Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,721 members, 7,972,650 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:06 PM

Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues (32251 Views)

Why Believers Should Leave Atheists Alone / Why Believers Rush To Pastors To Pray For Them / Why Christians / Believers Should Not Attend Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2013
Bidam:

Romans 8:26 literally reads, ". . . [b]the Holy Ghost maketh intercession [/b]for us in
groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech."

I will like to take these verses you quoted one after the other. The verse you quoted says the Holy Ghost makes intercession in groanings that cannot be uttered.

How does that support t idea of speaking in tongue?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

I will like to take these verses you quoted one after the other. The verse you quoted says the Holy Ghost makes intercession in groanings that cannot be uttered.

How does that support t idea of speaking in tongue?
Go read the AMP, i think it explains this verse better.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 6:07pm On Aug 19, 2013
Bidam: Go read the AMP, i think it explains this verse better.

26 So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

This amplified seems to say the same thing. It says the Holy Spirit makes unspeakable yearnings and groanings, please explain how this supports speaking in tongues.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

26 So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

This amplified seems to say the same thing. It says the Holy Spirit makes unspeakable yearnings and groanings, please explain how this supports speaking in tongues.
Just like i told you in the other prayer thread, it is the Holy Spirit that helps our spirit-man to pray

For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit (by the Holy Spirit within me) prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody]. Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding (I Corinthians 14:14-15, The Amplified Bible)
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 6:25pm On Aug 19, 2013
Bidam: Just like i told you in the other prayer thread, it is the Holy Spirit that helps our spirit-man to pray

For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit (by the Holy Spirit within me) prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody]. Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding (I Corinthians 14:14-15, The Amplified Bible)

First thing first, the Holy Spirit is God.

Second , the tongue Paul prayed in was understandable.

Back to Romans 8:26

The Holy Spirit groans and intercede on our behalf. How does this statement support speaking in tongues?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2013
[quote author=shdemidemi]

OK

nope.

The Holy Spirit groans and intercede on our behalf. How does this statement support speaking in tongues?
Is the Holy Spirit visible?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

how does d holy spirit groans and intercedes for us?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2013
christemmbassey: how does d holy spirit groans and intercedes for us?

The same way Christ makes intercession for us at the right hand of God
Romans 8
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

The believers groan too even within himself

Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

The Spirit of God deposited in us groan too.

Groaning is that sound we make when we are in pain, interceding is simply prayers the Spirit makes on our behalf. It has nothing to do with speaking in tongues except you have scriptural passages that says the Holy Spirit speak in tongues.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 8:25pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

The same way Christ makes intercession for us at the right hand of God
Romans 8
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

The believers groan too even within himself

Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

The Spirit of God deposited in us groan too.

Groaning is that sound we make when we are in pain, interceding is simply prayers the Spirit makes on our behalf. It has nothing to do with speaking in tongues except you have scriptural passages that says the Holy Spirit speak in tongues.
where does d holy spirit reside now?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 8:45pm On Aug 19, 2013
christemmbassey: where does d holy spirit reside now?

The Holy Spirit reside in every believer of the gospel of Christ.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Frank4YAHWEH(m): 9:02pm On Aug 19, 2013
Bidam: Ha! if you take that as an insult, my apologies.It wasn't intended to belittle your vast professorial knowledge and translations of the bible.But as for this 'tongues' sorry i don't agree with your opinions.

Referring to me as ignorant "wasn't intended to belittle ..."? cheesy
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 9:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

The Holy Spirit reside in every believer of the gospel of Christ.
so where does he groans and intercedes for us?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 9:13pm On Aug 19, 2013
christemmbassey: so [b]where [/b]does he groans and intercedes for us?

what do you mean by where?
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

what do you mean by where?

