Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,181 members, 7,897,034 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? (3916 Views)

Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Kanoro: 8:25pm On Dec 21, 2012
Hello everyone. I ran into this website and fell in love with it. It's nice to see that there is a large online community out there that shares the rich cultures of Africa with one another. I am an American but I am very very interested in African cultures. More specifically West African history such as the Benin Empire and the Ashante Confederacy. Anyway I have come to notice that Americans and most other Westerners have a tendency of excluding and criticizing any and everything African. If you look up anything such as a sword or a house or anything of that nature, you will probably find a Wikipedia page that thoroughly describes it's history and usage in Europe, generously describes it in Asia and the Americas but excludes Africa entirely. If it does include it, it'll be a brief description, a somewhat negative description or generalizing the entire continent into one small paragraph. Anyway I have learned a lot about African polities throughout history by doing my own research about it. I was very impressed and pleased at what I learned about my ancestors and I have goals and ambitions on changing the world's views on it through my artwork. I plan to make an RPG based primarily on African cultures. Sorry for steering clear of the original subject but I will ask it again. What does an African generally think of a black American? Really all you ever hear about Africa here are negative things unfortunately.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2012
here we going again, , *smh

Akata on board! ahoy!

1 Like

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by ifyalways(f): 11:55pm On Dec 21, 2012
Sharing same complexion with anyone does not guarantee racial solidarity.

We have very different cultures, way of life.

^ ^ my thoughts on black Americans.

1 Like

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 1:27am On Dec 22, 2012
Kanoro: Hello everyone. I ran into this website and fell in love with it. It's nice to see that there is a large online community out there that shares the rich cultures of Africa with one another. I am an American but I am very very interested in African cultures. More specifically West African history such as the Benin Empire and the Ashante Confederacy. Anyway I have come to notice that Americans and most other Westerners have a tendency of excluding and criticizing any and everything African. If you look up anything such as a sword or a house or anything of that nature, you will probably find a Wikipedia page that thoroughly describes it's history and usage in Europe, generously describes it in Asia and the Americas but excludes Africa entirely. If it does include it, it'll be a brief description, a somewhat negative description or generalizing the entire continent into one small paragraph. Anyway I have learned a lot about African polities throughout history by doing my own research about it. I was very impressed and pleased at what I learned about my ancestors and I have goals and ambitions on changing the world's views on it through my artwork. I plan to make an RPG based primarily on African cultures. Sorry for steering clear of the original subject but I will ask it again. What does an African generally think of a black American? Really all you ever hear about Africa here are negative things unfortunately.

You can check out the following threads about West African history:

https://www.nairaland.com/1003303/oyo-empire-1300ce
https://www.nairaland.com/1003276/ghana-empire-300-ce
https://www.nairaland.com/999280/great-zimbabwe
https://www.nairaland.com/998137/great-songhai-empire
https://www.nairaland.com/992512/history-eyo-festival
https://www.nairaland.com/1009538/dahomey-women-warriors
https://www.nairaland.com/582176/benin-art-architecture
https://www.nairaland.com/782659/art-architecture-igbo-people
https://www.nairaland.com/770881/art-architecture-yorubaland
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 1:33am On Dec 22, 2012
What do I of African Americans??

Hmm.. I think African Americans paved the way for black/African people in the "modern" world - they made being black cool again... They also opened the door for Africans/blacks in the diaspora - and I'll forever be proud of their achievements in the annals of African/black history... They're not perfect but their contributions to black history and consciousness will be celebrated till the end of time...

God bless African Americans... grin

3 Likes

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Blyss: 3:21am On Dec 22, 2012
shymexx: What do I of African Americans??

Hmm.. I think African Americans paved the way for black/African people in the "modern" world - they made being black cool again... They also opened the door for Africans/blacks in the diaspora - and I'll forever be proud of their achievements in the annals of African/black history... They're not perfect but their contributions to black history and consciousness will be celebrated till the end of time...

God bless African Americans... grin

It's about time we've gotten some gratitude around this dump.

1 Like

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Kanoro: 6:16pm On Dec 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Akata on board! ahoy!

Well I have no idea who or what Akata is but your reaction seems a bit unnecessary. I'm new to this site so I don't exactly know what has and has not already been posted.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2012
There isn't much to think about, I just know you guys are blacks as well and sometimes blacker with similar but sometimes different problems with africans. Generally, people out here don't know or care about y'all and your problems, we've got enough of ours.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Blyss: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2012
Kanoro:

Well I have no idea who or what Akata is but your reaction seems a bit unnecessary. I'm new to this site so I don't exactly know what has and has not already been posted.

