Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,647 members, 7,902,017 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 07:42 PM

The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) - Literature (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) (149024 Views)

Devilish Comedian The Sequel To Evil Comedian / ANOTHER WEDDING.......A Play (sequel To Just Wedded) / Larry Sun,pls Post The Link To The Paradox Of Abel Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by pricelesslove(f): 9:47am On Sep 13, 2014
Larry oooooo. u dey confuse me oooi. Good morning how was ur night.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Iaz93: 12:53pm On Sep 13, 2014
LarrySun:
Question1: You know na wink
Lol. Okay then, where did she go? tongue

2: It's not very interesting.
Hmm... I wonder why you didn't go for something interesting. Did you study Geography?

3. I have a passion for words. I write much but I don't speak much.
Great!

I hope I've been able to answer your questions. Lol! smiley
Partially. grin

Mr. Larry, may God keep you for us. smiley More wisdom.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 1:00am On Sep 14, 2014
Some things are now clear. The four targets were Jamal, Abel, Ariel and David. This is because Jamal and Abel are already dead and only Ariel and David got funny messages to come over. What is not yet solved is the link Ariel and David, who were supposedly decent men, had with Jamal and Abel apart from blood and how this will relate to the killer. At this point even Remi and her father are good enough suspects and the maid is not left out.

Nice work, Larry!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by solidman59(m): 8:51am On Sep 14, 2014
Nice story Larry. After reading Ariel's testimony I can't help but ask this question: Pls Larry did u also get the inspiration to write this story from the toilet.....I mean loo? grin

1 Like

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by DzTzl(f): 5:13pm On Sep 14, 2014
why do i have ds funny feeling abt d lawyer??
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 10:34pm On Sep 14, 2014
TWENTY-FOUR

Esther—young, with all the curves in the best places—slowly stepped into the room, her gaits were unlike the counting steps of a nun. She reached the chair, sat in it and rested her hands on her thighs like a figurine mummified. She looked from one man in the room to the other.

“You look scared, Miss Malik,” said Lot, who had apparently been studying her right from the moment she entered the room.

“No, I’m not scared,” replied she, “I’m only worried.”

“Worried about what?”

“About everything. Father has been dead for over a week now and the murderer and still at large. I’m worried because the investigation is getting cold. And you might end up convicting someone innocent.”

“That is why we are questioning every member of the family,” replied Lot, “So that we’d be able to gather our facts and not accuse the innocent. You needn’t worry about that.”

“Okay,” she turned to Daniel, “I thought you told me you were a footballer. I didn’t know you were also a policeman.”

“Like I already said, I was once a policeman,” the ex-police officer replied, “But I resigned.”

“Everybody has been saying a lot of things which I didn’t approve of.”

“What are they saying?"

“They said you killed father.”

Daniel was shocked. “Why would anybody say such?”

“They said the detective is only wasting his time; the murderer is with him.”

Lot was quietly watching the two talk.

“What makes them believe I killed your father?”

“They said Vera’s father brought you here to kill father for him.”

Daniel’s eyebrows were raised. “That’s ridiculous!”

“I’m telling you.”

“But why would they think something like that in the first place? Why would Mr. Johnson want to kill your father?” He wanted to add that the man in question was strong enough to commit the crime himself without any help, but he stopped himself.

“Well, from the few words I overheard, the man had not been in good terms with father in twenty years.”

“And they—”

Lot interrupted Daniel sharply, “Miss Malik, how old are you?”

“I’ll be twenty-one next month.”

“You live here, right?”

“I live here.” She nodded assent.

“What can you tell us about the night of the unfortunate incident?”

“I don’t know what to tell you that’ll be different from the fact that father was stabbed to death by person unknown.”

“You’re the last child of the family?”

“That’s right.”

“Were you fond of him?”

“Who? My father?” she shrugged, “Not really, we were not that close. But I loved him nonetheless, a child is always bound to love and respect his parents, no matter what. I loved him as much as I love my mother.”

“Where were you that night?”

“I was in my room.”

“From the plan drawn on this paper about the house, it looks as if your room comes closest to the front of the house where the scream was reported to have erupted.”

“Actually, my room only overlooks the side of the building. I have only one side window in my room, the window is at the adjacent of the building. I’d probably have seen or heard something if my room had two windows. This shows the level of incompetence of the architect.”

“Your room and Famous’ juxtapose each other, I presume.”

“Yes, I believe so.”

“Did you hear anything after the loud scream?”

She looked puzzled, “Anything like what?”

“Anything suspicious—heard or seen?”

She considered the question and then shook her head. “No, I don’t think I heard anything.”

“What about after the discovery of the body?”