i said it b4 bro, d fact dat we'v nt yet experience a gift does nt mean dat it doesnt exist, u've agreed dat d spirit lives in us, n d bible says he gives us utterances, d fact dat we'v many fake pastors does nt mean there are no genuine onse, d gift of speaking in tongues was meant 4 self edification, dats y d bible talks about " not to b filled with wine, but rather with the spirit". As a preacher, i've found speaking in tongues b4 ministration very rewarding, most times, i dont need to v a prepared sermon. It primes u 4 d work.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 9:45pm On Aug 19, 2013
christemmbassey: i said it b4 bro, that d fact dat we'v nt yet experience a gift does nt mean dat it doesnt exist, u've agreed dat d spirit lives in us, n d bible says he gives us utterances, d fact dat we'v many fake pastors does nt mean there are no genuine onse, d gift of speaking in tongues was meant 4 self edification, dats y d bible talks about " not to b filled with wine, but rather with the spirit". As a preacher, i've found speaking in tongues b4 ministration very rewarding, most times, i dont need to v a prepared sermon. It primes u i d work.

The bible did not say the Holy Spirit give us utterance, it says the Spirit makes utterances within us. Pls chk properly
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 20, 2013
shdemidemi:

The bible did not say the Holy Spirit give us utterance, it says the Spirit makes utterances within us. Pls chk properly
If you really had taken time to go through this thread from the beginning you would have seen where all your queries were addressed by the OP.let me repeat them again. But you need to go study on your own with an open mind.Asking questions with a closed made up mind won't help you if you really need the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Apostle Paul said that speaking with tongues will edify or build us up spiritually. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" (1 Cor. 14:2).

Moffatt's translation of this verse says, ". . . he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit." Paul
was saying here that God has given to the church a divine, supernatural means of communication with Him.

Paul also stated in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful." Notice he said, ".. . my spirit prayeth. ..."

The Amplified Bible reads, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . . ." God is a spirit. When you pray in tongues, your spirit is in direct contact with God, who is a Spirit. When you speak in tongues, you are talking to Him by divine, supernatural means.

Paul wrote to the Church at Rome, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought. . ."
(Rom. 8:26)
. He didn't say we didn't know how to pray, because we do know how we are to pray. We are to pray to the Father in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:23,24). That is the correct way to pray. But just because I know how to pray doesn't mean that I know what to pray for as I ought. So Paul said, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself [ Himself] maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Rom. 8:26).

P. C. Nelson, a Greek scholar and the founder of Southwestern Bible Institute, said that the Greek in Romans 8:26 literally reads, ". . . the Holy Ghost maketh intercession for us in groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech."Articulate speech means your regular kind of speech. He went on to point out that the Greek stresses that this not only includes groanings escaping your lips in prayer, but also praying in other tongues. That agrees with what Paul said in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth. . . ." The Amplified Bible says, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . .."

By praying with groanings and with other tongues, the Holy Spirit is helping you to pray according to the will of God — to pray as things should be prayed for. This isn't something the Holy Ghost does apart from you. He doesn't groan or in tongues apart from you. Those groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech come from inside of you — from your
spirit — and escape your own lips.The Holy Ghost is not going to do your praying for you. He is sent to dwell in us as a
Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby (John 14:16 Amp.).

2 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 8:06am On Aug 20, 2013
I keep telling you that the condition surrounding this 1 Corinthians was so bad hence the apostle spoke to them as spiritual babes. I said we should take every verse you have mentioned one after the other, it seem the groanings of the Holy Spirit in Romans 8 is not in linearity with speaking in tongues after all.

We can move to your next defense which is 1 cor 14

1Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues(not a tongue) but even more that you prophesied; for[a] he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Always have in mind that he was speaking to this near-carnal Christians. He says pursue love/ charity and desire specially the gift of teaching, it is clear from this first verse what the crux of the message was, it was love and prophesy. He went on to say when you start speaking in an unknown language, it is more of self edification because you are neither showing the attribute of love nor teaching. Speaking all the unknown language cannot be understood by anyone, therefore it is only God that knows what you are saying. He went on to say but the man who prophesies ( prophesy means teaching here) is edifying the church thus he exhibit love and he is also greater than the guy speaking the unknown.

