Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,199 members, 7,970,734 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 02:33 PM

Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! (12049 Views)

A Nairalander Retakes photo Of His Mum And Siblings After 24 Years / Attn Kanwuilia: Five Siblings Marry On Same Day! / Tragedy: 3 Siblings Die In Lagos Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by AdoreKIZITO(f): 5:39pm On Dec 17, 2012
Devil is a liar! Oh! Poor children... Going to meet the lord all at the same time! RIP. For ur mum, i reserve my comment.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 17, 2012
wales: Five children between the ages of four and 12 were killed in an inferno in the Kirikiri area of Lagos State on Thursday.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the five children, Emeka 12, Ifeanyi 10, Chinasa eight, Joy six, and Bright four, who are of the same parents, were burnt alive at their home located at 29 Comfort Oboh Street, Kirikiri.

The parents of the victims were identified as Ogbonna and Margaret Igwuagwu.

Our correspondent learnt that although over 30 people live in the compound, which was completely consumed by the fire, only the five children died.

Sympathisers were said to have surrounded the premises crying and wailing over the incident, while charred remains of the victims were being evacuated.

According to residents, the fire started at about 11.30 pm in the room where the five children were sleeping and later spread to other rooms all made of wood.

The parents of the children were said to have locked them inside the room and lit a candle for them as there was no electricity supply.

Neighbours said it was the usual habit of the parents to lock the children inside the room whenever they were going to their shop in the evening.

It was learnt that the children slept off while the candle fell, thereby spreading the fire to other parts of the room. Woken by the heat, they were said to have shouted for help while the fire raged, but neighbours were too busy saving themselves.

One of the neighbours said the eldest son, Emeka, had begged his parents not to lock them in but allow them to spend sometime outside but their mother refused.

“I can vividly remember when Mama Emeka ordered her children to go and sleep, saying that she needed to go back to attend to customers who were waiting for her. Emeka, the eldest, pleaded that they should be allowed to stay outside for a while.

“She insisted that they should go to bed since they were to travel the following day. I believe that it was in a bid to prevent them from running out of the house that she locked them inside and went away with the key,” she said.

Some neighbours told journalists that they heard the wailing of the children when the fire was raging, but could not break through to rescue them[b] due to a hard burglar proof that was used at the entrance of the room.[/b]

According to residents who witnessed the incident, firefighters were informed but could not get to the scene due to bad roads in Kirirkiri.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The road is not passable and there is always traffic congestion in that area. Men of the Naval Fire Service got here first, but they could not help the situation because the damage had already been done.”

One of the tenants, Udoh Bassey, whose room was also burnt, told journalists that no one could say exactly what caused the fire.

“It started at about 11.30 pm when some of us were still awake. It was the cry from that room that attracted my attention. The entire compound was razed down before help could come our way. I was able to save a few of my property because my room was located far away from the source of the fire.

“The children died because their parents locked them inside the house and went back to their shops close by. We tried but before we could reach them, there was an explosion from one room to the other as all the other rooms were razed down.”

When contacted, spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said the parents of the victims had suffered shock and were rushed to hospital.

“At about 11.20pm, police received a call that a house in Kirikiri was on fire. The house was made of wood and corrugated iron sheets and the fire engulfed it. Five children died in the fire,” she said.

Link: http://www.punchng.com/news/five-siblings-die-in-lagos-fire/

Look at the points I highlighted and think about them for a while.

These are the things that neglect from the government. Our solid burglary proofs are doing the opposite of what they were meant to do.

The absence of electricity is causing death in high numbers.

The terrible road conditions make rescue less likely.

WILL NIGERIANS CONTINUE TO SIDON-LOOK? cry

RIP
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by mamatino99: 5:40pm On Dec 17, 2012
people should stop talking about satan did this and that and stop blaming God why he did not save dose children from the fire when there own perent veturelly sent them to there early grave for nothing,that woman deserve 50years in kirikiri preson,the problem with our people is carelassness then after you'll see them blaming God why did he alowed it to happen,this is absurd to me because they have time to prevent it from happening but because there ways of reasoning they left what are requered of them and face things that is of not use,how can a senceble person light up candle on a wood not evem tiles and not only that she did this ufful thing but also locked her chidren inside and went out to sell what i don't know,were is her brain in ghana or angola.infact i don't know what to say.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2012
wales: Five children between the ages of four and 12 were killed in an inferno in the Kirikiri area of Lagos State on Thursday.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the five children, Emeka 12, Ifeanyi 10, Chinasa eight, Joy six, and Bright four, who are of the same parents, were burnt alive at their home located at 29 Comfort Oboh Street, Kirikiri.