I'm also a black-american, and I can tell you right now that most are full of hatred for us, though hypocritically love to indulge in our cultural attributes such as music, dress styles, lingo.. so on and so forth.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:10am On Dec 23, 2012
Blyss:

I'm also a black-american, and I can tell you right now that most are full of hatred for us, though hypocritically love to indulge in our cultural attributes such as music, dress styles, lingo.. so on and so forth.

i feel you 100 percent but Americans do the same thing.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
Blyss:

I dont even listen to your music. because im confused whether that is even music or wat?
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:05am On Dec 24, 2012
Blyss:

...You see the Red Brah....?

Now answer this question.

Who is on Whose Forum.

..........?...

Oh Ok.

Do you see how stupidd the average Black American male is?.

The Intelligence Equivalent to that of Vile Road Kill.

In the Midst of Typing that Terrible, poorly thought out post, at not one point did it dawn on you that you were engaging in a complete contradiction.

Superlative Stupidity..... wink

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Blyss: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
الملكي فوق الله:

[color=#000099][i]...You see the Red Brah....?

Who is on Whose Forum.

I am on Seun's forum. undecided

Yes, I see it every time I take interest in reading one of your nonsensical posts. smiley

Well you aren't that dim, I'd say your intellectual ability is equivalent to at least fresh road kill, dead none the less. Carry on. smiley

In the Midst of Typing that Terrible, poorly thought out post, at not one point did it dawn on you that you were engaging in a complete contradiction.

You're correct, it never did and it sill doesn't. I mean after all, I do only possess the meager intelligence of old Vile road kill, I'd need your fresh kill mental ability to explain to me just how exactly my words in relation to the location I posted them were contradictory. smiley

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious stupidity is what this is. smiley
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun is Nigeran, and he named the Forum "Nairaland" for his Nigerian People.

Again I ask, Who is on Whose Forum?...

Now... Moving on my Tiny Primitive Brained Fellow American Negro....

Can you explain to the forum...and the viewing public why you claim to be married...

yet when you first came to nairaland your very first created thread was a perversion laced journey into a voyage embarking upon procuring Igbo Women?

Under the false gist of a fake picture, that you posted of a male model below?

.....Care to Explain?

2 Likes

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by TableLeg(m): 3:54pm On Dec 24, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 24, 2012
So either you procured this imaginary "Wife" Via Nairaland, as Some sort of Perverse Dating Website Vehicle....many years ago.

Or You have no wife, and just have an infatuation with obtaining Igbo Women...

Could that be the reason you are seen on this forum in 2009 trying to lure young Igbo Women with this fake picture as this Male Model?....

....?... grin

Care to Explain this? lol

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by somalia9: 5:40pm On Dec 24, 2012
word

Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 24, 2012
...lol
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Blyss: 6:07pm On Dec 24, 2012
Didn't you already ask this on another thread?

LOL. Damn, you are quite the Neurotic. cheesy Thanks for dragging that masterpiece up for me, Fam. It brings back good memories, from when there were some actual good, fun forum members in this place, I had fun reading through all those early DaRapture posts again. I can remember laughing my azz off as I sat and thought up all that shiat to say to my girl Amaka, who I strongly believed was behind my KB1 account getting banned for life. I had her going for a good long while too, before a few other clever posters outed me. Now that shiat was fun, because it was way out of the norm of my normal character style. DaRapture was my third character on this place, my past 2 prior to it (Hero and then KB1)were both banned for life. cheesy As Hero and KB1 I was an actual serious poster, most if not all my posts were hardcore, speaking on African politics, serious communicative discussion of the relations between black-americans and Africans, none of this foolishness I've been doing as DaRapture and now Blyss, and at the same time I was running as Hero and KB1 I was running hard on a few other African forums, like the African section of "Skyscraper City" and "Naija Rules" as well as "Nigerians in America".

To say the least I'm legendary on these Nigerian forums, I've been banned multiple times on every single one I posted on. cheesy They used to hate my guts in these places, for the simple fact of that I was one of the first to ever come in these places take all their shiat and role with it. They'd give me all kinds of hell about me being on their forum and basically not kissing their azz, they weren't used to that shiat at all, because most of the non-Nigerians who cam on theses places before me were some lame azz girls looking to get information about how to please some Nigerian guy they met, or some other lame stuff like that, or It'll be some body who just found out that they were of some Nigerian ethnic descent and were here to connect.

