin grin grin grin

Lmao.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by pharuk: 10:20am On Dec 05, 2012
What is it with people and long stories.

Thank God for paragraph, all i had to do is read each line from a paragaraph and its still too long
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by 9icetoo(m): 10:21am On Dec 05, 2012
topsyking: Pple don't judge the man..He might be right..you know how rude n saucy our naija girls can be..she must av done something bad for getting discipline
Ova n out
He might be right? Does that justify the violence? I am sorry to say it but u are an idiot. angry

3 Likes

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by ignis: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2012
free2ryhme: i thought NYSC said they have a strict policy of posting Corpers to Private ORGS ONLY POSTINGS TO SCHOOLS, AGRICULTURE
The girl must have runsed her way there.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Maleyo: 10:26am On Dec 05, 2012
omonla10: the story looks cool for a nollywood movie....titled ' i get mouth pass my boss'
hahahahahahahahahahah
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 05, 2012
after one hediot will say only 25% of women are marriageable.these are the kind of men who are supposed to be castrated and fed with their balls.beating an innocent woman for no reason.is this beast a type to marry as husband? HELL NO!
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by 9icetoo(m): 10:30am On Dec 05, 2012
free2ryhme: i thought NYSC said they have a strict policy of posting Corpers to Private ORGS ONLY POSTINGS TO SCHOOLS, AGRICULTURE
Well, there are always loopholes and a few greedy NYSC officials who aid corpers in securing places of primary assignment outside the assigned places. And hell, this is still naija if u know what i mean. grin

2 Likes

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Chuksaluta(m): 10:35am On Dec 05, 2012
I never knew that they still post corpers to private firms.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by jahwin(m): 10:35am On Dec 05, 2012
although dm get bad mouth sha.

The way I see Agbo's mouth, am beginning to suspect her. Some ladies are actually sarcastic.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by helenobia(f): 10:44am On Dec 05, 2012
[quote
author=penzino]A female National Youth Service Corps member has taken
the fight to her employer for allegedly assaulting her and plagiarising
her work.
Mary Agbo, 28 has waited for over a month for the first signs of justice
for an wrong she says no woman should ever have to face – violence
against women in the workplace.

On August 1, 2012, Agbo began her NYSC primary duty with the Garki
Gazette, an Abuja-based weekly lifestyle and events publication, located
within the premises of Eddy-Vic Hotels on Ahmadu Bello Way, Garki II,
Abuja. By August 17, Emmanuel Abanah, the magazine’s publisher and owner
of Eddy-Vic Hotels confirmed her as the Editor of the publication
“having satisfied preliminary conditions for the job”, he wrote in her
letter of engagement.

But on November 1, she filed a complaint at the Garki Police station
against Abanah, 35, for allegedly assaulting her after she requested a
Performance Certificate, the necessary documentation corps members must
obtain from their employers monthly, and mandatorily submit to the NYSC
to be entitled to their government allowance. She reported the assault
to the NYSC on the same day and asked to be reposted from Garki Gazette
citing fear for her life and an unsafe work conditions.

“He slapped me and pushed me, I hit my ear hard on an iron fence by his
garden. He started dragging my top (white NYSC vest) and my breast came
out,” Agbo told the Police. “He brought out his hand again and slapped
me. He called his manager and assistant to send me out of the premises
which they did”.

Agbo explained the events of November 1. In the morning while attending
her Community Development group meeting, she was advised to submit her
PC the same day as NYSC officials would be busy with the new batch of
corps members resuming the following week. Back at the office which was
locked, both Ada, Abanah’s assistant, and Sharks, the magazine’s
production manager advised she call the publisher. After several
unanswered calls and an SMS, Abanah alighted from his hotel room rude
and shouting at her for disturbing him. As she tried explaining herself,
he began beating her in anger, Agbo said.

A medical report from the Asokoro General Hospital signed by Dr. C.N
Okoli stated Agbo “presented with generalized body pain, headache,
earache, dizziness, and tinge of blood in the right eye”.

The Garki Police went to Abanah’s office that same day, but met his
absence. It however became clear he had gone into hiding after he failed
to turn up following several other visits to his office and calls
inviting him to the station. A warrant for his arrest was subsequently
obtained.

Two reasons are at the root of the assault, Agbo says. She had severally
asked Abanah to pay her salary and that of the magazine’s contributing
journalists being owed months in arrears. This displeased him
tremendously. Also, her refusal to concede to her employer’s sexual
advances irked him further, she said.

The NYSC at a zonal level launched an investigation. A source within the
NYSC who asked not to be named provided the internal report with the
findings from the investigation. Though Abanah had refused to see the
investigating officer, staff of Garki Gazette and Eddy-Vic Hotels
confided “he [Abanah] has been treating them the same that he pays them
salary whenever he feels like and they do not have the right to ask
him”.

“Based on the information about this man, shows that he is a very
irresponsible man,” The NYSC investigating officer reported. “I advise
that the corper should be withdrawn from serving in this establishment
and be reposted, and all possible measures should be taken to make him
for his reactions. He has no right to treat her this way.”

