Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,853 members, 7,930,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 12:55 PM

Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. (6142 Views)

PUNCTUALITY: It's IMPORTANCE And How To Get Rid Of The Habit Of Lateness / Samuel Oghale Oboh The 76th President Of Royal Architectural Institute Of Canada / The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2013
I'll like to introduce or better still refresh the minds of nairalanders on the issue of Architectural Model making and its importance.

An architectural model maker builds scale models of buildings drafted by architects. Scale models are necessary for obtaining practical information with regard to what the building will look like when finished, how much sunlight will come in the
windows and how the building will fit in with its surroundings.

In the world of architecture, interior design,landscape architecture and town planning, models have been used for ages. Models used to be built in
architects’ offices by architects and draughtsmen.
More recently, model building has developed into a profession of its own, with developers realising the true value and advantage of scale models.

Model makers interpret and transpose architects’drawings into three-dimensional reproductions.
Models constructed are to specific scales and the materials used imitate the proposed building materials. The miniature constructions enable architects to present developers or owners with concrete examples of proposed buildings or projects.

Architectural model makers construct different types of models to depict particular features of the building. These include: block models, semi-detailed or working models, fully detailed models and interior models.

Having graduated for some years now without having a suitable job in Nigeria (not a new story though), I took to my hobby back in the days which is architectural model making, it's fun to do though very tideous but it does sell, as I get contracts to design models for potential property developers and get well paid for the job well done, below are some of my models made recently, I'll also like to encourage other model makers here on nairaland to display their model works here as we can reason together and develop our career better.

1 Like

Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 1:05pm On Jan 04, 2013
Although i'm not an architect.i intend to study architecture.Your information here is very useful.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 1:29pm On Jan 04, 2013
Here are the pictures.

Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 1:33pm On Jan 04, 2013
Idrismusty97: Although i'm not an architect.i intend to study architecture.Your information here is very useful.

I am a Town planner by profession, but have a fair knowledge on architecture since our disciplines are interrelated and inter-studied within the environmental science field. It will also please you to know that you don't have to study architecture in school or be an architect in order to be an architectural model maker, all you need know is the basics and some other few architectural guidelines.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 2:28pm On Jan 04, 2013
bluebarz:

I am a Town planner by profession, but have a fair knowledge on architecture since our disciplines are interrelated and inter-studied within the environmental science field. It will also please you to know that you don't have to study architecture in school or be an architect in order to be an architectural model maker, all you need know is the basics and some other few architectural guidelines.
Like?
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by PaulJohn1: 2:40pm On Jan 04, 2013
bluebarz:

Nice models there man.
Architecture is more than making beautiful models and having good drafting skills but managing space/void around you and making it function for it identified purpose.
If you don't know the basics of architecture which is making functional and acceptable plan, there is nothing to make model of. It's your efficient design that'll give birth to whatever type of model you want to make.
Modeling is just an end part of a project given, which is only good for presentation work(I.e. Gives your client better understanding of what you've designed for him). I'm not castigating modeling but it's getting out of use(not in institution), why not go for 3D(CAD) to save your time and reduce your stress.

bluebarz: I am a Town planner by profession, but have a fair knowledge on architecture since our disciplines are interrelated and inter-studied within the environmental science field...
Yes you're correct but you should have outlined the differences.
Town planners I guess deals with planning and organization of an Urban center, Architects business is to follow the plan the town planners have made and designing the contents(buildings/structures,) found in the planned town(by the town planners).

Good to have you here though, few environment sciences professionals on this forum.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 2:55pm On Jan 04, 2013
Every firm,engineers and architects are looking towards CAD softwares now for tecnical drawing or modelling.Your models are great! But you need to also have a knowledge of CAD or they will only be consider as ARTWORK. Tanks 4 dis thread.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 5:08pm On Jan 04, 2013
Paul John:

Nice models there man.
Architecture is more than making beautiful models and having good drafting skills but managing space/void around you and making it function for it identified purpose.
If you don't know the basics of architecture which is making functional and acceptable plan, there is nothing to make model of. It's your efficient design that'll give birth to whatever type of model you want to make.
Modeling is just an end part of a project given, which is only good for presentation work(I.e. Gives your client better understanding of what you've designed for him). I'm not castigating modeling but it's getting out of use(not in institution), why not go for 3D(CAD) to save your time and reduce your stress.

Yes you're correct but you should have outlined the differences.
Town planners I guess deals with planning and organization of an Urban center, Architects business is to follow the plan the town planners have made and designing the contents(buildings/structures,) found in the planned town(by the town planners).

Good to have you here though, few environment sciences professionals on this forum.

Thanks for that contribution. I am well skilled in the use of CAD applications (AutoCAD and ArchiCAD) so trying to tutor me on it is appreciated but am way past that level, and on the second note, Town planning is way more than planning the urban centres alone, it deals very much also with the organization of space also (landscaping). I encourage manual model making more than 3D CAD designs because it also serves as a decorative art, it also gives the property designer a good view and understanding of the project when finished more than the 3D CAD design does. Apart from that, its creativity in its finest sense and that is why even in the developed countries, block model making is more encouraged than the 3D CAD designed ones. Thanks all the same for your input, its nice to have a fellow enlightened environmentalist in the house. Thumbs up
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2013
To have both knowledge on CAD and model making is wonderful.What are the requirements for model making and what risks may i take for such a tedious tasks.Tanks.

