Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,894 members, 7,889,953 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 05:39 AM

Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. (12449 Views)

What Do You Think Will Be My Greatest Challenge when i become the president? / GEJ'S Greatest Challenge. / Ojukwu's Burial: Crowd Control As The Greatest Challenge During Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Yobosman(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2012
;DDis z d best speech i av heard frm Mr.president in ages!!!Dis z d best speech i av heard frm Mr.president in ages!!!Dis z d best speech i av heard frm Mr.president in ages!!!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by nagoma(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2012
berem: If the attitude of nigerians is the problem and not corruption,why do we have EFCC, ICPC and other anti-corruption agencies? GEJ is indeed daft!! grin

Yes we should have Ministry of attitude instead! Or independendent Attitudenal Correcction Commission ( IACC). Boils down to war against indiscipline . Perhaps Jona should seek Buhari's help.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by nagoma(m): 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2012
nagoma: @ Ikengawo
The Reterdeen and his team of degenerates are at it again . This time in defense of corruption, they will soon be telling us that corruption is good for us as implied by the monkey ikengawo. Jonathan is preventing accidents by refusing to fix roads - since good roads cause accidents . A zero capacity president destroying our country and you guys are looking the other way. I curse them in the name of God. cry
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kulutempa: 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2012
nagoma:

Yes we should have Ministry of attitude instead! Or independendent Attitudenal Correcction Commission ( IACC). Boils down to war against indiscipline . Perhaps Jona should seek Buhari's help.

Not so fast. First expect a Task Force on Nigerian Attitudes, followed by a White paper by a Government committee on attitudes, followed by a Federal Executive Council recommendation for a Ministry on Nigerian Attitude Correction (MNAC) to be set up by 2015 at the latest as one of the landmark achievements of the GEJ government.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by wowo2: 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2012
A few years ago when Nigerians were said to be the happiest people on earth, the Nigerian leaders were busy siphoning money away...
Now Nigeria does not feature in the top of the list of happy nations, the leaders are not only still chopping the money, but are now abusing Nigerians for not smiling anymore.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Dede1(m): 9:46pm On Dec 30, 2012
Gen. Orumov:
I don't think Disintegration will totally solve our problems. Nigeria's main problem may be tribalism and religion but we have other countries that have more than one tribe and religion but their's isn't as pathetic as Nigeria's. Our major problem is poverty which has led to serious corruption. Even if we disintegrate, corruption which is now part of our orientation and culture will still hold us back. Jonathan has said it all. Attitude is our major challenge.

Of course there are many countries with more than one tribe and religion but they are not Nigeria or experienced war of attrition (civil war) engendered by the differences rooted in ethnicity and religion. It is unfortunate Nigeria has heroes and heroines validated only by their ethnic and religious background. There were many factors that kicked off Nigeria\Biafra civil war but none is greater than tribalism.

It appears Nigerians tend to live in state of denial hence the prevalent corruptions and acts of lawless that besieged the society. Any drastic attempt to corral the decadence in Nigerian society will open a plethora of ethnic tensions.

If Republic of Igbo land decides one morning to shot its corrupt leaders, it does not need to worry about backlash or cry of unfairness from Yoruba, Fulani, Hausa, Kanusi, Nupe, Idoma, Ijo, Efik, Tiv, Edo, Esan, Urhobo, Birom, Bachama, Ejegam, Ogoni, etc.

There is no doubt in mind that disintegrated Nigeria shall be more progressive than the current cesspit.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by 9icest: 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
GEJ keeps breaking my heart. Its glaring hes a hopeless f00l! Why cant he just ask a tailor to put a zip on his lips! I dont know who is worse, him or his cow of a wife!
Im never coming back to Naija again!!!!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by abrat: 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2012
As I have said before, good pple do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad pple will find a way around the laws. It is obvious in any society, there are bad pple & that is where the function of the law enforcers come into play.

Having said that, pple should know that Govt. cannot do it alone. Almost every Nigerian is corrupt & we must start its eradication from individual homes.

Besides, if GEJ is corrupt, then it means we all are corrupt because LEADERSHIP IS ALWAYS THE PRODUCT OF FOLLOWERSHIP. Larger percentage of Nigerians voted for him.[b]As I have said before, good pple do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad pple will find a way around the laws. It is obvious in any society, there are bad pple & that is where the function of the law enforcers come into play.

Having said that, pple should know that Govt. cannot do it alone. Almost every Nigerian is corrupt & we must start its eradication from individual homes.

