Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,725 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:21 AM

What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? (1855 Views)

What's The Big Deal About First Body Of A Car / My Funny Experience Learning How To Drive In Lagos / What's The Big Deal About bank or Banker's Used Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
I've heard 'professional drivers' sneer at those who learnt driving, using automatic cars or drive them. They claim automatic cars were designed for the handicapped.
I find such claims laughable. Manual cars are being phased out in developed countries, yet we glory here about driving them.
I tell people I can't buy manual cars or drive them for anything. Why punish myself and live in retrogression? I only drive auto. Big deal?

1 Like

Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 01, 2013
bamto: I've heard 'professional drivers' sneer at those who learnt driving, using automatic cars or drive them. They claim automatic cars were designed for the handicapped.
I find such claims laughable. Manual cars are being phased out in developed countries, yet we glory here about driving them.
I tell people I can't buy manual cars or drive them for anything. Why punish myself and live in retrogression? I only drive auto. Big deal?

It's no big deal. Just that you can't really drive if you learn with an auto tranny. If you learn with auto, you won't even be able to move a manual car from a spot but someone that learnt with manual would drive an auto tranny conveniently. Soon, auto drivers would be given a different type of licence grin

manual cars are not being phased out, they are still being manufactured in Large quantity for the European markets.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 9:34am On Jan 03, 2013
saxywale:

It's no big deal. Just that you can't really drive if you learn with an auto tranny. If you learn with auto, you won't even be able to move a manual car from a spot but someone that learnt with manual would drive an auto tranny conveniently. Soon, auto drivers would be given a different type of licence grin

manual cars are not being phased out, they are still being manufactured in Large quantity for the European markets.
I know a couple of people who learnt with manual, and find it difficult driving auto. U see them pressing an imaginary clutch or not knowing which leg to use on the break. I've driven manual a couple of times and for sure, if I drive it for a week, I'll master it. But I'm not just up for that hard labour they call driving.
Point is: let he who eats only meat not make jest of he who eats only fish. Protein na protein. And besides fish is more nutritious than meat! U get my point?
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 03, 2013
I learnt to drive (and passed my driving test) in a manual. Driving an automatic has never presented any issues to me. Humans adapt, and if switching from manual to auto causes issues for a driver, then he / she hasn't mastered an automobile.

As for hard work, I don't see manual as difficult to drive. I merely see an incompetent driver with poor leg coordination, and one who can't multi-task.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 11:25am On Jan 03, 2013
Not 'difficult' my friend, but u exert more energy. Obviously, u don't frequent a traffic jam zone.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 03, 2013
bamto: Not 'difficult' my friend, but u exert more energy. Obviously, u don't frequent a traffic jam zone.

Do you know that for sure, or are you simply making an assumption? As per exerting energy, you exert more doing normal day-to-day stuff - walking, climbing stairs, making love to your partner etc.

If the clutch pedal on a manual is that stiff, then there's something wrong somewhere. wink
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 3:40pm On Jan 03, 2013
Noted.
But would you honestly say you exert similar amount of energy driving auto and manual cars, especially within a busy commercial town?
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 03, 2013
bamto: Noted.
But would you honestly say you exert similar amount of energy driving auto and manual cars, especially within a busy commercial town?

That's the very point I'm trying to get across, Bro. I don't feel I've used any more or less energy, regardless of what I've driven, and traffic conditions. I do however find I get bored driving an auto, it's just not involving enough fo me to appreciate.

1 Like

Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by abdulkadir(m): 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
Siena:

That's the very point I'm trying to get across, Bro. I don't feel I've used any more or less energy, regardless of what I've driven, and traffic conditions. I do however find I get bored driving an auto, it's just not involving enough fo me to appreciate.
No comments. U said my mind.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
bamto: I've heard 'professional drivers' sneer at those who learnt driving, using automatic cars or drive them. They claim automatic cars were designed for the handicapped.

dont lie to people most car in europe are manuals

its the opposite when you learn to drive with automatic you wont be able to drive a manual but learn to drive with a manual its easy to drive auto the only adjustment is on applying the brakes
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by billionman: 11:58am On Jan 04, 2013
I learnt driving with an auto tranny and I didn't have any difficulty riding a manual cos b4 I took up a manual I've done done theoretical work on how to drive a manual tranny and watch drivers whenever I sit close to a driver. Now I drive both auto and manual randomly. The truth is that you exert more pressure with the manual especially in traffic. And with the auto, it's like you are too relax while driving and it feels like you are not involved in the control of somethings (guess you know what I mean) like manipulating the gear system to your taste.

