Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,632 members, 7,944,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 08:17 AM

Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses (1415 Views)

Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Armed Soldiers Beating Innocent Citizens Now At Sun Tan Beach Badagry / Oshiomole Stopped All State Own Transport Service To Disfranchise Edo Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by massivetech: 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2012
The Edo state legislators have passed a very controvestial bill into law that mandates every house owner to pay a kind of tax for his property. the bill was passed yesterday with Gov. Oshiomole in support as against a mass public outcry.
Source:BROADCASTED in ITV benin NEWS YESTERDAY
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by massivetech: 2:42pm On Dec 08, 2012
Oshiomole proves day after day that he's not for the masses
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by kunlekunle: 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
so you people dont pay tenement rate?
he should back date it to 5yrs
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by MajeOfficial: 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2012
it makes no sense to be against paying taxes if you want the government to work. Or do you expect someone in office do by sponsoring your life and building you things for free?
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by Onlytruth(m): 9:58pm On Dec 08, 2012
One of the reasons why Nigeria should be at least restructured or even divided is that we have not national "sameness".
I am particularly outraged that a Nigerian state . . . any Nigerian state, would copy this culture from overseas. In a country with mad herd mentality, I bet you that other states may copy this.
This must be rejected by any sane Nigerian. You pay income and corporate tax, and other taxes related to your expenditures; why on earth would anyone want you to pay tax on your house?

The sooner this country is divided, the better for everyone.
Nonsense. angry

3 Likes

Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by MajeOfficial: 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
Because that same person will complain that he doesn't have a road to drive on.
Priorities people. There's no government without taxation. This whole time has been a free ride and it failed, but you still took it for granted, now you have to join the rest of the human race and pay taxes. Up Oshiomole for trying to combat federal dependency
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by Onlytruth(m): 10:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
:
Because that same person will complain that he doesn't have a road to drive on.
Priorities people. There's no government without taxation. This whole time has been a free ride and it failed, but you still took it for granted, now you have to join the rest of the human race and pay taxes. Up Oshiomole for trying to combat federal dependency

My brother, with all due respect and all double emphasis, you are wrong on this issue.
You are mixing apples and oranges here. No sane 21st century human should be against ALL taxations. The topic is about taxation on HOUSES.
We pay all types of taxes in Nigeria, I can't even list all of them, but they include income tax and VAT. If you add corporate taxes to all other taxes already existing, Nigeria has no business taxing HOMES -the only safe abode of wealth, which makes it possible to grow and sustain wealth, a secure retirement environment, and an asset you can pass on to your children.

My main concern is that Nigeria is a copycat country with very little thinking going into public policy. Country A is doing, therefore it must be good for Nigeria!
We do this in many critical national items, and wonder why our country is perhaps the most chaotic country in Africa, and a midget with perpetual "potential" for gigantism.

If there are sane moderators in this forum, this topic should hit front page.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by Onlytruth(m): 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2012
One more point.

Any state that cannot develop based on already existing stream of income from the federation account, and already existing income and corportate taxes, should be forced to merge with the next viable state, or be scrapped altogether. This is part of why I am against state creation in Nigeria.
We create too many unviable states, and some of these so called states start to experiment with some of the most dangerous policies known to man.
Soon they will start experimenting with exporting of humans as a business to generate tax revenue.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by MajeOfficial: 11:29pm On Dec 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brother, with all due respect and all double emphasis, you are wrong on this issue.
You are mixing apples and oranges here. No sane 21st century human should be against ALL taxations. The topic is about taxation on HOUSES.
We pay all types of taxes in Nigeria, I can't even list all of them, but they include income tax and VAT. If you add corporate taxes to all other taxes already existing, Nigeria has no business taxing HOMES -the only safe abode of wealth, which makes it possible to grow and sustain wealth, a secure retirement environment, and an asset you can pass on to your children.

My main concern is that Nigeria is a copycat country with very little thinking going into public policy. Country A is doing, therefore it must be good for Nigeria!
We do this in many critical national items, and wonder why our country is perhaps the most chaotic country in Africa, and a midget with perpetual "potential" for gigantism.

are you not in nigeria? have you not seen how things operate
The only thing that can be ensured day and night is that a house will be where it's at. If he taxes commodities people will lie on their paper work, if he taxes income people will stop registering their labor, if he taxes heads people will hide. There's nothing permanent in nigeria that a person can't lie with outside of whether or not they own property, so it's that simple.

Oshiomole is right no this one. Look at the result of people not being taxed on building houses. People start a house anytime they get 5000 naira and leave thousands of abandoned structures all over the country for kidnappers and rapist to use, and soon terrorist if we're not mindful, as hide outs and head quarters.

