Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,329 members, 7,971,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 02:38 AM

Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion (1131 Views)

What World Leaders At UN Meeting Told Me About Buhari That He May Never Hear-obj / Gov. Obi Launches N300m Road Project In Onitsha. / Ojukwu Flown To Uk, Gov Obi Thanks All (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by ak47mann(m): 1:09am On Jan 08, 2013
Anambra State Governor Peter Obi
wowed a packed audience of diasporan
activists when he addressed the issue
of “effective opposition in a
sustainable democracy” in December.
The governor was the headline
speaker in a stellar cast that included the
deputy leader of the UK Liberal Democrat Party Simon Hughes, Labour’s
David Lammy and the speaker of Lagos
state Adeyemi Ikuforiji.
There was standing room only as more
than 150 packed a committee room in
Portcullis House for this inal forum in
Ben TV’s rolling programme of AfricanNigerian Diaspora Conferences 2012.
Obi’s appeal comes from the fact that
he is a man who not only talks the talk but
does so because he walks the walk. And
he’s already done a fair few miles over the
rocky terrain of Nigerian politics.
He took his captivated audience on a
whirlwind tour of that journey. When he
was first elected by a landslide, his opponent was appointed governor. Against
much defeatist advice he took the issue to
the courts and, after three years, won.
Other court battles materialised over
how long he would serve but he remained
steadfast and was eventually made governor for a full term.
He was then impeached as he itted
out his ofice for 40m Naira – overriding
the government, who had costed the job
at 200m Naira. He went back to court
and won.
Once in ofice he visited the poorest
village in the state to meet his people. The
adults, he told us, danced with joy at such
an estimable presence.
“So,” he continued, “I asked a child
what he wanted and he pointed to the
school and said a roof. And the adults
danced. So I asked another child if there
was anything that would improve his life
and he said more teachers. And the adults
contineud to dance. And a thrid child said
a toilet would be nice. And the adults…”
He continued, “The least we can do is
to put into this world what we take out of
it. We had rooves on our schools, why
don’t they?”
Yet Nigeria is second in the league
table of private jet ownership.
He said $15bn had been invested in
Anambra state since he took office by the
single measure of “cutting out the cost of
governance”.
“I came here alone,” he said. “Only I
was invited, so only I came. I can carry
my own bag and they [entourages] eat too
much.”
Yet there’s hope he said. The opposition was inding a voice and that had had
a positive effect on the current administration, which deserved praise as there
had been “some fundamental changes
under this government”.
It has had the courage to say enough
is enough and act to repair the Lagos interstate; challenge the fuel susbsidy and,
perhaps most importantly, promoted free
and fair elections.
But corruption will only be defeated if
you take money out of the system and deliver it to the point of need. The school
he visited in his tenure had been
equipped. “We gave the money direct to
the principal,” he said.
“The Nigerian electorate are out to do
the right thing,” he concluded. “They can
see the school, the roof. They can see
what is happening.”
He exhorted the diaspora to play its
part. “By having an effective opposition –
and we’re all oppositons – your country is getting better

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nigerianwatch.com%2Fpublication%2Fipad%2FJan_2013.pdf&ei=2GHrUOj5OOPT0QWrxYGABw&usg=AFQjCNErxA2Wg6KmNJR9kQxDfmsAH97-vA&sig2=IuS2fbTh52dG9fSyrJ-Bww
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by ak47mann(m): 1:24am On Jan 08, 2013
15 billon dollars without borrowing a dime,too much money dey anambra state..... cool

1 Like

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by KnowAll(m): 1:27am On Jan 08, 2013
he could'nt have invested $15 billion dollars directly. How much is the total allocation in 8 years or maybe he means he lobbied Direct Investment and Foreign Direct Investment to the tune of $15 billion dollars investment into d state, that would make sense. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:33am On Jan 08, 2013
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything; where is $15 billion showing in Anambra state -tourism? real estate? shopping malls? schools? hospitals? flyovers and superhighways? township roads in Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka?- where ?.....or was it invested mainly in stocks, shares and outside the state?