Notice what Paul wished they did in verse 5. 'I wish you all speak in tongues( tongues are understandable language)', it is plural in verse 5 different from singular 'tongue' (words that can't be penned to words) in 4

Hebrews 6:1

"Therefore (Getting off the baby bottle. You don't throw them away, or say they are no longer true, but you don't need them anymore) leaving (just like we leave grade school arithmetic) the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; (maturity, or that which is complete)"
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 20, 2013
[quote author=shdemidemi]I keep telling you that the condition surrounding this 1 Corinthians was so bad hence the apostle spoke to them as spiritual babes. I said we should take every verse you have mentioned one after the other, it seem the groanings of the Holy Spirit in Romans 8 is not in linearity with speaking in tongues after all.
This is a false logic in reasoning the corinthians scripture. How can you lift what Paul told them in Chapter 3 to imply that speaking in tongues is for babes in chapter 14?Look closely at what he said in chapter 14.He never said praying in tongues is a bad condition.First Corinthians 14:2: "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but UNTO GOD: for no man understandeth him; howbeit IN THE SPIRIT HE SPEAKETH MYSTERIES" (1 Cor. 14:2).
Moffatt's translation
. You even failed woefully in addressing all the scriptures i gave you in their context with different translations by side tracking them and stating your opinions. This shows your status of a one track minded individual who is not open to learning. I think i am done with you here.
We can move to your next defense which is 1 cor 14

1Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues(not a tongue) but even more that you prophesied; for[a] he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Always have in mind that he was speaking to this near-carnal Christians. He says pursue love/ charity and desire specially the gift of teaching, it is clear from this first verse what the crux of the message was, it was love and prophesy. He went on to say when you start speaking in an unknown language, it is more of self edification because you are neither showing the attribute of love nor teaching. Speaking all the unknown language cannot be understood by anyone, therefore it is only God that knows what you are saying. He went on to say but the man who prophesies ( prophesy means teaching here) is edifying the church thus he exhibit love and he is also greater than the guy speaking the unknown.

Notice what Paul wished they did in verse 5. 'I wish you all speak in tongues( tongues are understandable language)', it is plural in verse 5 different from singular 'tongue' (words that can't be penned to words) in 4

Hebrews 6:1

"Therefore (Getting off the baby bottle. You don't throw them away, or say they are no longer true, but you don't need them anymore) leaving (just like we leave grade school arithmetic) the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; (maturity, or that which is complete)"
You re just an impossible fellow aren't you? Ofcos every genuine believers knows that Love is what we should seek after.What we are talking about here is spiritual gifts which has not ended with the Apostles.And point of correction prophecy can never be teaching.the two are different gifts. There is the devotional gifts of tongues which every believer should desire and ministry gifts which the Holy Spirit Gives as He wills. Pls go through the thread once again , you will b edified. I hate to keep repeating myself,when i have addressed all your queries on this thread.Any where you seek clarity, you can quote it lemme explain.The Heb 6:1 you quoted doesn't even address the reasons given by Paul why believers should pray in tongues. because he said i thank my God i speak in tongues more than ye all. I am not of the opinion that people should speak it randomly in churches without an intepreter.This thread has already addressed that.Thanks.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 9:55am On Aug 20, 2013
Bidam: If you really had taken time to go through this thread from the beginning you would have seen where all your queries were addressed by the OP.let me repeat them again. But you need to go study on your own with an open mind.Asking questions with a closed made up mind won't help you if you really need the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Apostle Paul said that speaking with tongues will edify or build us up spiritually. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" (1 Cor. 14:2).

Moffatt's translation of this verse says, ". . . he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit." Paul
was saying here that God has given to the church a divine, supernatural means of communication with Him.

Paul also stated in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful." Notice he said, ".. . my spirit prayeth. ..."

The Amplified Bible reads, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . . ." God is a spirit. When you pray in tongues, your spirit is in direct contact with God, who is a Spirit. When you speak in tongues, you are talking to Him by divine, supernatural means.

Paul wrote to the Church at Rome, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought. . ."
(Rom. 8:26)
. He didn't say we didn't know how to pray, because we do know how we are to pray. We are to pray to the Father in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:23,24). That is the correct way to pray. But just because I know how to pray doesn't mean that I know what to pray for as I ought. So Paul said, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself [ Himself] maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Rom. 8:26).