Manual cars are not phasing out please. As you rightly said, fish or meat, let everyone enjoy the one he likes most and not despise the other.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 11:50pm On Jan 04, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

dont lie to people most car in europe are manuals

its the opposite when you learn to drive with automatic you wont be able to drive a manual but learn to drive with a manual its easy to drive auto the only adjustment is on applying the brakes
Really? Where did you get your statistics from? I'm very much interested.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 11:57pm On Jan 04, 2013
billion_man: I learnt driving with an auto tranny and I didn't have any difficulty riding a manual cos b4 I took up a manual I've done done theoretical work on how to drive a manual tranny and watch drivers whenever I sit close to a driver. Now I drive both auto and manual randomly. The truth is that you exert more pressure with the manual especially in traffic. And with the auto, it's like you are too relax while driving and it feels like you are not involved in the control of somethings (guess you know what I mean) like manipulating the gear system to your taste.

Manual cars are not phasing out please. As you rightly said, fish or meat, let everyone enjoy the one he likes most and not despise the other.
You've spoken well. Guess Siena is in a class of his own. I think its just logical to assume using a leg will be less energy-sapping than using both legs. I understand if you want to 'feel' you are in charge and control. That's a different ball game.
As for manual cars being phased out, I believe its so in certain climes. Comparatively too, in most terrains in Europe, don't autos outnumber manual cars on the roads?
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:09am On Jan 05, 2013
bamto:
Really? Where did you get your statistics from? I'm very much interested.

ask anyone is europe
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by bamto(m): 2:08pm On Jan 05, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

ask anyone is europe
Well, that won't help much. Infact, they tell me just the opposite.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2013
bamto:

i live in uk and i travel around europe for your own infor go around EU car sale websites you find that most cars are manual

you see the difference you are being told whereas me i see them with my own eyes and fix them too

and most people dont even want auto becoz more than half of the mechanics can fix manual gearboxes and few specilises in auto gearbox and are expensive
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 08, 2013
Manual transmissions are not popular with north americans- the number of vehicles being offered with it have been on the decline for years now in that region. In europe, the manuals are still in great demand...even jaguar is thinking of re-introducing manuals in all their vehicles except the XJ sedan. Manuals can be a pain in the neck in heavy stop-and-go traffic. A lot of modern day automatics are now faster than their manual equivalents- take the case of the f10 bmw M5 for instance,the dual-clutch auto variants are significantly faster than those equipped with the 6spd manual trannys. Its good to know that some carmakers still consider the 'stick-shifting' crowd- all aston martins with the exception of the rapide saloon have manual options, Other interesting vehicles with stick options include the ferrari california,pagani zonda and Audi R8.
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by paulschild: 3:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by paulschild: 3:29pm On Jan 09, 2013
manual cars are still in high demand in europ
Re: What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? by cmax16: 11:19pm On Jan 09, 2013
bamto:

I feel compelled to contribute. Never lay claim to anything if you don't have first hand experience. considering you learnt with an auto, i don't expect you to come out here and say "hey! manual is the best!" but let me tell you, you are likely to find as many vehicle in manual tranny as an auto in Europe. I can not say the ratio exactly, but a simple search on autotrader.co.uk on vehicles would show you the picture. for the records, i live in the UK.

I learnt to drive with a manual shaft, have never looked but since then. I can drive an auto without any ado. Meanwhile, in the UK, you are not permitted to drive a manual car if you hold an automatic license, you would be deemed to have broken the law. But with a manual license, you are allowed to drive an automatic car...tells it all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Army Green Cars On Nigerian Roads / Lubex Fully Synthetic Engine Oil / Stolen Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.