Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,858 members, 7,906,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:43 AM

10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. (9049 Views)

Tips To Reduce Your Mobile Data Usage / 4 Ways To Reduce Your Mobile Internet Data Usage With Android Apps / Java Phone Can Minimize Trust Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by Ozegbe(m): 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2013
As we all know the era of unlimited data plan is going, if not gone. If you live in Nigeria, then you must know that to browse the internet apparently cost an arm and a leg. Well, except you dont mind spending more even though you could spend less, you would probably find one of these useful.

So here are quick 10 tips to browse at lower cost......I posted this on my blog but I want to share it here.

1. Get a good browser and customise it to suite your needs. I will recommend opera mini for browsing and ucweb for downloading.
Most times when we browse the internet for information we really just want to get information and not view image, so what I do is turn on/off image on demand. Turn it on when you need to view an image and off if you don't need it, you will save a lots of data mb.

2. Under opera mini settings turn on mobile view, it will save you the hassle of unending loading of pages and painful scroll.

3. Sometimes we have so many applications install on our phone and pc that access the internet without our consent. First when you install an application, go to its settings and disable auto update if it has one. If you have an android device get DROIDWALL. If you have a Nokia smartphone get mobile data tracker, and disable any application you don't want accessing the internet.

4. Are you a heavy data user? and want to do monthly subscription, then AIRTEL network is your best bet for cheaper browsing, just load 1200 and send bsm to 440. You will be given 1gb of data to browse on laptops and phones.

5. Do you have a Nokia symbian device, Samsung phone or tablet, blackberry running Os 7.1? If you do, then you don't necessarily need to subscribe for data plans for all your gadgets. All you need to do is subscribe for one and connect it to the others.
For Nokia get jokuispot premium v3.
For Samsung, HTC, LG or any android devices get WiFi tethering
For blackberry if you have BB running OS 7.1  just go to your connectivity options and click mobile hotspot to switch it on.
Remember, any phone or laptop within range can safely connect and use your data, so always remember to password it through the settings.

6. Bookmark: many people don't use this feature, even though it is present in all browsers. If you bookmarked a page e.g this blog post, you won't have to waste precious mb, time and energy looking for this post through Google, you would simply go to your bookmarked pages and load it. Some links are really difficult to come by, bookmarking such links will save you a great deal of time and of course mb.

7. Saved pages: most times we browse for lectures or assignment on the internet or maybe just read news. If you have browse a page lets say from Wikipedia, what you need do is save it and you can access it even while offline or when you run out of money to subscribe. The difference between bookmarked and saved pages is, for bookmarked you can only access it while online and also you get an updated page, while saved pages can be access both offline and online.

8. Bookmarklet: many people don't know what bookmarklets are. Bookmarklet are little JavaScript that can accomplish great task with one click.  they are available for both pc and phones. An example of what a bookmarklet can do is translate a website from one language to another. Are you browsing a French site, like the advert? and wants an information there? wondering if there is an English version of the site (of course there is)? but wouldn't you want to simply translate the current one to English and save time and mb (dats what we are talking about right) and simply translate the current one with a bookmarklet called Google translate. This and many more will save you lots of data. You can read more on bookmarklet from here and also get a lot of them from here

9. read this Google tricks it will save you lots of data and hours of fruitless surfing with no useful result.

10. Most site have website with designated mobile version. This sites usually have high compression rates and reduced data usage. Most of them usually come like in this format m.sitename.com, e.g m.facebook.com. try to use the mobile site if you want low data usage.

some of the tips actually contain hyperlinks and link to download software e.g the Google tricks. I will post them here later.

Hope you find some of them if not all useful.

Remember knowledge is power.....so keep learning.

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by gbogboti: 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
Very true. Nice tips. I do all that. Good job.
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by Bond008(m): 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2013
thanks a bunch. #peace
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by Francheezy(m): 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
JahbleSS
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by Ozegbe(m): 7:15pm On Jan 04, 2013
Francheezy: JahbleSS
if there were more people like you in the world we wouldn't have gotten this far in technology...
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by jaymichael(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ozegbe:
if there were more people like you in the world we wouldn't have gotten this far in technology...
you are right. I do all that but this airtel 1gig is not enough for me. I had to update my phone and some of my apps this evenin and I used about 100mb. when are we gonna have unlimited data access in this country? I hear if you root your android phone, you can use Mtn blackberry unlimited bis? can anyone help?
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by babarazy: 10:35pm On Jan 04, 2013
jaymichael: you are right. I do all that but this airtel 1gig is not enough for me. I had to update my phone and some of my apps this evenin and I used about 100mb. when are we gonna have unlimited data access in this country? I hear if you root your android phone, you can use Mtn blackberry unlimited bis? can anyone help?
Glo BIS now rock. You can get 3gig for just #1200. Just imagine!.
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by jaymichael(m): 2:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
babarazy: Glo BIS now rock. You can get 3gig for just #1200. Just imagine!.
do i have to root my phone? or I just change the APN to blackberry.net
Re: 10 Ways To Minimize Data Usage While Browsing. by Sadusalam: 9:08am On Jan 06, 2013
Good info

(1) (Reply)

MTN Announces Massive Price Cuts And Free Data / When Her Phone Keeps Saying Line Busy / Infinix Surf Smart X350 Specifications.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.