Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,164 members, 7,919,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 01:11 PM

Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion (19016 Views)

Woman Births Triplets In Lagos, Dies After (Photos) / Carpenter Killed By Live High Tension Wire, Wife Dies Hours After (PIC) / Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Kabikala(m): 12:45pm On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

Health concerns of course!

BLOOD PRODUCTS ARE NOT SAFE!

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9894/1/Is-the-Blood-Supply-Safe.html

Yeah, and death is a bit safer!!

1 Like

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Thankgodiyke(m): 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2013
Take it or leave it..It was her wish nt to acept blood transfusion she must hav signed a document regarding this. so her wish was respected noboby coerced her not 2 acept blood transfusion..She understood d sacredness of blood and how Jehovah views it even though it would cost her life she was nt afraid 2 die..Jehovah that she worshiped wil neva 4get her so lets nt b judgemental..Jehovahs witnesses all over d world share a common believe and dat makes them a unique organisation..I love them.

1 Like

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Pelumiv(m): 12:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
Check this link for more about jw's http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by mkoabiola: 1:05pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hw come?Does it mean dat d husband is not a jeovah witness member or what?
Which church d husband de worship?
Whatks d husband blv abt blood transfusion.
D story is incomplete.
RIP.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 1:20pm On Jan 08, 2013
Kabikala:

Yeah, and death is a bit safer!!

All a matter of choice.
I don tok my own.
Some 'dead' people are better than some 'living-deads'!
Please, make your choice.
No barry kias! kiss

I PHOCKING DON'T! kiss
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by BUTONEDAY(m): 1:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
While blood transfusions have been made as safe as scientifically possible, receiving someone else's blood always carries risks.

Read more on the link below

http://voices.yahoo.com/are-blood-transfusions-safe-study-links-blood-transfusions-689820.html
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by posemeke: 1:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
[b]
ileobatojo:

I have to strongly disagree with the bolded greatgod. This attitude of leaving people for God to judge is a major reason why we will never progress in Nigeria. Why are we just not interested in holding people accountable for their actions? The law suit is not to bring his wife back, it is to hold the people complicit in her death accountable. If we can't demand accountability from the people you deal with on a day to day basis, how can we demand it from our leaders who we will probably never have any physical contact with? That is how we are leaving them to God as the people are being fed to the dogs on a daily basis. Honestly whenever I hear that phrase as a deterrent for demanding accountability it makes my stomach churn. We already have the legal system we need to get judgments against offenders, why should God come down specially to come and judge again? It's the same as praying for healing without availing oneself of the God given opportunity for medical care.

That being said, I don't believe that the man in question has a case against her parents unless they had a power of attorney for the lady that died. Without a power of attorney, they are not the ones that should be making her medical decisions. If they were making the medical decisions directly, then his case should be against the doctor/hospital for taking orders from the family without legal documentation to support that. The more likely scenario is that the woman decided herself not to get a blood transfusion based on her own religious convictions upon which she was raised. The onus has to fall on the woman herself for making such a decision concerning her own health. Whether she got spiritual guidance from her family members or not, she still called the shots at the end of the day. I actually will put some blame on him for not chasing her family out of the hospital with a damn cutlass when they were helping to put the life of his wife in jeopardy with their spiritual counsel. Or was the guy estranged from his wife and is just now flexing?

I certainly don't know all the specifics but these are my immediate thoughts.
[/b]

I really send my condolence to Mr Timothy over the death of his wife due to not accepting the blood transfusion. But then can i will also want to disagree with this comment made by this fellow above. If the wife was a JW and she made wish known to both her christian and biological families her christian stand about no blood i dont think the husband actually have a case to hold against the JW. There are many good hospitals in Nigeria who never know how they can operate one without the use of Blood transfusion but it is only the Hospital liaison Committee (HLC) who are members of the JW, taught the thousand of doctors in Nigeria on how to use operate one without the use of blood transfusion and the doctors were all amazed cos it all works and since then, this professionals later became part of the HLC treating any members of the JW without the use of blood transfusion which works till today. That goes to show that the doctor who actually handle his wife case was a kuak doctor who i think loves money and also never believe what the bible says about abstaining from blood in any form because to God, blood is sacred. If another professional doctor could handle the autopsy of the body he or she will see that that kuak doctor must have caused the death of the woman. Well i leave that to Jehovah God to judge.

I am so sorry for the death of his wife. But instead of thinking of charging the case to court, if he is really a christian, i will advice him to kindly let God handle the matter, he should remember that the life that is lost can be giving back by God through his dear son Jesus Christ. - John 5: 28; 29. may Jehovah give you and your family comfort to bear the loss and the strength for you to go on knowing in the due time, death will be no more. Revelation 21:3-5.

But then let me paste a material that i strongly recommend us all to read and reason with the sited scriptures so that we can really understand and appreciate the importance of our loyalty to Jehovah. Remember it is because of the love he has for us mankind God sent his only begotten son to die for us so as to pave way for life everlasting both those who have died but will be brought back to life and those who will live now and wont see death till the kingdom of God comes in.

PLEASE READ:
A Godly View of Life

How does God view life?
How does God view abortion?
How do we show respect for life?