She spoke slowly, “I think I heard some footsteps run past my window, but I’m not sure; everything is quite vague now. It has been a week. Pardon me if I’m not an encyclopaedia of night acts.”

“It’s all right, Miss Malik,” Lot assured, “You’re doing exceedingly great.”

“But wait, there was something strange that night, I think. There was a short sound shortly before the loud scream.”

“A short sound? More lights, please.”

“It was like a muffled scream. Much like someone trying to scream with his mouth closed. It came very short, then a few seconds later, the horrible scream came, as though the mouth had been finally forced open.”

Lot leaned forward and looked squarely at Esther. “I want you to think back very carefully, Miss Malik. You said the first scream was muffled, right?”

She nodded. “And the loud one came moments later.”

“Are you sure?”

“No, I’m not sure. The events of that night are blur now.”

“Can you recall if the muffled scream abide till the louder one or if it stopped before it came louder? It’s very important that you remember this, Miss Malik.”

“I think I remember that one; the muffled scream came very short. There was a moment of silence before the shriek erupted.”

“So, what happened after the loud scream?”

“I rushed to the door but it was locked.”

“Who did you meet there at the door?”

“I met only the cook, Miss Simon. She appeared to have heard the scream too. What appeared rather strange to me was the fact that she wasn’t holding the key when she was at the door. Wasn’t that incompetent of her? Considering that the keys to all the exit and entrance doors are kept with her.”

“Does she have the keys to all the rooms?”

“Hell no,” she replied rather calmly, “My room is forbidden to her.”

“From what you’ve said so far, it seems Miss Malik isn’t one of your favourite people.”

“She’s no one’s favourite; she’s too full of herself. Even if you tried to make friends with her she’d make you feel worthless. That’s her mentality, she does think way ahead of her worth. To me, the only thing she’s good at doing is cooking.”

Daniel said, “I don’t blame her much; obese people must have their own defense mechanisms.”

“Well, she looks obese but she doesn’t carry herself such. Gladys is oblivious of her own weight. She carries herself with the agility of a cat.”

“Are you still talking about that big woman who cooks for the family?"

“I know you won’t believe me; but that woman possesses more agility than could have been anticipated in a lady of her apparent colossal avoirdupois.”

Lot said, “Who later joined you at the door?”

“I think it was Vera, then David and his wife. I don’t know who came next between Sister Ruth and Ariel.”

“What can you tell us about your brother, Ariel?”

“Not much. Ariel is a mercurial creature, hard to know and harder to understand. He drinks heavily in company, and just as much when he is alone. His intelligence is relentless and wild, a fire even he cannot control. He swallows entire books at a sitting, finding flaws in arguments, gaps in evidence, errors in interpretations in subjects far from his own. And he’s always quoting Shakespeare! David said it isn’t a destructive personality Ariel has but a destructive mind. Still, no matter what, he will always remain my most favourite person.”

“Do you recognize the weapon used to kill your father?”

“I only know it was a knife.”

“Did you recognize the second corpse that was discovered?”

“Maybe I might if he was clean-shaven. The man was more bearded than the biblical Adam.”

“What’s your middle name, Miss Malik?” Lot asked the question sharply, not unlike an accusation.

“Jen.”

“Jen?”

“Jennifer. They said Sister Ruth christened me that when I was born. I wonder why; most people name babies without caring about derivations.”

“I was told you have a copy of Animal Farm, is that true?”

Esther smiled, “Yes, I do. How did you know?”

“I saw the book the first time I came here. Were you the person reading it that day?”

“Yes. I was reading it out to mother two days before Christmas. She used to read a lot before she lost her sight. I even read Ariel’s books to her; I could see how proud she was of him as she listened to me. Don’t tell anyone, but I think Ariel is her favourite child.”

Lot looked at the girl skeptically, “And that does not bother you? That she loves your brother than you?”

“Why would that bother me? It is natural for a parent to love one child than the other; they shouldn’t be blamed for it. It is only wrong for the parent to favour one over another. Mother never did that; she treats us all with nearly equal compassion.”

“Thanks for your time, Miss Malik; you may leave now.”
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Adinije(f): 10:49pm On Sep 14, 2014
That cook has being my prime suspect from day one.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:18am On Sep 15, 2014
pricelesslove: Larry oooooo. u dey confuse me oooi. Good morning how was ur night.
Good morning to you, too. How was your weekend? smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:19am On Sep 15, 2014
Iaz93: Lol. Okay then, where did she go? tongue

Hmm... I wonder why you didn't go for something interesting. Did you study Geography?

Great!

