Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,324 members, 7,881,207 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:18 PM

FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty (6777 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / FG, Fuel Marketers Agree To End Fuel Scarcity Next Week. / Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year- Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by israel007: 7:50am On Jan 08, 2013
January 8, 2013 by Ifeanyi Onuba ⁠40 Comments

Three weeks after the National Assembly approved a N161.6bn supplementary budget for  payment of fuel subsidy for 2012, the subsidy account with the Central Bank of Nigeria has yet to be backed by cash by the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

The PUNCH’s investigations showed that oil marketers, who went to the CBN on Monday, were turned back on the grounds that the subsidy account with the bank had not been credited.

Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
| credits: File copy

Our correspondent learnt that the oil marketers had been issued Sovereign Debt Notes from the Debt Management Office following the passage of the N161.6bn supplementary bill by the National Assembly.

The Federal Government normally issues oil marketers with SDNs as  security against any delay in payment of subsidy for imported cargoes.

SDN, which is another name for government borrowing, is like Treasury Bills and can be discounted for cash, though while the former is a short-term borrowing, the latter is for long term.

The issuance of the SDNs by the DMO, it was learnt, was to allow the CBN quickly fund the marketers’ accounts with their respective Deposit Money Banks.

A top official in one of the oil marketing companies confirmed to our correspondent during a telephone interview that they were turned back by the CBN.

The source, who pleaded not to be named as he was not officially permitted to speak on the issue, said accounts of  all oil marketers who had been issued with DMBs could not be credited because the subsidy account with the CBN was empty.

He said, “There might be another round of scarcity because most of us are still being owed by the Federal Government.

“This is because the subsidy account in the CBN has not been credited. When the supplementary budget was passed, the Ministry of Finance said they are going to pay us so they asked the DMO to issue us with SDNs. This is a note that would enable the CBN to credit our accounts with commercial banks.

“We took it to the CBN but we were surprised at what happened. They told us that the subsidy account has not been credited because the N161bn has not been converted to cash by the ministry of finance.

“It is the Minister of Finance that usually tells the Accountant General of the Federation to fund the account; but as I speak to you, this has not been done. So we are still being owed.”

When contacted on the issue, the Director, Corporate Communications Department of the CBN, Mr Ugochukwu Okoroafor, said the issue of fuel subsidy payment was the role of the Ministry of Finance and not that of the bank.

He said, “It is not our responsibility. Our own job is that of a banker and customer relationship and that confidentiality must be respected. Let them (marketers) check with the Ministry of Finance.”

Efforts to get the Special Assistant, Communications, to Okonjo-Iweala, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, were not successful as he did not pick calls sent to his phone.

A text message sent to his mobile phone had also not been acknowledged as of the time of filing this report.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on December 11 sent a request to the National Assembly to approve an additional N161.6bn to ensure steady supply of petroleum products during the festive season.

The development had reportedly brought a relief to oil marketers who had not been able to import petroleum products owing to the huge debt burden from the Federal Government.

Scarcity of petrol had started with the Yuletide, but assurances by the authorities had raised hopes of a quick solution.

But despite the assurances, there were fuel queues in many parts of the country, a development the Petroleum Products Marketing Company blamed on panic buying by Nigerians as well as the fire outbreak at Ijeododo, Lagos.

The company had attributed the scarcity in Lagos area to the fire outbreak, while it said the one in Abuja was a result of normal panic buying during festivities

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-fuel-subsidy-account-empty/
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by geeez: 7:52am On Jan 08, 2013
Why am I not surprised?
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by israel007: 8:28am On Jan 08, 2013
Where is our country headed? Is Jonathan sleeping or just merely clueless
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by eduson33(m): 9:24am On Jan 08, 2013
why should i be surprised?

**sitting on transformer,smoking ma weed and scratching my plantain***

tell me more ,maybe i will get surprised soon

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Goldenheart(m): 9:24am On Jan 08, 2013
Ya right; keep praying for G.E.J/ F.G n not cussing......
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by TCD: 9:24am On Jan 08, 2013
Subsidy account Empty? Search Jonathan's pocket, Its in there.

Or

They should Search this boy's big stomach. All the subsidy money has disappeared into that belle.