“JEHOVAH is in truth God,” said the prophet Jeremiah. “He is the living God.” (Jeremiah 10:10) Furthermore, Jehovah God is the Creator of all living things. Heavenly creatures said to him: “You created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created.” (Revelation 4:11) In a song of praise to God, King David said: “With you is the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9) Life, then, is a gift from God.
2 Jehovah also sustains our lives. (Acts 17:28) He provides the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the land we live on. (Acts 14:15-17) Jehovah has done this in a way that makes life enjoyable. But to enjoy life to the full, we need to learn God’s laws and obey them.—Isaiah 48:17, 18.

SHOWING RESPECT FOR LIFE
3 God wants us to have respect for life—both our own and that of others. Back in the days of Adam and Eve, for example, their son Cain became very angry with his younger brother Abel. Jehovah warned Cain that his anger could lead him to serious sin. Cain ignored that warning. He ‘assaulted Abel his brother and killed him.’ (Genesis 4:3-cool Jehovah punished Cain for murdering his brother.—Genesis 4:9-11.

4 Thousands of years later, Jehovah gave the people of Israel laws to help them to serve him acceptably. Because these laws were given through the prophet Moses, they are sometimes called the Mosaic Law. Part of the Mosaic Law said: “You must not murder.” (Deuteronomy 5:17) This showed the Israelites that God values human life and that people must value the lives of others.

5 What about the life of an unborn child? Well, according to the Mosaic Law, causing the death of a baby in its mother’s womb was wrong. Yes, even such a life is precious to Jehovah. (Exodus 21:22, 23; Psalm 127:3) This means that abortion is wrong.

6 Having respect for life includes having the right view of fellow humans. The Bible says: “Everyone who hates his brother is a manslayer, and you know that no manslayer has everlasting life remaining in him.” (1 John 3:15) If we want everlasting life, we need to root out of our heart any hatred for our fellowman, because hatred is the root cause of most violence. (1 John 3:11, 12) It is vital that we learn to love one another.

7 What about showing respect for our own life? People normally do not want to die, but some risk death for the sake of pleasure. For example, many use tobacco, chew betel nut, or take drugs for recreational purposes. Such substances harm the body and often kill the users. A person who makes it a practice to use these substances does not view life as sacred. These practices are unclean in God’s eyes. (Romans 6:19; 12:1; 2 Corinthians 7:1) To serve God acceptably, we have to give up such practices. Although doing so might be very hard, Jehovah can give us the needed help. And he appreciates the effort we make to treat our life as a precious gift from him.

8 If we have respect for life, we will keep in mind the need to be safety conscious. We will not be careless and will not take risks just for pleasure or excitement. We will avoid reckless driving and violent or dangerous sports. (Psalm 11:5) God’s law for ancient Israel stated: “In case you build a new house [with a flat roof], you must also make a parapet [or, low wall] for your roof, that you may not place bloodguilt upon your house because someone falling might fall from it.” (Deuteronomy 22:cool In harmony with the principle set out in that law, keep such things as stairs in good condition in your home so that someone does not trip, fall, and get badly hurt. If you own a car, make sure that it is safe to drive. Do not let either your home or your car be a danger to you or to others.

9 What about the life of an animal? That too is sacred to the Creator. God permits the killing of animals to obtain food and clothing or to protect people from danger. (Genesis 3:21; 9:3; Exodus 21:28) However, being cruel to animals or killing them just for sport is wrong and shows utter disregard for the sacredness of life.—Proverbs 12:10.

SHOWING RESPECT FOR BLOOD
10 After Cain killed his brother Abel, Jehovah told Cain: “Your brother’s blood is crying out to me from the ground.” (Genesis 4:10) When God spoke of Abel’s blood, he was speaking of Abel’s life. Cain had taken Abel’s life, and now Cain would have to be punished. It was as if Abel’s blood, or life, were crying out to Jehovah for justice. The connection between life and blood was again shown after the Flood of Noah’s day. Before the Flood, humans ate only fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts. After the Flood, Jehovah told Noah and his sons: “Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you.” However, God set this restriction: “Only flesh with its soul [or, life]—its blood—you must not eat.” (Genesis 1:29; 9:3, 4) Clearly, Jehovah links very closely the life and the blood of a creature.

11 We show respect for blood by not eating it. In the Law that Jehovah gave the Israelites, he commanded: “As for any man . . . who in hunting catches a wild beast or a fowl that may be eaten, he must in that case pour its blood out and cover it with dust. . . . I said to the sons of Israel: ‘You must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh.’” (Leviticus 17:13, 14) God’s command not to eat animal blood, first given to Noah some 800 years earlier, was still in force. Jehovah’s view was clear: His servants could eat animal meat but not the blood. They were to pour the blood on the ground—in effect, returning the creature’s life to God.

12 A similar command rests upon Christians. The apostles and other men taking the lead among Jesus’ followers in the first century met together to decide what commands had to be obeyed by all in the Christian congregation. They came to this conclusion: “The holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled [leaving the blood in the meat] and from fornication.” (Acts 15:28, 29; 21:25) So we must ‘keep abstaining from blood.’ In God’s eyes, our doing that is as important as our avoiding idolatry and sexual immorality.