Abanah on his own then petitioned the NYSC State Coordinator on November
12 accusing Agbo in a four-page letter of “poor parental upbringing”
and being “desperate, devious, and dubious and a calculated and cold
liar that thinks everybody wants to flirt with her”. He added he has no
regards for the Garki Police station and was therefore taking his case
against Agbo to the Commissioner of Police of the Federal Capital
Territory.

“The publisher did not want a heehaw affair with a desperate woman whom
he has been feeding in a local police station,” Abanah said.
“Miss Agbo has been given a fair option of proceeding to a court of law
with her claims, but will not be granted the excessiveness of a shouting
match with her employer at a local police station.”

dis is barbaric

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by SamConquer(m): 10:45am On Dec 05, 2012
TORINO:LORD Jagara i cnt read all this long story LORD JAGARA:And what do u mean by dat TORINO:COS i feel it is less important and wont increase my salary in this palace.MY LORD LORD JAGARAsadLaughin in deep tone) Neither wil it reduce the numba of slap u wil receive for sayin that. TORINO.:Haba my lord am just joking o!!
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by vislabraye(m): 10:54am On Dec 05, 2012
I blame the man for a lot of things. Had it been he was nice to other employees of his, he wouldn't have been s.crewed up the way he was.
So whether the girl was rude or not doesn't come in in the first place.
Had it been he had paid his workers promptly, this wouldn't have happened.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by oweniwe(m): 11:02am On Dec 05, 2012
myike2: This story is not true. Just a jack-ass trying to make front page who succeeded. I said so for the following reasons:

1. "On August 1, 2012, Agbo began her NYSC primary duty with the Garki Gazette, an Abuja-based weekly lifestyle and events publication"

Starting from Batch A 2012 NYSC members, no corp member will be posted to any company or private sector. Posting of corp members shall be limited to four sectors: Agriculture, Education (teaching), Infrastructure, and *i'v 4gottn the last one*. And as we all know, 70% are sent to govt schls to teach, startin from batch A. So, who posted this so-called corper to a 'lifestyle and event' company?

2. "In the morning (of November 1) while attending her Community Development group meeting, she was advised to submit her PC thesame day as NYSC officials would be busy with the new batch of corp members resuming the following week"

Batch C corp members left camp on November 27th, and resumed on December 3rd. Meanwhile, the story says that NYSC officials would be busy with corp members resuming the following week (beginning on the 5th on November). I didn't have the time to go through the whole story, I would have brought out more points to show that this 1di0t just wants to make front page. Un4tunately, he/she succeeded!
1. You don't know anything about nysc. If you are posted somewhere and is rejected, you'll hav to find another place 2 serve and by then, most govt orgs are already full so you'll hav 2 look 4 a private employer to take u up.
2. I wonder if u've ever served before. After being accepted or rejected by PPA, u have to report back to the zonal or local govt office. Those rejected will hav to be reposted and will come back again 2 submit acceptance slip. newly posted corpers don't report to ppa until the next day 28th. Now add those relocating from other states to d bundle. Every corper simply cannot be finished wit acceptance btw Nov 27th - to d time of Agbo's clearance. Nysc offices are very busy place 2 be in 1st 3 wks after camp. I'm a serving B corper. Was rejected. It took nysc 2 weeks after camp to repost me.

All clearance hav 2 be submitted on d day indicated. Failure to do so will mean no allowee 4 dat month. Its not something dat can be postponed

2 Likes

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by kross01(m): 11:09am On Dec 05, 2012
myike2: This story is not true. Just a jack-ass trying to make front page who succeeded. I said so for the following reasons:

1. "On August 1, 2012, Agbo began her NYSC primary duty with the Garki Gazette, an Abuja-based weekly lifestyle and events publication"

Starting from Batch A 2012 NYSC members, no corp member will be posted to any company or private sector. Posting of corp members shall be limited to four sectors: Agriculture, Education (teaching), Infrastructure, and *i'v 4gottn the last one*. And as we all know, 70% are sent to govt schls to teach, startin from batch A. So, who posted this so-called corper to a 'lifestyle and event' company?

2. "In the morning (of November 1) while attending her Community Development group meeting, she was advised to submit her PC thesame day as NYSC officials would be busy with the new batch of corp members resuming the following week"

Batch C corp members left camp on November 27th, and resumed on December 3rd. Meanwhile, the story says that NYSC officials would be busy with corp members resuming the following week (beginning on the 5th on November). I didn't have the time to go through the whole story, I would have brought out more points to show that this 1di0t just wants to make front page. Un4tunately, he/she succeeded!

while not trying to refute your claims, i think you are approaching the issue at hand with a biased mind. According to ur write up, batch C corp members left camp on d 27th, back dating d usual 3wks they spend in camp will leave them probably arriving the camp on the 5th, & as she claimed her brush with her boss was on the 1st(being a thursday) & the next week 5th was a monday. These two days are usually d CDS & camp opening days respectively. Couldnt it be that what she said about the NYSC officials being busy with resuming corp members was in reference to their resumption in camp which we all know all NYSC officials are actively involved in?? Please kindly desist from name calling if you refuse to be thorough.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by maclatunji: 11:12am On Dec 05, 2012
But the Federal Government said National Youth Service (NYSC) Corp Members would not be posted to private establishments again.