PS- does anyone have updates on the Orient refinery?

2 Likes

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by ak47mann(m): 1:47am On Jan 08, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything; where is $15 billion showing in Anambra state -tourism? real estate? shopping malls? schools? hospitals? flyovers and superhighways? township roads in Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka?- where ?.....or was it invested mainly in stocks, shares and outside the state?

anambra is a new state everything have to start from the scratched....knowAll made a big point here read his comment cool

1 Like

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by Nobody: 1:58am On Jan 08, 2013
I bet your Grand dad's testicles he mean 15Billion Naira; but white man sabi only Dollars and Pounds, so he just wrote Dollars.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:03am On Jan 08, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

You lack information!
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by CrazyMan(m): 3:01am On Jan 08, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything; where is $15 billion showing in Anambra state -tourism?
In as much as I'm not a fan of peter obi, I believe he's trying a bit.

PROUD-IGBO:
real estate?
Udoka and Ngozika Estates both in Awka are quite developed...even the commissioners quarters in Ifite-Awka is also presentable..they're all projects built by the state government.

PROUD-IGBO:
shopping malls?
How many states in Nigeria have state owned shopping mails?

PROUD-IGBO:
schools?
I don't know if you've heard of the Acronym ANIDS?

Anambra Integrated Development Strategy...with this strategy, gov peter obi made sure that every state owned secondary school was entitled to brand new ANIDS customized buses to ease students burden of transportation.

Customized 40, 60 and 80 leaves ANIDS exercise books, and biros...

A general renovation of most schools in the state.

And a well equipped library.

PROUD-IGBO:
hospitals?
I wouldn't say much here...but so far, he has done his best.

PROUD-IGBO:
flyovers and superhighways?
We have the onitsha flyover, and the Awka fly over...most high ways in Anambra state are perfect...the Onitsha-Agula road is perfect...the Ziks Avenue- Amawbia road is also intact. The Nibo-Nise-Mbaukwu road is also good.

PROUD-IGBO:
township roads in Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka?-
Awka has good roads..apart from the villages, it would be very difficult for you to come across a bad road in Awka.

Onitsha still needs much rehabilitation...one of the major roads there (onitsha-enugu expressway) seems to be taking ages for the government to bring it to completion.

For the past 6 years or so..I'm always encountering different kinds of bulldozers, caterpillars on that road...and yet the road still remains a mockery to the state

Peter Obi needs to work on it.
Newi roads also needs rehabilitation.

PROUD-IGBO:
where ?.....or was it invested mainly in stocks, shares and outside the state?
He used it to touch one or two things in the state...then embezzled the rest.

PROUD-IGBO:
Nothing...seems the place has become an underground refinery...I barely hear any news about it.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EkoIle1: 3:04am On Jan 08, 2013
$ 15 billion on what? Roundabout and Isi Ewu?

lmao...
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by Onlytruth(m): 3:29am On Jan 08, 2013
Eko Ile: $ 15 billion on what? Roundabout and Isi Ewu?

lmao...

cheesy cheesy

Una no de tire for tribalism, wallahi.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:32am On Jan 08, 2013
CrazyMan:
In as much as I'm not a fan of peter obi, I believe he's trying a bit.

Udoka and Ngozika Estates both in Awka are quite developed...even the commissioners quarters in Ifite-Awka is also presentable..they're all projects built by the state government.

How many states in Nigeria have state owned shopping mails?

I don't know if you've heard of the Acronym ANIDS?

Anambra Integrated Development Strategy...with this strategy, gov peter obi made sure that every state owned secondary school was entitled to brand new ANIDS customized buses to ease students burden of transportation.

Customized 40, 60 and 80 leaves ANIDS exercise books, and biros...

A general renovation of most schools in the state.

And a well equipped library.

I wouldn't say much here...but so far, he has done his best.

We have the onitsha flyover, and the Awka fly over...most high ways in Anambra state are perfect...the Onitsha-Agula road is perfect...the Ziks Avenue- Amawbia road is also intact. The Nibo-Nise-Mbaukwu road is also good.