13 Does the command to abstain from blood include blood transfusions? Yes. To illustrate: Suppose a doctor were to tell you to abstain from alcoholic beverages. Would that simply mean that you should not drink alcohol but that you could have it injected into your veins? Of course not! Likewise, abstaining from blood means not taking it into our bodies at all. So the command to abstain from blood means that we would not allow anyone to transfuse blood into our veins.

14 What if a Christian is badly injured or is in need of major surgery? Suppose doctors say that he must have a blood transfusion or he will die. Of course, the Christian would not want to die. In an effort to preserve God’s precious gift of life, he would accept other kinds of treatment that do not involve the misuse of blood. Hence, he would seek such medical attention if that is available and would accept a variety of alternatives to blood.

15 Would a Christian break God’s law just to stay alive a little longer in this system of things? Jesus said: “Whoever wants to save his soul [or, life] will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 16:25) We do not want to die. But if we tried to save our present life by breaking God’s law, we would be in danger of losing everlasting life. We are wise, then, to put our trust in the rightness of God’s law, with full confidence that if we die from any cause, our Life-Giver will remember us in the resurrection and restore to us the precious gift of life.—John 5:28, 29; Hebrews 11:6.

16 Today, faithful servants of God firmly resolve to follow his direction regarding blood. They will not eat it in any form. Nor will they accept blood for medical reasons. They are sure that the Creator of blood knows what is best for them. Do you believe that he does?

THE ONLY PROPER USE OF BLOOD
17 The Mosaic Law emphasized the one proper use of blood. Regarding the worship required of the ancient Israelites, Jehovah commanded: “The soul [or, life] of the flesh is in the blood, and I myself have put it upon the altar for you to make atonement for your souls, because it is the blood that makes atonement.” (Leviticus 17:11) When the Israelites sinned, they could obtain forgiveness by offering an animal and having some of its blood put on the altar at the tabernacle or later at God’s temple. The only proper use of blood was in such sacrifices.

18 True Christians are not under the Mosaic Law and therefore do not offer animal sacrifices and put the blood of animals on an altar. (Hebrews 10:1) However, the use of blood on the altar in the days of ancient Israel pointed forward to the precious sacrifice of God’s Son, Jesus Christ. As we learned in Chapter 5 of this book, Jesus gave his human life for us by letting his blood be shed as a sacrifice. Then he ascended to heaven and once for all time offered the value of his shed blood to God. (Hebrews 9:11, 12) That laid the basis for the forgiveness of our sins and opened the way for us to gain everlasting life. (Matthew 20:28; John 3:16) How extremely important that use of blood has proved to be! (1 Peter 1:18, 19) Only by means of faith in the merit of Jesus’ shed blood can we gain salvation.

19 We can be so grateful to Jehovah God for the loving provision of life! And should that not motivate us to tell others about the opportunity to gain everlasting life on the basis of faith in Jesus’ sacrifice? Godly concern for the lives of fellow humans will move us to do this with eagerness and zeal. (Ezekiel 3:17-21) If we diligently fulfill this responsibility, we will be able to say, as did the apostle Paul: “I am clean from the blood of all men, for I have not held back from telling you all the counsel of God.” (Acts 20:26, 27) Telling people about God and his purposes is a fine way to show that we have the highest regard for life and blood.

[Footnote]
For information on alternatives to blood transfusion, see pages 13-17 of the brochure How Can Blood Save Your Life? published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES
▪ Life is a gift from God.—Psalm 36:9; Revelation 4:11.
▪ Abortion is wrong, since the life of an unborn child is precious in God’s eyes.—Exodus 21:22, 23; Psalm 127:3.
▪ We show respect for life by not endangering it and by not eating blood.—Deuteronomy 5:17; Acts 15:28, 29.

For more information please visit www.jw.org

3 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by BUTONEDAY(m): 1:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
Researchers Warn of Problem with Blood Used for Transfusions

Follow the link below

http://voices.yahoo.com/researchers-warn-problem-blood-used-transfusions-597137.html?cat=5
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by posemeke: 1:33pm On Jan 08, 2013
Monzuur: My Wife died because her Jehovah Witness family rejected blood transfusion – Husband

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/01/08/my-wife-died-jehovah-witness-family-rejected-blood-transfusion-husband/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=my-wife-died-jehovah-witness-family-rejected-blood-transfusion-husband

Wickedness,ignorance or wat wil u cal this? shocked

Please my friend let me disabuse your mind about this issue so that when you read this insert you can also confirm that with any skillful doctors that you know that can understand the alternative to blood transfusion. whatever information or "dem say" that you must have been told, please kindly prayerfully be guided by following what your bible says in respect to our loyalty to God in the area of Blood taking.

PLEASE READ

Quality Alternatives to Transfusion
You might feel, ‘Transfusions are hazardous, but are there any high-quality alternatives?’ A good question, and note the word “quality.”
Everyone, including Jehovah’s Witnesses, wants effective medical care of high quality. Dr. Grant E. Steffen noted two key elements: “Quality medical care is the capacity of the elements of that care to achieve legitimate medical and nonmedical goals.” (The Journal of the American Medical Association, July 1, 1988) “Nonmedical goals” would include not violating the ethics or Bible-based conscience of the patient.—Acts 15:28, 29.
Are there legitimate and effective ways to manage serious medical problems without using blood? Happily, the answer is yes.