Nigerians want a better country but they want to make sure they don't have to life a finger to make it happen. EVERY single improvement made to this country is opposed by Nigerians.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by Onlytruth(m): 11:43pm On Dec 08, 2012
:

are you not in nigeria? have you not seen how things operate
The only thing that can be ensured day and night is that a house will be where it's at. If he taxes commodities people will lie on their paper work, if he taxes income people will stop registering their labor, if he taxes heads people will hide. There's nothing permanent in nigeria that a person can't lie with outside of whether or not they own property, so it's that simple.

Oshiomole is right no this one. Look at the result of people not being taxed on building houses. People start a house anytime they get 5000 naira and leave thousands of abandoned structures all over the country for kidnappers and rapist to use, and soon terrorist if we're not mindful, as hide outs and head quarters.

Nigerians want a better country but they want to make sure they don't have to life a finger to make it happen. EVERY single improvement made to this country is opposed by Nigerians.

I am not in Nigeria, thank God! That is why I have a better view on this issue.
I bet you that even you have not REALLY sat down to think about this issue. If you have, you will RUN AWAY from the idea of taxing homes. The thing about public policy is that once introduced, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to reverse it. Be careful of what you wish for.

Taxing homes is the most dangerous public policy that I can think of. It has a ripple effect that its victims struggle to even understand, talk less of addressing.
It creates a HUGE problem for any nation.

Things I consider sacrosanct as far as taxation is concerned are: HOMES and HEALTHCARE.

Maybe one day you will understand.

If any public official even mutes this idea in the East, we Umuigbo will stone the person to death! cool
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by kunlekunle: 3:38am On Dec 09, 2012
Onlytruth: One of the reasons why Nigeria should be at least restructured or even divided is that we have not national "sameness".
I am particularly outraged that a Nigerian state . . . any Nigerian state, would copy this culture from overseas. In a country with mad herd mentality, I bet you that other states may copy this.
This must be rejected by any sane Nigerian. You pay income and corporate tax, and other taxes related to your expenditures; why on earth would anyone want you to pay tax on your house?

The sooner this country is divided, the better for everyone.
Nonsense. angry

tenement rate had been a national law from time immemorial.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by BlackBaron: 4:13am On Dec 09, 2012
Sounds good.

Nigerians are usually averse to any form of taxes, moaning and grovelling till kingdom come. Yet they crave infrastructures.

Saying that, I would like to think they should be set on a sort of band tax system with the most valuable properties paying the highest...of course taking income into consideration too as some may be renting.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by NegroNtns(m): 6:23am On Dec 09, 2012
What is wrong with this governor for Gods sake? Which kind yeye law be dis wey edo citizens dey pay tax? Edo state no get ibo landlords......

see me see wahala o, leave ibo pocket come begin dip hand for edo pocket to develop town.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by GAR3TH(m): 7:35am On Dec 09, 2012
BlackBaron: Sounds good.

Nigerians are usually averse to any form of taxes, moaning and grovelling till kingdom come. Yet they crave infrastructures.

Saying that, I would like to think they should be set on a sort of band tax system with the most valuable properties paying the highest...of course taking income into consideration too as some may be renting.

+1

I never understood why Nigerians always moan and complain about paying taxes, its there civil duty to make the country better. Just look at Morocco or South Africa who have a proper tax code and look where they have gone. Even Algeria who is the second largest producer of oil in Africa has a proper tax code because they know oil money cannot buy you development, And look at were all does countries are today, the are close to becoming fully developed.

Having a tax code is not "copying" the culture of the west, like someone said. Taxes is not even a culture nor was it created by the west, taxes is a mean of collecting revenue for a state so it can thrive, which every major empire has done since the beginning of time.

1 Like

Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by omicron(m): 7:35am On Dec 09, 2012
Onlytruth:

What a way to tender a request!

@topic, I think Oshiomole is going too far and too hard with the Edo state indigenes. Granted, tenement tax is a valid taxation but one must consider the peculiarities of a people. The fact that it is done elsewhere does not entirely justify doing it in any particular state as well.

Moreover, the public was not carried along at all in such a matter that most directly affects them. The bill itself was against the popular opinion - for a governor that prides himself as the governor of the masses, making such a controversial law, in such a rushed and rather insensitive manner, goes against many things he had uttered in the past.

Come to think of it, which houses will be taxed? Is it the millionaires' mansions in Benin City or the granpas' huts in Iguelahor? Is it going to target only people in the Cities or is it a state wide Law?