Besides, if GEJ is corrupt, then it means we all are corrupt because LEADERSHIP IS ALWAYS THE PRODUCT OF FOLLOWERSHIP. Larger percentage of Nigerians voted for him.[/b]As I have said before, good pple do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad pple will find a way around the laws. It is obvious in any society, there are bad pple & that is where the function of the law enforcers come into play.

Besides, if GEJ is corrupt, then it means we all are corrupt because LEADERSHIP IS ALWAYS THE PRODUCT OF FOLLOWERSHIP. Larger percentage of Nigerians voted for him.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by veraponpo(m): 10:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo: He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites. They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job, and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in their cars at all times are potholes.
Nigerians need a new civic culture.
I disagree with u man and Gej. You should have heard about cause-effect relationship before. As Africans especially Nigerians we had right attitude before now, I could remember in the 80's u dare not pick anything that was not yours, then fruit sellers in our local markets would leave them on the counters and would go home and would still meet them safe, same with other wares. Some would even leave notes, stones or a denomination that best price tag for the item sold. But when IBB came in 1985, he allowed corrupt people to grow , then bribe became 'egunje' in d ministries, parastatals, one could not get things done normally again. You must give bribe before people will do their jobs, the good people were suffering while the bad were making
Headways. That was what led to change in the attitude of people. So corruption came first, let us fight corruption and see if attitude will not change, if the bad continue to make and the good are suffering no amount of sermon will change peoples attitude. GEJ goofed again. Bloody thief.

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade:

LOL. So, you slam your foot on the gas pedal in an intersection with the red lights on and you jam another car head on, and you blame it on one corrupt person somewhere and not on yourself cos you acted foolishly? LOL. SMH. You overrun your speedometer and you have a blow out and die in the process and blame it on the corrupt tendencies of some faceless people? Haba.

You drive with a bottle of Henessey in your glove compartment, sipping it at intervals and you sleep off and ran into the bush and die in the process and then blame it on some politicians somewhere or on some law enforcement? Chuo.

Now, take GEJ out of the picture and think hard to see if you are making sense.

I.mbecile, in Nigeria, when you get stopped by the cops for drunk driving, do you:

A. Get arrested, taken to jail, and have you license suspended, or;

B. You pay a bribe, continue on your merry way --possibly killing innocent pedestrians-- before you go vomit in the living room and beat up your wife for not waking up to cook isi-ewu for you at 4am in the morning?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by awodman: 4:57am On Dec 31, 2012
ballabriggs:

I don't need people like you who are professional butt lickers. I have a project already in my constituency and it is about driving young people to be ethically aware. So you can crawl back to wherever you came from and continue in your misery.

We will save Nigeria from the hands of rogues and brigands.
Y is it Đa̶̲̥̅̊τ̲̅ any1 who does not see tins 4rm ur point of view is labeled a butt licker??...must we always agree with you...seriously you also have dis attitude problem GEJ is talking bout...take it or leave it,GEJ has made his point and history someday will rember that he said dis

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by radical4jegmai(m): 7:09am On Dec 31, 2012
thag is a gud message from our father
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by stantob(m): 7:24am On Dec 31, 2012
Mr president,you deserve an award.Good roads,more accidents.Bad roads, less accidents.What a shame Mr president.You seriously need brain examination.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by deletrue: 9:28am On Dec 31, 2012
Ikengawo: He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites. They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job, and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in their cars at all times are potholes.
Nigerians need a new civic culture.

More than 100 per cent correct. You have completely finished this issues satisfactorily. But just to add a little. Few days ago, i was in a ATM queue when my turn came. A middle aged man walked to me saying it is his turn. I then asked why? because i have being in the line up to 30 minutes. A barrister just parked his car walked to the atm, forced himself and used the atm with a comment that he has no time, that we do not have anything doing. That is a learned member of a society.
Definition of attitude: attitude means aggressive behavour showing careless towards others. Ways one thinks or feels about another. Now if Fashola should tell his lasma, police etc. to leave lagos roads for just half a day, then you will see the real attitude of nigerians. A situation where an individual will drive against traffic not because he or she is under emergency is also attitude problem. The likes of that barrister will open thier mouth and abuse the president that he is doing nothing. When pastor Bakare open his mouth and abuse the president's wife as he has done in the past, is also an attitude problem. When the president cancel contract due to deviations detected, most of this abnormal nigerians will outrightly reign abuse on the president of being corrupt because of the cancellation, is also attitude problems. The president is therefore, DAMN correct to say majority of nigerians are suffering from the greatest problem of attitude.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by duen23(m): 9:34am On Dec 31, 2012
Man is inherently a sinner. Meaning, he will always try to do what's wrong until he grows a conscience. What makes little children steal money from their parents purse? They want some candy (read the better things in life). This kid has no reason to change his attitude if his mum keeps indulging his habit or giving him a 'stern warning'. He might or might not change if a cane is brought into the equation but 'might change' is better than won't change. You need laws to deter people from being corrupt because man is always gonna test the law and if he finds the consequence agreeable, he has no reason to change. The system and not individuals have to change. Men of God have tried far longer trying to convince people that pre marital sex is bad. Have people stopped having sex? In Nigeria right now, they are people that obey they law but see other people who blatantly abuse it get rewarded. What's their incentive to be law abiding citizens? Peoples attitude have to change, but it's wishful thinking to think they will change without a seismic change in the system
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by gudugudumeje: 9:51am On Dec 31, 2012
GEJ's is foolishness. He should go back to school to know about society, polity ad economy and the way corruption is the attitude of gangs of self-seeking despots...... he is chief player.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 31, 2012
Mr. Globe:
The Attitude is caused by poverty. There is so much poverty in the land that Nigerians act weird. For instance take their music taste for example. A normal Nigerian will take Terry G/wizard kid's music over Asa and like that.lol.

