Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:19 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (488793 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by busuyem: 5:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
smurfy:

Here goes...

Let A = 2x and P = x
Using A = P[1 + (r/100)]^n,

2x = x[1 + (4/100)]^n
2 = (1 + 0.04)^n
2 = (1.04)^n

Take log of both sides:

log 2 = log (1.04)^n
nlog(1.04) = log 2
n = log 2/log(1.04)
n = 17.67
n = 18 years (approx)

Thanks very big!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
jauntee02: i'l give only the first person to solve this (within 12 hours) a recharge card.

1..The current distance between
Buenos Aires and Cape Town at
latitude 34° S is 6890 km, and
the sea floor spreading rate at
the South Atlantic mid-ocean
ridge (i.e. between the African
and South American plate) is 35
mm yr-1. Assuming that both
cities lie near to the edge of their
respective continental margins,
calculate to the nearest million
years how long it has been since
these two continents separated.
*****Hint: it may help if you first
calculate how far the plates
would move in 1 million years.
2..A palaeontologist has
discovered a new fossil
Pterosaur species (i.e. flying
reptile) in sedimentary strata
near Buenos Aires, and also near
Cape Town. The strata are dated
as Early Cretaceous (120 Ma) in
age. Using a reconstruction of
the fossil skeleton, the
palaeontologist has suggested
that the animal probably ate fish,
and could have flown long
distances across the sea at an
average of 60 km h-1. To the
nearest hour, determine how
long, it would have taken the
Pterosaur to fly across the Early
Cretaceous Atlantic Ocean.
1.)...the seperation rate,
r=35mm yr-1=35*10^-3 m yr-1
or
r=35*10^-3*10^6/10^6 m yr-1
or
r=35 km/million-yrs....
So,
the time T, taken for a seperation of 6890 km is;
T=6890/35
or
T=196.857 million-yrs

2.) Note that 120 Ma means 120 Mega-annum...meaning
120 Million-yrs...that been being the yr of flight, it means the seperation distance S, in that period is S=35*120=4200 km...so the duration P, of the specie's flight is P=4200/60=70 hrs or equivalently it 'll take 2-days 22-hours

you can keep ur Recharge Card

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
Laplacian:
1.)...the seperation rate,
r=35mm yr-1=35*10^-3 m yr-1
or
r=35*10^-3*10^6/10^6 m yr-1
or
r=35 km/million-yrs....
So,
the time T, taken for a seperation of 6890 km is;
T=6890/35
or
T=196.857 million-yrs

2.) Note that 120 Ma means 120 Mega-annum...meaning
120 Million-yrs...that been being the yr of flight, it means the seperation distance S, in that period is S=35*120=4200 km...so the duration P, of the specie's flight is P=4200/60=70 hrs or equivalently it 'll take 2-days 22-hours

you can keep ur Recharge Card
. . .nice1 bruv...d guy don't kw who is who on this thread yet... Imagine '12hrs' in his small mind ,dat's d hottest maths problem ever...hmm

al z wel

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
smurfy: If y = ln[tan(1 - x)], show that
dy/dx = -2/[sin(2 - 2x)]
let's have tan(1-x)=u
=>lnu=y

-sec^2 (1-x)=du/dx
1/u=dy/du
dy/du *du /dx=dy/dx
=> -sec^2(1-x)/tan(1-x)=dy/dx (replacing the value of u)
since -sec^2 (1-x)=-1/(cos^2 (1 -x) & sin(1-x)/cos(1-x)=tan(1-x)

=> -1/[sin(1-x).cos(1-x)]=dy/dx
now , to get to where we are going let's do some manipulations

we can have -2/2[sin(1-x)cos(1-x) (multiplying up and down by 2/2)
from trig idntities we can write 2sin(1-x).cos(1-x) as sin2(1-x) =sin(2-2x) (since, 'say' 2sinACosA=sin2A)

hence
dy/dx=-2/sin(2-2x)

Q.E.D
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 7:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
...pls i need help with this questoin...either a solution or an idea is welcome...