Though most surgeons have claimed that they gave blood only when absolutely necessary, after the AIDS epidemic arose their use of blood dropped rapidly. An editorial in Mayo Clinic Proceedings (September 1988) said that “one of the few benefits of the epidemic” was that it “resulted in various strategies on the part of patients and physicians to avoid blood transfusion.” A blood-bank official explains: “What has changed is the intensity of the message, the receptivity of clinicians to the message (because of an increased perception of risks), and the demand for consideration of alternatives.”—Transfusion Medicine Reviews, October 1989.

Note, there are alternatives! This becomes understandable when we review why blood is transfused.
The hemoglobin in the red cells carries oxygen needed for good health and life. So if a person has lost a lot of blood, it might seem logical just to replace it. Normally you have about 14 or 15 grams of hemoglobin in every 100 cubic centimeters of blood. (Another measure of the concentration is hematocrit, which is commonly about 45 percent.) The accepted “rule” was to transfuse a patient before surgery if his hemoglobin was below 10 (or 30 percent hematocrit). The Swiss journal Vox Sanguinis (March 1987) reported that “65% of [anesthesiologists] required patients to have a preoperative hemoglobin of 10 gm/dl for elective surgery.”

But at a 1988 conference on blood transfusion, Professor Howard L. Zauder asked, “How Did We Get a ‘Magic Number’?” He stated clearly: “The etiology of the requirement that a patient have 10 grams of hemoglobin (Hgb) prior to receiving an anesthetic is cloaked in tradition, shrouded in obscurity, and unsubstantiated by clinical or experimental evidence.” Imagine the many thousands of patients whose transfusions were triggered by an ‘obscure, unsubstantiated’ requirement!

Some might wonder, ‘Why is a hemoglobin level of 14 normal if you can get by on much less?’ Well, you thus have considerable reserve oxygen-carrying capacity so that you are ready for exercise or heavy work. Studies of anemic patients even reveal that “it is difficult to detect a deficit in work capacity with hemoglobin concentrations as low as 7 g/dl. Others have found evidence of only moderately impaired function.”—Contemporary Transfusion Practice, 1987.

While adults accommodate a low hemoglobin level, what of children? Dr. James A. Stockman III says: “With few exceptions, infants born prematurely will experience a decline in hemoglobin in the first one to three months . . . The indications for transfusion in the nursery setting are not well defined. Indeed, many infants seem to tolerate remarkably low levels of hemoglobin concentration with no apparent clinical difficulties.”—Pediatric Clinics of North America, February 1986.

Such information does not mean that nothing need be done when a person loses a lot of blood in an accident or during surgery. If the loss is rapid and great, a person’s blood pressure drops, and he may go into shock. What is primarily needed is that the bleeding be stopped and the volume in his system be restored. That will serve to prevent shock and keep the remaining red cells and other components in circulation.

Volume replacement can be accomplished without using whole blood or blood plasma. Various nonblood fluids are effective volume expanders. The simplest is saline (salt) solution, which is both inexpensive and compatible with our blood. There are also fluids with special properties, such as dextran, Haemaccel, and lactated Ringer’s solution. Hetastarch (HES) is a newer volume expander, and “it can be safely recommended for those [burn] patients who object to blood products.” (Journal of Burn Care & Rehabilitation, January/February 1989) Such fluids have definite advantages. “Crystalloid solutions [such as normal saline and lactated Ringer’s solution], Dextran and HES are relatively nontoxic and inexpensive, readily available, can be stored at room temperature, require no compatibility testing and are free of the risk of transfusion-transmitted disease.”—Blood Transfusion Therapy—A Physician’s Handbook, 1989.

You may ask, though, ‘Why do nonblood replacement fluids work well, since I need red cells to get oxygen throughout my body?’ As mentioned, you have oxygen-carrying reserves. If you lose blood, marvelous compensatory mechanisms start up. Your heart pumps more blood with each beat. Since the lost blood was replaced with a suitable fluid, the now diluted blood flows more easily, even in the small vessels. As a result of chemical changes, more oxygen is released to the tissues. These adaptations are so effective that if only half of your red cells remain, oxygen delivery may be about 75 percent of normal. A patient at rest uses only 25 percent of the oxygen available in his blood. And most general anesthetics reduce the body’s need for oxygen.

HOW CAN DOCTORS HELP?
Skilled physicians can help one who has lost blood and so has fewer red cells. Once volume is restored, doctors can administer oxygen at high concentration. This makes more of it available for the body and has often had remarkable results. British doctors used this with a woman who had lost so much blood that “her haemoglobin fell to 1.8 g/dlitre. She was successfully treated . . . [with] high inspired oxygen concentrations and transfusions of large volumes of gelatin solution [Haemaccel].” (Anaesthesia, January 1987) The report also says that others with acute blood loss have been successfully treated in hyperbaric oxygen chambers.

Physicians can also help their patients to form more red cells. How? By giving them iron-containing preparations (into muscles or veins), which can aid the body in making red cells three to four times faster than normal. Recently another help has become available. Your kidneys produce a hormone called erythropoietin (EPO), which stimulates bone marrow to form red cells. Now synthetic (recombinant) EPO is available. Doctors may give this to some anemic patients, thus helping them to form replacement red cells very quickly.

