Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,014 members, 7,912,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 02:15 PM

Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace (4157 Views)

Osinbajo's Protocol Officers Clash Over Aregbesola's Table At Ooni's Burial / BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Rocks Military Church At Jaji In Kaduna / Gunmen Attack Deeper Life Church At Okene Kogi State, Kill 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by babapupa: 3:44pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks: I feel sorry for the confused lot who have 201 gods who are pulling them every which way. The Ooni who serves only one God seems to be wiser than you people. If Ooni's actions do not show you that your 201 gods are useless, nothing else will. No wonder the most SW muslims seems incapable of practicing true Islam and most of their Christian "Pastors" are money pastors. SMH

I'd suggest that people should not wastre their time in trying to reason with people like narrow minded babapupa. His "cogent" points are usually filled with name calling and other abuses just like eko ile's.

Na ignorance dey trouble you. The idea of one God in heaven Olorun/Oluwa Oba existed in Yoruba land long before Europeans and Arabs introduced theirs to your people. You are practicing their religion simply because of kolomental.

Rif Raf with no sense of history and knowledge...
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by hercules07: 4:20pm On Dec 22, 2012
nobaga: 1. We must separate personalities from offices. Ooni is the father, Alafin is the son and Oba of Benin is the grandson.

2. A church has no place in the most recognized, most studied and most respected religion in Africa.

Alaafin is not the son of anybody, he is a direct descendant of our progenitors while the Ooni is just a priest.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by DuduNegro: 5:16pm On Dec 22, 2012
when history was passed down the generstions orally there was no confusio. we started writing our history on paper and now we are confused. what a tragedy!
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks: I feel sorry for the confused lot who have 201 gods who are pulling them every which way. The Ooni who serves only one God seems to be wiser than you people. If Ooni's actions do not show you that your 201 gods are useless, nothing else will. No wonder the most SW muslims seems incapable of practicing true Islam and most of their Christian "Pastors" are money pastors. SMH

I'd suggest that people should not wastre their time in trying to reason with people like narrow minded babapupa. His "cogent" points are usually filled with name calling and other abuses just like eko ile's.
bro! It is not 201 gods but 401 deities.
Ooni doesn't serve one god. He participates in every spiritual appease to many of the deities either in appearance or absential, most especially olojo festival of ogun worshipping that always take place in oke moogun.
Few years ago he tried renouncing idol worshipping and said he wouldn't be participating in that years olojo festival but he became sick to the point of death and had no choice and faith than to revert his renounciation.
Igbos mostly practice catholism and catholism has its roman culture acquisition to the christianity they practise like all these xmas, rosery and co likewise yorubas with the christianity diluted with indigenous religions.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2012
Tolexander: bro! It is not 201 gods but 401 deities.
Ooni doesn't serve one god. He participates in every spiritual appease to many of the deities either in appearance or absential, most especially olojo festival of ogun worshipping that always take place in oke moogun.
Few years ago he tried renouncing idol worshipping and said he wouldn't be participating in that years olojo festival but he became sick to the point of death and had no choice and faith than to revert his renounciation.
Igbos mostly practice catholism and catholism has its roman culture acquisition to the christianity they practise like all these xmas, rosery and co likewise yorubas with the christianity diluted with indigenous religions.

This is quite interesting. Can you provide any evidence to support the idea that Ooni became sick because of his renunciation of idol worshiping? It appears to have been a coincidence at best, if Ooni was sick right after the said renunciation. Secondly, I'd appreciate any evidence to support the notion that Ooni reverted the renunciation.

I'm here to learn. Have you been satisfied in your mind that these deities are more than a mere figment of your imagination? If so please share with me how you arrived at the conclusion. Thanks in advance.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by DuduNegro: 7:29pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This is quite interesting. Can you provide any evidence to support the idea that Ooni became sick because of his renunciation of idol worshiping? It appears to have been a coincidence at best, if Ooni was sick right after the said renunciation. Secondly, I'd appreciate any evidence to support the notion that Ooni reverted the renunciation.

I'm here to learn. Have you been satisfied in your mind that these deities are more than a mere figment of your imagination? If so please share with me how you arrived at the conclusion. Thanks in advance.

