Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,182 members, 7,903,902 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 12:25 AM

Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two (2926 Views)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Igbo Ethnic Group Is Not A Handwork Of The Colonists!!!. It Exist Before Them! / The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Afam4eva(m): 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
Rocktation: Infact, scratch that. I managed to confuse myself too.
#multitasking.

Either way, I'm a winner. smiley I'm Ukwani/Isoko with an Umuahia mother. So all join! smiley
Ohh, so your mother is even from the SE.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Rocktation(f): 9:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
Yes..
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Afam4eva(m): 9:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
That's good.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2012
Now, people like you will be more easier convincing that Ishilove because you've seen both sides and you're able to make an informed and rational judgement. I knew someone whose father was from Ukwuani and mother from Owerri and she doesn't deny being Igbo. But for some people that have not really being in contact with Igbos, they'll keep denying it.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Rocktation(f): 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Andre Uweh:

How else could it would have been formed if not the same way Hausa and Yoruba was formed. Or the say way Germans and Italians formed their nations in the late 17th century. Groups who speak similar dialects or languages.
Within those groups especially Yoruba and Hausa, one can be Ekiti and at the same time Yoruba, one can also be Katsina and at the same time Hausa. So why should it be a problem for one to be Ukwuani and Igbo at the same time. Where is this insanity from?.

Hmmn...
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Rocktation(f): 9:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva: Now, people like you will be more easier convincing that Ishilove because you've seen both sides and you're able to make an informed and rational judgement. I knew someone whose father was from Ukwuani and mother from Owerri and she doesn't deny being Igbo. But for some people that have not really being in contact with Igbos, they'll keep denying it.

Infact, I really don't know why people stress themselves over such matters. So long I know who I am and right now, I really don't feel bothered about any of this.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by ChinenyeN(m): 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
Andre Uweh: Please explain to readers here how Igbo socio-political consciousness is virtually inexistent.

We are all familiar with "Igbo amaghi eze", and we know exactly what it means. Igbo lacks polity. The Igbo consciousness does not include any centralized institutions of any kind nor a shared sense of state. Simply put, Igbo simply does not exemplify the qualities of a nation. Its socio-political consciousness is virtually null.

Igbo can only really be called an ethnic group of sorts, because its socio-cultural awareness is established.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by ChinenyeN(m): 9:13pm On Dec 27, 2012
Rocktation: Or how was the igbo group even formed? Let me learn something today.
The Igbo group was formed by European classification, colonialism and the shared Biafra experience.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Ivynwa(f): 9:18pm On Dec 27, 2012
Afam na wao for you and Ishilove, M ji nwayo na agwa the lady na o buro na thread ebe ana akpa ife tribalism ka o ga ako history etu ndi be ha si ju ndi Igbo. You wey suppose understand dey quote o ya na ajukwu ajuju mere o ka na aga n'iru na ife o na ekwu. Abeg jiri nu nwayo ga fichapu ihe ahu edesiri na thread ahu gbasara ya. Ebe ahu abughi ebe aga ano kpa udiri nkata ahu. Unu achoghi ifichapuya unu ahapu ya. O daghi ezigbo uda na nti na that thread.

Oburu na nwa ada ahu anaghi anu Igbo, kowara ya ihem kwuru ka o mara ka o ga esi fichapu ihe ahu o dere ebe ahu.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by AndreUweh(m): 9:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
ChinenyeN:

We are all familiar with "Igbo amaghi eze", and we know exactly what it means. Igbo lacks polity. The Igbo consciousness does not include any centralized institutions of any kind nor a shared sense of state. Simply put, Igbo simply does not exemplify the qualities of a nation. Its socio-political consciousness is virtually null.

Igbo can only really be called an ethnic group of sorts, because its socio-cultural awareness is established.
Objection.
To the best of my knowledge, with the formation of the Igbo Town Union in the 1930s, there emerged Igbo socio-political consiousness. This association, though a cultural setup, arosed the political consciousness of Ndigbo.
Then the NCNC expanded it in the 1940's. It is wrong to deny this fact. There might not have been Igbo socio-political consciousness before the 1930's but to say Igbo socio-political consciousness is non existent is a huge lie.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by ChinenyeN(m): 12:36am On Dec 28, 2012
Don't misquote me. Do not misunderstand me. I never said that an Igbo socio-political consciousness does not exist. In fact, I believe that such a consciousness does exist, but certainly not to the extent of calling Igbo a "nation".
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by pazienza(m): 8:06am On Dec 28, 2012
afam4eva: Another misconception that some Ukwuani people make in thinking that they're different from south east Igbos is that they think we all speak the same dialect. What you hear Igbos speaking is central Igbo and is different from what Ngwa, Nkanu, Onitsha, Arochukwu speak. So, just like Ukwuani, we all have our dialects that may not be understood by Igbo from other places.
You are right,most of these "i am not igbo,my ancestors came from bini" people,have not been to southeast,so they assume that everybody in the southeast is the same,with same dialect,culture,and everyother thing.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by pazienza(m): 8:08am On Dec 28, 2012
PointB: I believe similar cultural practices, names and language makes one part of an ethnic group, while ideologies may serve as a delimiter when the issue of nationhood is broached. Put another way Ika, Ikwerre, etc may culturally and linguistically be of Igbo ethnic group, but ideologically different.

Yea,this is the best answer so far.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Abagworo(m): 8:21am On Dec 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Objection.
To the best of my knowledge, with the formation of the Igbo Town Union in the 1930s, there emerged Igbo socio-political consiousness. This association, though a cultural setup, arosed the political consciousness of Ndigbo.
Then the NCNC expanded it in the 1940's. It is wrong to deny this fact. There might not have been Igbo socio-political consciousness before the 1930's but to say Igbo socio-political consciousness is non existent is a huge lie.

The truth is that many Igbo towns and groups still refused to be part of the all inclusive Igbo fold until around late 1950s
The Igbo Union, though formed in 1934, was formally inaugurated in 1936 following a reception organised for the first Igbo university graduates – S. E. Onwu, Akanu Ibiam, and Nnamdi Azikiwe. The union became known as the Igbo Federal Union (IFU) in 1944.

However, the IFU did not last because many of the exclusive Igbo community or town associations refused to affiliate to it. By 1948, it metamorphosed into the Igbo State Union owing to the felt need to involve the rural folks in the activities of the union and to evolve an all-embracing name for the organisation. http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/commentary/48629-town-unions-and-community-development-the-isu-example

Igbo had almost achieved an unmarched level of socio-political unity until Nzeogwu et al struck and shattered everything. Being an Igbo became something sacrilegeous amongst non-Igbos. Discovery of oil in Igboland, the war and its politics almost destroyed Igbo identity.

I however believe that the future is bright for Igbos if only we can bury our pride. Most large ethnic groups are amalgamation of previously independent tribes and Igbo's case is no different.
Re: Igbo Ethnic Group And Nation: The Confusion Between The Two by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
Abagworo:

The truth is that many Igbo towns and groups still refused to be part of the all inclusive Igbo fold until around late 1950s
Right

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Please Please Translate This Yoruba For Me !!!! / The Meaning Of Eriwo Ya / Slavery In Calabar: A Psychic Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.