btw. i disagree with GEJ. When you fight the pervasive corruption in the land Attitude will change. It is not the other way round.
you spoke my mind.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ikengawo: Something as simple as forming a line in Nigeria will turn into a fight and people will push themselves and fight to get on a bus that everyone is boarding anyways and is going to leave at the same time and go to the same place whether they're first or not.

People, instead of hiring labor and helping unemployment, will find a 7 year old in their village and make them work for free

People, instead of hiring a graduated professional will hire their incompetent brother or nephew who doesn't take his job seriously
You will give people a good road and they'll drive the opposite of traffic

You will give a community an oil pipeline and they'll drill holes in it, blowing themselves up and polluting their community for the next 100 years.

People worship the rich and treat the poor as less than human even when they themselves are poor.

If you ask a nigerian about nigeria they will go on and on about everything bad in their life and wonder why the nation has a bad image, completely unable to count 1 of God's daily blessings

People harbor criminals if the criminal is from their local government area.

Corruption isn't the issue, it's the people and their attitude towards society.
all you've said are rubbish!

* people will not have to line or rush if they can buy their own car.

* which money are they going to use to hire labour? Is it the same money they use to burn fuel 24/7?

* people will not employ their brothers and relations if they are already employed in this country.

* most of the people going to burst pipelines are even ready to commit suicide due to hardship of the country so they prefer the "get rich or die trying method".

* nobody will worship a richman if they are also getting money in this part of the world.

* yes! They will talk about everything bad because they don't want to die in silence.

* are all our politicians not also thieves? Or are they saints??

Don't let these people deceive you, they've destroyed the country and they want to put the blame on the people.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Gbawe: 3:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
gudugudumeje: GEJ's is foolishness. He should go back to school to know about society, polity ad economy and the way corruption is the attitude of gangs of self-seeking despots...... he is chief player.

Precisely. The man is a disgrace to Nigeria with how, even minimally, he does not understand his role as 'father of the nation'. A total embarrassment always moaning like a powerless victim. If we had a President ready to lead by example, then attitude can change.

You are the number 1 citizen of a Nation yet you are asking for attitudinal change from others when you have never, on any occasion at all, led by example yourself !!! What a load of Kibosh.

It is just tragic we have the worst accidental President leading us in Nigeria. A damning indictment of the lack of political sophistication of Nigerians. Even leaders of average ability, given the sort of power that comes with the Nigerian presidency, will not moan and play perpetual hopeless victim , seeking pity, as GEJ does.

The man is just a very, very, very poor leader. I even feel embarrassed calling him a leader since I understand what the word means to know that it does not describe GEJ in any way at all.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
mosun_ade:

Bros. answer me first. Accidents in Abuja with good roads are caused by corruption.? Answer a simple question. I dont care where you have been, I have been all over Nigeria on road.

....guess I already answered you,...and that's why I call accidents in Abj dumb accidents. You drive on a near-perfect road like d ones in Abj and you still crash your car, then you must be dumb.
But as I also pointed out to you earlier, it would be naive to use Abj roads to generalise. All the roads in Abj put together won't account for more than 2% at most of all the roads we have in Nigeria. So why use what obtains in a 2% sample area to generalise for the entire population? The J5 that dodges a pot-hole,loses control and slams into a tree by the road side,busting into flames and roasting all on board,...is that an attitudinal issue? The trailer that skids off the road btw Gwagwalada n Okene,...is that attitudinal too?
Lastly,if truly you have been all over Nigeria by road,....I bet you won't claim majority of road accidents are due to attitudinal issues. Ask those who ply Ore-Benin, Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa, Makera-Kontagora, Funtua-Zaria, Lagos-Ibadan, Ilorin-Ogbomoso amongst several others to tell you what they pass through on a daily basis.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Shegbe: 7:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
X-factoria:

You still don't get it.