_chucks,

i have a respinse for u on deities, but not now.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Ngodigha1(m): 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2012
It is so nice to have Babapupa back here in nairaland. He is a boy who is not afraid to say the truth. While Babapupa was away, yorugba boys and girls have been defending the fools who have made yorubaland a laughing stock.
Babapupa is not afraid to shame Awo or any yoruba leader.
Babapupa is the best yoruba poster in nairaland.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

am in ife town schooling from childhood. And besides i have elders who are chiefs and clergy that always go to the palace often that do tell me what happens in the palace in enuwa.
Do i need giving a link to what i know?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by tpia5: 8:55pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

i dont see what's so unbelievable about his claim. Not a big deal either, imo.

what do you find mysterious in what he said?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 9:04pm On Dec 22, 2012
tpia@:

i dont see what's so unbelievable about his claim. Not a big deal either, imo.

what do you find mysterious in what he said?

thank u jare. I wonder o! Just making a storm out of a teaspoon
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 9:22pm On Dec 22, 2012
Tolexander: am in ife town schooling from childhood. And besides i have elders who are chiefs and clergy that always go to the palace often that do tell me what happens in the palace in enuwa.
Do i need giving a link to what i know?

With due respect, I need more than tales from elders to buy what you've said. As you can tell from this thread, many Yoruba sons have differing opinions about the origin and role of the Ooni, so the facts that you schooled in Ife town and certain elders told you certain things, are not convincing enough for me. Such a pronouncement by the Ooni and its accompanying renunciation must have been publicized or documented. Please provide any evidence you have other than hearsay to make your claims believable
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

With due respect, I need more than tales from elders to buy what you've said. As you can tell from this thread, many Yoruba sons have differing opinions about the origin and role of the Ooni, so the facts that you schooled in Ife town and certain elders told you certain things, are not convincing enough for me. Such a pronouncement by the Ooni and its accompanying renunciation must have been publicized or documented. Please provide any evidence you have other than hearsay to make your claims believable
haw does it affects me if you bought it or not? I narrated my own memoir of the incidence of what i heard from chiefs and priest you are asking for a link that has nothing to do with your daily living.
If you are not satisfied with it, then leave it or better still go to the palace and ask the ooni himself for full confirmation.
Chinua Achebe wrote his own memoir of the civil war, did he provide a link for it, or is he an ominiprescent that was present and witnessed every events that preceded and during the civil war? Yet you stil believed he said the truth!
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by redsun(m): 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2012
I thought the oni was a wise man,considering the fact that he is wealthy?Anyway,nigeria wealth is usally creyfish wealth aka money miss roads.

Even imbeciles are wealthy in nigeria,all they need are direct connections to the thieving politicians.There seems to be a recent trend among nigerian traditional rulers going amok by resorting to foreign and baseless religions like christianity and islam and it tend to be the final nail on the coffin of nigerian culture,morality,dignity and identity.

The death of a culture means the death of a people.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Rossikk(m): 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2012
ndu_chucks:

JESUS IS AN IDOL AND A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION. THE WHITE MAN, LACKING PROOF OF ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE, GOT AROUND THAT BY WARNING YOU TO ''SHUT UP AND SIMPLY HAVE FAITH'', AND LIKE A TRUE SHEEP (MUGU), YOU OBEYED.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by itsme2(m): 11:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
I almost cudnt believe my eyes when i was reading this post from the op, i am highly disappointed to say the least. This is a blatant disregard for our culture, history and traditions. It seems we are proving more and more by the day that we are a lost race, even our so called elders and Obas are the biggest cheerleaders so to speak. For cryin out loud - what is a church doing in the palace of the alashe ikeji orisha? Ooni's palace in particular and the whole of Ife is the Yorubas 'mecca' which also shouldnt be descecrated by foreign gods. Every well meaning Yoruba son and daughter should stand up against this regardless of religious affiliation. It is totally unacceptable. We should strive to protect whats left of our almost shattered heritage.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 11:56pm On Dec 22, 2012
Tolexander: haw does it affects me if you bought it or not? I narrated my own memoir of the incidence of what i heard from chiefs and priest you are asking for a link that has nothing to do with your daily living.
If you are not satisfied with it, then leave it or better still go to the palace and ask the ooni himself for full confirmation.
Chinua Achebe wrote his own memoir of the civil war, did he provide a link for it, or is he an ominiprescent that was present and witnessed every events that preceded and during the civil war? Yet you stil believed he said the truth!

Oga, it appears you are not up to the task of defending your stance. You are yet to convince me that a lie detector was used to extract your information from the chiefs,priests, and elders. Oga mi dey compare himself to Achebe o, e gba mi o.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 11:57pm On Dec 22, 2012
Rossikk:

JESUS IS AN IDOL AND A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION. THE WHITE MAN, LACKING PROOF OF ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE, GOT AROUND THAT BY WARNING YOU TO ''SHUT UP AND SIMPLY HAVE FAITH'', AND LIKE A TRUE SHEEP (MUGU), YOU OBEYED.

