Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,912 members, 7,980,248 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 09:42 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (497262 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2013
Where are the mathematical doctors?, It seems like we got limited diseases to treat,wow, that's great..we hope for a healthy mathematical thread...we need more female doctors.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Idenyijoshua(m): 5:53pm On Oct 21, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Alright I'm gonna post a question and no matter how simple it appears just try to solve it! I'm not joking here. As far as it isn't x+1=2, that counts right?
Question: As they say, beggars can't be choosers. A beggar is able to make one cigarette out of every six cigarette butts he finds. After a day of perusing and ransacking public ashtrays, he finds a total of 72 cigarette butts. How many cigarettes can the beggar make and smoke from the butts he found?
P.S: even if you think this is still a joke, at least you know the solution won't take time, chacha!! grin
He can make 12 cigerates but it wasn't mentioned if he(the begger) smokes.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 5:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 6:07pm On Oct 21, 2013
....d sum of d digits of a 2-digit number is 12, find d number if d produt of its digits must be a maximum...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 6:10pm On Oct 21, 2013
...d sum of d digits of a 2-digit number is nine...find d number if it must b a maximum...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 6:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
doubleDx:

It's crazy really, I'm still on it....will post mine today or tomorrow! Sorry to y'all for what happened between Alpha & I! 1luv
*feels so happy*
Alright dear.

I dey expect your solution ooo

**rolls my mat on the floor of the thread and lies down on it, and with phone in my hand, refreshing the page** cheesy cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by MrCalculus(m): 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=Alpha Maximus]Alright I'm gonna post a question and no matter how simple it appears just try to solve it! I'm not joking here. As far as it isn't x+1=2, that counts right?
Question: As they say, beggars can't be choosers. A beggar is able to make one cigarette out of every six cigarette butts he finds. After a day of perusing and ransacking public ashtrays, he finds a total of 72 cigarette butts. How many cigarettes can the beggar make and smoke from the butts he found?[\quote]12 it is
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
Laplacian: ...d sum of d digits of a 2-digit number is nine...find d number if it must b a maximum...

The number is 10x+y

The problem is
maximize F(x,y)= 10x+y
subject to x+y=9
10>x,y > 0 integers
you may use Lagrange multiplier method.

solve and you'll get x=5 or 4, y=4 or 5. Thus, the number is 54 or 45. Sorry, I am quite busy.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
Laplacian: ....d sum of d digits of a 2-digit number is 12, find d number if d produt of its digits must be a maximum...
The number too is 10x+y

the problem is
Maximize F(x,y)=xy
subject to x+y=12
0<=x,y<10.

You may use the Lagrange multiplier method to solve.

carefully solving it yields x=6, y=6.

Thus, the number is 66.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by lanrexlan(m): 8:03pm On Oct 21, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Alright I'm gonna post a question and no matter how simple it appears just try to solve it! I'm not joking here. As far as it isn't x+1=2, that counts right?
Question: As they say, beggars can't be choosers. A beggar is able to make one cigarette out of every six cigarette butts he finds. After a day of perusing and ransacking public ashtrays, he finds a total of 72 cigarette butts. How many cigarettes can the beggar make and smoke from the butts he found?
P.S: even if you think this is still a joke, at least you know the solution won't take time, chacha!! grin
Make 12 and smoke 6,Am I wrong or right?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:06pm On Oct 21, 2013
jackpot: The number too is 10x+y

the problem is
Maximize F(x,y)=xy
subject to x+y=12
0<=x,y<10.

You may use the Lagrange multiplier method to solve.

carefully solving it yields x=6, y=6.

Thus, the number is 66.
correct....ur workin plz...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:07pm On Oct 21, 2013
jackpot:

The number is 10x+y

The problem is
maximize F(x,y)= 10x+y
subject to x+y=9
10>x,y > 0 integers
you may use Lagrange multiplier method.

solve and you'll get x=5 or 4, y=4 or 5. Thus, the number is 54 or 45. Sorry, I am quite busy.
...workin plz...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
Alpha Maximus: ....*brings out intecontinental ballistic missile of WRONG and blasts lanrexlan!!!*.....the no he can make is the same no he can smoke!!! Its not 12 though!! Appreciated attempt!! Any of our self-acclaimed generals wanna try out the 'simple' question before I finally post the solution? *alantas spiritually back to amala* cheesy grin
....wat's ur motive 4 bringin dis questn up?...promote knowledge or demote ppl?...anybody can post a hundred such questions dat u too cannot answer?...

