Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,370 members, 7,910,865 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:42 PM

Questions For Anony About Souls - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Anony About Souls (19829 Views)

Questions For Daddy G. O, Pastor Kumuyi & Pastor Lazarus Muoka / Do Human Clones Have Souls? / What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Affiliated(m): 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2012
Get a room people
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
hisblud: @anony i admire the way you ignored posts of advo66. Thats maturity and refused to be derailed. I will be sending you an attachment via my gmail. Expect it you will like it.

Christian soldiers on the run claiming maturity.

smiley
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Just to get something clear before we move on to the next question:

You are accepting that there is an aspect of you that is non-physical however it is controlled by chemical reactions in a physical brain.

Is the above a fair representation of what you are saying?

Part of me?. . .My brain is responsible for my thoughts and without my brain I can not think or reason. . .Are my thoughts my soul?. . .Because my thoughts are the only a result of chemical reactions in the brain. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666: The thread is about one of anony's numerous stuppid beliefs which mould his character of self righteousness.
What a way to see it. SMH. According to you, it takes a righteous man to know about the soul. Dude you are indeed smart.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by advocate666: 9:52pm On Dec 29, 2012
Reyginus: What a way to see it. SMH. According to you, it takes a righteous man to know about the soul. Dude you are indeed smart.

Sorry, I never said that.
Are you thick?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 9:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
Reyginus: What a way to see it. SMH. According to you, it takes a righteous man to know about the soul. Dude you are indeed smart.

Souls?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 29, 2012
mazaje:

What's wrong with it?. . .What controls our thoughts beside our brains?. . .
The question he asked is completely different from your response. We know the brain is behind the moulding of thoughts and determines how everything is controlled. What he wants to know is the spatial measurement of this thoughts. You didn't answer that.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

Christian soldiers on the run claiming maturity.

smiley
Hello Lb.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

Sorry, I never said that.
Are you thick?
Lolol. This is what happens when you don't understand the implication of what you are typing. Do you really?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
wiegraf:

Souls?
Advocate will tell you more.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by advocate666: 10:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
Reyginus: Lolol. This is what happens when you don't understand the implication of what you are typing. Do you really?

Do you?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

Do you?
Troll harder.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
Reyginus: The question he asked is completely different from your response. We know the brain is behind the moulding of thoughts and determines how everything is controlled. What he wants to know is the spatial measurement of this thoughts. You didn't answer that.

I didn't really get his question and acknowledged that. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
mazaje:

I didn't really get his question and acknowledged that. . .
Okay. Mr Anony rephrase it for us please.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 30, 2012
advocate666:

See this one. Another run away soldier of christ. It doesn't matter whether he ignores or not, his nyash is openning wider and wider. tongue
thanks for the strawman link. Strawman grin but on a serious note, mazaje did not find his style repulsive. Lets let em finish discussing abi, we were not directly asked but can contribute without been offensive ko smiley. There are questions to me are irrelevant thus i ignore when i think so, aint that my right grin grin
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 5:58am On Dec 30, 2012
mazaje:

Part of me?. . .My brain is responsible for my thoughts and without my brain I can not think or reason. . .Are my thoughts my soul?. . .Because my thoughts are the only a result of chemical reactions in the brain. . .
There is a reason I want us to be clear on this before moving on to the next question you asked me, I don't want to drag question 2 for too long. I just want us to be very clear on what you are saying.

On the one hand you say that you don't have a non-physical aspect to you, yet you talk of your brain as a property of yourself which in turn is a property of your brain's activities.
When you use the phrase "my brain", you lead me to think that there is a "you" that possesses a brain. It becomes confusing when the "you" that possesses a brain is also created by the same brain. This is a logical error because you cannot in any way be said to own/control something that is creating you. It cannot be "your brain" and "your thoughts" if at the same time the same brain creates the "you" in the first place.

Do you use your brain to think or is your brain creating both you and your thoughts (if we can still call them yours) by means of random chemical reactions. Are you thinking with your brain or is your brain 'thinking' you?
Essentially what I am trying to get at is what it means for you to think. Are you responsible for your thoughts or is it just chemical reactions upon chemical reactions i.e. in your case is it really a person thinking? is it a person causing the chemical reactions or the person itself is a result of chemical reactions and these chemical reactions in turn causes other chemical reactions?