Oga, do I know you and have I ever revealed my religious affiliation to you? abi you be mumu ni?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 23, 2012
I wonder what business/connection/hard-on an 'Ndu' has towards Ooni and Ile-Ife/Yoruba lipsrsealed
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 12:29am On Dec 23, 2012
9jacrip: I wonder what business/connection/hard-on an 'Ndu' has towards Ooni and Ile-Ife/Yoruba lipsrsealed

Lets hope that you remember that this is Nairaland and not Ifeland, Olorisaland, OmoObatalaLand, e.t.c. mumu cheesy
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Lets hope that you remember that this is Nairaland and not Ifeland, Olorisaland, OmoObatalaLand, e.t.c. mumu cheesy

OK! Certainly its Nairaland but your discretion should make you realize one should comment on what one can contribute to reasonably - stop trolling and trying to derail the thread!
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nobaga: 3:22am On Dec 23, 2012
Let us face it. Nigerians will rather be seen in white going to church on Sunday or mosque on Friday than be seen at the Shrine. We need a good cleaning up to do when it comes to our rituals. It has to be done from within. Ooni's wife just want to belong to the so called "civilized" world of Christians.

Credit must be given to our youth though, but they have to come out more, not only on yearly festivals.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 7:26am On Dec 23, 2012

since u believe there should be a proof to every news.
Provide a proof and link that there are 201 gods!
Provide a link that Ooni has worship just only one God!
These are questions you must answer pronto!
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 11:10am On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander: since u believe there should be a proof to every news.
These are questions you must answer pronto!

I would have preferred that you tried to provide corroboration for your stance instead of asking me for proof. Since you don't appear to know the answers to these questions, I'll tell you the source of my information which I believe is better than hearsay by some faceless elders.

My information came from the book "City of 201 Gods: Ile Ife In Time, Space and the Imagination’ and In My Father’s Parsonage" by Harvard University Professor of World Religion, Prof. J. K. Olupona. I did not get the information from some illeterate chief who is ready to sell his soul for N100,000.

The truth of the matter is that you people do not even know exactly how many deities you have. I bet you cannot name 30 of the deities, if you can name only 30 of the 201 or 401 of them, I will offer you a public apology, right here and now.

This seems like a dumb question. I think it is safe to assume that the Ooni is a Christian who is dedicated enough to build a Church inside the palace. Now if you claim that, the Alafin, like many confused Christians in the SW, also worship other juju gods, you may have a point, though you are yet to prove that either.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 12:15pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I would have preferred that you tried to provide corroboration for your stance instead of asking me for proof. Since you don't appear to know the answers to these questions, I'll tell you the source of my information which I believe is better than hearsay by some faceless elders.

My information came from the book "City of 201 Gods: Ile Ife In Time, Space and the Imagination’ and In My Father’s Parsonage" by Harvard University Professor of World Religion, Prof. J. K. Olupona.appeal to authority! I did not get the information from some illeterate chief who is ready to sell his soul for N100,000.

The truth of the matter is that you people do not even know exactly how many deities you have. I bet you cannot name 30 of the deities, if you can name only 30 of the 201 or 401 of them,why do i need mentioning them? Just like saying i should mention the over 260 languages in nigeria. I will offer you a public apology, right here and now. Your apology is as useful as the paper in the dustbin that is useless to me.

This seems like a dumb question. I think it is safe to assume that the Ooni is a Christian unwarranted assumption! who is dedicated enough to build a Church inside the palace argumentum ad ignorantium!. Now if you claim that, the Alafin, like many confused Christians in the SW, also worship other juju gods, you may have a point, irrelevant ground! though you are yet to prove that either.
you haven't given the link and proof!
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by sweetgala(m): 12:45pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ndu chucks what exactly is your business with the office of the Ooni or the 201 Yoruba deities. You only seem to be here to enrage and offend Yoruba people. You have in this thread debased and ridiculed Yoruba tradition.

To put facts out there Okunade Sijuwade is not the first Ooni to be active within the Anglican commune. Bofore him Titus Martins Adesoji Aderemi was a treasurer of St Peters Church Iremo and worshiped there till his death in 1980, though no churches were built within the palace during his reign he invested much effort in developing the church. I am his grandchild was christined at that church as several of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren,that is our family church and hold our ceremonies there and my grandmother was 2yrs ago honoured with a post at said church so nothing new.

All these don't take away from our tradition, I know for a fact Sijuwade was denied my grandfathers heart to eat as is customary cause my grandfather claimed he did not partake of such when he Ascended the throne due to his Anglican faith.

I don't want to throw skeletons out that can dirty the royal house of which I belong but I'll tell you this the current ooni is very fetish and practices all religions available to him. He is however publicly Christian.

1 Like

Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 12:50pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

My information came from the book "City of 201 (1)Gods: Ile Ife In Time, Space and the Imagination’ and In My Father’s Parsonage" by Harvard University Professor of World Religion, Prof. J. K. Olupona(2). I did not get the information from some illeterate chief who is ready to sell his soul for N100,000.