Three non-zero integers are in arithmetic progression, the product of ANY two when when increased by one is a perfect square...find the numbers......
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
benbuks: let's have tan(1-x)=u
=>lnu=y

-sec^2 (1-x)=du/dx
1/u=dy/du
dy/du *du /dx=dy/dx
=> -sec^2(1-x)/tan(1-x)=dy/dx (replacing the value of u)
since -sec^2 (1-x)=-1/(cos^2 (1 -x) & sin(1-x)/cos(1-x)=tan(1-x)

=> -1/[sin(1-x).cos(1-x)]=dy/dx
now , to get to where we are going let's do some manipulations

we can have -2/2[sin(1-x)cos(1-x) (multiplying up and down by 2/2)
from trig idntities we can write 2sin(1-x).cos(1-x) as sin2(1-x) =sin(2-2x) (since, 'say' 2sinACosA=sin2A)

hence
dy/dx=-2/sin(2-2x)

Q.E.D

Superbly correct!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
Laplacian: ...pls i need help with this questoin...either a solution or an idea is welcome...

Three non-zero integers are in arithmetic progression, the product of any two when when increased by one is a perfect square...find the numbers......
..hint

we can have a , (a+d) ,( a+2d)

remember to have a perfect square b^2 -4ac=0 (from theorem of quadratic equation) , hope it helps ,?
we have any series of ood/even numbers
e.g 3,5,7,. . .
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2013
benbuks: ..hint

remember to have a perfect square b^2 -4ac=0 (from theorem of quadratic equation) , hope it helps ,?

Is it 2, 4, 6?

(2 * 4) + 1 = 9
(4 * 6) + 1 =25

Remember also that if a, b, c are in AP, then b = 1/2(a + c).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
smurfy:

Is it 2, 4, 6?

(2 * 4) + 1 = 9
(4 * 6) + 1 =25

Remember also that if a, b, c are in AP, then b = 1/2(a + c).
but 2*6+1=13
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:20pm On Dec 12, 2013
benbuks: ..hint

we have any series of ood/even numbers
e.g 3,5,7,. . .
tanx but i dont no hw 2 apply it here;
3*7+1=22
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 12, 2013
Laplacian:
but 2*6+1=13

Are you sure the question isn't talking about any two consecutive terms?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
smurfy:

Are you sure the question isn't talking about any two consecutive terms?
no
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
Laplacian:
no

Well, since 2, 4, 6 and 3, 5, 7 both qualify as 'answers', then it's obvious the question isn't talking about any two consecutive terms.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
smurfy: In how many different ways can the letters P, Q, R, S, T be arranged if the letter R must be to the right of the letter S?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:48pm On Dec 12, 2013
[quote author=smurfy][/quote].....when u say R must be to the right of S , do u mean RIGHT NEXT to S as per S,R or do you mean anywhere as far as its at the right of S as per S, P, R....and .....Q,S,P,R....etc. Specify....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 10:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
[quote author=smurfy][/quote]
case1: if R appears as first letter to d right,
number of ways of arranging d other letters, n=4!=24
case2: if R appears as second letter to d right,
n=4P3*3P1=24*3=72
case3: if R appears as third letter to d right,
n=4P2*3P2=12*6=72
case4: if R appears as fourth letter to d right,
n=4P1*3P3=4*6=24

so there are 192 possible ways of arrangement

Generally, if u are to arrange r objects so that one is always to d right of the other, then
case i: if object appears as i-th object to d right,
n=(r-1)P(r-i)*(r-2)P(i-1)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 12, 2013
Laplacian:
n=4P3*3P1=24*3=72
n=4P2*3P2=12*6=72
n=4P1*3P3=4*6=24

Generally, if u are to arrange r objects so that one is always to d right of the other, then

@Maximus
I mean any place right of S, e.g. P, S, T, R, Q.

@Laplacian
Your answer is wrong, sir.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by akpos4uall(m): 12:10am On Dec 13, 2013
smurfy: In how many different ways can the letters P, Q, R, S, T be arranged if the letter R must be to the right of the letter S?

**Goes out to buy gift for whoever thrashes the question**

This is the same as taking R and S as a single letter (lemme say letter V). Hence it is like arranging the letters P, Q, V & T. This is same as arranging 4 letters = 4! = 24
Answer is 24
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:46am On Dec 13, 2013
Laplacian: ...pls i need help with this questoin...either a solution or an idea is welcome...