P. C. Nelson, a Greek scholar and the founder of Southwestern Bible Institute, said that the Greek in Romans 8:26 literally reads, ". . . the Holy Ghost maketh intercession for us in groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech."Articulate speech means your regular kind of speech. He went on to point out that the Greek stresses that this not only includes groanings escaping your lips in prayer, but also praying in other tongues. That agrees with what Paul said in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth. . . ." The Amplified Bible says, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . .."

By praying with groanings and with other tongues, the Holy Spirit is helping you to pray according to the will of God — to pray as things should be prayed for. This isn't something the Holy Ghost does apart from you. He doesn't groan or in tongues apart from you. Those groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech come from inside of you — from your
spirit — and escape your own lips.The Holy Ghost is not going to do your praying for you. He is sent to dwell in us as a
Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby (John 14:16 Amp.).
d best post i'v ever read from this bro. Bidam, welldone, God bless u plenty. 1,000,000,000.LIKES
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 10:03am On Aug 20, 2013
^^^^
I won't add anything to what I have already said because It would be unrealistic to think you would change these views you have about a tongue just because I said it. Pick your bible and read with an open mind, if you still think speaking in a tongue is still relevant to you, go ahead with it.

Start from studying and checking the difference between 'tongue' and 'tongues'.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2013
Well,

I don't want to say it is important but I am damn too sure it is not necessary. Paul in 1 Cor 14:39 advised us to eager after prophesy but we should not stop speaking in tongues... I believe speaking in tongues is primarily meant for two things...
1. As a sign unto unbelievers
2. In edification...

And when you've used it to edify urself and have gotten to a certain stage, believe me, using it will tie you to a stage in the spiritual realm. I have encpountered spirits that speaking in tongues did not do anything to... Believe me...

I encounter some shadow spirits that speaking in tongues did not do anything to them... they kept coming after me... but I later overcame... What did the magic? I simply said "Satan God rebuke you!" and that was it...

Before, it was working for me... speaking in tongues works like magic but when you move further and meet some other spirits, you go fear fear itself...

Guys... this thing is Spiritual Battle oh.. no be moimoi abi beans... Not Father I want promotion at work place then speak in tongues... as Bidam said... we pray according to the will of God... not just any will, His good will, acceptable will and then His perfect will... His will is for His kingdom to reign... fight the battle for I am with you!

So, move on up! like access bank will say
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 20, 2013
christemmbassey: d best post i'v ever read from this bro. Bidam, welldone, God bless u plenty. 1,000,000,000.LIKES
Lol,if na tithes now, you go say i get malaria.Any way sha The Lord be praised.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
shdemidemi: ^^^^
I won't add anything to what I have already said because It would be unrealistic to think you would change these views you have about a tongue just because I said it. Pick your bible and read with an open mind, if you still think speaking in a tongue is still relevant to you, go ahead with it.

Start from studying and checking the difference between 'tongue' and 'tongues'.
My bro..You need to break loose from theologies of men and old traditional mindsets and be Open to the Spirit of God.So many folks have argued from your point of view concerning this issue.Notice that in writing to the Church at Corinth, Paul very definitely encouraged the Corinthian Christians to follow the practice of speaking with tongues in their own private prayer lives. And
he gives a number of reasons for it.

Let me still repeat myself again Paul said, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. . ." (1 Cor. 14:4).

The word "unknown" is italicized in the King James translation. When a word in the Bible is italicized in the King James translation, that means the word isn't in the original Scriptures. It was added by the translators to clarify the meaning.

Therefore, in one sense of the word, there isn't any such thing as an unknown tongue. For instance, the translators of the King James Version added the word "unknown" in order to convey the idea to readers that tongues are unknown to the speaker. However, tongues aren't necessarily always unknown to everyone, and they are never unknown to God.