Since you maintain that there is no non-physical aspect of you, then you must hold that all you really are is a bunch of chemical reactions happening in one small grey object somewhere (we won't even look at how these chemical reactions manage to maintain coherent meaning for now)

The little essay above was just to show you the difficulties I am having with what you are saying. As it is now, you can either say:

1. That there is a non-physical "you" which possesses a brain that you use for thinking (by saying this, you would have agreed with me as regards question 1) or
2. That you and your thoughts are merely a bunch of chemical reactions. by saying this, you will still have to answer my question 2. I'll rephrase it below:

Now if all you are is a bunch of random chemical reactions, my question would still stand but will now be rephrased thus: What is the chemical reaction that is the thought of the word "mazaje"? Please express the thought as a chemical equation such that if the experiment is carried out in a lab, we will all result in the "mazaje" thought.
Also tell us exactly how you came by your answer. Mind you, chemical reactions are a physical phenomenon and usually result in physical products - I have never seen a chemical reaction produce a non-physical thing - so you must still produce a "mazaje" thought that can be spatially measured and you must tell us the material it is made of or you tell us exactly how your physically measurable chemical reaction produced something that cannot be physically measured.

p/s: I'll give you a lifeline here: In case you don't know exactly what the chemical equation of the thought of the word "mazaje" is, please feel free to give us the chemical equation of any other thought you know.
Or if chemistry is not your forte and you don't know any specific chemical equations, just tell us here that you don't know the specifics but you are sure that you are a bunch of chemical equations. I'll accept it as a profession of faith from you and then we can move on to question 3

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 6:01am On Dec 30, 2012
wiegraf:

Souls?
Oga weigraf, happy xmas and merry new year, abi hw dem dey tok am?
Hw's the terrain?

All this soul matter sef, there seems to be a lot of interest in it on this board these days...

*back to my palmy, sidelines things*
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 6:05am On Dec 30, 2012
Reyginus: Okay. Mr Anony rephrase it for us please.
Now rephrased and painstakingly explained
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 6:16am On Dec 30, 2012
hisblud: @anony i admire the way you ignored posts of advo66. Thats maturity and refused to be derailed. I will be sending you an attachment via my gmail. Expect it you will like it.
Ok bro, I'll expect it. As for advocate666, ignore him. Engaging him is usually a waste of time, he hardly ever makes logical sense but he doesn't know it and when you respond to him, it makes him think that what he has said was worth responding to in the first place.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 6:42am On Dec 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Ok bro, I'll expect it. As for advocate666, ignore him. Engaging him is usually a waste of time, he hardly ever makes logical sense but he doesn't know it and when you respond to him, it makes him think that what he has said was worth responding to in the first place.

Again?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 6:55am On Dec 30, 2012
musKeeto:
Oga weigraf, happy xmas and merry new year, abi hw dem dey tok am?
Hw's the terrain?

All this soul matter sef, there seems to be a lot of interest in it on this board these days...

*back to my palmy, sidelines things*

Dem get palmy for india? Make u enjoy am oh!

Oh boy, people make liquor from rice and cashews. It's ridiculous. No how wey man no go high. Malo brah's will tell you alcohol is harram but solution, suco dye, syrup, kwaya, and some even a little fuel, all are good...

How your family na? In my case, na only me dey 9ja until recently. And no, they don't come to visit heathens. Joking, they'd sweat to find me. I remember my bdays when people post happi bday on facebook and I usually have to calculate my age if asked, just to verify. They've just given up on me.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 30, 2012
Remember my short break some weeks bk? I was hauling my soul to Naija. Been stuck in my villa for abt a wk nw...

I'll pm u as soon as possible. Need some non-religious advice, regarding info tech. Your Japanese Nippon prediction was right though. Never heard from them. Or maybe, it was just me thinking of running back to Naija.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 8:13am On Dec 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
There is a reason I want us to be clear on this before moving on to the next question you asked me, I don't want to drag question 2 for too long. I just want us to be very clear on what you are saying.

On the one hand you say that you don't have a non-physical aspect to you, yet you talk of your brain as a property of yourself which in turn is a property of your brain's activities.
When you use the phrase "my brain", you lead me to think that there is a "you" that possesses a brain. It becomes confusing when the "you" that possesses a brain is also created by the same brain. This is a logical error because you cannot in any way be said to own/control something that is creating you. It cannot be "your brain" and "your thoughts" if at the same time the same brain creates the "you" in the first place.

I made a simple statement and the statement is that all my thoughts are reasoning are a function of the brain, without my brain I can not think or reason. Who said I am created by my brain? I simply said my thoughts and reasoning all are controlled by my brain. . .Again I ask are my thoughts my soul?. . .Is my non physical parts that is my thoughts and reasoning my my soul? Are you saying that my thoughts are soul?. . .Is just want a simple yes or a simple no. . .

Do you use your brain to think or is your brain creating both you and your thoughts (if we can still call them yours) by means of random chemical reactions. Are you thinking with your brain or is your brain 'thinking' you?
Essentially what I am trying to get at is what it means for you to think. Are you responsible for your thoughts or is it just chemical reactions upon chemical reactions i.e. in your case is it really a person thinking? is it a person causing the chemical reactions or the person itself is a result of chemical reactions and these chemical reactions in turn causes other chemical reactions?

