Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,488 members, 7,944,419 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:01 PM

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? (12416 Views)

Nature Of Funerals In Igboland. / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by 2nychymes: 2:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
redsun, the annoying thing is that most people didn't even spend half of what they spent in the burial for their parents in their lifetime
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by redsun(m): 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
[quote author=2nychymes]redsun, the annoying thing is that most people didn't even spend half of what they spent in the burial for their parents in their lifetime[/quote

That is repulsive and for sure they will reap what they sow.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Souljaboi1: 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2012
cola: Islam gives some guidance concerning this:

1. the friends and neighbours of the bereaved should give food to the bereaved for three days.

2. there should be no other gathering whatsoever (talkless partying) after the deceased is interred. (and the deceased is to be interred as soon as a few hours after being certified dead)

3. the children / relatives of the deceased are encouraged to spend whatever they can afford to donate to a community project (a borehole, library stocking, scholarship, even tree planting, etc) in his/her name. For as long as living people benefit from this project, more peace is added to the soul of the deceased.

This is the recommendation of Islam.

It is however common to see many misguided and ignorant muslims also part-take in this despicable, shameful and wasteful so-called cultural practice.

Sodaqta !!
BarakaLLaahu feek Yaa Akheel kareem... smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2012
in African culture, we celebrate death. one less burden for our dear beloved Mother Earth.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
cause those who are dead will protect us , they will intercede for us ,in fact we are happy for them cause they left this hell called earth. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by agohavivi(f): 11:09am On Dec 15, 2012
oluface: In Islam You can only cook for those who are coming for a far distance e.g people that are coming from kaduna to lagos or from zaria to abeokuta...
How many people can make such a trip when islam ascribes that the dead should be buried before sun down?
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by agohavivi(f): 11:21am On Dec 15, 2012
komek: When I lost my grand mum, I asked this same question the OP asked.. I was seen as somebody who does nt like to spend money. But spend money on
What?
My Uncle who championed a beffitting burial, nver gave the woman anything when she was alife. So I feel its just to show the kind of class u belong or the kind of person u are. Some pple will eat , misuse things etc without appreciation.
In Edo state, pple are hired to cry for a dead person and after that they will throw a very big party while the corpse is still lying in state.
Hw I wish there will be a law that will stop pple from this mental slavery.
Hmmmmmn! You mean people can be hired to weep for the death of a dear one? If that's the case, the likes of mercy johnson and nkiru sylvanus should leave acting for a more profitable venture(crying at funerals).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adewole Akanbi: Amotekun Should Fight Ritual Killings, ‘Traditional Corruption’ / Candle Light For The Dead, How Relevant? / Sweden To Return 39 Artefacts To Oba Of Benin's Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.