For example, as I have spoken in tongues publicly on different occasions, I have spoken in a number of different languages that I have never learned, such as fulfulde(A Nigerian language) and Arabic. And some folks who were present have understood what I said. But if I were asked now to speak these languages, I couldn't say one word in any of them. So in that sense, the tongues were unknown to me, but they weren't unknown to everyone, and they are certainly never unknown to God.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
[quote author=ledafaze]Well,

I don't want to say it is important but I am damn too sure it is not necessary. Paul in 1 Cor 14:39 advised us to eager after prophesy but we should not stop speaking in tongues... I believe speaking in tongues is primarily meant for two things...
1. As a sign unto unbelievers
2. In edification...
Yeah, you are right bro.Many have been robbed of the blessings God intended them to have by believing that speaking in tongues isn't for everyone, or that speaking in tongues is one of the lesser gifts of the Spirit.I was in a meeting where i spoke in divers tongue and a brother stood up an interpreted it. It was God giving us a message concerning a sister in our midst who had ran from pillar to post looking for the fruit of the womb.As God would have it He used me to deliver a message in tongues to her that she will deliver the next year.And to the Glory of God that's exactly what happened.

And when you've used it to edify urself and have gotten to a certain stage, believe me, using it will tie you to a stage in the spiritual realm. I have encpountered spirits that speaking in tongues did not do anything to... Believe me...
Urmm..i was also in a deliverance session when i spoke in tongues and the lady started manifesting, until she fell on the floor.Any way i don't like talking about my experience, i love it when the word of God speaks for itself and that shows the authenticity of the WORD.In my little walk with God, i learnt that God does not operate in a single-one way pattern. Probably if you were Open to the Spirit you might have heard God whisper to you to just lay your hands on the person in question,speak the word,use the oil or just blow a gentle breeze.My point is always yield to the Spirit of God as occasions demands because greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.
I encounter some shadow spirits that speaking in tongues did not do anything to them... they kept coming after me... but
I later overcame... What did the magic? I simply said "Satan God rebuke you!" and that was it...
Aha! that's what i meant by yielding to God,it doesn't mean that the tongues was lesser.It just means that God wants you to exercise your authority in the name of Jesus so that those shadowy spirit will know and bow.
Before, it was working for me... speaking in tongues works like magic but when you move further and meet some other spirits, you go fear fear itself...
Don't get it twisted bro..speaking in tongues works always and at all times.It charges the believer. I can pray in tongues privately for 5hrs and i will feel refreshed in my spirit. I always possess a glow and renewed vigor anytime i finished praying in my closet.
Guys... this thing is Spiritual Battle oh.. no be moimoi abi beans... Not Father I want promotion at work place then speak in tongues... as Bidam said... we pray according to the will of God... not just any will, His good will, acceptable will and then His perfect will... His will is for His kingdom to reign... fight the battle for I am with you!

So, move on up! like access bank will say
I also discovered that while praying in the spirit i keep saying scriptures that i have meditated on long ago.The scripture keeps flowing out of my belly with strength,effectiveness and accuracy that i use to wonder.Believe you me i never thought about those scriptures.The Holy Spirit just brings it to my remembrance in my personal prayers,sometimes my prayers are so loud in intensity that i made up my mind to always go to a quiet and lonely place to pray in order not to disturb others.This is what i know as praying God's global purpose(His Will).

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
bros no one said theyb have ceasesd.Likewise it is not every christia that have the gift.Mind you the gift of speaking in tongues(what happened on the day of pentecost) is not the same thing as the gift of tongues(what is described in the book of corinthians)

on the day of pentecost the apostles spoke in one language(say hebrew) and the congragation heard the apostles in their own native tongues.In corinthians peple were said to speak in the language of angels but people did not understand unless it was interpretated by someone imbud with the spirit of interpretation.

this two scenarios are not the same thing, though often confused with each other.What happened on the day of pentecost is very rare and in xtian history has only been recoreded again st Vincent Ferrer in the fourteenth century.The events explained the the book of corinthians is far more popular today but instructions given in the book of corinthians for folowing whe practising it atre not often adhered to be most churches
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by brainpulse: 1:24pm On Aug 20, 2013
@ Bidam,

I must confess, you have out-rightly taught and done everything one should know on the teaching of speaking in tongues. I have picked some few and added some knowledge also. I will like to tell you that contrary to some objections and views here, I will confidently say, they come from the lack of the touch or personal/ close experience of the said topic and they will rather take it by the letters and mere personal head knowledge and interpretations.