1 Like

Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Tochex101(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2013
Nice thread,modelling is preety cool and is a gift I believe comes freely and naturally to some people.I've tried my hands at it but the end product wasn't really tidy,I keep on practicing though to become better.I think a green base for d landscapping would come out beautifully to complement d green roof,just my two cents......best wishes
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 10:37pm On Jan 04, 2013
Tochex101: Nice thread,modelling is preety cool and is a gift I believe comes freely and naturally to some people.I've tried my hands at it but the end product wasn't really tidy,I keep on practicing though to become better.I think a green base for d landscapping would come out beautifully to complement d green roof,just my two cents......best wishes
You are right.Maybe i should just stick to d computer design stuffs.I'm not a practical person by nature but stil D knowlege is useful.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 12:04am On Jan 05, 2013
Idrismusty97: To have both knowledge on CAD and model making is wonderful.What are the requirements for model making and what risks may i take for such a tedious tasks.Tanks.

In the world of architecture, interior design,
landscape architecture and town planning, models
have been used for ages. Models used to be built in
architects’ offices by architects and draughtsmen.
More recently, model building has developed into a
profession of its own, with developers realising the
true value and advantage of scale models.
Model makers interpret and transpose architects’
drawings into three-dimensional reproductions.
Models constructed are to specific scales and the
materials used imitate the proposed building
materials. The miniature constructions enable
architects to present developers or owners with
concrete examples of proposed buildings or projects.

Requirements

An architectural model builder should:
- be adept at working with fine detail
- have artistic ability
- have ability to interpret architectural drawings
- have knowledge of maths, to interpret these specifications and drawings
- have ability to visualize two-dimensional drawings
three-dimensionally
- have good sense of form
- be accurate and precise worker
- be able to work in a group
- be handy, with excellent manual and finger dexterity
- have good eyesight
- be healthy
- have a steady hand for finer details
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 12:10am On Jan 05, 2013
Tochex101: Nice thread,modelling is preety cool and is a gift I believe comes freely and naturally to some people.I've tried my hands at it but the end product wasn't really tidy,I keep on practicing though to become better.I think a green base for d landscapping would come out beautifully to complement d green roof,just my two cents......best wishes

Yes you're definitely right, it comes freely to some, just like me. About the green base, it would have really been wise per say but since I wasn't really planning on depicting the full landscape scope of the model I just decided to make it artistically enticing by using the red colour, just like I mentioned earlier also, models serve also as creative artwork which can also be used for decorations. Nice to have you here.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 3:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
It'll be nice having various environmentalists here.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 9:14am On Jan 06, 2013
Thanks bluebars.Modelling may come freely to some but it can be learnt.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 3:27pm On Jan 06, 2013
Idrismusty97: Thanks bluebars.Modelling may come freely to some but it can be learnt.

Yeah that's right @Idrismusty97, what's ur profession?
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 9:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
bluebarz:

Yeah that's right @Idrismusty97, what's ur profession?
I dont have any and i'm stil a student.I have a long way to go.Anyway i intend to pursue architecture as my future profession.i hope it wil b rewarding. smiley
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
sure architecture will be rewarding but remember every achievement is always based on determination, dedication and hard work. Wish you all the best
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Idrismusty97(m): 8:20am On Jan 08, 2013
bluebarz: sure architecture will be rewarding but remember every achievement is always based on determination, dedication and hard work. Wish you all the best
Thanks
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 7:18am On Jan 09, 2013
Ur welcome
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by nulohomes(m): 3:29pm On May 15, 2015
Bluebarz I couldn't agree with you more.
I do worldclass architectural models making for various companies. check out our website, lets rub minds
www.nulohomes.com

We also do 3d renders and 3d printing
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by bluebarz(m): 1:48pm On May 21, 2015
nulohomes:
Bluebarz I couldn't agree with you more.
I do worldclass architectural models making for various companies. check out our website, lets rub minds
www.nulohomes.com
We also do 3d renders and 3d printing

Nice one, just checked it out though couldn't find pictures of finished works. How about adding a gallery tab so your prospective clients can also have a feel of your expertise.
Re: Architectural Model Making.. It's Importance In The Development Industry. by Mattersmiths: 7:54am On Mar 13, 2016
If there is any need to employ 3D printing service in architectural model making, mattersmiths.com is here to help. 3D printing service at its cheapest. Any part of the model that you think will be better 3D printed, please contact us. 08166965315

(1) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Federal Civil Service: Response To Police Salary / How Can A Food Technologist Work In An Oil N Gas Firm / Thread For Quantity Surveyors, Construction Economist, Cost Expert, Com. Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.