Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,708 members, 7,972,620 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 02:18 PM

Politics, Article, A Review–oshiomhole Vs Airhiavbere: A Tale Of Certificate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics, Article, A Review–oshiomhole Vs Airhiavbere: A Tale Of Certificate (626 Views)

Former Edo PDP Guber Candidate Gen. Charles Airhiavbere Dumps PDP and joins APC / Oshiomole Vs Airhiavbere: Judgement slated for TODAY / PDP Governorship Candidate Airhiavbere Loses In His Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Politics, Article, A Review–oshiomhole Vs Airhiavbere: A Tale Of Certificate by tilevbare(m): 7:27pm On Dec 13, 2012
I was up last night feeling a bit unwell (honestly I don’t really know what might be wrong) but in the deep of my chills and thoughts, I received a tweet from Theophilus Ilevbare (@tilevbare on twitter). The content was perhaps the most objective and well-argued article I have read in a long time. As often, I had attempted to reply to the article but I felt, its content contents would better serve the entire Nigeria, at least as a debate subject, on a topic to balance between morality and law. I will attempt to keep my views here limited and non-conclusive (in other words very short) to allow for other people’s views and opinions.

The article in question: Oshiomhole vs Airhiavbere: A Tale of Certificate Forgery (pls read here: http://ilevbare.com/?p=1808# )x-rayed the Adams Oshiomhole’s certificate brouhaha that is being currently petitioned Chris Airhiavbere, the first runner up of the July 14th Edo State’s guber race. For one, the election was accredited as being one of the freest and fairest in the state and I couldn’t agree less. The truth the election sent to all Nigerians was the fact that elections CAN actually represent the wishes of the people. Increasingly, as exampled by Imo and Ondo States, elections have started to wear a more human face and have started to represent the fact that integrity and service are rewarded by a popular mandate to represent and pilot the affairs of the people.

Theophilus was able to present a very balanced view by actually naming the errors in Oshiomhole’s educational qualification pointing out actual discrepancies and drawing some of the judiciary’s decisions, which in total, gives Chris Airhiavbere, the verve; an actual course of action upon which he could seek legal remedy. My only fault however, would be in his conclusions, which ended in committing the Fallacy of Appeal to Pity. I do not begrudge this conclusion as his basis for this conclusion really shows some merit, at least from a morality perspective. Here is the reason I will choose to disagree with his conclusion.

The entire Nigeria has risen to condemn and call for the stamping out of corruption in our society. Much as we may not always agree on how, its benefits cannot be downplayed no matter how insensitive one might decide to be. It is this same premise that has formed one of the fiercest criticisms on President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration apart from being sluggish to rise to several challenges. Sadly, corruption comes in several other forms and our personal affection cannot stand as a justification for them. Thus without running the risk of making a sub-judicial statement, I argue that perjury, when proven, is as corrupt as taking bribes and removing from the public till. This is so true because no matter how well liked a man might be, taking public office under false pretense is tantamount to robbing the people of their mandate to have offered the same leadership opportunity to a more honest candidate. (and in this case, let it not be mistaken that I am taking sides with Chris Airhiavbere …I am not!)

The provisions of the law, despite our affections and loyalties, are fixed. Since we run a secular state, not a religions one, the views of morality CANNOT be used to balance the law, or serve as some form of poetic justice in producing sound argument and determining the right to govern Edo State, as in this case. The error in Oshiomhole’s case thus, cannot be dismissed on the mere fact that he has been governing well or that he is liked by Edo people. Much as his leadership has impacted positively on the lives of the people, the law places him at a handicap if it is indeed established that he forged his certificates.

I am not sure if I should mention this but in the power game where opponents can get as petty as scrutinizing every aspect of one’s life, I find it inexplicable that Adams having earned a Diploma from Ruskin College, Oxford which meets the minimum requirement to stand elections and even allows for special consideration in its admission process, thus not requiring any doctored credentials, to have continued to present such flawed papers (which by the way, does not enhance his candidature) thus giving room to the possibility that Edo may yet lose one of the best governors it has ever had to legal technicalities. It really baffles me! (And I still see that action as one of Oshiomhole’s biggest gaffes).

The most worrisome of the Theophilus’ argument was the attempt to judge Lucky Igbinedion, Oseremen Osunbor and Goodluck Jonathan’s performance on their academic qualification. I will beg to differ on this for one reason: our educational qualification has little contribution towards making us rise to leadership challenges and to take proper actions as may be required of a leader. Many similarly educated Nigerians have also excelled in leadership just as much as the uneducated/semi-educated ones have. Thus his parallels in Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Michael Faraday and co., are mostly mistimed in the context. Most of the great world leaders that we celebrate today hold at least a doctorate degree and they have excelled. The problem in our case has been more of sincerity of purpose and political will than of educational qualifications.

If perjury is actually established, then Adams Oshiomhole may have his election nullified, which, as heartbreaking as it might seem, will be the right course of action. Irrespective of the growth under Edo State and his popular mandate, Edo could lose a gem on account of this impasse. In this line of thinking, let us remember Lance Armstrong, Ben Johnson and Marion Jones. These athletes brought so much honour and glory to their country and could have been shielded for their immense contribution yet, when it was established they were guilty of doping, their entire nation rose against them and supported that their title be stripped even if it was going to stand as a shame to them. The argument was that integrity and honour can only be savoured in truth and fairness. Edo people should also toe this line, if need be.

In closing, I have no doubt in my mind that should PDP win this tussle, Oshiomhole would have effectively become the first governor to be instated by the judiciary and removed by it. And in his tenure, he really set a truly working transformation agenda in motion that even the blind attests to in the history of Edo State. I personally will feel it as a big blow (because I managed to visit Benin under Igbinedion-Osunbor and Oshiomhole and the difference was too glaring) and would wish that the law would at least have made a reservation for emotions and morality but sadly to the contrary. Oshiomhole had confidence in the judiciary to have offered him remedy when he felt injured, he should return the same favour now that he might be on the wrong side of the law.

Theophilus Ilevbare Blogs politics at www.ilevbare.com

You may contribute to this debate by following Theophilus Ilevbare (@tilevbare) and Obinna (@TheArchcardinal). Please let us hear your thoughts.

(1) (Reply)

How Prophet T.b.joshua Predicted Kaduna Governor Crash / Nigeria Among The World's Top Best 80 Countries To Be Born In / Fire At Ebutemetta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.