The parents of the victims were identified as Ogbonna and Margaret Igwuagwu.

Our correspondent learnt that although over 30 people live in the compound, which was completely consumed by the fire, only the five children died.

Sympathisers were said to have surrounded the premises crying and wailing over the incident, while charred remains of the victims were being evacuated.

According to residents, the fire started at about 11.30 pm in the room where the five children were sleeping and later spread to other rooms all made of wood.

The parents of the children were said to have locked them inside the room and lit a candle for them as there was no electricity supply.

Neighbours said it was the usual habit of the parents to lock the children inside the room whenever they were going to their shop in the evening.

It was learnt that the children slept off while the candle fell, thereby spreading the fire to other parts of the room. Woken by the heat, they were said to have shouted for help while the fire raged, but neighbours were too busy saving themselves.

One of the neighbours said the eldest son, Emeka, had begged his parents not to lock them in but allow them to spend sometime outside but their mother refused.

“I can vividly remember when Mama Emeka ordered her children to go and sleep, saying that she needed to go back to attend to customers who were waiting for her. Emeka, the eldest, pleaded that they should be allowed to stay outside for a while.

“She insisted that they should go to bed since they were to travel the following day. I believe that it was in a bid to prevent them from running out of the house that she locked them inside and went away with the key,” she said.

Some neighbours told journalists that they heard the wailing of the children when the fire was raging, but could not break through to rescue them due to a hard burglar proof that was used at the entrance of the room.

According to residents who witnessed the incident, firefighters were informed but could not get to the scene due to bad roads in Kirirkiri.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The road is not passable and there is always traffic congestion in that area. Men of the Naval Fire Service got here first, but they could not help the situation because the damage had already been done.”

One of the tenants, Udoh Bassey, whose room was also burnt, told journalists that no one could say exactly what caused the fire.

“It started at about 11.30 pm when some of us were still awake. It was the cry from that room that attracted my attention. The entire compound was razed down before help could come our way. I was able to save a few of my property because my room was located far away from the source of the fire.

“The children died because their parents locked them inside the house and went back to their shops close by. We tried but before we could reach them, there was an explosion from one room to the other as all the other rooms were razed down.”

When contacted, spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said the parents of the victims had suffered shock and were rushed to hospital.

“At about 11.20pm, police received a call that a house in Kirikiri was on fire. The house was made of wood and corrugated iron sheets and the fire engulfed it. Five children died in the fire,” she said.

Link: http://www.punchng.com/news/five-siblings-die-in-lagos-fire/

These are the things that neglect from the government. Our solid burglary proofs are doing the opposite of what they were meant to do.

RIP
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2012
cry cry cry cry
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by vin4ever(m): 5:49pm On Dec 17, 2012
Soo sad. . RIP kids .
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Truckpusher(m): 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2012
Mumu parents lockIng their underage children inside a house with a lit candle....what were they expectIng?....the other day a woman drove into a bank's parking lots and left her 4 beautiful kids and a sad looking nanny inside a running car to join an ATM queue far away from her car, I walked up to her and told her the implications of her actions but she gave me this look as if to say ...Wetin concern you...this angered me more and not until somebody shouted in pidgin English "dem dey go driving school? "that was when she quietly left and came back with her battalion .Most Nigerians don't have a common sense of safety and when the accident happens they burden our heart with sorrow and tragedy that could have been averted by applying common sense....mtcheew poor innocent kids with retardeens for parents.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by freecocoa(f): 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2012
I'm so freaking angry, like what is this?angry

What is wrong with that woman? Why will she lock those kids inside and go away with the keys? Is she crazy?just how can she light a candle in a wooden house and tell kids to go sleep with the candle on?

Does this woman not know what precaution is? Doesn't she know anything can happen at any time? Omg I'm so angry, why why why?

