Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,577 members, 7,917,842 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report (8321 Views)

Emefiele Should Resign - Save Nigeria Anti-Corruption Initiative / 2016 Corruption Index: Nigeria Ranked 136 Out Of 168 / Politicisation Of Boko Haram Insurgency, Bane Of Nigeria’s Anti-terror Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by ikdpal(m): 3:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
its my şincer praya that our prsdo nna joe succeeds in d fight cos curuption is as old as ths contry nd nobody dared it so may him even kill boko 4reva.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by kulutempa: 3:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
gregg2:

You are wrong. We have rather improved alot.
Check TI's website yourself on http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/results

I have looked at the link but there is nothing about any improvement there compared to 2011. Maybe you can set it out clearly for everybody here.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 3:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
gregg2:

gregg2:

just ignore the loser by 2015 u won't see them on nairaland. U recommened a link for him trust me he won't read it cos its a big pill for him to swallow
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2012
Its sad to see how ppl love bad news....anyway kudos to d present government for exposing some avenues which some ppl are using to milk this country, sadly enough we want to see this ppl prosecuted...
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by kulutempa: 3:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
Since you have refused to do it, here is a screenshot of the link. Now tell me where I am wrong about the improvement over 2011.

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by sheyma: 4:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
Being critical is different from telling lies and deliberate mischief, which is what we see with the Nigerian opposition

Can u please gv examples of d coruption govt had fought and brought to justice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by philips70(m): 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
My friend, read the previous comments before yours and make more SENSIBLE contribution. Do you expect Premium Times, the media arm of El Rufai, to come all out and commend the govt?

And you tell me what is there to commend when in the same year we have several cases of unresolved massive corruption like FAROUK, MANITOBA, ADOKE, etc all in the midst of a toothless anti-corruption agency who continue to advertize their inability to prosecute high level financial crimes for some very known reasons. Brother, tell yourself and your future generation the truth-No progress has been made so far and none in sight with the current lukewarm pattern of our current president who himself have been named in several of these cases.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by sajawagu: 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
This is a welcome development,GEJ keep on kicking we will soon get to the top
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by deletrue: 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
karl max: I expected to see those clowns that called this government all sorts of name. When. The result of 2011 was posted on this forum by some disgruntled retards who call themselves critic.go and tell ur paymasters that come 2015 their lies and deceits would be exposed for all to see. nigerians are gettin wiser now you can say what u want about this government they still remain the best so far.just travelled to east with my car and the ore-benin express road is wearing a better look compared to the 8years a certain OBJ spent in office and work is still on going this decemeber a lot of people travelling to the east would travel and praise this administration and the press is not reporting about the massive work going on there all they write about is propoganda payed for by the opposition.
My dear, it is a pity some of us came together with these human like nigerians who are actually just empty beings in human appearance. Don't worry, no matter the animal form majority of nigerians are, they will agree some days that this government will be the best since indepedance. Punch has refused me entry for sometime now because of my defence of this government. It is difficult to hide the truth. if these haters like they should fence the truth with the blocks or concrete used in Berlin walls, germany, truth will break open that fence and expose itself. Thank you bros.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by omenka(m): 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2012
peaceland: hello all,
I rarely get drawn to issues like this.
initially I've been enjoying the comments made by people but its no longer funny
are we blind or are we so callous that we cannot tell ourselves the truth even if the western world missed it?
whats wrong with we the so called youths that we are no longer mindful of the future?
what achievement have we made in tackling corruption?. forget the stupid statistics of 2.4 and 2.7;
who honestly on ground can point to 1 thing being done to reduce/fight corruption
we claim the fan is working by calculating rpm; i see the air is still still; which is being more realistic?
even if we are being paid to call blue red; are we that conscience scarred that we are celebrating inanity?
i look forward to that day when the real identities of people behind some user names here would be revealed
we are so callous that we can now look corruption in the face and smile; thousands are without job; a lot lost their job in recent times - all due to corruption, most hospitals (including the national hospital) are dead; we have probably the largest government fleet; daily we hear clearly ridiculous news - latest is banquet hall; once in awhile small corrupt - fries get stove warmed and that's all.....
honestly; anyone who says corruption has reduced or the fight against corruption has improved should please in clear terms give good reasons.
most of the countries we "bested" are war ravaged or just recovering from war/unrest and we are celebrating!??.
thank you all