Partially. grin

Mr. Larry, may God keep you for us. smiley More wisdom.
Amen. Thank you, sir. wink
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:21am On Sep 15, 2014
rapmike: Some things are now clear. The four targets were Jamal, Abel, Ariel and David. This is because Jamal and Abel are already dead and only Ariel and David got funny messages to come over. What is not yet solved is the link Ariel and David, who were supposedly decent men, had with Jamal and Abel apart from blood and how this will relate to the killer. At this point even Remi and her father are good enough suspects and the maid is not left out.

Nice work, Larry!
I like how your mind works. We should work together sometimes. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:23am On Sep 15, 2014
solidman59: Nice story Larry. After reading Ariel's testimony I can't help but ask this question: Pls Larry did u also get the inspiration to write this story from the toilet.....I mean loo? grin
I can't deny that some of the plots come from the johns. Lol! cheesy
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:24am On Sep 15, 2014
DzTzl: why do i have ds funny feeling abt d lawyer??
Many suspects...that's one thing about detective fictions. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:25am On Sep 15, 2014
Adinije: That cook has being my prime suspect from day one.
We shall see. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 10:11am On Sep 15, 2014
The cook might even be one of Jamal's mistresses, who knows?
since he likes anything in skirt but 'm not sure she could be the murderer, she might be the one Jamal wrote that letter

LarrySun...nice job u're doing
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Iaz93: 2:39pm On Sep 15, 2014
Larry's got everyone guessing. Darn!

The murderer will shock y'all. He/she will be the least expected person. Haven't y'all read The Brand of Cain?

I'll guess too; none of them present at the dinner that evening killed Jamal.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 3:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
LarrySun: I like how your mind works. We should work together sometimes. smiley

Should I smile or Blush? I don't know sha.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by pricelesslove(f): 9:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
Larry i don reply ur p m ooo
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by seunviju(f): 10:26pm On Sep 15, 2014
Still keeping my finger crossed to know the muderer.well done sir
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:29pm On Sep 15, 2014
“And more light shines in the gloom.” Daniel beamed.

“I’m not seeing any flicker yet.” Contradicted Lot. “Something doesn’t seem to add up; the Miss said she met the cook at the door. Considering her weight, why was the cook the first person to reach the door? Not only that Esther’s report contrasts with the maid’s. the maid said she took a moment to recover from the shock of hearing the sudden scream; she couldn’t have possibly reached the door first. There’s something definitely improper there; either of the two women was lying.”

“Remember what Esther said about the maid carrying herself with ease. She could easily have run to the door.”

“That’s even weirder, Gladys is asthmatic and suffers increase in BP.” Argued Lot. He asked Daniel, “You heard what the lady said about hearing a short sound before the scream, right? What do you think about it? Was she telling the truth?”

“I don’t see why she’d have any cause to lie about that. It’s absolutely plausible. The murderer, on attacking his victim, placed his hand over the poor man’s mouth to prevent him from being heard.”

An irritated look crossed over Lot’s face, as if a dog had just foiled his carpet. It dawned on Daniel that he was the dog.

“Is that what you believed? That the murderer placed his hand over his victim’s mouth?”

“The lady confirmed it—she said the sound was like that of someone trying to scream with his mouth closed.”

“So, if the murderer placed his hand across the victim’s mouth, how come the scream eventually came?”

Daniel was enjoying the discussion for the moment, because the perfect replied to the questions were still occurring to him. He said, “Apparently, the victim struggled with the assailant who was having his hand over his mouth. After struggling free, the cream came out loud and jarring. You remember that Esther claimed there was a short silence between intervals of the sounds. That silence might have been the moment of the struggle.”

“When you say ‘struggle’, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying the victim struggled with his assailant before or after the stab?”

“After, of course.”

Lot shook his head, “When will your elevator ever go to the top floor? Weren’t you here when the doctor confirmed that death must have been instantaneous?”

Daniel gave an exhausted sigh, “But there should be an explanation for the two sounds.”

“Actually, there is. It’s just that you’ve been looking at the case from the wrong angle. If you take enough moment to think about everything, you’ll see it plainly.”

“Are you saying you already know who the murderer is?”

“I already have an idea about the identity of the murderer. But I won’t tell now because we’ve still got two more people to interview, and possibly, their accounts may thwart my hypotheses.”

“And you’re not going to tell me?”

Lot nodded, “Not yet.”

“I remember Esther mentioned something peculiar about Miss Simon; she said she met her at the door but she was not holding the key that would unlock it. Isn’t that strange? She was always with the keys. Why would she forget to take it along when she knew that she was going to the door? It was only when David and the writer struggled with the door that she declared having the key in her room. I was there, I noticed everything.”