Things of the Spirit as I will always tell those that care to listen is best explained when you have a personal or close experience that is, if you truly and keen to experience it.
Let me share first from my mum's experience.

Then I had known my mum to be a Christian for more than 20 years, she observed to detail everything the religion preaches, but several years ago we were under a ministration and the topic was on the Holy spirit and she was so surprised that truly she was not a born again Christian(though she works fervently in the church). She gave her life with all soberness and she signified after a while for the Holy spirit baptism. She didn't received it that day despite her zeal and hunger.

We were a the family night devotion one day before things changed. Instantly we didn't known what came in on her, she broke down in tears and began to pray in an unknown tongues. The atmosphere was filled instantly and revelations that was hidden and unknown to the family for several years came out from her and we prayed to the following day although some of us fell asleep when she continued. She received a boldness that she had never experienced before even going out to pray for the sick in the neighborhood and God really answering her prayers. Up till this moment she is known as the praying woman in the family and in the neighborhood. That was my close encounter with the holy spirit baptism and speaking in tongues.

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
Bidam:
Yeah, you are right bro.Many have been robbed of the blessings God intended them to have by believing that speaking in tongues isn't for everyone, or that speaking in tongues is one of the lesser gifts of the Spirit.I was in a meeting where i spoke in divers tongue and a brother stood up an interpreted it. It was God giving us a message concerning a sister in our midst who had ran from pillar to post looking for the fruit of the womb.As God would have it He used me to deliver a message in tongues to her that she will deliver the next year.And to the Glory of God that's exactly what happened.

Urmm..i was also in a deliverance session when i spoke in tongues and the lady started manifesting, until she fell on the floor.Any way i don't like talking about my experience, i love it when the word of God speaks for itself and that shows the authenticity of the WORD.In my little walk with God, i learnt that God does not operate in a single-one way pattern. Probably if you were Open to the Spirit you might have heard God whisper to you to just lay your hands on the person in question,speak the word,use the oil or just blow a gentle breeze.My point is always yield to the Spirit of God as occasions demands because greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.

Aha! that's what i meant by yielding to God,it doesn't mean that the tongues was lesser.It just means that God wants you to exercise your authority in the name of Jesus so that those shadowy spirit will know and bow.

Don't get it twisted bro..speaking in tongues works always and at all times.It charges the believer. I can pray in tongues privately for 5hrs and i will feel refreshed in my spirit. I always possess a glow and renewed vigor anytime i finished praying in my closet.

I also discovered that while praying in the spirit i keep saying scriptures that i have meditated on long ago.The scripture keeps flowing out of my belly with strength,effectiveness and accuracy that i use to wonder.Believe you me i never thought about those scriptures.The Holy Spirit just brings it to my remembrance in my personal prayers,sometimes my prayers are so loud in intensity that i made up my mind to always go to a quiet and lonely place to pray in order not to disturb others.This is what i know as praying God's global purpose(His Will).

Nicely written... and I understand and appreciate what you are trying to say when you talked about patterns of prayer because Paul also said we should pray all kinds in Eph 6:18 but there is still emphasis on the kind of pattern u use with respect to the level of what you are dealing with.

Fine, he wanted me to know the Authority in His name, which I got to know clearly then but... what I also got to understand was that "level has changed..." Remember what Jesus also told his disciples? He said this kind will not go except by fasting... even though they were casting them out under His authority...

Its nice meeting you here Bidam... I first thought you are one of those Atheist ni... sorry tho... cheesy

brainpulse:
@ Bidam,

I must confess, you have out-rightly taught and done everything one should know on the teaching of speaking in tongues. I have picked some few and added some knowledge also. I will like to tell you that contrary to some objections and views here, I will confidently say, they come from the lack of the touch or personal/ close experience of the said topic and they will rather take it by the letters and mere personal head knowledge and interpretations.

Things of the Spirit as I will always tell those that care to listen is best explained when you have a personal or close experience that is, if you truly and keen to experience it.