The truth of the matter is that you people do not even know exactly how many deities you have. I bet you cannot name 30 of the deities, if you can name only 30 of the 201 or 401 of them(3), I will offer you a public apology, right here and now.(4)

This seems like a dumb question. I think it is safe to assume that the Ooni is a Christian(5) who is dedicated enough to build a Church inside the palace (6)). Now if you claim that, the Alafin, like many confused Christians in the SW, also worship other juju gods(7), you may have a point, though you are yet to prove that either.
(1) ife dont called them 401 gods but deities.
(2) appeal to authority http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ife
(3)need for naming them? Jst like saying i should name the over 260languages in nigeria
(4) your apology is as useful as a paper in the dustbin which i dont value to me
(5)argumentum ad ignorantium
(6) irrelevant ground
(7)hasty generalization. Back to the point now! So you expected every news about ooni to be dispensed by the media? Ooni is a christian as you said, how come he takes part in the olojo festival. Or christianity is about worshipping Jesus and Ogun together?
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 12:50pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

My information came from the book "City of 201 Gods: Ile Ife In Time, Space and the Imagination’ and In My Father’s Parsonage" by Harvard University Professor of World Religion, Prof. J. K. Olupona. I did not get the information from some illeterate chief who is ready to sell his soul for N100,000.

The truth of the matter is that you people do not even know exactly how many deities you have. I bet you cannot name 30 of the deities, if you can name only 30 of the 201 or 401 of them, I will offer you a public apology, right here and now.

This seems like a dumb question. I think it is safe to assume that the Ooni is a Christian who is dedicated enough to build a Church inside the palace. Now if you claim that, the Alafin, like many confused Christians in the SW, also worship other juju gods, you may have a point, though you are yet to prove that either.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 1:08pm On Dec 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

ooni as a christian base on your assumption, and also some1 who worships just one God!http://www.yorubareligion.org/_con/_rubric/detail.php?nr=1678&rubric=News&PHPSESSID=6uu7ldfh36m2670l5bjfmfai56
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by Tolexander: 1:13pm On Dec 23, 2012
sweet_gala: Ndu chucks what exactly is your business with the office of the Ooni or the 201 Yoruba deities. You only seem to be here to enrage and offend Yoruba people. You have in this thread debased and ridiculed Yoruba tradition.

To put facts out there Okunade Sijuwade is not the first Ooni to be active within the Anglican commune. Bofore him Titus Martins Adesoji Aderemi was a treasurer of St Peters Church Iremo and worshiped there till his death in 1980, though no churches were built within the palace during his reign he invested much effort in developing the church. I am his grandchild was christined at that church as several of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren,that is our family church and hold our ceremonies there and my grandmother was 2yrs ago honoured with a post at said church so nothing new.

All these don't take away from our tradition, I know for a fact Sijuwade was denied my grandfathers heart to eat as is customary cause my grandfather claimed he did not partake of such when he Ascended the throne due to his Anglican faith.

I don't want to throw skeletons out that can dirty the royal house of which I belong but I'll tell you this the current ooni is very fetish and practices all religions available to him. He is however publicly Christian.
dont mind the guy, he is on his project and he needs material. Instead of him to bury his pride an paste it as a topic if he would see some1 that will help him out.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 1:17pm On Dec 23, 2012
sweet_gala: Ndu chucks what exactly is your business with the office of the Ooni or the 201 Yoruba deities. You only seem to be here to enrage and offend Yoruba people. You have in this thread debased and ridiculed Yoruba tradition.

I'm supprised that you are wondering what my business is with the office of Ooni or yoruba culture. I remind you that any aspect of Nigerian history including Yoruba tradition and culture should be of interest to all Nigerians. There should be nothing secretive about history and I am amazed that you people are enraged by the questions I am asking which were asked for my enlightenment.

What is clear so far is that, many of the posters here are ignorant of their own history and essentially confused.

If your claim that you are royalty is true, I welcome your input with open arms and I say, Kabiyesoi to you. Did you state above that the Ooni is supposed to eat the heart of his father before ascending to the throne? Has this practice been discarded? If Sijuade was denied his father's heart, is he still a legitimate Ooni? Thanks for your courtesy in advance.

@Tolexander, with due respect, you need to read up on your own history. I may be more knowledgeable about it than you do sir. In the meantime, lets hear from Kabiyesi sweet_gala, and learn together.
Re: Moremi Shrine Must Replace That Church At Ooni Palace by nduchucks: 1:29pm On Dec 23, 2012
Tolexander:
(1) ife dont called them 401 gods but deities.

May I ask you the Yoruba words for "god" and "deity"? If you do not know, there is nothing wrong with that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian States And Their Mineral Resources / Someone Tried To Assassinate Obasanjor Today! But Failed. / Biafra Finally Put To Rest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.