Thanx for this comment. That's exactly my sentiment too. So much complacency and mediocrity.
And as for the banquet hall issue, its the biggest slap in the face we've received in recent time. You can immagin the fct minister justifyin it by sayin that which exists is 2km from the official residence of the president, so a new one has to be built closer to the residence!!!!!!
Sometyms when i think about this country I come close to tears...
We shall overcome someday.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by PointB: 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
omenka:

The western societies find themselves in the enviable positions they occupy in the commity of nations not because their citizens sing praises of their governments for doing what is required of them to do by law. They are where they are because they constantly criticize, albiet constructively, the deeds and misdeeds of their governments. Their insatiable craving and relentless demend for pace settin performance from their leaders kept their leaders on the grindstone 247 producing unbelievably remarkable results.
It is quite disheartenin to hear jingles of praises for our government when they manage to build some housing estate, or construct some road.. It is such crass bootlickin and mediocrity that has brought this country to her knees cos once the leaders are comended, especially openly, all they assume is that they've finished the job and its now time to rest and enjoy!
Im not one of such who go dancing on their tail like circus chimps just cos the government has done what WE empowered them to do.
I see no good in them 'exposing' the thieves if they can't go the full hog of prosecutin and incarcerating them...
I'd always be critical until we get to that spot when we can take some deep breath of fresh air and exclaim 'Alas, We Have Arrived!'

Yet we must call a spade a spade. The country amass 27% as against 24% it achieved last time around. Slice or dice it anyhow you like, it is an improvement. Lest we forget, it was the same TI that once rated Nigeria the worst performer in the time past. Do we accept their rating when it suits our agenda of destruction criticism, and refuse it when it confutes it. With such duality, are we then better than the one we seek to 'correct' (that's if the intention is not sinister)

No one said the government has done enough stamp out corruption. But the argument raised by most objective poster is that 'there is an improvement' at least in the level of transparency. Is it enough, certainly not as more can and should be done. But painting doom and gloom and claiming things are worse to the extent of bandying mischievous figures as total money stolen by the current government as done by the Punch Newspaper is as callous as it is fallacious. In the end those who bandied such fallacy in the name of criticizing the government create more problem than they intend to solve.

Today, adept Nigerians recognise Sahara Reporters as purveyor of lies and propaganda. Won't it be sad if Punch and other normally reliable news media join in this ignoble practice.

Again, criticism should be balance, and objectivity should prevail. And it is in that respect that we must first recognize 27 as an improvement over 24 in the TI ranking and give credit to whom it due rather than peddling entrenched prejudice.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by occam(m): 6:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
PointB:

Yet we must call a spade a spade. The country amass 27% as against 24% it achieved last time around. Slice or dice it anyhow you like, it is an improvement. Lest we forget, it was the same TI that once rated Nigeria the worst performer in the time past. Do we accept their rating when it suits our agenda of destruction criticism, and refuse it when it confutes it. With such duality, are we then better than the one we seek to 'correct' (that's if the intention is not sinister)

No one said the government has done enough stamp out corruption. But the argument raised by most objective poster is that 'there is an improvement' at least in the level of transparency. Is it enough, certainly not as more can and should be done. But painting doom and gloom and claiming things are worse to the extent of bandying mischievous figures as total money stolen by the current government as done by the Punch Newspaper is as callous as it is fallacious. In the end those who bandied such fallacy in the name of criticizing the government create more problem than the intend to solve.

Today, adept Nigerians recognise Sahara Reporters as purveyor of lies and propaganda. Won't it be sad if Punch and other normally reliable news media join in this ignoble practice.

Again, criticism should be balance, and objective should prevail. And it is in that respect that we must first recognize 27 as an improvement over 24 in the TI ranking and give credit to whom it due rather than peddling entrenched prejudice.

Holding bragging rights over countries like Eritrea, Somalia or Tajikistan is improvement? We're still neck and neck with Pakistan, a perennial offender and true symbol of corruption.

