Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,204 members, 7,873,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:51 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (471059 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:44pm On May 24, 2007
dude thats strange since i've been using ubuntu gcc comes with it. By the way what version and edition are you using cause even on the install gcc is usually present.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 10:44am On May 25, 2007
I'm using the latest version available on the ubuntu site.

Maybe stripping the developer tools is a new 'feature' in this release.

And gcc isnt even available on the default add-remove programs

u have to apt-get developer-related or something like that to resolve the billions of dependencies that would result from a manual isntall

for those of us that dont have 24-7 internet access, apt-get is, sorry to say, useless. Ive always preferred make && make install which is the proper unix way of doing things.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:14pm On May 25, 2007
thats quite strange i don't use apt-get directly i use apt- get i use synaptics but even now i checked my live disc and under /media/cdrom0/pool/main/g gcc 4 was there so man put in your installation cd in ubuntu ad check for gcc its there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 9:24am On May 26, 2007
those are the libs, dude. Without those your os wont even work.

To really test, just start up a virgin ubuntu and type 'make' at a terminal prompt.

if u get an error message, u dont have gcc. Thats the case with the latest ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:46pm On May 26, 2007
guy i refuse to accept that ubuntu doesn't come with gcc and those aren't libs they are gcc debs man i have kubuntu 7.04 i386
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 10:48am On May 27, 2007
OK, i guess its time to whip out the EVIDENCE.

I use ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso

read THIS thread:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522

just one of the places where I went to discover that the seemingly inexplicable omission of simple MAKE was not an error, but on purpose!

notice that this guy's solution does not include how he isntallled java and gcc. The fact that hes still getting errors should show you that he did it WRONGLY. wrongly means he did it in the standard linux way. UBUNTU requires you to use APT to download a CRAPLOAD of dependencies before GCC works properly to compile downloaded tar.gz's.

Now even after doing that wahala I STILL needed to get kernel source headers KERNEL SOURCE HEADERS FOR SWEET JESUS SAKES because those idiots omitted them.

Once more the net saved me from corrupting my install, simply downloading the source headers from linux.org would have hosed my ubuntu install to death. I ahd to use, yes, you got it! APT to go and download ubuntu's special patched kernel source headers.

All requiring an internet connection! Why? why? WHY? must you have internet to use ubuntu?!?!?!?!?

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:24pm On May 27, 2007
okay i used kubuntu 6.06 and i didn't have an internet connection and i was able to compile , i compiled k mobile tools, wine and some other things i never knew that there's something called linux headers until i used ubuntu christmas edition when i needed 3d support for my nvidia card
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 8:29am On May 28, 2007
when you say you were able to compile, are you talking about make && make install?

besides, we are talking about UBUNTU not KUBUNTU. Have never used kubuntu, by the way.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:37am On May 28, 2007
i guess that solves it as i used kubuntu and was able to do make and make install
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:59pm On Jun 12, 2007
On sunday my uncle asked me if i used antivirus and i said no, as he wanted to know if his flash had viruses or not. So i simply plugged it in and luckly he had no virus in it but i noticed a strange file it was in docx format i opened the it and saw xml i thought it was a virus that corrupted it but i found out from him that it was just the new doc format so then the search for how to open Word 2007 Documents(.docx) in Ubuntu began. Follow this simple steps and you'll be able to open and save in this format. This is aimed at beginners

1.Go to http://download.novell.com/SummaryFree.jsp?buildid=ESrjfdE4U58%7E download odf-converter-1.0.0-5.i586.rpm

2.Open synaptics and search for alien, nautilus-gksu and install

3.Log-out and login again

4.Open a terminal and type in sudo alien -d '/home/wale/odf-converter-1.0.0-5.i586.rpm'
replace wale with your home directory e.g /home/sola/
Then wait for it to generate the debian package and simply close and install it from your home directory

5.Open nautilus and enter this address /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program and copy file named OdfConverter to /usr/lib/openoffice/program/
Then open /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter, copy file MOOXFilter_cpp.xcu to
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/
Then /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Types and copy MOOXTypeDetection.xcu to
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Types/ and close and open the open office program

now you can read and write the new doc format

This article was curbed from http://geekhacks..com/2007/05/working-with-word-2007-documentsdocx-in.html but with little modifications

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by shockreaction(m): 10:13pm On Jun 13, 2007
The default Ubuntu install doesn't include the gcc compiler. You need to install a package called build-essential using
sudo apt-get install build-essential

or through the Synaptic Package Manager to get up and running.

