Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,332 members, 7,884,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 02:26 PM

Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice (1938 Views)

Urgent Advice / Wife Loses Pregnancy Of Two Months After Rape By Pastor-husband / My Conscience Is Pricking Me Over This Issue, Please I Need Your Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 4:16pm On Dec 20, 2012
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 20, 2012
I'll say you should have the test, 1% is really small and you won't fall in that 1% . Just do the test and get it over with.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
How old are you? One factor known to affect the probability of having a baby with Down syndrome is maternal age. That is, less than one in 1,000 pregnancies for mothers less than 30 years of age results in a baby with Down syndrome but for mothers who are older...some say 35- 44 years of age, about 1 in 35 pregnancies results in a baby with Down syndrome. Personally, I think you might just be stressing yourself unnecessarily...believe me, most people in naija don't do the test, pregnancy is carried with faith in God. Believe in God my sister, you will have a healthy baby. However, now that you've started the process and they confirmed your baby stand a chance of DS, talk to your husband, especially since there is a big risk of you losing the baby after the test. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 4:57pm On Dec 20, 2012
candy: How old are you? One factor known to affect the probability of having a baby with Down syndrome is maternal age. That is, less than one in 1,000 pregnancies for mothers less than 30 years of age results in a baby with Down syndrome but for mothers who are older...some say 35- 44 years of age, about 1 in 35 pregnancies results in a baby with Down syndrome. Personally, I think you might just be stressing yourself unnecessarily...believe me, most people in naija don't do the test, pregnancy is carried with faith in God. Believe in God my sister, you will have a healthy baby. However, now that you've started the process and they confirmed your baby stand a chance of DS, talk to your husband, especially since there is a big risk of you losing the baby after the test. It is well.

Thanks Candy,

I am 26years....I have discussed it with my partner and he said courageously that the baby is and will be fine....he is against the test saying he doesn't support me going through the test.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by dlight1(m): 5:57pm On Dec 20, 2012
biolachick:

Thanks Candy,

I am 26years....I have discussed it with my partner and he said courageously that the baby is and will be fine....he is against the test saying he doesn't support me going through the test.

I think that is what you need as it can be very scary and distressing if you keep your heart at the possibilities of the baby having it given the percentage of chance of being affected. One of the secrets of coping with life challenges is having a right attitude to life. All you need to do is believe it won't happen to your baby and never give it a consideration in your heart as it can lead to further complications just take necessary precautions and the result will be great. It is well with you and your baby.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by baby124: 6:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
Better do the test so you know what your next step will be. Hardly do relationships or marriages survive a sick or disabled child. Go for the test, read up thoroughly on downs syndrome and decide if you can provide adequate love and care for such a child. Don't tarry and leave anything to chance. Forget what your partner says and be realistic. At the end of the day, if he decides its too much for him nko?
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 20, 2012
Well biola.... I've always done the one you're scared of tho, cos I always had high risk pregnancies, they stick the needle in my tummy and take amniotic fluid with some tissues and ran the tests....

I'm not telling you to go ahead cos all medical history are different , I just wish you best of luck in this journey,

Well ( all lets be real here), as a psychiatric nurse, raising a child with mental / intellectual disability involves a big decision and planning, many of these kids end up in institutions raised by other people cause they are not very easy to care for at home, they don't give room to care for other kids, they require a lot of focus and attention esp when they are young and many more factors I can state till tomorrow,

but they are humans too and need to be loved and cared for in their own home that's why a parent has to be ready.

Please think about it.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Mikkybee1(m): 7:49pm On Dec 20, 2012
If u believe in existence of the one who created u and that baby? If u do and acept him as ur creator who is greater than science and any nther report then take it to him yes the midwife may be right but the God who give u the baby can change what needs to be change al that he created is good,perfect and sound, note that u say none in ur both family had it and the other forces may be responsible take it to the master planner
please don't use this to move from one prayer house to another just belief in ur God and pray give arms the Lord wil perfect don't be scaredIf u believe in existence of the one who created u and that baby? If u do and acept him as ur creator who is greater than science and any nther report then take it to him yes the midwife may be right but the God who give u the baby can change what needs to be change al that he created is good,perfect and sound, note that u say none in ur both family had it and the other forces may be responsible take it to the master planner
please don't use this to move from one prayer house to another just belief in ur God and pray give arms the Lord wil perfect don't be scared
If u believe in existence of the one who created u and that baby? If u do and acept him as ur creator who is greater than science and any nther report then take it to him yes the midwife may be right but the God who give u the baby can change what needs to be change al that he created is good,perfect and sound, note that u say none in ur both family had it and the other forces may be responsible take it to the master planner
please don't use this to move from one prayer house to another just belief in ur God and pray give arms the Lord wil perfect don't be scared

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
Are you in Nigeria or outside? I would quickly seek a second opinion. I see no reason why they could not do a triple or quad screen at 15 weeks when it can be done even beyond that up to 20 weeks I believe. The neck ultrasound and higher level ultrasound can also be done after 15 weeks. So if your midwife only did one of the blood tests instead of the 3 or 4 she should have done, She's putting you in a state of panic based on very little information. There could still be options before the stage of amniocentesis. Quickly find a reliable OB, not a midwife and discuss your next steps. If you are in Nigeria though, good luck finding people who know what they are doing that you can get a quick appointment with.

