Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,535 members, 7,905,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 04:25 AM

How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria (14466 Views)

How To Archive Your Dreams In 2015 / ACCION HR; Are They Real? / Top Secrets To Find The Job Of Your Dreams In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by fkaz(m): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2013
As an HR If president jonathan present his qualification and grade to you.
Won't you say the president is a smart guy?

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by meetkris(m): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy:

Abobi, na which House of Assembly dey Abuja?
U understand wetin him talk na.I no fit laff I beg.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by cecegorz(m): 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
pro01:

It's not difficult to see why "HR Personals" insist on certain grades.
Lol.
Most folks still don't understand that it's the little stuff that makes the Big difference.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by ebucha: 12:20pm On Jan 06, 2013
YuzedoII:

Oga Pro, I didn't want to point out those obvious howlers, make dem for no talk say "stick to the issue!", but you don see am! After now, dem go dey demand job for Exxon, Chevron, etc but to write 500 word essay error-free and well structured na rocket science... undecided
and how will error free essay increase their output? In case you don't know, one million profs. Of English no go move our economy one inch further. Learn something productive my dear!

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Alamutatalo: 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2013
Chei!See Nigerian graduates!I weep for this country.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dulphines: 12:32pm On Jan 06, 2013
control_seven:
Nwa baby teacher! U did'nt see that quote ehhhhh!
Saw it clearly. The chap did nt write personals but personal. Quote correctly sir.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by lexzyworld: 12:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
Being an Hr Practitioner, I believe in ability to perform than educational qualification.

There has been an intense agument about experience and educational qualification which should weigh most above the other.

With reference to the topic, I believe the comapny ought to have a recruitmeny and selection policy

This should have cleared the air if their ideal candidate should possess 2.2 or 2.1 grade in the first place to avoid what is been debated now.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dulphines: 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
First class, 2.1 or 2.2 does nt determine personality. One with a 3rd or pass and full of charisma is a lot better than a first class Jewman. If u made a 2:2 or 3rd, forget those companies and their HR bottlenecks and start thinking big.

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by yommy2sure(m): 1:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
For entry level jobs... What else can a company use for selection if not grade, aptitude test, then interview....what company have the time and cost implications of trying out candidates with every grade just for a few opennings.productivity is key in the private sector....no be government job be this bro.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Ijebulogic(m): 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
pro01:
I don't understand why so many Nigerians strut around with a sense of entitlement. Employers can only employ individuals that add value to their organisation. . .

You have said it perfectly!

The OP wants western HR practitioners to show "BLACKS" the way? Very sad and myopic assumption that Western HR will be any more accomodating. FYI, there are many European investment banks with HR departments that only hire graduates from 6 universities world-wide, period. Remember that HR is only the "corporate messenger" of the MD/CEO and are only enforcing what management wants.

5 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dj187: 1:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
When exactly were u all brainwashed into believing dat d best way to earn a living is by securing a job ,I'm a mechanical engineer wit a 2.2, i have also suffered frustrations 4rm d hands of HR personnels until i realised that if i don't build my dreams someone else will pay me to build theirs, now i making some real cash for my self through business and as i expand i intend getting a bigger office & will be needing a HR personnel to render some services in my company while i pay him or her.

2 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dastudent(m): 2:15pm On Jan 06, 2013
dj187: When exactly were u all brainwashed into believing dat d best way to earn a living is by securing a job ,I'm a mechanical engineer wit a 2.2, i have also suffered frustrations 4rm d hands of HR personnels until i realised that if i don't build my dreams someone else will pay me to build theirs, now i making some real cash for my self through business and as i expand i intend getting a bigger office & will be needing a HR personnel to render some services in my company while i pay him or her.

Gbam!
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by igbonla(m): 2:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
One of the big four with no selection policy? And you believed the applicant? Do job adverts leave out required class of degree or the company decided to change the goal post during the game? It does appear that the applicant failed the selection process and had to come up with some silly story to cover up.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by osifred(m): 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
You had 4 to 6 years to prove your worth, don't blame any employer who doesn't give you a second chance. If you were that good you should have proved your worth in school when it mattered.

Just so you know which by the way am not an advocate of such, some companies have a very bureaucratic setting where only 1st class and 2:1 are employed. I once heard of a law firm that employ only graduate of Harvard law school.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by dulphines: 4:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
igbonla: One of the big four with no selection policy? And you believed the applicant? Do job adverts leave out required class of degree or the company decided to change the goal post during the game? It does appear that the applicant failed the selection process and had to come up with some silly story to cover up.
know now that they change the goal post during the game. I experienced that years ago with one of the big oil companies. 4-5 years experience was advertized but after the aptitude and skill test they said they needed trainees below 30yrs instead. It happens when the big wigs want to bring in their candidates then HR personnel comes up with flimzy tales and u blame yourself for nonperformance. The HR staff are like muppets, their bosses calls the shot. 2.1 or 2.2 isn't a requirement any longer in Nigeria. Politicians and their likes get all the slots. Scratch my back, i scratch yours policy.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
That could be error by ommission or commission.so all those girls who use their pussy to get good grades are better.i pity you.skills are better than academic grades.i agree with op.
pro01:

It's not difficult to see why "HR Personals" insist on certain grades.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
That is not uniform minimum academic standards in nigeria higher institutions.some lecturers are sadist while other liberal.grades should not be main criteria.school examination is not the best way of assessing intelligence.
osifred: You had 4 to 6 years to prove your worth, don't blame any employer who doesn't give you a second chance. If you were that good you should have proved your worth in school when it mattered.