I am responsible for my thoughts, but my thoughts are just chemical reactions in my brain and it has been empirically shown that thoughts are a mixture of chemical reactions in the brain, do you dispute that fact that thoughts are chemical reactions in the brain?. . .

Since you maintain that there is no non-physical aspect of you, then you must hold that all you really are is a bunch of chemical reactions happening in one small grey object somewhere (we won't even look at how these chemical reactions manage to maintain coherent meaning for now)

Do you dispute the fact that thoughts are chemical reactions in the brain?. . .

The little essay above was just to show you the difficulties I am having with what you are saying. As it is now, you can either say:

1. That there is a non-physical "you" which possesses a brain that you use for thinking (by saying this, you would have agreed with me as regards question 1) or
2. That you and your thoughts are merely a bunch of chemical reactions. by saying this, you will still have to answer my question 2. I'll rephrase it below:

What do you mean by that there is a non physical me?. . .What is the non physical me. . .There is no non physical me, again are my thoughts my soul?. . .My thoughts are chemical reactions that happen in the brain. . . .The chemical reactions within the brain are complex too, and very numerous. They also act within a complex and organized structure.

Now if all you are is a bunch of random chemical reactions, my question would still stand but will now be rephrased thus: What is the chemical reaction that is the thought of the word "mazaje"? Please express the thought as a chemical equation such that if the experiment is carried out in a lab, we will all result in the "mazaje" thought.

If all I am is a random? What are you saying? Again the chemical reactions within the brain are complex too, and very numerous. They also act within a complex and organised structure. Are my thoughts me are my thoughts my soul? Is that what you are saying? Whats the difference between my thoughts and my soul?. . .I am talking about my thoughts and you seem to equate my thoughts to "me". You are just begging the question. . .My thoughts are chemical reactions in my brain. . . Its not a chemical reaction that has an equation per say because it is not all chemical reactions that can be shown as an equation and you know that. . .My brain is composed of about 100 billion nerve cells (neurons) interconnected by trillions of connections, called synapses. On average, each connection transmits about one signal per second. Some specialized connections send up to 1,000 signals per second. which produces thought.
When I read the words mazaje, for example, the photons associated with the patterns of the letters hit my retina, and their energy triggers an electrical signal in the light-detecting cells there. That electrical signal propagates like a wave along the long threads called axons that are part of the connections between neurons. When the signal reaches the end of an axon, it causes the release of chemical neurotransmitters into the synapse, a chemical junction between the axon tip and target neurons. A target neuron responds with its own electrical signal, which, in turn, spreads to other neurons. Within a few hundred milliseconds, the signal has spread to billions of neurons in several dozen interconnected areas of my brain and I have perceived the words mazaje. That's a summary of how it functions, but its more complicated than that. The fact that I am then able to convert the perception of these shapes into symbols, language, and meaning is a whole other story and a good indication of the complexity of neuroscience.

Also tell us exactly how you came by your answer. Mind you, chemical reactions are a physical phenomenon and usually result in physical products - I have never seen a chemical reaction produce a non-physical thing - so you must still produce a "mazaje" thought that can be spatially measured and you must tell us the material it is made of or you tell us exactly how your physically measurable chemical reaction produced something that cannot be physically measured.

Chemical reactions result in non physical reactions as we have in the brain. . .The chemical reactions in the brain result in thoughts and reasoning. . .Thoughts are a function of neural circuitry in particular areas on the brain. Thoughts are not physical as such can not be measured, so I really do not know what you are talking about. . . .

p/s: I'll give you a lifeline here: In case you don't know exactly what the chemical equation of the thought of the word "mazaje" is, please feel free to give us the chemical equation of any other thought you know.
Or if chemistry is not your forte and you don't know any specific chemical equations, just tell us here that you don't know the specifics but you are sure that you are a bunch of chemical equations. I'll accept it as a profession of faith from you and then we can move on to question 3

What exactly do you mean by me?. . .Are my thoughts me?. . .Are my thoughts my soul?. . .Whats the difference between my thoughts and my soul. . .Pls answer. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 30, 2012
mazaje:
Chemical reactions result in non physical reactions as we have in the brain. . .The chemical reactions in the brain result in thoughts and reasoning. . .Thoughts are a function of neural circuitry in particular areas on the brain. Thoughts are not physical as such can not be measured, so I really do not know what you are talking about. . . .