Now 5 kids gone in such a painful way? Chei chei chei I'm so deeply pained by this.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by tomakint: 5:58pm On Dec 17, 2012
Kaxmytex: [size=20pt]So sad[/size]
[img]http://revolutionarypaideia.files./2012/07/black-man-crying.jpg?w=620[/img]

Pe le, God will console you!! undecided
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Truckpusher(m): 6:11pm On Dec 17, 2012
ContInue blamIng the govt and don't think for yourself as a human with the capability to do things right until you go to the grave over some trivial things that ordinarily won't kill anyone....you can blame the govt over unemployment and poverty but can you also blame the govt over the death of greedy people trying to scoop fuel from a fallen tanker?....my friend nature requires that you should use your head(brains) and not your anus to think
pDude:

RIP
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by freecocoa(f): 6:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
The talk about Govt in this case is very annoying, which yeye govt are you people even talking about?

Our leaders are mostly useless and wicked no doubt but as regards this matter, menh that woman is way beyond f00lish, what is she even selling that keeps her out so late at night leaving her little children alone by themselves? Just how careless is she? How can you leave kids that young with no adult supervision, then lite a candle in a wooden house forcing them to sleep in it and still went away with the keys after locking the room? Where is common sense for heaven's sakes? Na Govt sef dey responsible for someone not having any iota of sense?

I'm just so angry, what kind of thing is this?angry
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by freakcin: 6:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
Is something wrong with this particular year or what? This death thing cuts across all social strata oooh! A 42 yr old dude died recently where I work (dude on 10 digit annual pay oooh!)

Father Lord, grant the dead repose and the living fortitude to bear the loss and carry on. . . furthermore Baba God, protect me and mine this December, AMEN!!!
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Xma10: 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
Does it mean d̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅ we have suddenly lost our senses ά̲̣̥πϑ responsibilities cos our govt has failed in their duties ά̲̣̥πϑ responsibilities. For God's sake why on earth will a parent lock up her wards @ night. Without close monitoring all in †ђξ bid ☀̤̣̈̇f making money to keep †ђξ family up. Its high time we learnt from other peoples non-challancy ά̲̣̥πϑ Βε̲̣̣̣̥ careful in our dealings †Φ ensure safety ☀̤̣̈̇f lives. God rest †ђξ souls ☀̤̣̈̇f those innocent children ά̲̣̥πϑ forgive their parents for caring less about them.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Metallurgist: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2012
May be T.B. Joshua has prophecised this deaths too.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by otokx(m): 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2012
ifyalways: Failed parents
Failed country.

Why would anyone lock anyone in a house and go out with the keys?

Country is messed up, nothing works, I'm sure the other tenants were more concerned with saving their okirika as opposed to making an effort to rescue those kids.

Sad, sad news.

take it easy, it is well, even so called educated people with masters lock their children at home and go with the key, so many people in this country do not understand what it means to be parents?

It it the failed citizenry that make Nigeria appear to be a failed country.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by maygah(f): 7:19pm On Dec 17, 2012
Stupid parent, who choosed money ova d life of there children. Doh Its was not intentional but dere dumb heads got dem dere. Dis shud serve as a lesson to other parent wen taking a decision. Parent should learn , understand and accept that the very day they became a parent is d day their child or children bcoms part of dem. So every single decisions dey make , the children's welfare should be put into consideration. U wanna travel , attend parry , relocate to a new house , change of job ,go to d market etc d children should be considered first.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by johndavid1(m): 7:22pm On Dec 17, 2012
baba God na ur hand i dey so oo Death is never my portion in Jesus name AMEN oooh! cry cry cry
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Tsmooth1(m): 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2012
160million people minus 5 =159,999,995. hmmmm!!! 5 Less mouth for Nigeria to feed. R.I.P Kids.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Sheguama: 8:55pm On Dec 17, 2012
freecocoa: The talk about Govt in this case is very annoying, which yeye govt are you people even talking about?

Our leaders are mostly useless and wicked no doubt but as regards this matter, menh that woman is way beyond f00lish, what is she even selling that keeps her out so late at night leaving her little children alone by themselves? Just how careless is she? How can you leave kids that young with no adult supervision, then lite a candle in a wooden house forcing them to sleep in it and still went away with the keys after locking the room? Where is common sense for heaven's sakes? Na Govt sef dey responsible for someone not having any iota of sense?