Just so you know which by the way am not an advocate of such, some companies have a very bureaucratic setting where only 1st class and 2:1 are employed. I once heard of a law firm that employ only graduate of Harvard law school.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by hannydarl(f): 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2013
adoken:
I laugh in polar form, grin,I remember back then when the 2:1 campaign in college was at its peak and a fella beckoned on me and asked,'If I make a 3:1,does that make me unworthy in life after school?',as I speak today,the guy is in House of Assembly Abuja and what he has achieved so far is a dream yet to come true for many professors and ten thousand 1:1s...food for thought!!!

Abeg link me to that your friend so I can stop dreaming and be in reality.
@ poster in Nigeria its the paper that matters first then your brain. So just endure ehn? Or let the applicant forward his education.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Cool: 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2013
boladonas: HR Practitioners like me, have in most cases only your application letter and CV to make informed judgements in less than 5 minutes per CV.
At that stage what separates a candidate from another is his/her grade in school. Remember also, that sometimes you can have 25,000 applications for just 20 positions. We also look at what we think your competencies are and try to do a person fit. When we call for interviews, it is this fit that we are looking for, and if Intelligent Quotient carries a high weight in the fit, your grade at school is the only measure available to the HR practitioner.

Dont worry, there are jobs that require less of IQ and more of brawn, you may have more chances in landing such jobs or rather proceed to do an MBA.

Thank you

I am compelled to respond to this post because of the misinformed arrogance of Boladonas and the potential his/her post has to douse the spirit of some of our young, bright 2.2-classed youths. I will try to be brief in my response to the post.

I agree that an easy way for organisations (and thus HR personnel) in Nigeria to approximate intellectual potential is CPGA. Howevever, anyone who schooled, works or practises HR in Nigeria and categorically states that 2.1 class equates high IQ should also categorically be labelled uninformed.

Having said that, every organisation has a right to set its HR policy and as long as its statements and behaviours are ethical, it does not owe anybody any apology.
HR personnel simply implement organisational policies so, it would be unfair to lay the blame at the door of HR personnel solely however, since HR is now expected to occupy a more strategic position within an organiation, maybe they can be challenged to come up with metrics that may be better suited to the Nigerian environment.

I graduated some years ago, with an unclassed degree that has been accepted in global circles as 1st class. So, I am not writing this to defend my 2.2 class (as some might be wont to speculate). It is simply to state that someone with 2.2; especially high CPGA cannot be labelled as brawn. It could simply be that the person was not inclined to engage in some untoward practices that might have tipped him/her into 2.1. It might also be that the method of education in Nigeria did not bring out the best in the person. Isn't it interesting that the ratio of Nigerians with 1st class and 2.1 degrees from foreign universities is disproportionately high when compared with domestic graduates? I could go on about this, but I'll stop after I say this: The expression that only 2.1 and above have high IQ is antiquated and better left within the confines of offices that still subscribe to such thinking wink

Now, to the 2.2 graduates, what Boladonas has exhibited is the classic unfounded and undefendable arrogance that you will find in some organisations (especially the consulting firms). They need to sustain that mentality to keep convincing themselves that there is something different about them. Take them away from the ocean of templates that they are immersed in and they are usually lost!! Interestingly, there are some postgraduate courses outside Nigeria that someone with a 2.1 degree from a Nigerian university will not be admitted to - so, "2.1 equals high IQ" firms/HR personnel.... what do you say to that?

Anyway, if you have a 2.2 degree, you simply need to sit down, rediscover yourself and chart your course. Don't get angry with the System, it's not worth it.
Decide where you want to go, research on how you can get there and don't let anyone tell you that you can't or label you low IQ.
A well-travelled route for a lot of people is to obtain a Masters degree from abroad. Just spread out your nets.

I wish you the best!!

Cool
PS: I love our 1st class and 2.1 guys too!! Well done!

8 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by ademibowale(m): 6:07pm On Jan 06, 2013
shocked grin
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by funshybam(m): 6:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
shocked shocked shocked[b][/b]
adoken:
I laugh in polar form, grin,I remember back then when the 2:1 campaign in college was at its peak and a fella beckoned on me and asked,'If I make a 3:1,does that make me unworthy in life after school?',as I speak today,the guy is in House of Assembly Abuja and what he has achieved so far is a dream yet to come true for many professors and ten thousand 1:1s...food for thought!!!