It may still eventually come down to a decision to do the amniocentesis or not but at least other easier tests would have been done which may have ruled out the need for an amnio.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 20, 2012
Chaircover should move this thread to health section .... she'd get help and more useful opinions there..... my mind is unsettled when I hear stories like this. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 9:11am On Dec 21, 2012
jidegirl12: Well biola.... I've always done the one you're scared of tho, cos I always had high risk pregnancies, they stick the needle in my tummy and take amniotic fluid with some tissues and ran the tests....

I'm not telling you to go ahead cos all medical history are different , I just wish you best of luck in this journey,

Well ( all lets be real here), as a psychiatric nurse, raising a child with mental / intellectual disability involves a big decision and planning, many of these kids end up in institutions raised by other people cause they are not very easy to care for at home, they don't give room to care for other kids, they require a lot of focus and attention esp when they are young and many more factors I can state till tomorrow,

but they are humans too and need to be loved and cared for in their own home that's why a parent has to be ready.

Please think about it.

Thanks Jidegirl,

You said you've always had high risk pregnancies and you always do the test. Could you please tell me the outcome of the test even though you are always high risk?
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 9:12am On Dec 21, 2012
ileobatojo: Are you in Nigeria or outside? I would quickly seek a second opinion. I see no reason why they could not do a triple or quad screen at 15 weeks when it can be done even beyond that up to 20 weeks I believe. The neck ultrasound and higher level ultrasound can also be done after 15 weeks. So if your midwife only did one of the blood tests instead of the 3 or 4 she should have done, She's putting you in a state of panic based on very little information. There could still be options before the stage of amniocentesis. Quickly find a reliable OB, not a midwife and discuss your next steps. If you are in Nigeria though, good luck finding people who know what they are doing that you can get a quick appointment with.

It may still eventually come down to a decision to do the amniocentesis or not but at least other easier tests would have been done which may have ruled out the need for an amnio.

I live in the UK Ileobatojo. I don't even want to go for any further test again. I will just go through with my pregnancy.. smiley
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 9:24am On Dec 21, 2012
steph7: I'll say you should have the test, 1% is really small and you won't fall in that 1% . Just do the test and get it over with.

Thanks Steph7, I don't think I will do the test.

Reason being that, yesterday I spoke to my mom and she started saying all these midwives are just lookign for what is not there.

She said in Nigeria, do people have the opportunity to do the screening we all do in UK? Of course No, and we don’t have history of such so why should I now worry. She said I should have faith and believe in God and most importantly none of my family and extended family has this syndrome so I shouldn’t panic.

The one that actually got me scared was when she told me a story about her work mate at work coz my mom is a dialysis nurse (she used to be midwife in Nigeria before we relocated to the UK). This her work colleague in UK was 5 months pregnant before but didn’t come to work for like 2 weeks, and just last week, she came back to work and to my mom’s surprise this lady has lost so much weight. My mom then asked her what happened, she then explained to my mom that she did some tests and the midwife said she needs to go through amniocentesis, she consented and they went ahead with the procedure. Few days later she lost the pregnancy cry.

That got me scared, even though they said this test carries 1% risk of losing the baby, I know that’s very small, I wouldn’t risk my pregnancy. Hence the reason why I won’t go for the test. I believe and have faith in God. wink
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 21, 2012
Good, don't worry your baby will be healthy keep on having faith.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by TCD: 1:21pm On Dec 21, 2012
Faith indeed, I'm sure those who had the downs syndrome babies were having faith too.

Look OP downs is not an easy thing to deal with, they can even come with some congenital anomalies like holes in the heart and many others requiring several surgeries. Downs isn't hereditary so the gist about no family or friend has it. Nothing stops you from being the first.

Because you heard someone miscarried 5 days after amniocentesis shouldn't make you scared (the miscarriage might even be total unrelated to the procedure), I'm sure you have heard about someone dying in an auto accident recently, if that's the case why bother risking your life going out at all? You probably have a higher chance of being hit by a bus tomorrow than having a miscarriage due to that procedure.