9 Likes

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by takedat(m): 9:27am On Jan 08, 2013
The N161billion na Christmas bonus to GEJ and his gang of thieves

2 Likes

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by pat077: 9:33am On Jan 08, 2013
Na today?
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Tolexander: 9:33am On Jan 08, 2013
Goldenheart: Ya right; keep praying for G.E.J/ F.G n not cussing......
nobody is cussing him but cursing him!
Moreover i dont see any curse in recognising and regarding a madman as a madman. Just like calling a doctor a doctor, that is the case of GEJ and retardeen

@topic! Do you expect any good thing to come out of the nazareth of nigerian subsidy account? Account opened to rob Peter to pay Paul.
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Okijajuju1(m): 9:33am On Jan 08, 2013
We want to see the statement of account and Passbook!... angry

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by outrage: 9:34am On Jan 08, 2013
And how is this news?
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by igbsam(m): 9:34am On Jan 08, 2013
The money don hang for air........dem don chop am clean mouth. Corrupt government. No wonder sambo dey spend billions dey build house.
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by symbian03(m): 9:35am On Jan 08, 2013
Still, God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by lookmangiw(m): 9:37am On Jan 08, 2013
please i need honest answers. where are all this money taken to?
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by delkuf(m): 9:40am On Jan 08, 2013
Nigeria, dis country will never change
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 08, 2013
The Subsidy Account at CBN has not been credited and they go to press ? All these years that Marketers have been robbing this country, did they go to press ? When they receive the money eventually will they go to press ? I am of the notion that subsidy should be removed 100%. N161b is enough to transform my village to New York within 1 yr and thats what is going to tbe paid to thesee disloyal marketers and the cash will find its way our of the borders.
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by abdul23(m): 9:40am On Jan 08, 2013
And they say we should keep praying 4 them!.smh
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Tolexander: 9:42am On Jan 08, 2013
outrage: And how is this news?
it is a news cos it is on the newspaper page
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Emusan(m): 9:49am On Jan 08, 2013
israel007: Where is our country headed? Is Jonathan sleeping or just merely clueless

@ bolded
Israel gringringrin

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Emusan(m): 9:52am On Jan 08, 2013
lookmangiw: please i need honest answers. where are all this money taken to?

From who
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by sayso: 9:53am On Jan 08, 2013
why she dey look the boy like dat
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by lagcity(m): 9:53am On Jan 08, 2013
fresh air my a55. two ppl with PhD (Jonathan and Iweala) can't run a govt. A fifteen yr old can run a more efficient govt than these two. smh.
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by israel007: 9:55am On Jan 08, 2013
Emusan:

@ bolded
Israel gringringrin

Ok you got me hands down! Badt guys
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 08, 2013
TCD: Subsidy account Empty? Search Jonathan's pocket, Its in there.

Or

They should Search this boy's big stomach. All the subsidy money has disappeared into that belle.

lol,
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by najoke: 10:01am On Jan 08, 2013
Billyonaire[s:
]The Subsidy Account at CBN has not been credited and they go to press ? All these years that Marketers have been robbing this country, did they go to press ? When they receive the money eventually will they go to press ? I am of the notion that subsidy should be removed 100%.[/s] N161b is enough to transform my village to New York within 1 yr [s]and thats what is going to tbe paid to thesee disloyal marketers and the cash will find its way our of the borders.
[/s]

u see the highlighted.....it is not the marketers that came up with that amount,na ur oga send the amount to National assembly to approve. You shld be askn how did your oga come up with such amount that can transform ya village to pay as you said "disloyal" marketer.

hmmmmmm.......this ur statement makes me think of the RETARDEEN'S THEORY

2 Likes

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 08, 2013
It appears some people don't read before commenting.

The Ministry of Finance has not given orders for the Account to be funded, not that the money that was in the account disappeared.

IMO, The Minister of Finance may have her reasons, let's just see how this unfolds.
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by moneyhungry(m): 10:04am On Jan 08, 2013
stop telling me jokes. hahaha. stop!

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by ignis: 10:10am On Jan 08, 2013
Subsidy account empty?
How does that concern the poor masses?
Ω̴̩̩̩̥α their business joor
Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:12am On Jan 08, 2013
Hello GEJ

1 Like

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Ngozi thief,no wonder she didnt get that world bank job,they blew away billions in months..God send down archangel Uriel the angel of vengenace ,the fire of God to judge them

2 Likes

Re: FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty by Vikol(m): 10:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Watin dis govt wan tel us?we no c d buses de promise nau na d money no de.GOD pls help naija.I pray 4 change in ledership.amen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Something Is Wrong About This Picture Of President Buhari Has He Attends Juma'at / NIGERIA-UAE DEAL: Experts Predict Rise In Foreign Investments, Revenue Boost / Ex-N'Delta militants Donate N52.7m To Flood Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.