Three non-zero integers are in arithmetic progression, the product of ANY two when when increased by one is a perfect square...find the numbers......
Hi Mr Laps, the numbers are 0, 2, 4. cool
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:47am On Dec 13, 2013

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by akpos4uall(m): 12:48am On Dec 13, 2013
Laplacian:
n=4P3*3P1=24*3=72
n=4P2*3P2=12*6=72
n=4P1*3P3=4*6=24

Using your logic, I think I have the solution
Case 1: S as first from left
n = 4! = 24

Case 2: S as 2nd from left
We are left with any 3 of P,Q,T for the 1st slot and the remaining 3 slots can be done in 3! ways
n = 3 * 3! = 18

Case 3: S as 3rd from left
We are left with 2 of the 3 P,Q,T for 1st & 2nd slot and the remaining 2 slots will be done in 2! ways
n = (3*2)*2! = 12

Case 4: S as 4th from left
Here P,Q,T can be arranged in any order in 3! ways for the first 3 slots and R in 1 way for the last slot
n = 3!*1 = 6

Total possible = 6 +12 +18 +24 = 60
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 12:53am On Dec 13, 2013
jackpot: Hi Mr Laps, the numbers are 0, 2, 4. cool
thanks ma'am...but only non-zero integers are allowed
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:01am On Dec 13, 2013
akpos4uall:

Using your logic, I think I have the solution
Case 1: S as first from left
n = 4! = 24

Case 2: S as 2nd from left
We are left with any 3 of P,Q,T for the 1st slot and the remaining 3 slots can be done in 3! ways
n = 3 * 3! = 18

Case 3: S as 3rd from left
We are left with 2 of the 3 P,Q,T for 1st & 2nd slot and the remaining 2 slots will be done in 2! ways
n = (3*2)*2! = 12

Case 4: S as 4th from left
Here P,Q,T can be arranged in any order in 3! ways for the first 3 slots and R in 1 way for the last slot
n = 3!*1 = 6

Total possible = 6 +12 +18 +24 = 60

Beautifully correct!

Actually, it's such a simple question. The answer is 5!/2 = 60.

How? Well, let's look at the letters A, B, C. Total possible arrangements are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA. Total possible arrangements is 6. In how many ways, for example, is C to the right of A? Three ways.

You can pick any two letters and you'll always get n!/2 ways of having a particular letter to the right/left of another. This is always so since n! is always even for any positive integral value of n greater than 1.

A big THANK YOU to akpos4uall, Laplacian and aysuccess99 for doing justice to this question.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 1:48am On Dec 13, 2013

**Goes out to buy gift for whoever thrashes the question**
here is the general solution to your problem.....suppose u have r object and u 're required 2 find d number of ways of arrangin them so that one is always 2 d right of another....dig 'r' hole, from ur right, label any hole of ur choice as the i-th hole which is d hole occupied by d object required 2 b on d right...now, from hole 1 to i-1 only r-2 objects can fil it, (because an object is already occupyin d
i-th and d other object is 2 its left) so number of ways of arrangemnt of objects to the right of i is (r-2)P(i-1)....to the left of the i-th hole, only (r-i) holes are left for the same number of objects, so number of ways of arrangin objects to d left of i is (r-i)!
So totaly, number of ways of permutation,
n={summation i=1 to r-1}
(r-2)P(i-1)*(r-i)!

@Smurfy, for ur case above r=5, so we hav
n=3P0*4!+
3P1*3!+
3P2*2!+
3P3*1!
Or
n=24+18+12+6=60

try it 4 any value of r, u 'll obtain the correct answer

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 2:05am On Dec 13, 2013
smurfy:

Beautifully correct!

Actually, it's such a simple question. The answer is 5!/2 = 60.

How? Well, let's look at the letters A, B, C. Total possible arrangements are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA. Total possible arrangements is 6. In how many ways, for example, is C to the right of A? Three ways.

You can pick any two letters and you'll always get n!/2 ways of having a particular letter to the right/left of another. This is always so since n! is always even for any positive integral value of n greater than 1.

A big THANK YOU to akpos4uall, Laplacian and aysuccess99 for doing justice to this question.
what u have reasoned is correct because the arrangement is symmetrical....it follows immediately that we have deceitfully proved that;

{summation i=1 to n-1}
(n-2)P(i-1)*(n-i)!=n!/2
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 4:20am On Dec 13, 2013
@oga akpos4all, and oga laplacian and smurfy, thanks very much, i've actually learn something 2day and i wld keep on learning 4rm this thread....GOD bless u all....thanks a lot.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jaryeh(m): 8:07am On Dec 13, 2013
smurfy: In how many different ways can the letters P, Q, R, S, T
be arranged if the letter R must
be to the right of the letter S?