I'm currently running Feisty (7.04) and I must say, Ubuntu has come a very long way. I actually like it now. Makes a lot of tasks easier, and then there's a lot of community support and such. Good stuff. Once Wine can properly handle Windows games (and it looks like this will be happening very soon), I'll be ditching my Windows installation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 8:33am On Jun 14, 2007
Yeah, i wonder why they did something so braindead.

Perhaps they want to discourage the use of source packages and encourage the use of synaptics.

Ironically, everyone installing ubuntu in a VMware VM is going to encounter this flaw.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kayodus(m): 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2007
Ubutu -- Linux for africans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:39am On Jun 18, 2007
Hello my people how una dey now? Afo how far now? I hop[e u burn that christmas edition cos my own is no longer working i tried installing it but gave a lot of headache before i use test it for defect and it failed so am still using that Suse and windoze and moreover i have written that suse image to cd so am having a good copy wit me now. When are u coming to my side again or i meet u @ village to collect it if u burn it. Let me know. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:59am On Jun 18, 2007
i have the iso's on my computer i'll burn it soon
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 8:42am On Jun 18, 2007
This is for the guy wey dey shout say ubuntu does not come with Gcc by default u're right but where u are wrong is that its not included in the cd just like Afolabi told u. Its there and have used it before firstly add ur cdrom to ur respository then from the terminal run this 'sudo apt-get install gcc' and e don finish. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 10:01am On Jun 18, 2007
That will install just gcc and not the full set of build-essentials.

What I need is the ability to build source packages so I can install kernel modules. If that sounds like technical jargon, understand that these simple tasks:

a) running ubuntu in vmware
b) installing nvidia drivers

Require that capability.

It was silly for them to leave it out. Most linux distros come with it. *shrug*
Re: Ubuntu Linux by chiwob(m): 10:54am On Jun 18, 2007
hello ubuntu is great but for those of you that want more 4rm Linux Try pc linux 2007 is my favorite it is easy to use look,s more like win xp same setting and much more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2007
even build essentials is on the cd
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 2:18pm On Jun 18, 2007
ubuntu or kubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by donan(m): 3:15pm On Jun 18, 2007
Hey guys, i have a problem with ndiswrapper on my fedora core 5. when i run ndiswrapper it says ndiswrapper is not recognised as a command. I really want to browse on my linux partition but it is not responding.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:58pm On Jun 18, 2007
ubuntu and kubuntu are d same build essentials should be on both cd's i'll check 2confirm as soon as oga nepa restores powers. @Donan do u have ndsiwrapper installed ? and by d way fedora 5 is old try and get the new 7 just download it. it comes as a single cd now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 6:02pm On Jun 18, 2007
check, abeg.

ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:30pm On Jun 18, 2007
They both come with build essentials

/media/cdrom1/pool/main/b/build-essential

PS Seun Since sunday i've not been able to upload pictures it say The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. Please can u fix this thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by donan(m): 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2007
@adewale were ca i download it. yes ndiswrapper is installed but when i run it i receive a message that says, ndiswrapper is not recognized as a command
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:12am On Jun 19, 2007
try google.com and search for fedora website
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 3dhunter(m): 7:39pm On Jun 20, 2007
i would like a free ubuntu cd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by naijaguru(m): 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2007
Help!

I got Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, but not working on my monitor! I tried a previous version too but same problem. I figured out I must configre the resolution in Xorg or something but I dont know how.

Any help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2007
why not post your computer specs monitor type graphic card and attach a copy of your xorg
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:14pm On Jun 20, 2007
why not post your computer specs monitor type graphic card and attach a copy of your xorg
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bada1(m): 12:02pm On Jun 21, 2007
Just got my ubuntu sent 2 me. it is the 7.04 edition.

I am using a HP 510 laptop with windows preinstalled and the it comes with a recovery partition. I am thinking should i create a separate partition like say 8Gb so that i can install the ubuntu so that i can learn Linux cause i know it is going 2 be the next big thing soon.

Would the installation of ubuntu cause any problem with the recovery partition ?

In case i have a problem with ma lappie and i need 2 recover it with the recovery partition, i heard it might not work cause it is not good 2 have more than one OS on the same disk space as the one containing the recovery partition. NOTE I have made a backup of the recovery partition on DVD so should i delete it although HP strongly condemns it.

All the techies in the house i need ur help on this one cause i really want to blend int the world of LINUX!!

And please anybody in the house with a copy of partition magic to spare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2007
U don't need to use partition margic. ubuntu installer comes with a partitioning tool. just choose use free continuous space if you have the option. and incase u have any problem holla moi

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.