Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,217 members, 7,880,800 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:06 AM

What Makes One Bad??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes One Bad??? (580 Views)

Does God Really Exist? What Makes You Believe? / What Makes You Go To Church? / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes One Bad??? by tobechi74: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2012
are some people bad while others are not ?are there peopl;e who u clasify as being bed e.g adolph hitler . without a doubt? or do you have a reason before classifying one as being bad. does ot depend on time

Last year GEJ was regarded as a good man before election , and he was campaigned to be voted for. early thjis year , he removed fuekl subsidy and was called a bad person , the most criticized. later this year, when powr generally improoovedm, he was called a good man...
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by k2039: 7:30pm On Dec 13, 2012
Transgression against a set law is what makes one bad.
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 13, 2012
Good evening Tobechi,

Nice to know that you have not lost your touch. Some of your topics have really made me to stop and think.

I believe that the act of being good or bad is relative. What one might perceive as good, might indeed be a taboo for another. For example, it is generally believed that snail is very good for the body and it's eaten is encouraged; but in some cultures, eating snail is prohibitive and bad.

Bad can be said to be something of low quality, or it can be said to be associated with someone who has a wicked or evil character or better still, it can be said to be associated with one who is morally reprehensible. Whatever way we choose to see "bad", the common denominator is that it denotes something that is negative.

The question can still be asked: "what makes something negative"? Why have we chosen to call someone who is a murderer, a bad person while we call some other person who kills murderers a "good" man? Both of them killed, did they not? The argument can be put forward, that the latter killed for the greater good while the former killed for his or her own personal gain.

Thus, it can be argued that someone is bad when he does something that is not for the greater good i.e when one does things for very selfish reasons. But again a capitalist will tell you that being selfish can be good. The "selfish motive" is the basis of capitalism i.e in a bid to satisfy your selfish interest, u create products that will satisfy the majority which can also be said to be for the greater good.

I am of the opinion that some standards have been set such that some things are generally tagged as "good" for everyone while there are other things we tag as "bad". Whatever our motivation is for doing something, we should have it at the back of our minds that our right to do good or evil ends where it infringes on the right of the next person.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: What Makes One Bad??? by advocate666: 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
k2039: Transgression against a set law is what makes one bad.

Like the one done by Mandela?
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by mumumugu(m): 6:41am On Dec 14, 2012
Atheist are bad persons
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 14, 2012
mumumugu: Atheist are bad persons

Good morning,
Do you really believe that every Atheist is bad? I don't subscribe to Atheism but really the fact that they refuse to accept the belief in a god or God does not make everyone of them bad. I believe you have a right to your opinion and thoughts but have you really thought about this before drawing your conclusion?

If you have, then it would mean you know every Atheist there is to know in the world and you probably have had some bitter experiences with every one of them. I think we should not allow our emotions get the better part of us. I have been in this world long enough to know that a belief or lack of belief does not make one good or bad.

I am a Catholic but it would be wrong to say that every Catholic is a saint. I have witnessed some individuals in the Catholic church do very terrible things but this is not to say that every Catholic is bad. I have also experienced some very good Atheists. Though our beliefs are different but when it comes to doing good acts without necessarily attributing it to a "god" then some Atheists are better than some of our Christians.

This seem very difficult to accept but it is true. When it comes to doing good or bad, I don't think it is proper to say a group is bad. Everyone diserve to be treated as an individual and not as a part of a group. Just like Marthin said: do not judge someone by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: What Makes One Bad??? by tobechi20(m): 4:43pm On Dec 14, 2012
k2039: Transgression against a set law is what makes one bad.
.,many years ago, twin were killed.it was a set law. MARY SLESSOR was against it and stopd it. Does it make her bad?
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by tobechi20(m): 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2012
striktlymi: Good evening Tobechi,

Nice to know that you have not lost your touch. Some of your topics have really made me to stop and think.

I believe that the act of being good or bad is relative. What one might perceive as good, might indeed be a taboo for another. For example, it is generally believed that snail is very good for the body and it's eaten is encouraged; but in some cultures, eating snail is prohibitive and bad.

Bad can be said to be something of low quality, or it can be said to be associated with someone who has a wicked or evil character or better still, it can be said to be associated with one who is morally reprehensible. Whatever way we choose to see "bad", the common denominator is that it denotes something that is negative.

The question can still be asked: "what makes something negative"? Why have we chosen to call someone who is a murderer, a bad person while we call some other person who kills murderers a "good" man? Both of them killed, did they not? The argument can be put forward, that the latter killed for the greater good while the former killed for his or her own personal gain.

Thus, it can be argued that someone is bad when he does something that is not for the greater good i.e when one does things for very selfish reasons. But again a capitalist will tell you that being selfish can be good. The "selfish motive" is the basis of capitalism i.e in a bid to satisfy your selfish interest, u create products that will satisfy the majority which can also be said to be for the greater good.

I am of the opinion that some standards have been set such that some things are generally tagged as "good" for everyone while there are other things we tag as "bad". Whatever our motivation is for doing something, we should have it at the back of our minds that our right to do good or evil ends where it infringes on the right of the next person.

Thank you!
.. I trust u to give an gud responce.
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by k2039: 7:23pm On Dec 14, 2012
tobechi20: .,many years ago, twin were killed.it was a set law. MARY SLESSOR was against it and stopd it. Does it make her bad?

It depends on what the constitution says about killing.
I doubt if the constitution permitted killing.
Re: What Makes One Bad??? by saintvc(m): 8:01pm On Dec 15, 2012
A bad person does bad actions continuously and intentionaly

if a persn gets angry and puls a trigger hence kiling a person , he is not bad.

For someone to be bad,

he must be aware of d consequence of his action

it must be intentional

it must be continuous

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Paid Money To Get A Dead Human Head / Outside The Church There Is No Salvation/non Christians / Top Nigeria Churches - Place Your Church/parish On The GLOBE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.