Nigerians and "it is not my portion syndrome". Many have died because of this carelessness. If you have downs syndrome baby with severe mental retardation its you alone that will carry the cross o, all of us here telling you have faith, "it is well" be in our houses eating akpu and nkwobi while you deal with the mess alone.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 21, 2012
biolachick:

Thanks Jidegirl,

You said you've always had high risk pregnancies and you always do the test. Could you please tell me the outcome of the test even though you are always high risk?
[quote author=biolachick]

You're welcome biola,

Sincerely it always went well and I really didn't even had any bad thought when I went for it, maybe cos I'm a strong person and takes situations in as my fate, cos honestly what was I supposed to do that time, refuse?

One thing though is my doctor didn't tell me all those depressing stories like yours , I did the blood test and then he told me we just need to do the other one to rule out the worse.( he's an old man)

although all the babies were premmies and spent days/ in ICU ( but that was cos if the high risk thingy tho),

but they are all healthy babies now their birth weight was just too ridiculous to take home with me.

Good luck again and may God be with you in every step of the way.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2012
biolachick:

Thanks Candy,

if you're 26 then why are you worried about a downs syndrome baby?
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 4:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
[quote author=jidegirl12][/quote]

Thanks so much Jidegirl. Really appreciate. kiss
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 4:21pm On Dec 21, 2012
davidylan:

if you're 26 then why are you worried about a downs syndrome baby?

@ Davidylan

I don’t even know myself.

I was basically reacting to what the midwife told me that’s why even though it baffles me also at my age
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 21, 2012
biolachick:

Thanks so much Jidegirl. Really appreciate. kiss

You're welcome, it's gonna be alright .....

if you know what I went through with my kids ..... Anybody will understand my overprotectiveness ....

It is well. Peace smiley and enjoy your last Xmas with your hubby alone cos next one will be with that munchkin grin
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by biolachick: 4:36pm On Dec 21, 2012
jidegirl12:

You're welcome, it's gonna be alright .....

if you know what I went through with my kids ..... Anybody will understand my overprotectiveness ....

It is well. Peace smiley and enjoy your last Xmas with your hubby alone cos next one will be with that munchkin grin

May Almighty God protect them for you wink

I will surely do that. grin
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by maclatunji: 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
Na wa O. Can you guys let the child arrive this world safely first before judging it?
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Callotti: 10:46pm On Dec 21, 2012
It is always a source of concern if any unfavorable news threatens your wellbeing and that of your unborn child.
This is a personal matter. . .NO ONE CAN ANSWER FOR YOU.
Do all necessary tests, then go from there.
Teminating the pregnancy is out of the question.
Get with a support group for women with similar concerns.
Goodluck. kiss
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by somebody(f): 1:51am On Dec 22, 2012
@OP, I don't mean to scare you but the very fact that you are 26 tells me your test should have shown a low risk of downs. The fact that you are 26 and had this result is probably what worried the midwife. I had my first at that age and the midwife said oh you'll be fine, you are still young, chances are very low for downs. It's your decision to make but I probably won't go for the amnio as the tests for downs are not 100% but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the midwife's concerns. It's good to have faith but also be wise. Vist babycentre.co.uk - you'll find many women in your situation. Above all, pray for God's guidance - your baby will be fine in Jesus name.
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Callotti: 4:47am On Dec 22, 2012
It takes a special parent to have a special child. kiss
THANK OUR LUCKY STARS FOR THE WHITE RACE! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE4J_0BNXaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-d12qDb7Y&NR=1&feature=endscreen
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by filia4real(m): 5:14am On Dec 22, 2012
My wife was told that she can't carry our baby successfully because she already had a premature labor, unless she come 2 d hosp. b4 she's 15wks pregnant for a rope 2 b tied around her womb. We both went on our knees in prayer and asked 4 God's intervention and she didn't go. To the glory of God she is delivered of a healthy baby boy around her 38wks plus. So pls doctor's report is not d final in your life. What has God said concerning d situation in ur life? Learn to trust God who is d First and the Last!
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Callotti: 11:36am On Dec 22, 2012
Like the Down Syndrome babies are from the 'Doctors' or 'Devil's Prayers'? undecided
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
THESE SO-CALLED CHRISTIANS CAN BE SO ANNOYING ALL THE PHOCKING TIME!

Thank my lucky stars for coming to the WHITE MAN'S LAND!
I did not have any doubt that Trisomy babies are indeed smarter than MOST Africans.
The kinds of things 'Black People' fuss about.
Meanwhile, the so called 'normal' babies are growing up to be kidnappers and ritualists all over Nigeria,
LIKE THEY ARE THE ALPHA AND OMEGA OF LIFE AND DEATH.
Gosh!
Very IRRITATING! angry

Abeg OP. . .if you have the infant and it turns out to be positive for 'Trisomy 21'. . .please take a GUN AND SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD!

Simple! kiss
Re: Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 22, 2012
and (good cheesy)

brrrrrrrr

(1) (Reply)

The Rare Disease That Makes A 16-year-old Look 60 / See Me See Wahala / Women Are Not Liabilities!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.