Even during surgery, skilled and conscientious surgeons and anesthesiologists can help by employing advanced blood-conservation methods. Meticulous operative technique, such as electrocautery to minimize bleeding, cannot be overstressed. Sometimes blood flowing into a wound can be aspirated, filtered, and directed back into circulation.

Patients on a heart-lung machine primed with a nonblood fluid may benefit from the resulting hemodilution, fewer red cells being lost.
And there are other ways to help. Cooling a patient to lessen his oxygen needs during surgery. Hypotensive anesthesia. Therapy to improve coagulation. Desmopressin (DDAVP) to shorten bleeding time. Laser “scalpels.” You will see the list grow as physicians and concerned patients seek to avoid blood transfusions. We hope that you never lose a great amount of blood. But if you did, it is very likely that skilled doctors could manage your care without using blood transfusions, which have so many risks.

SURGERY, YES—BUT WITHOUT TRANSFUSIONS
Many people today will not accept blood. For health reasons, they are requesting what Witnesses seek primarily on religious grounds: quality medical care employing alternative nonblood management. As we have noted, major surgery is still possible. If you have any lingering doubts, some other evidence from medical literature may dispel them.

The article “Quadruple Major Joint Replacement in Member of Jehovah’s Witnesses” (Orthopaedic Review, August 1986) told of an anemic patient with “advanced destruction in both knees and hips.” Iron dextran was employed before and after the staged surgery, which was successful. The British Journal of Anaesthesia (1982) reported on a 52-year-old Witness with a hemoglobin level under 10. With the use of hypotensive anesthesia to minimize blood loss, she had a total hip and shoulder replacement. A surgical team at the University of Arkansas (U.S.A.) also used this method in a hundred hip replacements on Witnesses, and all the patients recovered. The professor heading the department comments: “What we have learned from those (Witness) patients, we now apply to all our patients that we do total hips on.”

The conscience of some Witnesses permits them to accept organ transplants if done without blood. A report of 13 kidney transplants concluded: “The overall results suggest that renal transplantation can be safely and efficaciously applied to most Jehovah’s Witnesses.” (Transplantation, June 1988) Likewise, refusal of blood has not stood in the way even of successful heart transplants.

‘What about bloodless surgery of other types?’ you may wonder. Medical Hotline (April/May 1983) told of surgery on “Jehovah’s Witnesses who underwent major gynecological and obstetric operations [at Wayne State University, U.S.A.] without blood transfusions.” The newsletter reported: “There were no more deaths and complications than in women who had undergone similar operations with blood transfusions.” The newsletter then commented: “The results of this study may warrant a fresh look at the use of blood for all women undergoing obstetric and gynecological operations.”

At the hospital of Göttingen University (Germany), 30 patients who declined blood underwent general surgery. “No complications arose that could not also have arisen with patients who accept blood transfusions. . . . That recourse to a transfusion is not possible should not be overrated, and thus should not lead to refraining from an operation that is necessary and surgically justifiable.”—Risiko in der Chirurgie, 1987.

Even brain surgery without using blood has been done on numerous adults and children, for instance, at New York University Medical Center. In 1989 Dr. Joseph Ransohoff, head of neurosurgery, wrote: “It is very clear that in most instances avoidance of blood products can be achieved with minimal risk in patients who have religious tenets against the use of these products, particularly if surgery can be carried out expeditiously and with a relatively short operative period. Of considerable interest is the fact that I often forget that the patient is a Witness until at the time of discharge when they thank me for having respected their religious beliefs.”

Finally, can intricate heart and vascular surgery without blood be performed on adults and children? Dr. Denton A. Cooley was a pioneer in doing just that. As you can see in the medical article reprinted in the Appendix, on pages 27-9, based on an earlier analysis, Dr. Cooley’s conclusion was “that the risk of surgery in patients of the Jehovah’s Witness group has not been substantially higher than for others.” Now, after performing 1,106 of these operations, he writes: “In every instance my agreement or contract with the patient is maintained,” that is, to use no blood.

Surgeons have observed that good attitude is another factor with Jehovah’s Witnesses. “The attitude of these patients has been exemplary,” wrote Dr. Cooley in October 1989. “They do not have the fear of complications or even death that most patients have. They have a deep and abiding faith in their belief and in their God.”

This does not mean that they assert a right to die. They actively pursue quality care because they want to get well. They are convinced that obeying God’s law on blood is wise, which view has a positive influence in nonblood surgery.

Professor Dr. V. Schlosser, of the surgical hospital at the University of Freiburg (Germany), noted: “Among this group of patients, the incidence of bleeding during the perioperative period was not higher; the complications were, if anything, fewer. The special view of illness, typical of Jehovah’s Witnesses, had a positive influence in the perioperative process.”—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

[Footnotes]
Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or blood plasma. As to minor fractions, such as immune globulin, see The Watchtower of June 1, 1990, pages 30-1.
The Watchtower of March 1, 1989, pages 30-1, considers Bible principles that bear on methods of blood salvage and on blood-circulating (extracorporeal) equipment.

“We must conclude that currently there are many patients receiving blood components who have no chance for a benefit from transfusion (the blood is not needed) and yet still have a significant risk of undesired effect. No physician would knowingly expose a patient to a therapy that cannot help but might hurt, but that is exactly what occurs when blood is transfused unnecessarily.”—“Transfusion-Transmitted Viral Diseases,” 1987.