So the folks on here would give them a few choice words of advice, most of which were self-fulfilling of their bloated egos, and the hapless foreigner askee would just go on about their business and disappear without much of a challenge. I came in and destroyed that whole system, along with a few other BA and Caribbean posters, but more so BA. AWWWW the good ol days. I'm 10 years strong running on these Naija forums, which is as long as I've been with my beautiful Nigerian-American wife, who by the way thinks I'm foolish for after all these years still taking the time out of my often busy schedule to communicate with you Neurotic people. You need to lighten up; trust me, I used to be like you. In the end it doesn't pay off. This shiat aint that serious, Playa. undecided Anyway, enough of my babbling, carry on soldier.

Yeah, you're quite forgetful. All of your questions are answered in that quote, if you're a comprehensive reader.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
I don't see any answers Brah..

I see Lameness...

I see, some real pathetic bullshit...lol

But I don't see answers...

How could a "straight" male ever justify using a picture of another male and pretending to be him to obtain the services of a young lady?..

By the way, check time stamps of post, before you reply to a post that was written before you raised your white flag lol wink
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Blyss: 6:24pm On Dec 24, 2012
الملكي فوق الله: I don't see any answers Brah..

I see Lameness...

I see, some real pathetic bullshit...lol

But I don't see answers...

How could a "straight" male ever justify using a picture of another male and pretending to be him to obtain the services of a young lady?..

By the way, check time stamps of post, before you reply to a post that was written before you raised your white flag lol wink

So you're not a comprehensive reader, or are you just not seeing what you want to see.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 24, 2012
Blyss:

So you're not a comprehensive reader, or are you just not seeing what you want to see.

Your Resignation Letters started in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/990108/visit-enugu

At 5:47 pm

My Post in this thread about your "Bizarre Dating Site Fake Pic Scandal to Obtain Igbo Women while posing as a male model" was written here at 3:52 PM....

..Now will there be anything else Sir?

...As i told you in the other thread....Step off old man. You have been thoroughly discarded and disregarded

Have a Good Day my Fellow American Citizen.

Best of luck to you in finding your Igbo Love Interest in the Dating and Meet Up Section of the Nairaland Forum. cool
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by iweoru: 11:59pm On Dec 24, 2012
When the media controls how or what people are represented it will influence the response of it's audience whether or not they are consciously aware of subversive misrepresentation. Your question is difficult to answer mainly because the responses will be subject to bias. Perhaps you should ask instead: "how do you perceive _______ (insert ethnic/racial group) based on how they are presented in the media?"

Ultimately, unity among the African diaspora (which rightfully includes African Americans) will help our society as a whole to progress. However, when our words and actions degenerate to slander and vitriol, then we are no better than the olowo eru. If divided we stand then divided we will fall.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Kanoro: 12:59am On Dec 25, 2012
الملكي فوق الله:

...You see the Red Brah....?

Who is on Whose Forum.

..........?...

Oh Ok.

Well I don't type like that for one. And also whites type like that too. It's just a cultural thing rather than an "intelligence" thing. My sister for example types q's instead of g's. It's not because she doesn't know any better. She just does it. Anyway I didn't post this for stereotypes or prejudice of the race as a whole. I simply wanted the general consensus on what most Africans think of Americans. I'm proud of my anscestory and I hope that one day I am successful at sharing it with the world and proving that there is more to African than what is seen on the discovery channel.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by MrsChima(f): 2:06pm On Dec 25, 2012
As I said before and will stand on it......

Blacks as a whole will never prosper. Run and tell that.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by somalia9: 5:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
As I said before and will stand on it......

Blacks as a whole will never prosper. Run and tell that.

Well finally one of you said it and not me. I rest my case. I will now permanently retire from this site. Congratulations.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by MrsChima(f): 9:44am On Dec 26, 2012
Dumb rice love-vendor...I have said it for years!!!
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by MrsChima(f): 9:50am On Dec 26, 2012
When people learn to keep it real and not ignorant...they can do better
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by somalia9: 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
When people learn to keep it real and not ignorant...they can do better

your anuus is my mine. am keeping it real.
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 26, 2012
Why is this Idiott at 12:59 Quoting me?...LoL
Re: What Do Africans Think Of Black Americans? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Akata on board! ahoy!
hahahahaha grin grin grin
wait, ahoy?? like chips ahoy?? tongue

@Ifyalways: You're always on point!

@Thread: Think of all the negative stereotypes about African Americans.....Yep, that's exactly what we think of y'all

Nigerians in Nigeria are quite different though, some just see African Americans as Americans, period! Nigeria is not a skin conscious society, so they really don't know you're "black"..................................

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yorubaland:the Best Place To Marry From? / Africas Got Talent!! / Meaning Of Chimaobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.