Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,353 members, 7,940,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:57 AM

Igbo Presidency: Why Not? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Presidency: Why Not? (1827 Views)

Senate Presidency: Why I Boycotted Apc Primary Election – Bukola Saraki / Igbo Presidency Not Feasible In 2015 – Junaid / Iwuanyanwu Dismisses Igbo Presidency In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
It seems before opening this thread, you've already made up your mind on what you want to hear. I know you want to hear "Igbos are not united". Oya, knock yourself out.

That's not what I think. I believe they are
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by naptu2: 10:52am On Dec 25, 2012
To the question, "why not?", my answer is: I believe that there is no reason why an igbo man should not be president and I believe it will happen sooner or later.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 12:12pm On Dec 25, 2012
ilugunboy:

Merry Xmas bro!

Pls I need to fix things in my house...guests will start showing up soon.

Enjoy the thread.
correct! Merry xmas....broda!

Its bn long i saw u....!
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: correct! Merry xmas....broda!

Its bn long i saw u....!

I dey kampe ...lolzzz. Am always around here ke!

Catch big fun today bro
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 1:25pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not putting them on the same scale but just comparing them with what an average Igbo man would do. An average Igbo man is stubborn.
i see!

I might vote rochas......if need be!

Ibo man no stubborn pass hausaman, u knw.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 1:28pm On Dec 25, 2012
ilugunboy:

I dey kampe ...lolzzz. Am always around here ke!

Catch big fun today bro
correct! U need am......and dont leave me out of the fun oooo......

I deserted this section and mostly confined to romance section jst to avoid some tribal/religious war this section is known for. I don comeback sha....

Good to knw u de kampe...
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 1:34pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: i see!

I might vote rochas......if need be!

Ibo man no stubborn pass hausaman, u knw.
By stubbornness i don't mean physically but being able to break away from the crowd and status quo.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 1:53pm On Dec 25, 2012
berem: Things will never fall apart in Biafra! Igbos have been clamouring for Biafra for more than 4 decades.so why should it fall apart when it is finally achieved?
dont be too 'analytically predictive'. I'm sure pakistan, when they broke out of india never thought it will get to a stage where bangladesh will be created out of it. They cudn't get wat they fought for together, so they parted ways(d thing sef never better for both of them). They all thought it wil be smooth when they break out of india, the reverse is the case today. Pakistan, bangladesh are both in shambles today.

South-sudan thought it will be progress and peace all the way when they break out, have they found that love and progress today?

Somalia did samething, are they ok?

Rwandans fought themselves and are still together as we speak.

No matter our situation, we can stil look at others who are worst than we are, then thank God and probably work together to get things right.
Breakup is not always the solution, the solution is always dialogue.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 1:56pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
By stubbornness i don't mean physically but being able to break away from the crowd and status quo.
neither do i mean that.

Get ur house in order by bringing somebody who is credible, and u'd see our votes flocking around him/her.

I no need religion or tribe, na person wey ready, wey capable i need.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 2:02pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: neither do i mean that.

Get ur house in order by bringing somebody who is credible, and u'd see our votes flocking around him/her.

I no need religion or tribe, na person wey ready, wey capable i need.
Has any group in Nigeria ever done the bolded? or is it a pre-requisite required for Igbos alone? Did you direct this question to the North when they were ruling. Did you direct it to the Yorubas when before Obasanjo got there. Did you also tell the Ijaws before Jonathan got there? The hypocrisy that exhumes from some Nigeria is mind bugging.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: dont be too 'analytically predictive'. I'm sure pakistan, when they broke out of india never thought it will get to a stage where bangladesh will be created out of it. They cudn't get wat they fought for together, so they parted ways(d thing sef never better for both of them). They all thought it wil be smooth when they break out of india, the reverse is the case today. Pakistan, bangladesh are both in shambles today.

South-sudan thought it will be progress and peace all the way when they break out, have they found that love and progress today?

Somalia did samething, are they ok?

Rwandans fought themselves and are still together as we speak.

No matter our situation, we can stil look at others who are worst than we are, then thank God and probably work together to get things right.
Breakup is not always the solution, the solution is always dialogue.
There are always two sides to a coin. You're naming countries that have seperated and found it worse. But you're forgetting that there are also countries that have broken apart and found what they're looking for. I'm not really an advocate of Nigeria breaking apart but stop making it seem like any country that breaks apart will definitely fail. If anything, Nigeria has failed as a country despite being together.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by naptu2: 2:15pm On Dec 25, 2012
I believe that it is inevitable that we will have a president of Nigeria of Igbo extraction, so that's not the real question for me. There is a deeper question.

For decades we had heads of state from the north, yet the north is ravaged by poverty and lack of infrastructure. Olusegun Obasanjo was president of Nigeria, but did the south-west uniquely gain anything from him? If we have a president of igbo extraction will the average igbo man benefit anything from him?

The deeper question is how do we make our leaders accountable and ensure that they bring progress to Nigeria and nigerians?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 2:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
naptu2: I believe that it is inevitable that we will have a president of Nigeria of Igbo extraction, so that's not the real question for me. There is a deeper question.