Awka has good roads..apart from the villages, it would be very difficult for you to come across a bad road in Awka.

Onitsha still needs much rehabilitation...one of the major roads there (onitsha-enugu expressway) seems to be taking ages for the government to bring it to completion.

For the past 6 years or so..I'm always encountering different kinds of bulldozers, caterpillars on that road...and yet the road still remains a mockery to the state

Peter Obi needs to work on it.
Newi roads also needs rehabilitation.

He used it to touch one or two things in the state...then embezzled the rest.

Nothing...seems the place has become an underground refinery...I barely hear any news about it.

^^^So all this is in the region of $15 billion?......nice one wink.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EkoIle1: 3:37am On Jan 08, 2013
Onlytruth:

cheesy cheesy

Una no de tire for tribalism, wallahi.

Tribalism is you labeling everything tribalism and equating everything with tribalism. Look in the mirror.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by Onlytruth(m): 3:43am On Jan 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Tribalism is you labeling everything tribalism and equating everything with tribalism. Look in the mirror.

So, if you are not talking out of tribal bias and hate, how much isi ewu can you buy with $15 billion?
Omo, repent. This is 2013. wink
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by CrazyMan(m): 3:52am On Jan 08, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
I guess they meant N15 billion not $15 billion. wink
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EkoIle1: 3:53am On Jan 08, 2013
Onlytruth:

So, if you are not talking out of tribal bias and hate, how much isi ewu can you buy with $15 billion?
Omo, repent. This is 2013. wink

Look here, I'm not responsible for your tribal coloration and disposition and I owe you no explanation especially to justify and promote your tribal insecurities.

Argue this with yourself till you turn black and blue. A dedicated tribalist like you too dey talk? Wonders shall never end.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by FreeGlobe(f): 4:21am On Jan 08, 2013
smh at this man, maybe the monies were invested in his grand brewery, fidelity bank, his malls in Abuja, sab Miller all acquired with state funds, calculate all the measly projects and investments this crook has done in Anambra and its not up to 50 million dollars. This discombulated fellow thinks good governance is about abandoning your entorage when you want to travel abroad and pocketing their monies which will be appropriated
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by ba7man(m): 4:24am On Jan 08, 2013
15 billion dollars is a lot of money. There should be far more on ground than what is.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by Abagworo(m): 6:37am On Jan 08, 2013
There was a mistake on the currency I believe. I've come to realize that many Governors I often despised have done marvelously well when compared with resources at their disposal. After reading that Akwa-Ibom thread and realizing that most States were getting mere 2.6billion monthly while Lagos, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa were getting over 12billion. It is safe to commend Peter Obi especially and T.A. Orji for being able to Govern very difficult States with heavy challenges and without borrowing.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by geeez: 6:57am On Jan 08, 2013
Hehehehehehehehehehehe

Fifteen bullion or billion?
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EkoIle1: 7:30am On Jan 08, 2013
geeez: Hehehehehehehehehehehe

Fifteen bullion or billion?

Sometimes I feel sorry for the mumu people and their con men leaders.

Let's break it down...

Anambra's budget for 2013 is N110 billion and this is the highest so far.

So let's say Anambra's budget for the past six years = N110 billion/year.

So let's add 110 x 6 = N660 billion for the past 6 years

Meaning the state's budget for six years is 660 billion, but the governo said he invested $15 billion = N2 trillion

The question now is, the $15 billion/N2 trillion came from where considering the fact that they are saying they didn't borrow any money.

Obviously, somebody is lying and scheming... lmao

smh....
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by FreeGlobe(f): 7:55am On Jan 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Sometimes I feel sorry for the mumu people and their con men leaders.

Let's break it down...

Anambra's budget for 2013 is N110 billion and this is the highest so far.

So let's say Anambra's budget for the past six years = N110 billion/year.

So let's add 110 x 6 = N660 billion for the past 6 years

Meaning the state's budget for six years is 660 billion, but the governo said he invested $15 billion = N2 trillion

The question now is, the $15 billion/N2 trillion came from where considering the fact that they are saying they didn't borrow any money.