Then I had known my mum to be a Christian for more than 20 years, she observed to detail everything the religion preaches, but several years ago we were under a ministration and the topic was on the Holy spirit and she was so surprised that truly she was not a born again Christian(though she works fervently in the church). She gave her life with all soberness and she signified after a while for the Holy spirit baptism. She didn't received it that day despite her zeal and hunger.

We were a the family night devotion one day before things changed. Instantly we didn't known what came in on her, she broke down in tears and began to pray in an unknown tongues. The atmosphere was filled instantly and revelations that was hidden and unknown to the family for several years came out from her and we prayed to the following day although some of us fell asleep when she continued. She received a boldness that she had never experienced before even going out to pray for the sick in the neighborhood and God really answering her prayers. Up till this moment she is known as the praying woman in the family and in the neighborhood. That was my close encounter with the holy spirit baptism and speaking in tongues.

And that is a Testimony. I can recall the story of Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola I read in one of my books that Babalola started prayer with the family to go to bed... while standing... he continued the prayer and everyone went to bed. they woke up the next day, they found him still praying... at night... on the Monday night, they follow suit saying Amen amen amen till they slept off... it continued like that till the third night when Babalola finally said In Jesus Name we pray and he said Amen himself... seeing them asleep... then he got to know that he has been praying for three days non-stop... That is the spirit.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
brainpulse: @ Bidam,

Bro..thanks we give God the glory, i am really blessed by the testimony you shared concerning your mum, it reminds of Kathryn Kulman's testimony on the move of the Holy Spirit.I feel sad when people close the door of their heart and say this things are not real and that they are just fables and myth.The testimony you just shared has built up my Faith to trust God and His word the more and to know that God does not respect persons but respects His Word. Any time i minister to people i don't waste time filling them up with the Holy Spirit,Every single person I laid hands on like Paul laid hands on John's disciples in Acts has been filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues(Na the grace wey God give me my brother).Stay blessed sir!
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
ledafaze:

Nicely written... and I understand and appreciate what you are trying to say when you talked about patterns of prayer because Paul also said we should pray all kinds in Eph 6:18 but there is still emphasis on the kind of pattern u use with respect to the level of what you are dealing with.

Fine, he wanted me to know the Authority in His name, which I got to know clearly then but... what I also got to understand was that "level has changed..." Remember what Jesus also told his disciples? He said this kind will not go except by fasting... even though they were casting them out under His authority...

Its nice meeting you here Bidam... I first thought you are one of those Atheist ni... sorry tho... cheesy
And that is a Testimony. I can recall the story of Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola I read in one of my books that Babalola started prayer with the family to go to bed... while standing... he continued the prayer and everyone went to bed. they woke up the next day, they found him still praying... at night... on the Monday night, they follow suit saying Amen amen amen till they slept off... it continued like that till the third night when Babalola finally said In Jesus Name we pray and he said Amen himself... seeing them asleep... then he got to know that he has been praying for three days non-stop... That is the spirit.
This guy you funny o..What gave you the impression that i am an atheist grin
Anyway i am not an atheist, I am believer who loves the Lord..Any way back to what you said.Every believer has authority,the problem with most of us is the lack of Faith to exercise that authority in Christ. Remember the devil thrives when he sees fear that was why the believers prayed for the Spirit of boldness in Acts 4.Fasting is good no doubt but when you starve your doubts and feed your faith with the word of God is what i call fasting.I pray for the day when i will enter the realm of unceasing prayers for days like the Babalola. My desire is to do the will of the Master.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by christemmbassey(m): 5:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
Bidam: Lol,if na tithes now, you go say i get malaria.Any way sha The Lord be praised.
my bros, eh eh eh. Well no mind me o, but seriously, tithe is one of d foothold of satan in d church today, appart from d truth dat tithe was effectively abolished by d priesthood of Jesus, u may b sincere, but i tell u, many are commiting more attrocities bc of tithe, they use tithe to clean their conscience, they feel as long as God don collect im share i'm free from dat sinful act dat i got d money from, eg, d army man who stole 150ml n gave sm of it to winners chapel. Remove TITHE, me n u na real bros, as for malaria, its nt ur portion n Jesus name. Bless u.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by nlMediator: 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
christemmbassey: my bros, eh eh eh. Well no mind me o, but seriously, tithe is one of d foothold of satan in d church today, appart from d truth dat tithe was effectively abolished by d priesthood of Jesus, u may b sincere, but i tell u, many are commiting more attrocities bc of tithe, they use tithe to clean their conscience, they feel as long as God don collect im share i'm free from dat sinful act dat i got d money from, eg, d army man who stole 150ml n gave sm of it to winners chapel. Remove TITHE, me n u na real bros, as for malaria, its nt ur portion n Jesus name. Bless u.

