Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:46 AM

Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice (884 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Moving To Norway Soonest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by mushona(f): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hi guys im a South African woman married to a Yoruba man. We are currently based in Johannesburg and have a 9 year old daughter and a baby on the way. We have a relatively comfortable life here. we are moving to Lagos mid next year and therefore I have been doing some research as it will be a new country for me and my hubby is from Osun so Lagos will also be a change for him. In terms of accommodation we have found a few places online which look good to us but my major issue is day to day expenses. mostly the info im getting online is from expats who live very expensive extravagant lives. I plan to live as much like a Nigerian as possible and just shop in normal shops and markets but I have no idea how much stuff costs. how much would we need to live comfortably from month to month?? diapers, food, utilities, maid?? Also we need a school. A private school (not those international schools that cost $24000 coz we cant afford that. We want a private school but reasonably priced so if anyone can give ideas. Im excited but also concerned so any info on life in Lagos would be great!!!
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by outrage: 4:40pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hey, congrats..
Well I have never been to lagos, but I'll like you to know that its like every city in the world. You will find people that live on less than $1 a day, and some that can spend $100000 in a store and not feel a thing. So, it all depends on you and your hubby, if you guys don't try to live beyond your means then you will do well.
Private schools range, it depends on which you choose
Shopping also depends on you, you might choose to go to market or a normal super market and buy at normal or go to a branded super market and buy for 2x the price. It all depends on you.

I have some questions for you.
Have you been to lagos befor?
If yes what did you think?

Answer this questions sincerly and you have a place to start.
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by outrage: 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
The handler confirms ur SA.. Mushio, muniya, thoes una names na wa.
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by okosodo: 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dont try it. You want to move from heaven to hell abi.
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by outrage: 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2012
^^Guy why naw?
What's hell about lagos? Nigeria has its challanges just like every other nation.
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by mushona(f): 4:58pm On Dec 18, 2012
outrage: Hey, congrats..
Well I have never been to lagos, but I'll like you to know that its like every city in the world. You will find people that live on less than $1 a day, and some that can spend $100000 in a store and not feel a thing. So, it all depends on you and your hubby, if you guys don't try to live beyond your means then you will do well.
Private schools range, it depends on which you choose
Shopping also depends on you, you might choose to go to market or a normal super market and buy at normal or go to a branded super market and buy for 2x the price. It all depends on you.

I have some questions for you.
Have you been to lagos befor?
If yes what did you think?

Answer this questions sincerly and you have a place to start.

Ive honestly never been!! Im very good at living within my means but it would be nice to have a general idea of prices. We are starting a new business so financially we must plan for at least a year in advance until our new business starts to generate an income

okosodo: Dont try it. You want to move from heaven to hell abi.

I dont think im moving to hell!! Ive obviously done my research and I have friends who have been! Contrary to popular beliefs SA has just as much hardship and poverty.

outrage: The handler confirms ur SA.. Mushio, muniya, thoes una names na wa.

Unfortunately I still have to work on my pidgin english!! hahahahah
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by outrage: 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ive honestly never been!! Im very good at living within my means but it would be nice to have a general idea of prices. We are starting a new business so financially we must plan for at least a year in advance until our new business starts to generate an in common
Why not start the business and see how it grows before moving here,you might not even need to cut into your savings if it goes well. Your taking a gamble by moving then starting the business.

Don't worry, the pidgin would come to you, its actually very easy.
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by mushona(f): 5:19pm On Dec 18, 2012
outrage:
Why not start the business and see how it grows before moving here,you might not even need to cut into your savings if it goes well. Your taking a gamble by moving then starting the business.

Don't worry, the pidgin would come to you, its actually very easy.

Its one of those businesses where one needs to be there hands on. And besides I think a change of scenery would be nice. As they say high risk HUGE returns. I am confident about our business plan so im willing to take the gamble
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by PasNet: 5:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
@OP Lagos is a place U̶̲̥̅̊'ll love to live cos it accommodates both the rich and those trying to survive, I'll say categorically that there are no poor people in Lagos, if you are hard working and creative, then you'll definitely enjoy Lagos. With the rate of economic boom and enabling environment, Lagos poses to be not only the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria only but also that of the rest of africa. I won't mind to meet you when you are here in Nigeria, there are a whole lot of places you could shop here in lagos mostly for instance, if you want very affordable consumables like edibles and toiletries, you can visit the popular shoprite, most people do not knw they can get wholesale prices from this shopping mall and funny enough, some stores are springing up daily to accommodate the demand that shoprite can not meet, so if U̶̲̥̅̊ really don't want to get cheated when going to the conventional markets and also get quality stuffs, best advice is shoprite, now for electronics and other house hold stuffs, there are other places you can visit, I won't advice shoprite, SERIOUSLY!!! Do more research and U̶̲̥̅̊'ll get what you want.

The kinda business you'll do in Nigeria too really matters cos you really need a comprehensive feasibility study.

Need more info contact me
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by morpheus24: 5:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
@ poster

If you are moving to Nigeria particularly Lagos and have never been before then brace yourself for some cultural and lifestyle shocks. The city is a busy place bussling with life all over and can be overwhelming at first so exercise a lot of patience in the initial stages.

Comfort in lagos is very essential to ease any stresses that come with moving to a new country so make sure all the creature comforts you are used are sort out in lagos. Where to shop, how to move around and so onYour partner should be aware of this already.

People in Nigeria are very nice if you understand the culture of how things work there so be open to all of that.( We like to shout a lot but it doesn't mean we are angry or upset about anyting, its just the mode of communication , takes getting used to coming from SA)

SA is only 6 hours away from Nigeria so you can always move back n forth easily.

Enjoy your stay in lagos and don't let people discourage you, go see it for yourself and make your own decisions.

Good luck!!

PS. Experience from someone who moved from the states back to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by outrage: 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2012
PasNet: @OP Lagos is a place U̶̲̥̅̊'ll love to live cos it accommodates both the rich and those trying to survive, I'll say categorically that there are no poor people in Lagos, if you are hard working and creative, then you'll definitely enjoy Lagos. With the rate of economic boom and enabling environment, Lagos poses to be not only the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria only but also that of the rest of africa. I won't mind to meet you when you are here in Nigeria, there are a whole lot of places you could shop here in lagos mostly for instance, if you want very affordable consumables like edibles and toiletries, you can visit the popular shoprite, most people do not knw they can get wholesale prices from this shopping mall and funny enough, some stores are springing up daily to accommodate the demand that shoprite can not meet, so if U̶̲̥̅̊ really don't want to get cheated when going to the conventional markets and also get quality stuffs, best advice is shoprite, now for electronics and other house hold stuffs, there are other places you can visit, I won't advice shoprite, SERIOUSLY!!! Do more research and U̶̲̥̅̊'ll get what you want.

The kinda business you'll do in Nigeria too really matters cos you really need a comprehensive feasibility study.

Need more info contact me
Weyre! Her husband is nigerian.

@op
You seem to have a game plan and your mind set to it already, that is basically what you need. Best of luck
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by okosodo: 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
I have given my candid advice
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by Tstark(m): 9:14pm On Dec 18, 2012
@OP,
If the Moderator can kindly move this thread to the frontpage you will get more input and advice
Re: Moving To Nigeria And Need Realistic Advice by morpheus24: 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2012
outrage: The handler confirms ur SA.. Mushio, muniya, thoes una names na wa.

Hahaha. She be Shona lady, possibly Zimbabwean ancestry

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Flights Find Best Cheapest Flights In Nigeria / What You Must Know About Trips To Malaysia / Turkish Airlines Staff, Selim Tartan Assaults Nigerian Female Traveler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.