“Some authors have stated that hemoglobin values as low as 2 to 2.5 gm./100ml. may be acceptable. . . . A healthy person may tolerate a 50 percent loss of red blood cell mass and be almost entirely asymptomatic if blood loss occurs over a period of time.”—“Techniques of Blood Transfusion,” 1982.

“Older concepts about oxygen transport to tissues, wound healing, and ‘nutritional value’ of blood are being abandoned. Experience with patients who are Jehovah’s Witnesses demonstrates that severe anemia is well tolerated.”—“The Annals of Thoracic Surgery,” March 1989.

Little children too? “Forty-eight pediatric open heart surgical procedures were performed with bloodless techniques regardless of surgical complexity.” The children were as small as 10.3 pounds (4.7 kg). “Because of consistent success in Jehovah’s Witnesses and the fact that blood transfusion carries a risk of serious complications, we are currently performing most of our pediatric cardiac operations without transfusion.”—“Circulation,” September 1984.

The heart-lung machine has been a great help in heart surgery on patients who do not want blood

For more information please kindly visit www.jw.org
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 1:48pm On Jan 08, 2013
Thank our gods for the white man's land! kiss
I look forward to more technological advances in the BLOODLESS department!
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES OR NOT!
NO BLOOOOOOOOOD FROM ANY BARRY if it can be helped!

Se-x is bad enough! IT CAN'T BE HELPED! wink
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/314474

[size=20pt]Jehovah's Witnesses warned about refusing blood transfusion

By JohnThomas Didymus
Nov 15, 2011 in Religion

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/314474#ixzz2HO7I9tXl
[/size]

[b][size=20pt]A Nigerian Jehovah's Witness, Blessing Nelson Udoh, 66, got "a new lease of life" when an operation helped her regain the use of her legs that had been crippled by arthritis. The surgery was aided by an auto-transfusion procedure.[/size]

The operation carried out at Moolchand Orthopedics Hospital, New Delhi, was a bilateral Total Knee Replacement surgery. Jehovah's Witnesses, as it is widely known, do not accept blood transfusion. However, surgical procedures for knee replacement require blood transfusions. Express Healthcare reports that a special technique was used in the surgery that allowed the Jehovah's Witness to satisfy her religious conscience which forbids receiving blood transfusions. Blessing Nelson Udoh received blood, but the blood she received was her own.
This procedure, in medical surgery, is termed auto-transfusion. Dr. Gupta, the surgeon who carried out the procedure, reported to be the first of its kind in India, describes it:

“An auto transfusion knee drain technique has been used in this case, wherein patient’s blood get collected in a filtered reservoir connected to the replaced knee. This blood is then transfused back to the patient within six hours. This obviates the need for any blood transfusion thus minimizing the risks associated with it."

However, a long standing critic of the Jehovah's Witnesses, Danny Haszard, thinks their doctrine which prohibits blood transfusions but approves transfusion if the blood is the patient's, is confused. Haszard comments:

"This shows Watch Tower is loosing grips over its confusing blood ban. An auto-transfusion makes perfect sense but it is against the Watch Tower ban on blood transfusion because the blood leaves the body before it is transfused back."

Danny Haszard may be right about this because the prohibition of blood transfusion by the Jehovah's Witnesses leadership includes a Jehovah's Witness allowing her blood taken from her and stored in any manner. Wikipedia confirms that Jehovah's Witnesses prohibition of blood transfusion also includes donating or storing blood:

"Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits ingesting blood and that Christians should therefore not accept blood transfusions or donate or store their own blood for transfusion."

Wikipedia quotes a 2006 issue of the Jehovah's Witnesses newsletter Our Kingdom Ministry, which confirms that prohibition against blood transfusion covers not only receiving blood but also donating and "storing" blood for transfusion purposes. The newsletter stated:

"...[Jehovah's Witnesses] do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion purposes..."

The statement by the surgeon Dr. Gupta, shows that "storing blood" was done in the case of Blessing Udoh. The blood was taken from the Nigerian lady, stored and then transfused back into her. The surgeon describing the procedure said:

[size=20pt]"An auto transfusion [is a procedure] wherein patient’s blood get collected in a filtered reservoir connected to the replaced knee. This blood is then transfused back to the patient within six hours."
[/size]

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Many critics of the Jehovah's Witnesses have been pointing out the inconsistencies in the teaching of the leadership of the Jehovah's Witnesses on blood transfusion and warning Jehovah's Witnesses about their leadership's self-contradictory stance on matters that mean life and death to millions of members of the sect worldwide.

Jwfacts.com highlights the inconsistencies of the ruling body of the organization on a matter over which several Jehovah's Witnesses have lost their lives over the decades. Jwfacts.com describes the confusion in the Jehovah's Witnesses' teaching on blood transfusion:

"Since 2000, a Jehovah's Witness still may not have a blood transfusion, but are permitted certain blood fractions, such as immunoglobulin and hemoglobulin... Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or the four primary components of blood namely, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma. They also do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion."