My brother, you may be against tithe for good reason, but the ones you have above do not qualify. If you remove tithes, people would still seek to cleanse their sins through offerings. Catholics do not pay tithes. But check out the same practice you denounce and you'll find it in the Catholic Church, including people building churches or parsonages with questionable money. And the Army man you mentioned did not pay any tithes. He took 130 million or 150 million and gave about 11 million Naira. That's not a tithe!

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Frank4YAHWEH(m): 7:50am On Aug 25, 2013
Speaking in Tongues is Only Mentioned at the Carnal Church of Corinth
Speaking in tongues is of the Devil!

By David J. Stewart

Speaking-in-Tongues is a demonic form of witchcraft allowed and practiced in many churches today; such as Pentecostal, Assemblies of God, Victory Chapel, The 700 Club, TBN, Benny Hinn, Charismatic, Church of Christ (Lax Lucado) and many Ecumenical Churches that sinfully encourage inter-denominational fellowship at the expense of Biblical doctrine and Biblical moral standards.

One of the clearest evidences from the Bible that speaking-in-tongues is not for today is the fact that the Apostle Paul ONLY mentioned speaking-in-tongues to the church at Corinth. If, as Pentecostals claim, Paul was instructing the church on how to speak in tongues, then why only the church at Corinth? Clearly, Paul was rebuking them for the carnal and worldly heresy of speaking-in-tongues. Notice carefully in 1st Corinthians 3:1 that Paul even refers to the believers at Corinth as being “carnal” and “babes in Christ.” The heresy of tongues had crept into the church at Corinth and God put it in Paul's heart to expose this wicked practice.

In all of Paul's 14 writings in the New Testament, it was only to the church of Corinth that Paul mentions the subject of speaking-in-tongues. This speaks volumes.

If speaking-in-tongues were a sign of being saved or filled with the Spirit, then certainly the Apostle Paul and the other Apostles would have mentioned tongues in every epistle; but they do not. In 1st Corinthians, Paul is really rebuking the church for being selfish as carnal Christians, for only edifying themselves instead of doing something to edify the church.

In John 14:16 Jesus promised us the “Comforter,” but there is no mention of speaking-in-tongues. None! The apostate Churches of Christ are notorious for demonic speaking-in-tongues, which is actually dealing in familiar spirits of devils. Anyone who claims to have spoken in jibber-jabber tongues is admitting that thy are carnal, likely not saved, and woefully ignorant of the Word of God.

Of all the churches that Paul wrote to in the New Testament, it was ONLY the church at Corinth whom he mentions as having had the experience of speaking-in-tongues. That plainly teaches us that speaking-in-tongues is NOT a sign of salvation or being filled with the Spirit. Here are 20 differences between what happened in Acts 2 (legitimate tongues) verses the carnal demonic experience of tongues in 1st Corinthian: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Doctrines/Speaking%20in%20Tongues/speaking_in_tongues.htm

The speaking-in-tongues movement is supposedly spiritual and Scriptural; but Catholic Pentecostals have claimed that speaking-in-tongues has deepened their devotion to Mary...

Excerpt From: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Doctrines/Speaking%20in%20Tongues/only_corinth.htm

Speaking In Tongues (Languages)
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/Franklin4YAHWEH/Tongues.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! / The Sad Story Of How A Youth Pastor Fell Into Fornication And How The Church … / Muslims Storm Egyptian Church, Attack Worshippers, Call For It To Be Demolished

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.