If the letter R must be to the right of S,it means S can occupy only any of the first four positions. That can be done in four ways. The remaining four letters could be arranged in 4! ways which is 24,which means everything could be done in 24*4 ways,which is 96. But out of this 96 ways,3+2+1 of them may have S to the right of R which is contrary to the condition stated.

Hence,going by the condition,it can be done in (96-6)ways which is 90 ways.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 13, 2013
jaryeh:

If the letter R must be to the right of S,it means S can occupy only any of the first four positions. That can be done in four ways. The remaining four letters could be arranged in 4! ways which is 24,which means everything could be done in 24*4 ways,which is 96. But out of this 96 ways,3+2+1 of them may have S to the right of R which is contrary to the condition stated.

Hence,going by the condition,it can be done in (96-6)ways which is 90 ways.

Which condition are you referring to? If you're referring to the condition in the original question, then I can assure you that the answer provided is as correct as they get. It's 60 and not 90.

And, where have you been all these million years? smiley
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jaryeh(m): 8:45am On Dec 13, 2013
smurfy:

Which condition are you referring to? If you're referring to the condition in the original question, then I can assure you that the answer provided is as correct as they get. It's 60 and not 90.

And, where have you been all these million years? smiley

Oga mi,I just go buy land for Mars ni o. You know say heaven and earth go soon pass away. cheesy

As per the question,I will take a better look at it when I get home in less than two hours' time.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jaryeh(m): 9:16am On Dec 13, 2013
Now,@smurfy.

By considering each of the five position... We have P,Q,R,S,T. And if the letter R must be to the right of S,this can not be possible if S is the last letter,hence S can only occupy any of the first four positions. That can be done in 4 ways. Then the remaining for letters can then be permuted round it in 4! ways. That means the whole arrangement can be done in 4*24 ways= 96 ways.

But the question says R must be to the right of S. Then let's consider each of the four positions which can be occupied by S and see how many of it will have R being at the left side of S (which obviously would be against the condition).
Now,if S is the first letter,R will always be to the right of S. That one is settled.
If S is at the second position,R may be at the first(which is against the rule also),so this way,the other three letters can be permutted in 3! ways = 6 ways.
If S is at the third position,R may be at the 1st or 2nd position. In each case,the other three letters can be arranged in 6 ways also. Altogether making 12 ways.
And finally,if S is at the fourth position,R can be at the 1st,2nd or 3rd position. In each case,the remaining 3 letters can be arranged in 6 ways. Altogether making 18 ways.

Please note that I only considered cases where R may be to the left of S as against the condition given.
If you add up all the different arrangements that can be against the rule(i.e where R is at the left side of S),you get 6+12+18 = 36 arrangements.

Therefore out of the 96 ways gotten earlier,only (96-36) ways will always have R at the right side of S(as stated in the question). Hence,answer equals 60 ways.

So,where is my recharge card

grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 13, 2013
jaryeh:

Oga mi,I just go buy land for Mars ni o. You know say heaven and earth go soon pass away. cheesy

As per the question,I will take a better look at it when I get home in less than two hours' time.

So you spent a million years just to go to mars, buy land and to return?

Well, let's say you spent x years in mars arguing with omo onile and stuff. That means you spent the remaining (10^6 - x) years travelling through space? It further confirms that your journey to/from Mars took approximately 0.5(10^6 - x) years!

Now, average distance between Earth and Mars is 225 million km.... I'm hungry already!

On a serious note now, you need to visit this thread once in a while. Others - aysuccess99, busuyem, akpos4uall, etc. - do that. We need people like you to spice things up here. Bring in questions... Solve questions...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by akpos4uall(m): 9:28am On Dec 13, 2013
Laplacian:
what u have reasoned is correct because the arrangement is symmetrical....it follows immediately that we have deceitfully proved that;

{summation i=1 to n-1}
(n-2)P(i-1)*(n-i)!=n!/2

Can somebody prove this for us?

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.