Ask Nigerians on the street if they believe the level of corruption has reduced compared to say 15 yrs ago. They'll tell you Same or getting worse. People only believe what they see. Everyday na the same thing: Corrupt politicians looting the treasury (on the rise); Custom officers exhorting money (still rising); Govt officials demanding bribes to provide service (still a way of life).

This improved ranking means nothing. Election is in 2 yrs time, so expect our ranking to fall in 2014/2015. And I'm sure you know why.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 6:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
occam:

Holding bragging rights over countries like Eritrea, Somalia or Tajikistan is improvement? We're still neck and neck with Pakistan, a perennial offender and true symbol of corruption.

Ask Nigerians on the street if they believe the level of corruption has reduced compared to say 15 yrs ago. They'll tell you Same or getting worse. People only believe what they see. Everyday na the same thing: Corrupt politicians looting the treasury (on the rise); Custom officers exhorting money (still rising); Govt officials demanding bribes to provide service (still a way of life).

This improved ranking means nothing. Election is in 2 yrs time, so expect our ranking to fall in 2014/2015. And I'm sure you know why.

Increased ranking means nothing . . .But decreased rating is good enough to mastvbate recklessly init . . . The kind of steez we entertain all in the name of being called a critic

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
peaceland: hello all,
I rarely get drawn to issues like this.
initially I've been enjoying the comments made by people but its no longer funny
are we blind or are we so callous that we cannot tell ourselves the truth even if the western world missed it?
whats wrong with we the so called youths that we are no longer mindful of the future?
what achievement have we made in tackling corruption?. forget the stupid statistics of 2.4 and 2.7;
who honestly on ground can point to 1 thing being done to reduce/fight corruption
we claim the fan is working by calculating rpm; i see the air is still still; which is being more realistic?
even if we are being paid to call blue red; are we that conscience scarred that we are celebrating inanity?
i look forward to that day when the real identities of people behind some user names here would be revealed
we are so callous that we can now look corruption in the face and smile; thousands are without job; a lot lost their job in recent times - all due to corruption, most hospitals (including the national hospital) are dead; we have probably the largest government fleet; daily we hear clearly ridiculous news - latest is banquet hall; once in awhile small corrupt - fries get stove warmed and that's all.....
honestly; anyone who says corruption has reduced or the fight against corruption has improved should please in clear terms give good reasons.
most of the countries we "bested" are war ravaged or just recovering from war/unrest and we are celebrating!??.
thank you all

SHUT ya mouth there my frnd, and go look for a soft pillow and sleep; u need sleep. On what basics were u guys mastur.bating every where and shouting at d top of yr voices that dis admin is d most corrupt in d history of nigeria? Silly claims by elRufai, ACN, eediots here on NL, SR or what? Or is it dat concortd '#5trn' figure from a bought Punch (do you know how they 'generatd' that figure)?... And who is jubilating ova dis? We are not; at 2.7 much more still need doing . We are only pissing on u guys as shameless LIARS who took advantage of a govt that wantd to be more transparent and expose its own books and practices to the open for the 1st time, to concort stu.pid stories about hw d same govt is the most corrupt govt in d history of d nation- that was the claim u guys hv bn making basd on hearsays, half-truths and outright lies. Today, we hv a score from T.I in d midst of most deadly propaganda war in d country indicating not only that we are improving, albeit slightly, but at 2.7, arguably one of d nation's highest score since T.I startd scoring us ( certainly higher than when GEJ took ova).... We are not rejoicing; we are only noting d slight improvement and of course pissing on u guys. Ya get? Now go to sleep

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by kulutempa: 6:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
occam:

Point of correction sir.