Obviously, somebody is lying and scheming... lmao

smh....
methinks you should worry about your con artist boss Fashola caught red handed trying to claim honor for a private project belonging to Coscharis. Even going as far as changing the company name to CG. meaning coscharis group so that fools wont decipher the meaning. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EASTSIDAZ: 11:55pm On Jan 11, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

Not really. Obi meant that both FDIs and other oncoming investors has sunk over 15B. Sabmiller alone has invested over 15B in Onitsha and more are coming up in Awka and other parts of the state. Orient Petroleum has since resumed exploration and refining in Anambra after investing billions in the state.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by vanbonattel: 12:21am On Jan 12, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

He invested the billions and the state changed to this.....

Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by Nightshift(m): 12:37am On Jan 12, 2013
Do folks know what $15billion means? Almost the total of East African countries annual budget together . Have we lost our mind?
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by vanbonattel: 12:53am On Jan 12, 2013
Nightshift: Do folks know what $15billion means? Almost the total of East African countries annual budget together . Have we lost our mind?

When the masses are hypnotized, they become zombies and can only believe every lie like NRI PRIEST believes Obi
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:59am On Jan 12, 2013
Abagworo: There was a mistake on the currency I believe. I've come to realize that many Governors I often despised have done marvelously well when compared with resources at their disposal. After reading that Akwa-Ibom thread and realizing that most States were getting mere 2.6billion monthly while Lagos, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa were getting over 12billion. It is safe to commend Peter Obi especially and T.A. Orji for being able to Govern very difficult States with heavy challenges and without borrowing.

This is the Abagworo I yearn for; We must not fail to understand that Anambra prior to the coming of Obi has no goverment fabric,whatsoever. He had to start from absolutely nothing and today Anambra is financially better off that most states created before her. Peter Obi has brought a lot of transformation to the state. Today,we have commisioners quaters,goverment secretariat,judges quaters and all the missing components of a serious goverment.
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by vanbonattel: 1:06am On Jan 12, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

This is the Abagworo I yearn for; We must not fail to understand that Anambra prior to the coming of Obi has no goverment fabric,whatsoever. He had to start from absolutely nothing and today Anambra is financially better off that most states created before her. Peter Obi has brought a lot of transformation to the state. Today,we have commisioners quaters,goverment secretariat,judges quaters and all the missing components of a serious goverment.

You are yarning dust......

Any transformation nonsense that does not impact the lives of the common man on the street (the greater population) is absolute rubbbbbbbish
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by EASTSIDAZ: 1:17am On Jan 12, 2013
van bonattel:

You are yarning dust......

Any transformation nonsense that does not impact the lives of the common man on the street (the greater population) is absolute rubbbbbbbish

Wawa man get off the road. grin grin

Obi has created more employment for the common man more than all the SE state put togather. Enugu state was rated as the most indebted and poor state in SE. Also the enugu state is economically and financially dead by the Senate committee
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by vanbonattel: 1:25am On Jan 12, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Wawa man get off the road. grin grin

Obi has created more employment for the common man more than all the SE state put togather. Enugu state was rated as the most indebted and poor state in SE. Also the enugu state is economically and financially dead by the Senate committee

Name the places obi created employment?
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:04am On Jan 12, 2013
van bonattel:

Name the places obi created employment?

Innoson motors.
Sabmiller brewery.
Onitsha river port.
Orient refinery.
Orange drugs.
The rice mill he took from the feds.
The construction of roads to the farming communities around Anam areas who used to use canoes to bring out their farm produce.
The first and second Onitsha business center.
The new general hospital in Awka.
These are just the few I can remember now...and also a south african company is about to re-awake the old Onicha Bottling company...this alone can create about 500 jobs....welu ile gi guo eze gi onu!
Re: Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion by vyqtour(m): 1:00pm On Oct 28, 2014
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Governor Sullivan Chime Finally Arrives Enugu In Good Health (pics) / Fg Urged To Change Country's Name from Nigeria to People Republic of Africa / Oluwole Awolowo Is Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.