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:39pm On Oct 21, 2013
...@Math*Generals...any solution 2 Rhydex247's questns?....@Jackpot...ur solution is pretty...our differencies came essentially from our methods of obtainin Ux,Vx..etc...evri other thing are same...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 8:40pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by SirTunechi(f): 9:53pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:03pm On Oct 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by SirTunechi(f): 10:09pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by lanrexlan(m): 10:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
Alpha Maximus: ....*brings out intecontinental ballistic missile of WRONG and blasts lanrexlan!!!*.....the no he can make is the same no he can smoke!!! Its not 12 though!! Appreciated attempt!! Any of our self-acclaimed generals wanna try out the 'simple' question before I finally post the solution? *alantas spiritually back to amala* cheesy grin
**dodges the missilegrin grin**Nice question and thanks for the answer,waiting for more.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by SirTunechi(f): 11:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
Alpha Maximus: I was not looking for any rank o! And you modified it AFTER I posted d solution......about that log 'mistake' , I'm not the first to solve in that way....and its not a riddle seeing as it has an analytical solution which I produced....and why would I look for consolation here, when I already have my A1 in math WAEC and prizes for academic excellence(money included)... grin
gud 4 u
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 11:30pm On Oct 21, 2013
Laplacian: ...@Math*Generals...any solution 2 Rhydex247's questns?....@Jackpot...ur solution is pretty...our differencies came essentially from our methods of obtainin Ux,Vx..etc...evri other thing are same...
pretty or sexy?

As for me, the solution is kinda sexy wink

i must confess, I equally learnt one or two things from the way you began your solution. It is refreshing to note that even though my first step is 100% different from yours, our first partial derivatives (and ultimately), our result essentially remains the same.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 11:58pm On Oct 21, 2013
Laplacian: ...pls Maths Generals i'm so curious 2 knw d relation connectn d derivative Ux and inverse derivative Xu of a PDE...help pls!!!!!!

Given that x,y,z depends on three variables, viz,
x=x(u,v,w), y=y(u,v,w), z=z(u,v,w),
we know that the three transformed equations
u=u(x,y,z), v=v(x,y,z), w=w(x,y,z) is non-degenerate if the Jacobian of the transformation doesn't vanish.

Now, consider the equation
x=x(u,v,w).
Differentiating both sides partially w.r.t. x, we have
1=Xu Ux+ Xv Vx+ Xw Wx

so, the relationship is

Xu*Ux=1-(Xv Vx + Xw Wx)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:06am On Oct 22, 2013
As a corollary to the above.

Assume that x depends on one variable u, viz,
x=x(u).
Differentiating both sides w.r.t. X, we have
1= Xu* Ux
therefore, Ux=1/(Xu).

This is the same as writing du/dx= 1/ (dx/du),
which is the normal relationship between the two, in single variable calculus.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:27am On Oct 22, 2013
jackpot:

Given that x,y,z depends on three variables, viz,
x=x(u,v,w), y=y(u,v,w), z=z(u,v,w),
we know that the three transformed equations
u=u(x,y,z), v=v(x,y,z), w=w(x,y,z) is non-degenerate if the Jacobian of the transformation doesn't vanish.

Now, consider the equation
x=x(u,v,w).
Differentiating both sides partially w.r.t. x, we have
1=Xu Ux+ Xv Vx+ Xw Wx

so, the relationship is

Xu*Ux=1-(Xv Vx + Xw Wx)
tanks...our only 'female Fermat'
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 22, 2013
Laplacian:
tanks...our only 'female Fermat'
.dis1 na even isaac newton o...calculus full dis girl head die....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2013
@miss jackport,i saw your solution yearsterday, i think its infinestesimally void of anomalies, my dear, with the breakthrough of this magnitude,am supremely confident .you could be another katherine okikiolu. Or Grace alele, even better.,i must confess, u r a challenge 2dis thread,just be focus and dnt allow all doz boys decieve u,(i really amire smart ladies..esp in science/mathematics) kudus to u once more....please teach us more...cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (284) (Reply)

Jamb Result Checker 2012/2013 – UTME Result Checker / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.