March man:
We Won't Post Corps Members to Private Companies Again - Minister

Youth corps members will no longer be deployed to private establishments for the mandatory one year national service, Minister of Youth Development Bolaji Abdullahi has said.

The minister, who said this in Abuja Tuesday while speaking at a media briefing marking President Jonathan’s first 100 days in office, said government resources could not be used to sustain private organizations, noting that 90 percent of his ministry’s budget is spent on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) alone.

“Youth corps members will no longer be deployed to privately owned establishments for their one year mandatory service as this is tantamount to using government resources to sustain the private companies”, he said.

He, however, assured that government’s efforts towards creating jobs in all sectors of the economy would soon yield results

http://allafrica.com/stories/201109151443.html

https://www.nairaland.com/760685/nysc-stop-posting-youth-corpers.

The lady should sue the Federal Government for using our money to sustain the organisation of this "woman beater"- this is what I call "using government resources to sustain" assault and battery and then wasting government resources again to investigate it.

Another evidence of the ineffectual government that we have. tongue

Policy Statement: 99%

Policy Implementation: 10%

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by supercolez: 11:30am On Dec 05, 2012
SELFWORTH: Brilliant ! My kind of girl. This is a David Vs Goliath case. We know who won in the end because no one ever wins a battle against God. God will give her victory . Amen

Wetin concern God for this matter? Lmao grin
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by blackbeau1(f): 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2012

about your number 1 point,I'm lead to believe you are not in nigeria because if you are,you'll know that nothing ever happens according to the books.I'm a batch C corp member and I was posted to abuja.I can confidently tell you that most of my friends were posted to private instituitions. And yes,the NYSC officials were busy because most of them were in camp with us.so,pls next time if you do not know much about a topic,don't hasten to call the op,an attention seeker.

1 Like

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Solozzo(m): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2012
topsyking:
Guy do u wanna start a war here..am just saying d obvious here..na wen woman show u,u go know say white no be black
Na ur faather be animal..foooool

Shame on you for supporting violence and unethical behaviour in the workplace!! Na which bush school you go, Mugu?

1 Like

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Solozzo(m): 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
jahwin: although dm get bad mouth sha.

The way I see Agbo's mouth, am beginning to suspect her. Some ladies are actually sarcastic.

Inferiority complex!! shame!!

1 Like

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by nous(f): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
kross_01:

while not trying to refute your claims, i think you are approaching the issue at hand with a biased mind. According to ur write up, batch C corp members left camp on d 27th, back dating d usual 3wks they spend in camp will leave them probably arriving the camp on the 5th, & as she claimed her brush with her boss was on the 1st(being a thursday) & the next week 5th was a monday. These two days are usually d CDS & camp opening days respectively. Couldnt it be that what she said about the NYSC officials being busy with resuming corp members was in reference to their resumption in camp which we all know all NYSC officials are actively involved in?? Please kindly desist from name calling if you refuse to be thorough.

Thank you for explaining to the ...... He obviously supports battery that is why he could not but display his ignorance.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by nayra(f): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ova n out
wetin u dey yarn?
Even him staff testify against am.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by anitank(f): 2:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
I refuse to believe any of this!
No Batch B corper was posted to a private firm so NYSC is definitely not going to fight for her.

The boss then again won't just start slapping and beating her if she her attitude isn't bad. Some girls get bad mouth ehh... Maybe she even slept with the man to get that job, who knows?
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Nosyke(m): 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2012
“He slapped me and pushed me, I hit my ear hard on an iron fence by his garden. He started dragging my top (white NYSC vest) and my bosom came out,” Agbo told the Police. “He brought out his hand again and slapped me. He called his manager and assistant to send me out of the premises which they did”.

Story too long jor. I thought the new name of the bolded was 'unmentionables'? How come it is now being 'mentioned' grin grin
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2012
First of all, there isn't any sane reason why the man should raise his hands on the corper girl, however for him to be able to do so, it means there must be something we have not heard cos I don't believe that if they maintained an employer/employee relationship he would have the guts to hit her.

1 Like

Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by blender1: 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2012
Her own case dey learn for were my guys own dey for here. Wetin we never see for propertors hand? Abi na so called employers? All i know be say God pass dem.
Re: A Female NYSC Member Fights Back After Being Assaulted By Her Employer by An0nimus: 4:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
Abyjah: People with low self-worth, oftentimes, try to drag others down to their pathetic levels using various vices.

Anyways, let's talk about Jesus.

He advices us to do unto others what we want done to us (either directly or indirectly to our children).
I like this 'lets talk about Jesus' thing lol
@0P Dint read all that:|

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Major Ways To Apply For NYSC Relocation & Redeployment / NYSC Requirements: WAEC/GCE? / Rabiu Ahmad: Corper Who Sold Oranges To Educate Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.