You are being too simplistic here. Of course the neural circuitry affects brain function but they are not solely responsible for thoughts and reasoning. If that was the case then what accounts for the vast difference in thought patterns? Can we merely create thoughts in the lab and inject ourselves with it?

Do chemicals in the brain modulate thought? Yes... Are they the sole determinants for thought and reasoning? No.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 30, 2012
@anony check your mail i have sent it.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 9:40am On Dec 30, 2012
davidylan:

You are being too simplistic here. Of course the neural circuitry affects brain function but they are not solely responsible for thoughts and reasoning. If that was the case then what accounts for the vast difference in thought patterns? Can we merely create thoughts in the lab and inject ourselves with it?

Do chemicals in the brain modulate thought? Yes... Are they the sole determinants for thought and reasoning? No.

Sure, they are not the soul determinants of thought and reasoning. . .What am saying is that all our thoughts and reasoning are as a result of chemical reactions in our brains. . .Different neurotransmitters make us feel differently, hence the difference in thought patterns. . .The diet and nutritional state can also have a profound effect on the brain's chemistry. . .As you know what we eat (and how well it is digested and absorbed) can have a significant effect upon our brain chemistry. What we eat for dinner can influence our sleeping, our dreaming, and how we feel upon waking. The bottom line is our thoughts are chemical very complex activities that take place in our brains. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 9:41am On Dec 30, 2012
I made a simple statement and the statement is that all my thoughts are reasoning are a function of the brain, without my brain I can not think or reason. Who said I am created by my brain? I simply said my thoughts and reasoning all are controlled by my brain. . .Again I ask are my thoughts my soul?. . .Is my non physical parts that is my thoughts and reasoning my my soul? Are you saying that my thoughts are soul?. . .Is just want a simple yes or a simple no. . .
ok i dont want to really get involved here but i want to state that not all thoughts originate from the brain cells alone but from every cell of the body... in fact thoughts do not originate from the brain but from the mind...the mind is energy,it is thoughts. and thoughts is an energy not an object..

The brain is an object... It is a physical, biochemical mechanism..the largest, most sophisticated, but not the only mechanism in the human body, with which the body translates, or converts, the energy which is our thought into physical impulses..it is a transformer so to speak but so is the whole body... we have little "tranformers" in every cell.. evry cell has a mind of its own..for instance biochemists have often remarked at how individual cells like blood cells, for instance seem to have their own intelligence. the truth is they do. all cells do

thoughts seems to originate from the brain becuase it has the biggest conglomerate of cells and thus has alot of activity going on there....
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Stalwert: 9:49am On Dec 30, 2012
Oh atheist are being battered in this thread: current scores as they stand;
Coalition of the willing (christians) 9. The Atheists 3.

Will the atheist do a last minute rally and launch a counter attack?

Will the christians step on the banana peel and fall off the route of victory?

Will the atheists sack Mazaje who has so far shown lack luster performance and undeniable fear in responding to simple questions?

Will the atheists aid Mazaje instead of mopping?

Will the world end in 2012?

Will Obama avoid the fiscal cliff and dance gangnam style one last time?

Will davidylan play a more direct role rather than fighting from the margins?

Please stay tuned for an explosive encounter between COW and The Atheists!
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 9:51am On Dec 30, 2012
why is everything gotta be a competition?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2012
greatgenius: ok i dont want to really get involved here but i want to state that not all thoughts originate from the brain cells alone but from every cell of the body... in fact thoughts do not originate from the brain but from the mind...the mind is energy,it is thoughts. and thoughts is an energy not an object..

The brain is an object... It is a physical, biochemical mechanism..the largest, most sophisticated, but not the only mechanism in the human body, with which the body translates, or converts, the energy which is our thought into physical impulses..it is a transformer so to speak but so is the whole body... we have little "tranformers" in every cell.. evry cell has a mind of its own..for instance biochemists have often remarked at how individual cells like blood cells, for instance
seem to have their own intelligence. the truth is they do.

thoughts seems to originate from the brain becuase it has the biggest conglomerate of cells and thus has alot of activity going on there....

False, brain science has shown that the mind does not exist separate from the brain. The brain is the mind because the brain determines thoughts, feelings, and actions. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 9:56am On Dec 30, 2012
mazaje:

False, brain science has shown that the mind not exist separate from the brain. The brain is the mind because the brain determines thoughts, feelings, and actions. . .
wrong the mind is not the brain. the mind exists in every cell of your body.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:03am On Dec 30, 2012
greatgenius: wrong the mind is not the brain. the mind exists in every cell of your body.

I believe you know what I am talking about. . .Do you believe in the soul?. . .Is the mind the soul?. . .Can we reason for example without our brains?. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. / 7 Things Our Nigerian Pastors Can Learn From Pope Francis / Cancer: How God Healed My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.