The organization's Watchtower edition of 2000, June 15, p.31, according to Jwfacts.com, states:

"....Jehovah's Witnesses refuse transfusions of both whole blood and its primary blood components. The Bible directs Christians to abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from fornication. (Acts 15:29) Beyond that, when it comes to fractions of any of the primary components, each Christian, after careful and prayerful meditation, must conscientiously decide for himself."

Jwfacts.com notes the inconsistency in the position that Jehovah's Witnesses may not accept whole blood and its primary blood components such as blood cells, platelets and plasma, but they are allowed certain "fractions of any of the primary components" such as immunoglobin and hemoglobulin. JWfacts.com asks:

"If it is wrong for a Witness to donate blood, [then from where or from who] do the blood fractions they use come from?"

According to JWfacts.com, the Jehovah's Witnesses leadership teaches members "that it is wrong to attempt to save life through a blood transfusion, as this risks forfeiting everlasting life" in the new world to come after Armageddon. The website quotes an edition (Watchtower 1970, Apr 15, p.249) of the group's magazine which states:

"But suppose one's wife or child were near death. Giving blood, no matter who the loved one might be, would still constitute a violation of God's law. Just because one is near death, this does not give one liberty to break God's commands. When one is near death is no time to tamper with or violate the law of God, but a time to draw as near as possible to God by remaining faithful. Everlasting life is the reward for faithfulness. How foolish it would be to gamble away the prospect of life eternal for the very uncertain promise of a cure by blood transfusion!"

Jwfacts.com warns that Jehovah's Witnesses who allow a group of men who call themselves leaders to dictate matters of life and death to them should note the vacillation and self-contradictory utterances of these men on such sensitive matter and keep in mind that their leaders are fallible humans. JWfacts.com warns Jehovah's Witnesses to remember that the same men changed their minds on the ban on organ transplants in the 1980s, and that they may yet in the future also change their minds on their present ban on blood transfusions given their present shift to accommodate "fractions of any of the primary components" of blood.

A revision of the doctrine on blood transfusion could come only after hundreds of Jehovah's Witnesses have lost their lives needlessly. Jwfacts.com warns Jehovah's Witnesses:

"Every Jehovah's Witness should seriously consider the implications of the Watchtower making such life and death doctrinal changes before deciding to refuse blood, when lives are at stake... Considering the changes that have occurred over the last decade, and the ongoing legal difficulties being experienced by the Watchtower Society, there will no doubt be more easing up in coming years."
[/b]
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by firestar(f): 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2013
Pelumiv: No matter how you quote the bible and give illustrations, some will not bother to check their bible or research on the believe of jehovah's witnesses. We base our believe in the bible, if u have a problem with that you can walk away but know that we cherish our God given life and we will do all our best to preserve it,In as much as it doesn't contradict our bible based believe.

Exactly.

Make a thorough search of facts before spewing fiction.

1 Like

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by chioma134: 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
This is what happened. Wife rejected blood transfusion while still conscious. Later became unconscious. Husband signed a letter authorizing transfusion. But wife's relatives refused,saying he had no right. Her next of kin was their 2yr old baby who could not take that decision. Woman died while they were still arguing.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by michylabo(m): 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
pgiddy: then I guess englissh is now d problem. I gave yhu the answer to the question you asked.i.e telling u dat there r somethingss I may not be aable to eat bt I can take into my body. And if I may askk, what iss Life?

How old r u sef?
Sniff cocaine, ingest it thru veins, drink it.... As long as it gets into ur body it has same effect.
Blood transfusion, eating blood, drinking blood are all different pathways of ingesting it....
Stop ur childish reasoning and learn sometin new...

Was reading thru but and listening to pples viewpoint but cldnt help to comment on ur replies as they r becoming irritating... U mustnt comment u knw..
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by maktop(m): 2:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
Daily Text of Tuesday, January 8, has the theme:if you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper.—Acts 15:29.
the comment on the above text is:

Not all who want to make decisions for us mean us harm. Well-intentioned friends might insist that we follow their advice. If we are living away from home, our relatives likely still have deep concern for our well-being and may feel compelled to continue to involve themselves in important decisions we face. For instance, consider the matter of medical treatment. The Bible clearly condemns the misuse of blood. (Acts 15:28, 29) Other matters that have to do with health care, though, are not clear-cut and require that each of us make a personal decision as to what treatment we will accept or reject. Our loved ones may have strong opinions on these issues. However, when deciding about those matters, each dedicated baptized Christian needs to carry “his own load” of responsibility. (Gal. 6:4, 5) Our primary concern is to maintain a good conscience before God, not men.—1 Tim. 1:5. w11 4/15 2:4

detail comment can be found in Watchtower 2011, April 15, paragraph 4, second study article.

the late woman in question must have conscientiously decided not to take blood based on her religious conviction. so nobody not even her so called husband can over ride that.i pray that the God she served till death came calling will bring her back to life in the new world that will soon replace this old, wicked world.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by day4(m): 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2013
[quote author=miredia] oh really, I wasn't cognizant of that. Hey are u in the U.S?[/quot
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by brightk(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
what i would like 2 know

1. is the husband a jw.. if he is then he shud walk away

2. if the husband is not a jw.. den d African culture naturally demands dat once u get married to a man u are 2 practice his religion. except he gives a go ahead for u 2 practice urs. he shud ve known better

3. if d lady actually stated that she shud not be given blood transfusion then its up 2 her.