Do we av a HOUSE OF "ASSEMBLY" in Abuja?
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by arobafingi(m): 6:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
control_seven:
Nwa baby teacher! U did'nt see that quote ehhhhh!
Am sure he didn't see it.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 06, 2013
Unfortunately, the writer is the LAST AMONGST EQUALS. A victim of circumstance. Why must the HR personnel hire you when there are candidates with 3.50 (or more)also vying for the same role even after your 2nd round of interview. The world is relative. Let me tell you, there are set rule in the corporate world which are strictly followed especially HR. In my organization where I work, Compliance come first before any other thing or else u are gone. The HR need to comply with the laid down rule 2:1 is 2:1 and nothing less.
Never mind, there are still a lot of oppurtunities to come your way.
I understand you but when searching for job, never be too keen that you will get the job until u are offered a letter of employement but do not relent your effort. Keep applying for jobs until you have a suitable offer letter.
It is well with you.

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
From the department I graduated in UNILAG, I can categorically tell you that 95% (yes that high) of the students that graduated with 2.1 have some things in common (atleast 5 of 7 from this list), 1. Seriousness 2. Drive 3. The urge to succeed 4. Hardwork 5. Above Average intelligence 6. Ass kissing 7. Street smarts. But among the 2.2 guys though we still have some very good guys but they're some guys that don't just meet up.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
12 inches!:
From the department I graduated in UNILAG, I can categorically tell you that 95% (yes that high) of the students that graduated with 2.1 have some things in common (atleast 5 of 7 from this list), 1. Seriousness 2. Drive 3. The urge to succeed 4. Hardwork 5. Above Average intelligence 6. Ass kissing 7. Street smarts. But among the 2.2 guys though we still have some very good guys but they're some guys that don't just meet up.

you are on point sir,though a few peepz can manage to hit above 3.5 through various questionable route,in my class almost all the smart and intelligent dudes and babes made 2.1
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by gulfer: 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Leofric: mumu,you didnt do ur research well before studying it in school,(HR PESSONEL),are barely needed in an organisation
You sef don gbagaun
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by omanzo02: 8:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
In Nigeria's HR circle it's certificate that matter, in developed world your skill is what really matter, certificate is just a proof u studied for the profession but is not a proof u are good in the profession, that is the perception/belief in HR circle in places in Europe, my experience/skill earn me my job that was also contested by candidates armed with higher certificate than me and all were European , that is the irony of life. The day we begin to take value in talent and capabilities, that will be the beginning of Change in Nigeria.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 8:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
With these HR 'personals' and 'pessonel' I'm seeing here, I'm seriously afraid no employer would want to employ someone who won't be able to write simple emails to clients/customers and other external parties, doing damage to the company's image.

3 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 8:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
omanzo02: In Nigeria's HR circle it's certificate that matter, in developed world your skill is what really matter, not certificate but my experience/skill I acquired in Nigeria landed me my job that was also contested by candidates with higher certificate than me and all were European , that is the irony of life. The day we begin to take value in talent and capabilities, that will be the beginning of Change in Nigeria.
Spare us this. What you call certificate is not just paper, it is the summary of your accumulated performance over a number of years. If someone did better than you in those years(evidenced by certificate) there is no way you can prove to me that you are better than him, since he bested you in those years represented by that paper. After all, I don't know any of you before and I can only judge by your past, represented by those certificates.

6 Likes

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
fkaz: As an HR If president jonathan present his qualification and grade to you.
Won't you say the president is a smart guy?
But you can refuse to confirm him after six months or sack him earlier, if he doesn't live to expectation.

There is just no way you can tell me you are better than him.
Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by afinic001(m): 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
ebucha: and how will error free essay increase their output? In case you don't know, one million profs. Of English no go move our economy one inch further. Learn something productive my dear!

This is so disappointing to say the very least. Is it bad/wrong for someone to demand that the OP should have expressed himself/herself in simple and correct English Language??

1 Like

Re: How HR Personals Kill Dreams In Nigeria by omanzo02: 8:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
Jarus:
Spare us this. What you call certificate is not just paper, it is the summary of your accumulated performance over a number of years. If someone did better than you in those years(evidenced by certificate) there is no way you can prove to me that you are better than him, since he bested you in those years represented by that paper. After all, I don't know any of you before and I can only judge by your past, represented by those certificates.

Jarus,

Spare me that Nigeria's craps, I have seen happenings in both world, certificate in Europe is just a mere proof you studied theoretically for the profession but is not proof you are good at it, that is the perception/belief in recruitment bureaus and in firms here,, even if you are armed with PhD degree is not a guarantee here against someone with common diploma with experience. Skill/experience also earn you more money here than than certificate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HR Said I'm Successful In All The Interviews But No Offer Yet. / AMERICA EMBASSY, Abuja & Lagos De Employ, Send Your Application Now Check Link / Apply For Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc Graduate & Mid-level Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.