For decades we had heads of state from the north, yet the north is ravaged by poverty and lack of infrastructure. Olusegun Obasanjo was president of Nigeria, but did the south-west uniquely gain anything from him? If we have a president of igbo extraction will the average igbo man benefit anything from him?

The deeper question is how do we make our leaders accountable and ensure that they bring progress to Nigeria and nigerians?
I say a resounding YES. It may interest you to know that the SE is the most marginalized region in the country as there's nothing that we can point to as what the FG has done for the country. We have the worst federal roads in the country. We get the lowest allocation in the federation and the list goes on. An Igbo president will definitely better the lot of the east no matter how small. They say the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 2:38pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Has any group in Nigeria ever done the bolded? or is it a pre-requisite required for Igbos alone? Did you direct this question to the North when they were ruling. Did you direct it to the Yorubas when before Obasanjo got there. Did you also tell the Ijaws before Jonathan got there? The hypocrisy that exhumes from some Nigeria is mind bugging.
if no group has done that, do u want it to continue the way it has been? We've made that mistake in the past and u still want us to repeat same mistake? Dont forget it's only a fool that repeat thesame mistake.

So, i should throw competence away simply becos i need somebody who is igbo and not because he's ok for the job? Sms......afam...!

What do u mean hypocrisy? If stating my requirement/criteria which i'd like our president to have amounts to hypocrisy, then, i stand to be so.

if u ar tilted towards having somebody who is igbo, and not who is capable, then we are goin nowhere with this mindset.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by naptu2: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I say a resounding YES. It may interest you to know that the SE is the most marginalized region in the country as there's nothing that we can point to as what the FG has done for the country. We have the worst federal roads in the country. We get the lowest allocation in the federation and the list goes on. An Igbo president will definitely better the lot of the east no matter how small. They say the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know.

Lol. With Nigerian politicians? Witness Asari Dokubo's recent comments. Anyway, till then, we shall see (I'm pretty certain that we'll have a president of igbo extraction soon). I hope you are right and I'm wrong, but we shall see.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 2:52pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: if no group has done that, do u want it to continue the way it has been? We've made that mistake in the past and u still want us to repeat same mistake? Dont forget it's only a fool that repeat thesame mistake.

So, i should throw competence away simply becos i need somebody who is igbo and not because he's ok for the job? Sms......afam...!

What do u mean hypocrisy? If stating my requirement/criteria which i'd like our president to have amounts to hypocrisy, then, i stand to be so.

if u ar tilted towards having somebody who is igbo, and not who is capable, then we are goin nowhere with this mindset.
I'm all for competence and not just because the person is Igbo. I would vote a Soyinka if he contests for presidency even if there are Igbo men in the running. I want an Igbo president with a track record of performance and there's no dearth of these Igbo people.

About the hypocrisy that i was talking about. I just find it weird that whenever the issue of Igbo presidency comes up, people will keep saying stuff like Igbos are not united bla bla bla as if others were united when they produced the president of this country. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander. You don't use different criteria to qualify different people.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by naptu2: 3:01pm On Dec 25, 2012
There was once a man (I know him very well). He rose to the highest heights of government. His people were very happy. They wanted electricity and a road. What did the man do? He built a huge mansion in the village.

While the man was still in government my father told me "that man! He can't return to that village when he leaves office. The people have promised to burn down his house".

My dad died before that man left office. About two weeks after the man left office, I read in the papers that the man's house was burnt down. The man only went to his village on the day he left office (just one day! Just for the cameras. For "show" ) and then relocated to Lagos.

We need to make these people accountable!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 3:11pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
There are always two sides to a coin. You're naming countries that have seperated and found it worse. But you're forgetting that there are also countries that have broken apart and found what they're looking for. I'm not really an advocate of Nigeria breaking apart but stop making it seem like any country that breaks apart will definitely fail. If anything, Nigeria has failed as a country despite being together.
it is so becos in 4 decades of agitation, u've made nigerians to believe that hope lies in disintegration. I need u to tell me those countries that seperated and are doing well today. Com'on, dont mention north korea, u knw what it is between them and their nothern brothers!

We have collectively contributed to the distruction of this country, irrespective of religion and tribe.... Leaving the wreackage is not th solution. It is either we come together to right our 'wrongs' , or we remain in-situ without progress.

Afam countries that seperated and found it worst outnumbers those that found the opposite and it is on this premise i base my argument.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Dec 25, 2012
caseless: it is so becos in 4 decades of agitation, u've made nigerians to believe that hope lies in disintegration. I need u to tell me those countries that seperated and are doing well today. Com'on, dont mention north korea, u knw what it is between them and their nothern brothers!

We have collectively contributed to the distruction of this country, irrespective of religion and tribe.... Leaving the wreackage is not th solution. It is either we come together to right our 'wrongs' , or we remain in-situ without progress.