2011: 143rd out of 182 countries 182 - 143 = 39th most corrupt country (39 places from Somalia the most corrupt)

2012: 139th out of 176 countries 176- 139 = 37th most corrupt country (37 places from Somalia the most corrupt)

39 from the bottom to 37 from the bottom means you are going down the rankings not improving. In relative terms and compared to other basket cases, we have actually done worse undecided
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by PointB: 6:47pm On Dec 05, 2012
jmaine:

Increased ranking means nothing . . .But decreased rating is good enough to mastvbate recklessly init . . . The kind of steez we entertain all in the name of being called a critic

Na so we see am.
It is the sort of argument we get from professional critics. Isn't it depressing?
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by occam(m): 6:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
jmaine:

On corruption, most Nigerians are realist but a few are delusional. Let the govt celebrate this result all night long; We all know matter for ground.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2012
omenka:

The western societies find themselves in the enviable positions they occupy in the commity of nations not because their citizens sing praises of their governments for doing what is required of them to do by law. They are where they are because they constantly criticize, albiet constructively, the deeds and misdeeds of their governments. Their insatiable craving and relentless demend for pace settin performance from their leaders kept their leaders on the grindstone 247 producing unbelievably remarkable results.
It is quite disheartenin to hear jingles of praises for our government when they manage to build some housing estate, or construct some road.. It is such crass bootlickin and mediocrity that has brought this country to her knees cos once the leaders are comended, especially openly, all they assume is that they've finished the job and its now time to rest and enjoy!
Im not one of such who go dancing on their tail like circus chimps just cos the government has done what WE empowered them to do.
I see no good in them 'exposing' the thieves if they can't go the full hog of prosecutin and incarcerating them...
I'd always be critical until we get to that spot when we can take some deep breath of fresh air and exclaim 'Alas, We Have Arrived!'
Great comment; one of d best so far. Thank you. I share most of yr thoughts esp dis: '..becos they constantly criticize, ALBEIT CONSTRUCTIVELY..'.... I wish dat is what we are dealing with here
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by jmaine: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
PointB:

Na so we see am.
It is the sort of argument we get from professional critics. Isn't it depressing?

You dey mind them . .blatantly displaying unnecessary bias
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by PointB: 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
occam:

Isn't it better that we hold bragging right over them, than for them to hold it over us? Or are you just criticizing for the sake of it? To the extent that marginal improvement count for noting in your book, but a drop will suit you better?

Guy, if the guy on the street measure stuff by their belly, must you join them? Isn't it your duty to objectively analyze issue, in such a manner that differentiate you from the guy on the street? Corruption and looting is not on the rise, unless you believe in the propaganda sold to the guy on the street. On the contrary, corruption and looting are been exposed rather than the grand cover up we were used to in the past.

Thanks to transparency in the current regime, we now have an idea how much is spent annually at Aso Rock for feeding and entertainment of staff and guests. Do you know how was spent during Obj and Yar Adua era for same purpose? I guess not!

But objective people hear the figures, and scream "looting", folks like us see the same and start with "transparency" before further analysis. I guess, that's where the difference lies between propaganda and objective criticism. Nuff said!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 6:59pm On Dec 05, 2012
jmaine:

You dey mind them . .blatantly displaying unnecessary bias
don't worry their deceits and ranting would soon die with them.bunch of hypocrites!
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 7:00pm On Dec 05, 2012
philips70:

And you tell me what is there to commend when in the same year we have several cases of unresolved massive corruption like FAROUK, MANITOBA, ADOKE, etc all in the midst of a toothless anti-corruption agency who continue to advertize their inability to prosecute high level financial crimes for some very known reasons. Brother, tell yourself and your future generation the truth-No progress has been made so far and none in sight with the current lukewarm pattern of our current president who himself have been named in several of these cases.
See what we are just talking about? Peeps churning out stuffs from their ANUS and passing it off as 'gospel'. Plz Bros tell us about MANITOBA and ADOKE. What do they mean? Abeg be fast...
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by PointB: 7:00pm On Dec 05, 2012
kulutempa:

Point of correction sir.

2011: 143rd out of 182 countries 182 - 143 = 39th most corrupt country (39 places from Somalia the most corrupt)

2012: 139th out of 176 countries 176- 139 = 37th most corrupt country (37 places from Somalia the most corrupt)

39 from the bottom to 37 from the bottom means you are going down the rankings not improving. In relative terms and compared to other basket cases, we have actually done worse undecided

That's a very skewed way of putting it.

The score was 27% whereas the previous one was 24%. The percentage is regardless of number of countries involved. It is an absolute value!
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by occam(m): 7:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
kulutempa:

Point of correction sir.