4. as 4 d man, u don marry u don marry the family doesnt own her anymore its your decision to decide if u want to be a widower or remain married. make d family go sit down for one side.. if they are happy 2 loose their child, am not ready to loose my wife and make my kids grow without motherly love and care. Remember no one can take your mothers place.. if dem like make dem disown us.. its better we are not in gud terms and i kip ve a healthy family... she left her home 2 build a new family...

as 4 safe blood transfusion... the medical field has gone tru advance stages 2 take care of dat... wit or without blood transfusion if she wants to die she will but use ur common sense and do wat is right..
RIP sister...

it shud serve as a lesson to guys who wants to tie the knot. i know its not a days job but get to know her beliefs,religion,traditions n customs. its very important...if its sometin u cant cope with pls walk away...had i know will be 2 late
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Pelumiv(m): 2:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hey Firestar, long time? how are you doing?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by firestar(f): 2:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
Pelumiv: Hey Firestar, long time? how are you doing?

I'm swell! It's been awhile. How're you? smiley
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by DarryOsh(m): 3:41pm On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

I have to strongly disagree with the bolded greatgod. This attitude of leaving people for God to judge is a major reason why we will never progress in Nigeria. Why are we just not interested in holding people accountable for their actions? The law suit is not to bring his wife back, it is to hold the people complicit in her death accountable. If we can't demand accountability from the people you deal with on a day to day basis, how can we demand it from our leaders who we will probably never have any physical contact with? That is how we are leaving them to God as the people are being fed to the dogs on a daily basis. Honestly whenever I hear that phrase as a deterrent for demanding accountability it makes my stomach churn. We already have the legal system we need to get judgments against offenders, why should God come down specially to come and judge again? It's the same as praying for healing without availing oneself of the God given opportunity for medical care.

That being said, I don't believe that the man in question has a case against her parents unless they had a power of attorney for the lady that died. Without a power of attorney, they are not the ones that should be making her medical decisions. If they were making the medical decisions directly, then his case should be against the doctor/hospital for taking orders from the family without legal documentation to support that. The more likely scenario is that the woman decided herself not to get a blood transfusion based on her own religious convictions upon which she was raised. The onus has to fall on the woman herself for making such a decision concerning her own health. Whether she got spiritual guidance from her family members or not, she still called the shots at the end of the day. I actually will put some blame on him for not chasing her family out of the hospital with a damn cutlass when they were helping to put the life of his wife in jeopardy with their spiritual counsel. Or was the guy estranged from his wife and is just now flexing?

u r definately a smart person.keep it up
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by DarryOsh(m): 3:42pm On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

u r definately a smart person.keep it up
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Remii(m): 3:44pm On Jan 08, 2013
Very sad, Jehovah witnesses die from this every now and then,. However everyone dies sooner or later sha.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Pelumiv(m): 3:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
firestar:

I'm swell! It's been awhile. How're you? smiley

Yeah quite a while. where do u have ur assemblies and convention.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Symphony007: 4:06pm On Jan 08, 2013
When religion turns stupid!!!!...i empatize with the farmily of the dead.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Pelumiv(m): 4:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
When your opinion on a topic differs u don't have to rubbish others opinion.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by dapotemi: 4:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hmmn,i actually wanted to comment on dis thread,but am satisfied dat my fellow brothers nd sisters av done justice to d issues.For me,Obeying Jehovah God is worth more than my life or wat dis present wicked system of tins can offer,if i shud die because i refuse blood,i will be honour n glad dat i av satisfy my bible train conscience nd most importantly i av obey,willingly God's word,d bible.Jus as my late sister,our death will NEVER be in vain.Special Convention is feb 10 here.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Monzuur(m): 4:48pm On Jan 08, 2013
My post on d front page 4 d 1st fuckin tym am fuckinly happy

1 Like

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by eminex(m): 4:48pm On Jan 08, 2013
pgiddy: Oga, uve got no point. Have you ever been addmitted in an hospital and drip passed through your body?, so tell me can you drink Drip water??. I can't drink drip water, but I can take it into my body. #Gbam#

Mr. Man, u re d one dat has no point. Wot u eat tru ur mouth & wot u take tru transfusion were do they all end up? To the blood stream. Its all in biology SS2, digestive system. Go do research.
Now, wit all dis myopic understandin of most ppl. The bible stated 'abstain frm blood' or 'keep away frm blood'. So wot is so hard 2 understand dere?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by star4(f): 4:53pm On Jan 08, 2013
Monzuur: My post on d front page 4 d 1st fuckin tym am fuckinly happy

Lmao! Ahahaa! Congradufukinlations! grin
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Watermelon(m): 4:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
Some body help me, but why did God decide to redeem mankind with blood
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by oweniwe(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
My elder bro had neck cancer. . . It got him emanciated. . . Doctors recommended blood transfusion. . . After taking in 2 pints. . . He died. . . Someone who was fine before d transfusion

Religion or no Religion, blood transfusion is BAD
shocked shocked angry angry angry
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by oweniwe(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
double post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair / Dont You Think Your Family Need This? / After 19 Years Of Having 9 Miscarriages And 4 IVF, Lady Conceives Naturally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.