Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,380 members, 7,978,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:06 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (497003 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 7:47pm On Oct 31, 2013
jackpot:
for n>=6, subject of the formula may not be possible.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:30am On Nov 01, 2013
jackpot: Here comes the full solution in PDF format.

already downloaded it? I need your reviews

Hi jackpot, could you re-post your approach to that paraboloidal problem? Or FWD it to me here: doubledx9ja(at)gmail.com, I want to cool down and go through it. Was kinda busy, I glanced through it once but did not save it on my PC.

I see you guys devouring Math problems here....Kudos to all the active generals and doctors on the thread! Keep it going people, the thread is getting interesting by the day. I hail ona wella!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Calculusfx: 6:44am On Nov 01, 2013
Hmmmmm
Mbahchiboy: still pending.....plz i need answers to dis
...s=a(r^n-1)/(r-1)...s(r-1)=a(r^n-1)...sr-s=ar^n-a...sr-ar^n=s-a...r{s-ar^(n-1)}=s-a....but don't forget that ar^(n-1)=nth term of a gp...r(s-nth)=s-a...then r=(s-a)/(s-nth)....i guess that's the solution to the problem...though the last term wasn't specified in the question.....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 11:14am On Nov 01, 2013
Laplacian:
@d citizen,
her rationalization approach is error-free, i suggest u use brackets in ur solutions to avoid ambiguity....
...though ur answer is correct but ur 'argument' does not justify u because ur transition (cos@) to d complex domain (e^i@) also changes d condition r<1 to |r|<1...
Hi Sir Laplacian

The answer I gave in limit form may or may not exist. I dey even suspect d thing sef cheesy

let @=pi

So, are we saying that
cospi+cos2pi+cos3pi+. . .= - 1/2
based on d citizen's result?

Let's examine this series.

Now, hope you know that
cos pi+cos 2pi+cos 3pi+cos 4pi+. . .
=-1+1-1+1-1+. . .

Now some may argue that
-1+1-1+1-1+. . .=(-1+1)+(-1+1)+(-1+1)+. . .
=0+0+0+. . .
=0

Some may equally argue that
-1+1-1+1-1+. . .=-1+(1-1)+(1-1)+(1-1)+. . .
=-1+0+0+0+. . .
=-1

But a series converges if and only if the sequence of partial sums converge.
Combine this with the statement:
"A sequence converges if and only if the subsequential limit set is a singleton."

but the sequence of partal sums is
{-1, 0, -1, 0, -1, 0, -1, . . .}
and the subsequential limit set is {-1, 0}, which is not a singleton.

And as such, the series
cospi+cos2pi+cos3pi+cos4pi+. . .
is not summable(i.e., does not converge.)

Have you heard of Cesaro summability? A series which doesn't converge may still be Cesaro summable. The Cesàro sum of an infinite series is the limit of the arithmetic mean (average) of the first n partial sums of the series, as n goes to infinity.

It turns out that the series -1+1-1+1-1+. . .
is Cesaro-summable to -1/2 (average of the two results 0 and -1)

so, the actual way to put it is that the series
cos@+cos2@+cos3@+. . .
is not summable(i.e., does not converge), but may be Cesaro summable

Now, I hope we all know that a necessary condition for a series to converge is that the n-th term of the series converges to zero.(equivalently, the tail of a convergent series is arbitrary small)

Now, the nth term of the series
cos @+cos2@+cos3@+ . . .
is cos n@, and clearly cos n@ doesn't go to zero as n goes to infinity. In fact, it "dances" between -1 and 1

so my dears and sweeries, I'm officially changing my stand on this issue. Thank God I corrected my self by my self cheesy cheesy cheesy pun intended lol

current stand

The series
cos@+cos2@+cos3@+. . .
is not summable(i.e., it doesn't converge) since its nth term doesn't go to zero.

if @=2k pi for some integers k, then the series equals +ve infinity. In this case, it is not Cesaro summable.

