Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,297 members, 7,977,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 03:39 PM

Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic (953 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Niger Republic President Campaigns With Buhari's Photo / Children Welcome President Buhari To Niger Republic In Style (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by HottFunmi: 12:13am On Feb 21, 2008
Nigeria hands over town to Niger
By Our Reporter
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
NIGERIA has ceded another part of its territory to Niger Republic two years after it handed over the Bakassi Peninsula to Republic of Cameroun. The National Boundary Commission (NBC) on Monday said the country had ceded Tombo-Mota in the Abadam Local Government Area of Borno State to Niger Republic.

The commission said the fishing community had to be ceded because Nigeria needed to abide by the decision of a committee that re-demarcated the international border between the two countries.

According to the NBC’s resident Information Officer, Mr. Charles Edafe, the community, with a population of 3,000 people, was located in Borno State, adding that Niger Republic had already hoisted its yellow and green flags in the area having taken it over for some time now.

He told the Earthtime, an online news agency, that the dispute between the two countries over the territory dated back to five years ago and that in order to seek justice, the government of Niger reported the issue to a joint standing committee of experts on the re-demarcation of the Nigeria-Niger international boundary.

According to the report on the website, both countries jointly measured their geographical coordinates and compared them with what was done in 1912 by British and French colonialists and came to the agreement that the community belonged to Niger Republic.

This is the second time Nigeria is ceding part of its territory to its neighbour. The country had in 2006 ceded the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroun in compliance with an October 2002 ruling by the International Court of Justice in the Hague.

The two countries had earlier agreed on the modalities for the handover after Nigeria promised to respect the ruling. The handover of Bakassi had, however, generated controversy recently in the National Assembly with lawmakers saying that former President Olusegun Obasanjo did not follow due process.

But the former president, while reacting, said he acted in accordance with constitutional provisions in the handing over process, adding that he carried members of the National Assembly along during the process.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/20/610.html
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by doyin13(m): 12:16am On Feb 21, 2008
Na wa ooo. . .

Niger wey hunger wan kill them na im still dey acquire more responsiblities

But these boundaries are in word alone anyway.

I bet the Residents still think Uthman Dan Fodio is still the Sokoto Regent.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by TheSly: 12:20am On Feb 21, 2008
funmi. . . .whats wrong with hot.funmi? banned again?

I come in peace. . . .dont get it twisted cool
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by HottFunmi: 12:48am On Feb 21, 2008
Na wa ooo. . .

Niger wey hunger wan kill them na im still dey acquire more responsiblities

But these boundaries are in word alone anyway.

I bet the Residents still think Uthman Dan Fodio is still the Sokoto Regent.
lol, are you a comedian? I bet you are not even missing your fellow country men ceded to another nation.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by HottFunmi: 12:50am On Feb 21, 2008
funmi. . . .whats wrong with hot.funmi? banned again?

I come in peace. . . .don't get it twisted

Yes and i never fought with anybody.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by TheSly: 12:56am On Feb 21, 2008

awww sorry for the stress, nice to have u back anywayz. . . . . . . . see u around wink
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by Nobody: 12:57am On Feb 21, 2008
HottFunmi:

LOL. . .hon, i told ya. . .you make your ID too obvious. . .and i think seun's after you. . .i give you another day with this ID, then "ban" again grin

®~^Sly^~®:

awww sorry for the stress, nice to have u back anywayz. . . . . . . . see u around wink
awwwwwwwwwwwwww. . . now what do we have here. . . the rat got caught in the mousetrap cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by TheSly: 1:04am On Feb 21, 2008

awwwwwwwwwwwwww. . . now what do we have here. . . the rat got caught in the mousetrap cheesy cheesy

OOOO Serious. . . . cheesy
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by doyin13(m): 1:09am On Feb 21, 2008
HottFunmi:

lol, are you a comedian? I bet you are not even missing your fellow country men ceded to another nation.

Look me from head to toe. . . .which part of me says Gambari or Mala

and no smartass retorts- i knw i left myself open angry angry
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 21, 2008
doyin13:

Look me from head to toe. . . .which part of me says Gambari or Mala

and no smartass retorts- i knw i left myself open angry angry
LOL. . .more like baba suwe
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by doyin13(m): 1:29am On Feb 21, 2008
Look at this Fali Werepe angry cheesy. . . . . .jo jo ko ba bukata ti e lo o
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by naijaking1: 3:03am On Feb 21, 2008
Guys, we're talking about ceding naija towns to other countries.

When are we going to give Sokoto and Maiduguri to Niger and Chad respectively?
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by HottFunmi: 4:28am On Feb 21, 2008

Lol, these guys will get me banned again. smiley smiley
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:51am On Feb 21, 2008
naijaking1:

Only Sokoto and Maiduguri? Abegi, some regions have to be ceded alongside this Tombo-mota (uuumm sounds like some town in Japan). grin

@topic

If they can cede unwilling Bakassi to Cameroun, then i dont give a danm whether the whole of the northern region is ceded to Egypt.
It's even good news for southerners, as they will have for themslves fewer butcherers whenever there is a religious riot.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by naijaking1: 6:03am On Feb 21, 2008
Yeah, after giving away Sokoto and Maiduguri, we should easily hand over Calabar to Cameroon, and Lagos to Benin republic.

Giving away naija towns and cities seemed to be our government's only way of being friendly with the West.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by tpia: 11:03pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ topic: isnt that nice.

I'm sure Benin republic could also use some of the western side of Nigeria. The country is so small and Nigeria is so big, thanks to Lord Lugard.

make them kuku give away as much as possible. Lottery giveaway.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by 4Play(m): 11:22pm On Feb 21, 2008
Lets "cede" the whole of Northern Nigeria to Niger Republic
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by HottFunmi: 5:17am On Feb 22, 2008
Lets "cede" the whole of Northern Nigeria to Niger Republic

And who will be ruling Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 22, 2008
HottFunmi:

And who will be ruling Nigeria?

Simple question. Invite the white man back since the black man cannot properly manage his affairs.
Re: Nigeria Cedes Town To Niger Republic by Sabisabi: 4:35pm On Feb 22, 2008
At this rate we go soon give Lagos to Gana.

(1) (Reply)

Massacre In Gbaramatu Of Delta State For Oil And Gas (must Watch Video!) / Latest On ASUU Strike / Deregulation: Cbn Raises Alarm •petrol Sells At N250 Per Litre In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.