Using your law enforcement example, it is our attitude that makes people in the Police Force or FRSC not do what they are supposed to do. Our attitude makes corruption thrive, makes us weak to fight it.
It is the same attitude that makes us think Government must solve all our problems when we can actually do some little things that can change a whole lot. We think corruption is just for the government to fight and most times we frustrate government efforts once our brother or kinsman is involved.

Having the right attitude would make corrupt people outliers in our society. It would make the society hell for them.
Can you pls tell me how we are supposed to FORCE d law enFORCEment agents to do their job?
During GEJ's campaign, did he say he was gonna help change the people's attitude or he was gonna fight corruption. How come he suddenly dawns on him dat corruption which he agreed was an issue & which he promised to fight has now changed to "our attitude".
& BTW no right thinking Nigerian depends on d govt for everything. The day you buy a generator, you have helped d govt do its job, d day you send your relative abroad 4 medical treatment, you have helped d govt do its job.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 10:23am On Jan 01, 2013
Gbawe:

Precisely. The man is a disgrace to Nigeria with how, even minimally, he does not understand his role as 'father of the nation'. A total embarrassment always moaning like a powerless victim. If we had a President ready to lead by example, then attitude can change.

You are the number 1 citizen of a Nation yet you are asking for attitudinal change from others when you have never, on any occasion at all, led by example yourself !!! What a load of Kibosh.

It is just tragic we have the worst accidental President leading us in Nigeria. A damning indictment of the lack of political sophistication of Nigerians. Even leaders of average ability, given the sort of power that comes with the Nigerian presidency, will not moan and play perpetual hopeless victim , seeking pity, as GEJ does.

The man is just a very, very, very poor leader. I even feel embarrassed calling him a leader since I understand what the word means to know that it does not describe GEJ in any way at all.

LOL. That doesnt change the fact that he is your President and he will be at least till 2015. If you like call him any name, it doesnt change that fact. abi? and I know your next line - you will say this is bla bla bla, a man posting as a woman. Thats your usual line.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 10:27am On Jan 01, 2013
kingoflag:

I.mbecile, in Nigeria, when you get stopped by the cops for drunk driving, do you:

A. Get arrested, taken to jail, and have you license suspended, or;

B. You pay a bribe, continue on your merry way --possibly killing innocent pedestrians-- before you go vomit in the living room and beat up your wife for not waking up to cook isi-ewu for you at 4am in the morning?

Your mother and father are im.beciles, of course. That's why their union also produced an im.becile in you who drools from both sides of his smelly mouth. What is the relevance of this stupid post to my comment? You retar.ded kangaroo.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 02, 2013
duen23: Man is inherently a sinner. Meaning, he will always try to do what's wrong until he grows a conscience. What makes little children steal money from their parents purse? They want some candy (read the better things in life). This kid has no reason to change his attitude if his mum keeps indulging his habit or giving him a 'stern warning'. He might or might not change if a cane is brought into the equation but 'might change' is better than won't change. You need laws to deter people from being corrupt because man is always gonna test the law and if he finds the consequence agreeable, he has no reason to change. The system and not individuals have to change. Men of God have tried far longer trying to convince people that pre marital sex is bad. Have people stopped having sex? In Nigeria right now, they are people that obey they law but see other people who blatantly abuse it get rewarded. What's their incentive to be law abiding citizens? Peoples attitude have to change, but it's wishful thinking to think they will change without a seismic change in the system

You are on point.
However, let me add that our system is such a fraudulent one that nothing good will come out of it.
Before we discuss the terrible side of our law-enforcement agencies and agents, let us even take a look at our laws:
Here, people are appointed into positions not because of what they can do, but because of where they come from.
Here, two students take an exam, one scores more than the other, the one with the lesser score gets admitted while the one with with the bigger score is denied admission, just because of "catchment area".

We can never have continuity of government policies no matter how good they are because government policies are always perceived from the ethnic/religious angle.

Is there hope? Except we agree to at least restructure Nigeria, we might as well be wasting our time.
1. In summary, attitudinal change will take place when we have a good system
2. We cannot have a good system, because we have a fraudulent structure.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Thuraya Phones Banned In States On Emergency Rule / Buhari's Budget Was Not Based On Zero Budgeting-Auditor General / EFCC Detains Sylvester Ezeani, INEC Commissioner Over N223bn Diezani Bribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.