I'm just so angry, what kind of thing is this?angry

SUMMARY
Mother went to night market or is it shop?
Forced helpless kids to go to bed.
Lit candle in the wooden house.
Locked the burglar proof.
Took the keys away
.... and VvvvvVvv ...fire!!!
No attorney may be able to help her. Yet she
might not be devil but certainly a grievous mistake we should all learn from.
So so painful.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Afam4eva(m): 9:37pm On Dec 17, 2012
We all know that our government have failed us so it's redundant to keep blaming them for anything...

The buck also stops at their mother's table. How can you lock your children in a house and go out with the key without thinking that it will be difficult for them to save themselves when something happens. A lot of parents do this and they need to be advised otherwise.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by jamesbridget13(f): 9:54pm On Dec 17, 2012
oh my God! that fire is too much, i pity those kids, so sadddddddddd may their souls rest in peace. Amen
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by rezzy: 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2012
k2039: Whose fault.

If PHCN gave us un interrupted power supply, would this have happened.

For those blaming the parents, IMHO, she went to make money, afterall the kids and family will eat.

Though I will advise people to use electric lamps and tourchs, but it just occured to me that in cases where their has'nt beeen light for 3 or more days the electric lamps must have gonne off and not even a lot of people can afford a generator.

All thesame may God grant their families the fortitude to bear the irrepairable loss.

pls dnt blame PHCN, because there can be fire outbreak even when there is PHCN. The parents are to blame, why did they lock them inside? They should know safety rules at home. I blame them 100%
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 17, 2012
Gosh mehn na which kain life be this?
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 17, 2012
People just dey drop like pesticide-treated bugs.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 17, 2012
Very sad. Their mother killed those children, as sure as if she'd set the room alight herself. Forget about blaming PHCN. Locking young children in a room is bad enough. Locking them in there with a lit candle is insane. I can't see how clients she had to deal at that hour were more important than the welfare of her children. She's a wicked woman! I can't even begin to imagine what those poor kid's last moments were like.

What really makes my blood boil is people sticking up for this woman, blaming PHCN, the Government, poverty etc. Blaming everyone and everything but the woman herself. Until Nigerians start to put their hands up, and admit their mistakes, tragedies like this will sadly continue to occur.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 17, 2012
Dear Lord!! How sad and utterly preventable. What a loss.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by wobintin: 11:25pm On Dec 17, 2012
God have mercy! This is too much to bear. May the souls of the children rest in peace and May God grants the family especially the parent of the children the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by OOLUSOGA(m): 11:29pm On Dec 17, 2012
May their souls rest in peace. Pls Lord intervene in Nigeria.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Ellashow: 11:34pm On Dec 17, 2012
Everybody is blaming govt. 4 dis tragic events but fail 2 realise d mistake on d parents side...
How can a responsible parents locked their children in without even leaving d keys 2 any neighbours 4 dat matter 2 help check on those kids in case of anything emergencies happens....

And if d govt especially Fashola makes a law 2 ban d use of kerosene lantern or candles, I knw majority of u here on Nairaland will jump 2 label him anti-people or anti-poor masses dat he wants 2 send people out of Lagos....abeg leave govt out of dis and let's call a spade a spade.

RIP 2 d dead and may God grant their parents d fortitude 2 bear d loss
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by patienz(f): 11:47pm On Dec 17, 2012
Oh goodness!! #CRYING#. It breaks my heart to think of the last moments of those children, the pains! God! the shouts, the agony! I just want to wallow in this pain & grieve not point fingers at the mother or the government. However Op, that pic is fake I happen to know the street of the sad tragedy. May the souls of these children & the souls of all the faithful departed...rest in peace.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by ezeama1010(m): 5:37am On Dec 18, 2012
That is what u tend to get when a man and a woman who lacks experience of 'boyfriend and girlfriend things' rush into marriage, when a couple dont know what it means to get their first child after 15yrs, when we are lead by insensitive, ruthless and heartless politicians...I say RIP to those luvly kids and their unexpressed talents.God is watching.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by stantob(m): 6:21am On Dec 18, 2012
Oh My GOD. It's a pity, accept my sympathy. Parents, please stop this idea of locking chilldren in the house.Please, it could be very deadly.Pass the message.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Can You Never Forgive Your Parent For? / My Wife Packed Out Of My House / Fairy Tales Our Grand Parents Told Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.