If @ is not an integral multiple of 2pi, then the series equally doesn't converge, but oscillates. In this case, it may be Cesaro summable.

yours trustfully kiss wink

JACKPOT. cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 11:25am On Nov 01, 2013
True act of a guru ready to learn, ready to teach @jackpot

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
Richiez: True act of a guru ready to learn, ready to teach @jackpot

You can say that again bruv!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by pickabeau1: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
Excellent work jackpot

Welldone Gurus...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by rhydex247(m): 12:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
@ laplacian u mean the question. Let W be a subspace of real space R^3. give a geometrical description of W in terms of its dimension.
solution.
W is a subset of R^3.
dimW is less than or equal to 3.
If dimension W=0 ----> a point on a real line.
If dimension W=1----> W is a line through the origin.
If dimension W=2----> W is a plane that passes through the origin.
If dimension W=3----> W is an entire space of R^3.
Hence dim(U intersection W)= dim(u)+dim(w)-dim(u+w). All is well.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by statusnet(m): 1:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hello, I got admission to Unilag (computer engineering) and I was wondering what engineering math book I can buy to keep me busy ?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jaybee3(m): 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
statusnet: Hello, I got admission to Unilag (computer engineering) and I was wondering what engineering math book I can buy to keep me busy ?
KA Stroud
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 1:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
doubleDx:

Hi jackpot, could you re-post your approach to that paraboloidal problem? Or FWD it to me here: doubledx9ja(at)gmail.com, I want to cool down and go through it. Was kinda busy, I glanced through it once but did not save it on my PC.

I see you guys devouring Math problems here....Kudos to all the active generals and doctors on the thread! Keep it going people, the thread is getting interesting by the day. I hail ona wella!
done, Sir cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
jackpot: done, Sir cool cool cool

Received. Thanks ma'am!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hmm, great work...am watching a movie now. "fringe"...just came to say hi.....c y'll all later....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by statusnet(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
jay bee:
KA Stroud

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
jackpot: done, Sir cool cool cool

The formulae pages I scanned are from Murray R. Spiegel Mathematical Handbook (Page 126 & 127). Got some ideas from Advanced Engineering Math by HK Dass and some other materials from my Cousin. You authored Advanced Calculus? You are something else....

You can download a soft copy of M R Spiegel's book here :

Download here, It's 43MB in pdf format.

You are a genius jackpot!! You are a female?

Damn, still going through your solution. It's self explanatory and sexier than mine! Lovely....I went with the Cartesian all the way!

Cool, thumbs up babe!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 4:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
@statusnet,

I studied mechanical engineering but i have a very strong passion for mathematics,

Here are my recommended texts for engineering mathematics

engineering and advanced engineering mathematics by k A stroud (self explanatory but limit ur math knowledge)

Schaum outlines or series for the following topics:

1.differential equation
2. Partial differential equation
3: numerical analysis.
4. Advanced mathematics for engineer.
5 vector analysis
6: laplace transformation
7.discrete mathematics
8. Advanced calculus
9: trigonometry (if you intend to master mathematics and engineering mathematics)

advanced engineering mathematics by hk dass (broaden ur mathematical prowess)

For pure mathematics,

1. Pure mathematics by backhouse vol1 and 2
2. Pure mathematics by bleckery.
3. Pure mathematics by bouday
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dcitizen1: 4:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
@Jackpot,

Is it true dat u authored an advanced calculus? I am very impressed that a lady like you still have a deep seated passion for mathematics and ur style of analysis is out of this world. Also, u dazzle my brain wit ur mathematical approach considering dat you are a female. There is one question i need to ask you: are u a graduate or an undergraduate of mathematics. Jst keep the good job up and i will always watch ur back. you really qualify as a math military police and i hope u arenot desperately looking for a way to courtmartial me and sentence me to the math galo. Lol. The five star general.

Email me ur working of the parabolic problem at francisakwari@hotmail.com for my perusal.

