Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,396 members, 7,950,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

American(black And White) Different Accent. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American(black And White) Different Accent. (6076 Views)

Rantings Of An African On African American "Black History Month" / What Do Nigerians Really Think About American Black People? / The Best African Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
Blyss:

He knows damn well that I've schooled his behind on this topic, but since it's me giving him the lesson, he'll never concede to that. He'll keep doing the circle jerk around here, on this already concluded topic until folk just get tired of posting in this resolved topic of a thread. cheesy
stop being insecure , you are the only one denying what others people like me have realized. what makes an accent? i scrolled up and i haven't seen your a undecidednswer.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:02am On Jan 14, 2013
Who's watching BET?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 4:29am On Jan 14, 2013
H-Star89:

she is, well half wink ..Igbo mom and white dad

Ok, cool.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 4:32am On Jan 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: thanks, i thought i was crazy

You are crazy, as well as obviously blind or hampered with poor reading comprehension.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 4:33am On Jan 14, 2013
Blyss:

You are crazy, as well as obviously blind or hampered with poor reading comprehension.
thank you my question still stands.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 4:41am On Jan 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: thank you my question still stands.

Sorry, I don't like repeating myself over and over again, the answer is present on page 2, if you want to act as though you can not comprehend it, or you simply refuse to accept the facts presented then that's fine with me. I'm moving on, Ace.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 4:47am On Jan 14, 2013
Blyss:

This topic is stupid. There are all kinds of accents in this nation; there are city/urban based accents and regional accents. In general most of the natives of a particular city or region speak in the same accent, what you Africans are hearing is a possible difference in the pitch of the voice between various groups, but even this isn't totally the case. Some blacks have more of a typical white pitch when they talk, and some whites have a typical black pitch as I've shown in the case of rapper Paul Wall. Accent is based on form, not pitch; yes blacks in generally tend to most often have more base in their voice than whites, but this dose not correlate to the two groups having a different accent. You people are confusing accent with tone of voice.
if that's your answer then you are the clueless here, you clearly don't know what is and what makes an accent. Anyway your presence here is not indispensable,goodbye.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 4:54am On Jan 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: if that's your answer then you are the clueless here, you clearly don't know what is and what makes an accent. Anyway your presence here is not indispensable,goodbye.

Question; when you are yelling your words at someone, does your accent change during the process?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by newmusic: 8:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Guys calm down...
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:28am On Jan 18, 2013
H-Star89:
Hopefully an actual african american or white american will comment tongue

What exactly is an "actual African-American"?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 18, 2013
yorubaamerican: What exactly is an "actual African-American"?

Someone with TWO African-American parents tongue

1 Like

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 3:53pm On Jan 18, 2013
H-Star89:

OK, if you say so. But I would say that as long as you have African ancestors who were brought to America as slaves you're African-American - in other words, you can't be half, either you're African-American or not!

1 Like

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 5:56pm On Jan 18, 2013
H-Star89:

Well that's me, and I've given the answer to the question asked.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
yorubaamerican: But I would say that as long as you have African ancestors who were brought to America as slaves you're African-American

Um yea basically smiley

yorubaamerican: in other words, you can't be half, either you're African-American or not!

Well thats what I said; Have to have two African-American parents in order to be African-American.. But I'm proud to be what I am though wink

Blyss: Well that's me, and I've given the answer to the question asked.

Ok ok.. I've gotten a chance to meet more of my dad's side of the family from louisiana; Country folks are interesting grin ..... Oh and I'm hooked on Zydeco now Lol!
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 18, 2013
Blyss:

Question; when you are yelling your words at someone, does your accent change during the process?
undecided.. nooo
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 4:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
Well thats what I said; Have to have two African-American parents in order to be African-American.. But I'm proud to be what I am though wink
[quote][/quote]

We're not saying the same thing. I'm saying that with one African-American parent, you're African-American. Anyway, to each its own. Since I was born and raised (socialized) in the U.S. (I think you were too, am I right?) I'm African-American. Having one Nigerian parent doesn't make me Nigerian - it may be so by Nigerian standards but I get to determine my identity. So the whole Nigerian-American thing makes no sense to me...let alone the half African-American thing.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 4:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=H-Star89]

We're not saying the same thing. I'm saying that with one African-American parent, you're African-American. Anyway, to each its own. Since I was born and raised (socialized) in the U.S. (I think you were too, am I right?) I'm African-American. Having one Nigerian parent doesn't make me Nigerian - it may be so by Nigerian standards but I get to determine my identity. So the whole Nigerian-American thing makes no sense to me.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 7:42pm On Jan 19, 2013
H-Star89:

Um yea basically smiley

Ok ok.. I've gotten a chance to meet more of my dad's side of the family from louisiana; Country folks are interesting grin ..... Oh and I'm hooked on Zydeco now Lol!