“How long did she spend before returning with the key?”

“About two minutes, at least.”

“It took her two minutes to run down to her room and back, while it took someone of lesser weight five minutes to dash from room to door. That’s interesting.”

"The cook could be having the key right there with her and lying that they were in her room; she could just have turned the corridor, produced the key from her body and returned to us.”

Lot’s brow ascended, “Would she do that?”

“Yes, she would, if she was the murderer. Let’s look at it this way: she killed her boss, quickly returned into the house after committing the act (she returned into the house through the front door because she was holding the key) and locked the door after her. It was at the moment after she’d locked the door and had successfully hidden the key in her being that Esther joined her. So, she pretended battling with the door. If she had confessed having the key on her at the time, suspicion might lie on her, so she lied about it just to give herself respite away from the confused members. Very neat.”

“Not neat at all. What about the two screams: muffled and muffled alike?”

“If not for the fact that the doctor claimed that death must have been instantaneous I’d have believed that the victim made the screams. Therefore, the loud scream could only have been made by the attacker herself.”

“Why would she do that?”

“She could easily have killed her boss and returned quietly into the house. But she didn’t believe that everyone would have retired to bed, and she didn’t want to take that chance. Fearing that someone might meet her at the corridor when returning from the kill, she decided that screaming aloud might cause confusion among the household. By doing that, she believed suspicion wouldn’t rest on her.” Daniel smiled at his own brilliant hypothesis.

“Listen, Famous, if you are going to keep boring my posterior off with all your crap, why don’t you buy a shotgun and blow my brains out? That would be more merciful than the excruciatingly slow death you’re dealing out now; bludgeoning me with your tedious fatuity and moronic philosophies. I’ve had a bellyful of your ridiculous imaginative gift.” Said Lot, “What motive did she have in killing her boss? Her name is not even in the will.”

“It could be a crime of vendetta. Mr. Malik could have wronged her earlier. The man had an adventurous life; he was an incurable skirt-chaser—he might have chased her skirt and succeeded, albeit forcefully.”

“Very unlikely. What gonadal twinge would he have over such a mountain? And I’m not sure if he’d match her in strength.”

“R*pists always possess exceptional strengths when they’re determined.”

“The maid is the only member of the house who really spoke well of the deceased. Do you remember what she said? ‘I hope more of our men can learn to love as he did’. Murderers don’t always praise their victims like that. Or rather, the rap*d don’t praise their r*pists by using such statement.”

“She could be lying.” Persisted Daniel.

“Come off it, Famous; the explanations you gave are simply ridiculous. Call in our next guest.” Lot ordered, leaving Daniel with his own thoughts—which were utterly confused—as he went to summon the next member.

Daniel returned shortly after with a beaming smile. The detective was about to demand an explanation for the guest’s absence when Daniel burst out excitedly:

“She’s here! Abel’s wife is here!”
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
Flakeey: The cook might even be one of Jamal's mistresses, who knows?
since he likes anything in skirt but 'm not sure she could be the murderer, she might be the one Jamal wrote that letter

LarrySun...nice job u're doing
I'm sure you'd be having double thoughts by now. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
...double posts.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:36pm On Sep 15, 2014
Iaz93: Larry's got everyone guessing. Darn!

The murderer will shock y'all. He/she will be the least expected person. Haven't y'all read The Brand of Cain?

I'll guess too; none of them present at the dinner that evening killed Jamal.
Lol! All random guesses. We shall see who is right. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
rapmike:

Should I smile or Blush? I don't know sha.
Lol! Neither do I.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:38pm On Sep 15, 2014
pricelesslove: Larry i don reply ur p m ooo
I replied back the same day. wink
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 11:38pm On Sep 15, 2014
LarrySun:

“She’s here! Abel’s wife is here!”
How come?
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:39pm On Sep 15, 2014
seunviju: Still keeping my finger crossed to know the muderer.well done sir
Thanks a lot, Seun.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 11:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
rapmike:
How come?
Lol! cheesy I'm surprised, too. cheesy
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by oyestephen(m): 11:49am On Sep 16, 2014
Always captivating.......always. I think the killer isn't a member of the family
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Frankenstein: 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
The killer is Esther.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 12:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
Larry, i hope you don't mind me giving u a hug
oya take
((((bear hugggg))))

i'm always dazzled by your imaginative creativity, i wish....
well done Sire.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 12:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
Frankenstein: The killer is Esther.

shocked
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
LarrySun: I'm sure you'd be having double thoughts by now. smiley

e pass double thoughts o

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (50) (Reply)

Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) / WHEN LOVE DIES....( The temptations of Gabriel) / PASTORZONED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.