I'm talking level of transparency; you mean the opposite (corruption). The more transparent a country is perceived to be, the higher it scores and ranks. So Denmark is the cleanest and scores 90 while Nigerian is one of the most corrupt and scores 27

You're looking at the table from below. No sweat. Message is the same: corruption level is very high in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by GARRIx7(m): 7:05pm On Dec 05, 2012
From 2.4 to 2.7 shows IMPROVEMENT. Arguing against data released by TI is hypocritical, it might also ßξ an indicator that some folks criticise not because they want the country to ßξ better, but because they are just being Partisan and tribalistic....

That said, I think there is still enormous work to ßξ done in tackling corruption in Nigeria. Corrupt elements must ßξ prosecuted and jailed. That will no doubt convince most pple that the govt is genuine in its Anti-Corruption fight...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by karlmax2: 7:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
PointB:

The score was 27% whereas the previous one was 24%. The percentage is regardless of number of countries involved. It is an absolute value!
those are the type of retards that call GEJ all sorts of name people that are as dull and gullible as a simpleton! They only read and understand wiff there anus!.I don't pay attention to such dullards and his fellow opposition critics.
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 7:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
occam:

This is d most FOOOLISH comment here; well done. 'if you ask Nigerians they will tell u that corruptn is same or even worse dan 15yrs ago', *smh*. Who told does gullible Nigerians to think so (assuming it is even true) if not for the LIES and HALF-TRUTHS that goons like u churn out? Who shld we bliv: data from TI or data from desperate power mongers and dier agents? You, my frnd, mk Mr. Stu.pid look wise
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by kulutempa: 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
PointB:

If it's absolute why do they have rankings like FIFA? tongue
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by takedat(m): 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
kulutempa:

If it's absolute why do they have rankings like FIFA? tongue
Who is this one again?
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by occam(m): 7:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
PointB:

Isn't it better that we hold bragging right over them, than for them to hold it over us? Or are you just criticizing for the sake of it? To the extent that marginal improvement count for noting in your book, but a drop will suit you better?

Guy, if the guy on the street measure stuff by their belly, must you join them? Isn't it your duty to objectively analyze issue, in such a manner that differentiate you from the guy on the street? Corruption and looting is not on the rise, unless you believe in the propaganda sold to the guy on the street. On the contrary, corruption and looting are been exposed rather than the grand cover up we were used to in the past.

Thanks to transparency in the current regime, we now have an idea how much is spent annually at Aso Rock for feeding and entertainment of staff and guests. Do you know how was spent during Obj and Yar Adua era for same purpose? I guess not!

But objective people hear the figures, and scream "looting", folks like us see the same and start with "transparency" before further analysis. I guess, that's where the difference lies between propaganda and objective criticism. Nuff said!

Comparing 2 data points (last yr vs. this year) is not a trend. Let's see the next 4 - 5 yrs if our score continues to improve. That's how you judge improvement in transparency level. You want to celebrate the 27 score? go ahead, that's ok

The bolded: Now we know Nigeria is spending an obscene amount for feeding a corrupt govt machine. And even with the knowledge and acceptance that N 1 billion is too high, did Jonathan slash the feeding and other wasteful spending? And yet you accept corruption level is improving. Gee! The kool aid served by this govt is made of potent stuff
Re: Nigeria Anti-corruption Index Improves - TI 2012 Report by taharqa: 7:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
GARRI (x7):
From 2.4 to 2.7 shows IMPROVEMENT. Arguing against data released by TI is hypocritical, it might also ßξ an indicator that some folks criticise not because they want the country to ßξ better, but because they are just being Partisan and tribalistic....

That said, I think there is still enormous work to ßξ done in tackling corruption in Nigeria. Corrupt elements must ßξ prosecuted and jailed. That will no doubt convince most pple that the govt is genuine in its Anti-Corruption fight...
Agree with every thing you said here...no doubt more needs doing; no doubts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Illegal Immigrants Take Over Nigeria / FRSC Launches Signage Plant In Abuja / Map Of The Mission Objective Of Eastern Security Network (ESN)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.