We're not saying the same thing. I'm saying that with one African-American parent, you're African-American. Anyway, to each its own. Since I was born and raised (socialized) in the U.S. (I think you were too, am I right?) I'm African-American. Having one Nigerian parent doesn't make me Nigerian - it may be so by Nigerian standards but I get to determine my identity. So the whole Nigerian-American thing makes no sense to me...let alone the half African-American thing.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
yorubaamerican: I'm saying that with one African-American parent, you're African-American.

No, with one African American parent, you're Half African American/Half what ever else you're mix with.

yorubaamerican: Since I was born and raised (socialized) in the U.S. (I think you were too, am I right?) I'm African-American.

You don't share the same culture, HISTORY or genetic make up as African Americans, so you aren't one.

yorubaamerican: So the whole Nigerian-American thing makes no sense to me...

You have Nigerian parents don't you? You were born in the U.S. weren't you? It makes plenty of sense.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
yorubaamerican: but I get to determine my identity.

If you are mixed, not really; Accept all of what you are.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
H-Star89:

If you are mixed, not really; Accept all of what you are.

I'm not mixed. Being mixed comes into play when you have a parent who is not of African-descent in any way, shape, or form. I have one Nigerian parent and I do accept all that I am. I'm African-American (a term I don't really agree with most of the time) and Yoruba (being Yoruba and being Nigerian are mutually exclusive, besides both titles, African-American and Yoruba, were created by Europeans, go figure). You act as if being Nigerian is something that is determined by genetics, it's not - therefore, being half-Nigerian makes no sense. Africans are identified by tribe, not relatively new nationalities that were created in the early 1900s.

People get to determine what their identity is, no one can determine it for them.

And, yes I do share the same culture, history, and genetic make-up with African-Americans (I have four great-grandparents who were slaves in the cotton fields of Mississippi and Louisiana, not to mention those who came before them), all Africans (the so-called AAs and those born and raised in Africa) are connected. We create differences among ourselves, when in reality we're all one!

One cannot be "half" anything when talking about African-identities that weren't created by us. We need to understand this. And we need to stop accepting their classifications. The only person who is considered Nigerian American, imho, is a Nigerian immigrant in the U.S (that's someone who moved to the U.S. from Nigeria and later obtained citizenship). Stop going by what they say you are, you are what you consider yourself to be. Define your identity for yourself. You can say you're half-Nigerian and half African-American if you want to but don't try to force others to be what you deem appropriate.

Do you hear Europeans basing their identities on our standards? No. That's because we have no standards. Just about everything we know or understand about our heritage (this includes so-called African-Americans and Nigerians) was taught to us by them.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
yorubaamerican:

I'm not mixed. Being mixed comes into play when you have a parent who is not of African-descent in any way, shape, or form. I have one Nigerian parent and I do accept all that I am. I'm African-American (a term I don't really agree with most of the time) and Yoruba (being Yoruba and being Nigerian are mutually exclusive, besides both titles, African-American and Yoruba, were created by Europeans, go figure). You act as if being Nigerian is something that is determined by genetics, it's not - therefore, being half-Nigerian makes no sense. Africans are identified by tribe, not relatively new nationalities that were created in the early 1900s.

People get to determine what their identity is, no one can determine it for them.

And, yes I do share the same culture, history, and genetic make-up with African-Americans (I have four great-grandparents who were slaves in the cotton fields of Mississippi and Louisiana, not to mention those who came before them), all Africans (the so-called AAs and those born and raised in Africa) are connected. We create differences among ourselves, when in reality we're all one!

One cannot be "half" anything when talking about African-identities that weren't created by us. We need to understand this. And we need to stop accepting their classifications. The only person who is considered Nigerian American, imho, is a Nigerian immigrant in the U.S (that's someone who moved to the U.S. from Nigeria and later obtained citizenship). Stop going by what they say you are, you are what you consider yourself to be. Define your identity for yourself. You can say you're half-Nigerian and half African-American if you want to but don't try to force others to be what you deem appropriate.

Do you hear Europeans basing their identities on our standards? No. That's because we have no standards. Just about everything we know or understand about our heritage (this includes so-called African-Americans and Nigerians) was taught to us by them.

shocked I don't think all of this is necessary but ok
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2013
H-Star89:

shocked I don't think all of this is necessary but ok

Yeah, I went a bit overboard. But we must understand all the things that I mentioned if we wish to move forward.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 21, 2013
yorubaamerican: Yeah, I went a bit overboard. But we must understand all the things that I mentioned if we wish to move forward.

As a race?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
H-Star89:

As a race?

No. As people in general.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:11am On Jan 22, 2013
yorubaamerican:

No. As people in general.

Oh
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by SAFO(m): 1:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
I consider myself Nigerian regardless that my mom is AA but I fully understand where you're coming from.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Eastern Nigerians From Central Africa? / I NEED Clarification About Ngwa Culture In Abia State / Water Or Tissue Paper When You Crap?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.