Afam countries that seperated and found it worst outnumbers those that found the opposite and it is on this premise i base my argument.
Hope does not necessarily lie in disintegration but Nigeria as it is is hopeless. We've been in the same place for decades and nothing seems to be working so what do you expect people to think? What can be worse than what we're currently experiencing in Nigeria? How will it be worse for the Igbo nation to take their destiny into their hands considering the fact that they've been marginalized since the civil war ended How will it be worse for the Ijaw nation to secede from a country that has gang-r>aped it's resources and used to develop cities outside it's domain. As long as Nigeria is the way it is people will keep clamoring for seperation. And contrary to the belief that it's only Igbos that have been seeking for self determination, several groups have come out from different parts of the country to request for the breakup of Nigeria.

Some countries that used to be marginalized in the old soviet union are doing relatively well. At least better than they were in the soviet republic.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 4:40pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm all for competence and not just because the person is Igbo. I would vote a Soyinka if he contests for presidency even if there are Igbo men in the running. I want an Igbo president with a track record of performance and there's no dearth of these Igbo people.

About the hypocrisy that i was talking about. I just find it weird that whenever the issue of Igbo presidency comes up, people will keep saying stuff like Igbos are not united bla bla bla as if others were united when they produced the president of this country. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander. You don't use different criteria to qualify different people.
good to know this.

Again, how nigerians react whenever nd'igbo name is mentioned with respect to presidency is something i dont really go with. When u look at when obj was hand-picked for the job, most pple from the sw did not like him....he biggest support i think came from the north. Against all this , he still won.

I'm not against igbo becoming the PFRON, but what i'm not in support of is, giving ndigbo the chance in the name of consolation for their cry of marginalisation. Gej came in that way and we are yet to recover from that mistake.

Disunity is found in every corner of the country, and it is not restricted to igbo alone. That also do not throw away the fact that; for u to raise a strong voice, u must be united.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by MegaMan2020: 4:48pm On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri: Why has the power mongers in Nigeria, decided never to give an igbo man the chance?
Why was Sir Dr. Peter Odili denied the VP ticket? Was he really an igbo man?
Why do Nigerians see igbos as dubios people?
Will an igbo man be a better president than all others?
Will Nigeria break up the day an igbo man rules?
Why are the igbos not fighting for the seat?
Why were they displaced from the Senate President seat?

In your own view, what is really wrong with the igbo race?

The floor is open!

Because for the most part...THEY ARE!!!

The problem with the Igbos is the fact they're highly unlikeable. You only have to come on Nairaland to see this. They will diss Yorubas and Northerners but they will still want to come and live in our lands. That smacks of disrespect. The Igbos are noise makers and finger pointers. plus all this baseless talk about a Biafra nation. Ask yourself. if you a Yoruba or Hausa man, would you really trust an Igbo man to rule over you?
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by Caseless: 5:01pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Hope does not necessarily lie in disintegration but Nigeria as it is is hopeless. We've been in the same place for decades and nothing seems to be working so what do you expect people to think? What can be worse than what we're currently experiencing in Nigeria? How will it be worse for the Igbo nation to take their destiny into their hands considering the fact that they've been marginalized since the civil war ended How will it be worse for the Ijaw nation to secede from a country that has gang-r>aped it's resources and used to develop cities outside it's domain. As long as Nigeria is the way it is people will keep clamoring for seperation. And contrary to the belief that it's only Igbos that have been seeking for self determination, several groups have come out from different parts of the country to request for the breakup of Nigeria.

Some countries that used to be marginalized in the old soviet union are doing relatively well. At least better than they were in the soviet republic.
seccession might not be the solution here looking at our situation.

Dont forget, no one gang-ra'ped the ND cos there were other source of revenue before oil was discovered. I'm sure most roads(fedral roads) u find in that region which were constructed back then(now in bad shape, anyway), are u saying they were constructed using proceed from oil? whose region resources was used to build the refineries?

There was cocoa, cotton, groundnut, p-kernel/oil etc before oil was discovered. did ND gang-ra'pe any region before it benefitted from the resources then?

Talking of using their resources to build another city outside their area, would u have prefered the capital of nigeria to be there? Resources dosn't determine where a capital can be situated/located.
Texas owns the oil, capital is washinton dc...i.e in us.

At some point, we've all benefitted from each other, beside, discovery of oil is a curse on nigeria.

I still believe no one should feel he's more a victim than the other person, we all are victims of the structural failure we architected/designed.
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by BBPREYEgarri: 3:20pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rochas will be President come 2019!
I saw it in my dreams!
Re: Igbo Presidency: Why Not? by omonnakoda: 3:29pm On Mar 05, 2013
Ibos are not trusted by other Nigerians that is the simple,bitter truth. To make matters worse many Ibos think they are superior beings -and announce this brazenly to the whole world. Generally the Ibo man does not appear to believe in wooing people to his side. Rather he seems to think that if you have money you can do all things and chases money with unequalled zest. The most important human quality that wins friends more than any other; humility is completely alien to Ibos. Show me a humble Ibo man and I will show you an Ibo man without money. Regrettably the Ibo man does not grasp how much damage and offence his BOASTFULNESS causes. Of all things that is what people resent most and sadly they just don't get it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jtf Arrests Escaping Owners Of Tahir Hotel And Amusement Park Abuja! (PICTURE) / Video: Senator George Akume Secretly Recorded Threatening APC Candidates / Picture: Oshiomole Ebola Greeting For Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.