Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,990 members, 7,873,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year (871 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Vote For Vincent Enyeama As BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by siddiq202(m): 8:21pm On Dec 17, 2012
Christopher Katongo has been crowned the 2012 BBC African Footballer of the Year.

The captain of reigning African champions Zambia was presented with the award at a ceremony in Lusaka by Sports Minister Chishimba Kambwili and FAZ president Kalusha Bwalya.

"On behalf of the BBC, I am pleased to give this award and invite the president of the Football Association of Zambia Kalusha Bwalya to present it to Chris Katongo," the BBC's Farayi Mungazi said before handing over the trophy to Kalusha.

"I'm speechless. I don't know what to say but my heart is rejoicing. I am grateful to the people who have spoken through their democratic vote," Katongo said after becoming the first East, Central and Southern African player to win the BBC annual player accolade.

Faz chief Kalusha -the only player in the sub-region to win the coveted African Footballer of the Year in 1988 - commended Chris on the accolade.

He said Kalusha had carried the legacy of the greatness of the Zambia national team number "11" shirt very well.

"Well done Chris. This is a fantastic achievement in a year that we continue to achieve lots of success. You have stood out as leader and captain of the team. Ben would have been very proud of you because when we said no to retiring the number 11, we said Chris can continue with the great legacy of the shirt. You have done very well. Congratulations too to your team colleagues, Herve Renard and his staff and all the people that continue to support us," Kalusha said.

"You have continued the great legacy of the number 11 shirt. I'm sure you will remember the late Ben Bamfuchile who gave you your first national team game. When Ben was there, we discussed the shirt and when giving you that number 11, we said that this shirt can score goals on its own. The number itself scores the goals and you have lived up to it."

Kambwili dedicated the award to the rest of the team.

"It's wonderful that we continue winning. You would not have been able to do it on your own that's why I would like to dedicate this award to the whole national team," Kambwili said.

Katongo saw off the challenge of Didier Drogba, Demba Ba, Yaya Toure and Youness Belhanda to win his first continental award.

Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by siddiq202(m): 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2012
Yaya Toure will win The main koko come January abi na February
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by ladeski: 8:44pm On Dec 17, 2012
Well deserved

One of the great footballing moments of 2012
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by missbond007: 8:57pm On Dec 17, 2012
Congrats. Thought Drogba would win though.

http://.com/2012/12/christopher-katongo-named-bbc-african.html
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by Bacteriocin(m): 6:37am On Dec 18, 2012
These oyinbo people self. Why don't they have bbc european footballer of the year aside the real one? They always devise ways of polarizing us.
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by ladeski: 11:39am On Dec 18, 2012
No one really cares about this award. The main one is the CAF backed award (jan or feb).
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by omar22(m): 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2012
ladeski: No one really cares about this award. The main one is the CAF backed award (jan or feb).

Wow people treated this award like the Oscar's when Jay Jay missed out on the main award but won the BBC award
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by ladeski: 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2012
omar22:

Wow people treated this award like the Oscar's when Jay Jay missed out on the main award but won the BBC award
true. JJ's inability to win the league in his career affected him in winning top accolades imho, compared to lesser talents who won more.
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by omar22(m): 1:51pm On Dec 18, 2012
ladeski: true. JJ's inability to win the league in his career affected him in winning top accolades imho, compared to lesser talents who won more.

I cant remember El Hadj Diouf (2x), Frédéric Kanouté, Emmanuel Adebayor or Mustapha Hajji winning a league title or might be wrong!!! Jay Jay missing out had a a lot to do with Nigeria voting against Hayatou for the FIFA presidential post
Re: Chris Katongo Crowned BBC African Footballer Of The Year by ladeski: 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2012
omar22:

I cant remember El Hadj Diouf (2x), Frédéric Kanouté or Mustapha Hajji winning a league title or might be wrong!!! Jay Jay missing out had a a lot to do with Nigeria voting against Hayatou for the FIFA presidential post
you may have a point as I cannot rule out politics. Its everywhere ! However Diouf won the league cup for liverpool,and won the league for rangers last year ( albeit long after he won african footballer of the year). Diouf was rewarded for being a key player when senegal reached the QF in the world cup, beating france Tdefending champions) on the way in their first attempt.

As for kanoute, he won a lot more. He's a double UEFA cup winner for sevilla for starters.he also won copa del rey 2ce and UEFA super cup once. Didn't win the league but won important trophies.he scored 23 goals in 39 apps for mali and scored more beautiful goals with various clubs.

Hadji's own was based on the 1998 world cup where he was one of the best footballers.

(1) (Reply)

UEFA Champions League Round Of 16 Fixtures And Dates / Deleted football topic / Picture Of The 2014 FIFA World Cup Official Ball

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.