Oshiomole is a vibrant leader, no doubt, and the people of Edo state love him. Yet, of late he has begun to put on some form of ruthlessness in his policies that his reputation as the People's man is now in jeopardy. Even if such qualities may be needed at critical times like this or another by any visionary leader, Oshiomole should still tread with simple caution and carry, at least, majority of the Edo state masses along, IMO.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 09, 2012
Electing govt officials in this part of the world for 2nd term seems to have disadvantages.A siting govnor begs the electorate for a second term,once he gets it,he turns ruthless on the people who elected him with harsh policies.The judiciary is compromised,houses of asemblies are rubber stamp;there are no checks and balances to keep elected public officials on their toes and protect the masses.This democracy has a long way to go.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by OmoTier1(m): 6:40pm On Dec 09, 2012
omicron: What a way to tender a request!

@topic, I think Oshiomole is going too far and too hard with the Edo state indigenes. Granted, tenement tax is a valid taxation but one must consider the peculiarities of a people. The fact that it is done elsewhere does not entirely justify doing it in any particular state as well.

Moreover, the public was not carried along at all in such a matter that most directly affects them. The bill itself was against the popular opinion - for a governor that prides himself as the governor of the masses, making such a controversial law, in such a rushed and rather insensitive manner, goes against many things he had uttered in the past.

Come to think of it, which houses will be taxed? Is it the millionaires' mansions in Benin City or the granpas' huts in Iguelahor? Is it going to target only people in the Cities or is it a state wide Law?

Oshiomole is a vibrant leader, no doubt, and the people of Edo state love him. Yet, of late he has begun to put on some form of ruthlessness in his policies that his reputation as the People's man is now in jeopardy. Even if such qualities may be needed at critical times like this or another by any visionary leader, Oshiomole should still tread with simple caution and carry, at least, majority of the Edo state masses along, IMO.
For those of you in Europe, the USA or Asia, you do not blink when they ask you to pay all forms of taxes, so why are you having issues with what Oshiomhole is doing? His government is doing the much she can to create the enabling environment for the people of the state to grow their business and wealth by providing infrastructures. His government has shown some level of accountability to the people and they have seen what their taxes are doing in the state.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by OmoTier1(m): 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2012
chima12: Electing govt officials in this part of the world for 2nd term seems to have disadvantages.A siting govnor begs the electorate for a second term,once he gets it,he turns ruthless on the people who elected him with harsh policies.The judiciary is compromised,houses of asemblies are rubber stamp;there are no checks and balances to keep elected public officials on their toes and protect the masses.This democracy has a long way to go.
What is wrong in paying taxes? Don't we all do it in Europe? Do we complain that democracy in Europe is a joke? There is a price our generation must pay to give the ones coming after us the quality of life they truly deserve.

Oshiomhole's government have shown that when He collects taxes, they do count for the betterment of the people and I am sure most Edo citizens are happy with the way He has utilized their taxes so far in the state. If this taxation was being implemented by the current Abia government, then I would say you have a point!

1 Like

Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by vanbonattel: 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2012
Tenants, this will hit us straight between the eyes, expect all manner of rent increase/adjustment/upgrade and tricky manipulation by landlords who will never lose from this policy, ask Fashola what became of his attempt to restrics 2 years advance rents in lagos.
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by massivetech: 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2012
For those supporting oshiomole my guess is that you dont reside in benin. This man is carrying out some serious taxing systems and revenue systems:
Now let me state some bare facts;
1, he attacked many companies owing million in tax when he just started
2,he increased mimum wage of teachers to 20grand and increased their tax to 15%(very cunny)
3,he increased tution fees of AAU the stated owned university by about 50% of the former
4,he recently closed down ITV benin for 12million worth of tax.
Not to mention other agressive tax schemes. Then why turn to taxing houses that most average citizens suffered to build for years?
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by massivetech: 11:00pm On Dec 09, 2012
massive tech: For those supporting oshiomole my guess is that you dont reside in benin. This man is carrying out some serious taxing systems and revenue systems:
Now let me state some bare facts;
1, he attacked many companies owing million in tax when he just started
2,he increased mimum wage of teachers to 20grand and increased their tax to 15%(very cunny)
3,he increased tution fees of AAU the stated owned university by about 50% of the former
4,he recently closed down ITV benin for 12million worth of tax.
Not to mention other agressive tax schemes. Then why turn to taxing houses that most average citizens suffered to build for years?
front page pls
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by ShedrackOnos(m): 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2012
massive tech:
front page pls

The truth must be said.It cant hide forever.You are mouthed my broda.Ride on
Re: Edo Citizens now to pay TAX on their houses by ShedrackOnos(m): 11:07pm On Dec 09, 2012
Taxes taxes taxes..Is that a way of being a man of the people..Gov Oshiomolhe i dey laff oo

(1) (Reply)

Dele Momodu's Plagiarism On Victor Moses Biography / Why / Militants In Kalabari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.