Cos@ -1/2 (1-cos@)is still equal to -1/2.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by statusnet(m): 11:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
d citizen:
@statusnet,

I studied mechanical engineering but i have a very strong passion for mathematics,

Here are my recommended texts for engineering mathematics

engineering and advanced engineering mathematics by k A stroud (self explanatory but limit ur math knowledge)

Schaum outlines or series for the following topics:

1.differential equation
2. Partial differential equation
3: numerical analysis.
4. Advanced mathematics for engineer.
5 vector analysis
6: laplace transformation
7.discrete mathematics
8. Advanced calculus
9: trigonometry (if you intend to master mathematics and engineering mathematics)

advanced engineering mathematics by hk dass (broaden ur mathematical prowess)

For pure mathematics,

1. Pure mathematics by backhouse vol1 and 2
2. Pure mathematics by bleckery.
3. Pure mathematics by bouday

Noted, Thanks smiley Is it available in pdf ?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mbahchiboy(m): 11:25am On Nov 02, 2013
Calculusf(x):
Hmmmmm...s=a(r^n-1)/(r-1)...s(r-1)=a(r^n-1)...sr-s=ar^n-a...sr-ar^n=s-a...r{s-ar^(n-1)}=s-a....but don't forget that ar^(n-1)=nth term of a gp...r(s-nth)=s-a...then r=(s-a)/(s-nth)....i guess that's the solution to the problem...though the last term wasn't specified in the question.....
ya it wasnt specified....
and besides i dont want any assumption by saying ar"|n-1] is nth term in the solution......need u to use all the letters given
i dont even know how u got ar"|n-1| were" is raise to power cause it is not in the ques
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 12:32pm On Nov 02, 2013
Mbahchiboy: ya it wasnt specified....
and besides i dont want any assumption by saying ar"|n-1] is nth term in the solution......need u to use all the letters given
i dont even know how u got ar"|n-1| were" is raise to power cause it is not in the ques
This is how he obtained ar^(n-1), study the example below:
Suppose we have 2^4 +100 and we are instructed to factor out '2' without expanding '2^4', we'll have 2(2^3+50)
And 2^3=2^(4-1) compare this to the factorisation executed by Calculusf(x) and you'll see its totally legit
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 03, 2013
this angle is great on the whole circle of nairaland.!

Nice job mathematicians.

Just joining the house but find it highly interestng.

Someone should please get this done:

for some fixed number k,let W be a set of all real valued functns for which f(6)=k.
Are there any values of k for which W will be a subspace of F[a,b] with a=< 6 =<b?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 11:35am On Nov 03, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Well, mathematically speaking, if there's an assumption that Nairaland is a circle, then the Nairaland Mathematics Clinic would be a SECTOR, owing to the fact that a circle is not the only plane shape possessing angles, for all we know, Nairaland could be a dodecagon!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy...That makes the details less ambiguous.....No offence meant.....Abeg who knows what topic Jauntee02's question is under? Lemme study it ASAP!! grin* skelewu's back to t.v*
...linear algebra./ abract math. /abract algebra..
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Well, mathematically speaking, if there's an assumption that Nairaland is a circle, then the Nairaland Mathematics Clinic would be a SECTOR, owing to the fact that a circle is not the only plane shape possessing angles, for all we know, Nairaland could be a dodecagon!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy...That makes the details less ambiguous.....No offence meant.....Abeg who knows what topic Jauntee02's question is under? Lemme study it ASAP!! grin* skelewu's back to t.v*

abstract algebra-vector spaces- subspaces
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:32pm On Nov 03, 2013
benbuks: ...linear algebra./ abract math. /abract algebra..
jauntee02:

abstract algebra-vector spaces- subspaces
....Alright guyz i got it. Thanks grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 04, 2013
in addition to the yet unsolved question, find (x,y) in the simultan...s equatn
0x + 0y = 0
0x + 0y = 0

happi solving...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 9:23am On Nov 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 11:30am On Nov 04, 2013
Hey guys, When did the Title of this thread change? I don look for am tire.. good to be back... Richiez, Doubledx.. I sight all y'all...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 04, 2013
echibuzor: Hey guys, When did the Title of this thread change? I don look for am tire.. good to be back... Richiez, Doubledx.. I sight all y'all...

Welcome back Chief General echibuzor...hailings, it's been a while! Hope all is good with you?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
Where is master honey na?...av bin tryin 2 locate the the physics thread.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
benbuks: Where is master honey na?...av bin tryin 2 locate the the physics thread.
i de-activated my honey account, this is my second acct.

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (284) (Reply)

Jamb Result Checker 2012/2013 – UTME Result Checker / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.