Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,206 members, 7,977,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:10 AM

Its The Day For Yar Adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Its The Day For Yar Adua (823 Views)

Sad Day For Obasanjo - Bolanle Bolawole (Nigerian Tribune) / Shehu Musa Yar Adua Joined The Army In 1964 / The Internet, Nigeria Newspaper, Oga Yar Adua And Sss Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Its The Day For Yar Adua by eleda(m): 3:53am On Feb 26, 2008
Which way will the pendulum of justice swing today?

File
President Umaru Yar’Adua

This is one question that the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal will provide an answer to as it delivers judgment in the petitions in which two presidential candidates are seeking the nullification of the April 21, 2007 poll.

Incidentally, Presidential Umaru Yar’Adua, whose victory in the election is being contested by Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari of the All Nigeria Peoples Party, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of Action Congress, leaves Abuja today for a trip to China.

The tribunal had last week sent notices to the lawyers of the petitioners and defendants informing them that judgment would be given on February 26.

It closed hearing in the petitions by Buhari and Abubakar on February 5, 2008 and reserved judgment after all the parties had argued their cases.

Buhari, a former Head of State, is, among others, asking that the election be voided on the grounds that it was marred by widespread irregularities and that Yar’Adua of the Peoples Democratic Party did not score the highest number of votes cast.

Abubakar, an ex-Vice-President, also asked for the nullification of the poll because of malpractices.

Among other resaons he cited for his request is that he was excluded from contesting the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

As part of its efforts to lessen anxiety among Nigerians, the tribunal on Monday granted the requests of some broadcasting stations to transmit the judgment live.

The media outfits that got the approval are the Nigerian Television Authority, CHANNELS, Africa Independent Television and the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria.

Also in Abuja, the Police authorities, in their bid to prevent a breakdown of law and order, on Monday positioned battle-ready policemen opposite the headquarters of the ANPP.

They also stationed an Armoured Personnel Carrier and a contingent of combat-ready policemen at the main gate of National Assembly.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps also moved to compliment the efforts of the Police by deploying over 17,000 officers and men in Abuja, and other parts of the country to ensure peace and order during and after the judgment.

It said that 2,000 out of the 17,000 officers were posted to strategic locations in Abuja for the purpose.

The Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC, Mr. Emmanuel Okeh, who disclosed this in an interview with our correspondents, said the remaining officers were deployed in Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Adamawa, Bauchi, Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa States.

Okeh said that the NSCDC was prepared to prevent those who might want to take law into their hands “if the verdict of the tribunal did not go the way they want it.”

He said, “We want people to go about their normal business because there is no cause to panic.

“The NSCDC, like other security agencies, will ensure that nothing untoward happens in any part of the country during and after the judgment of the tribunal.

“We have mapped out plan to deploy our men in all the nooks and crannies of Abuja and in other parts of the country to ensure maximum peace and orderliness.

“We are ready at all times to ensure safety of lives and property in the country.”

As at 12 p.m. when our correspondents visited Area 3, where the Court of Appeal whic is sitting as the tribunal is located, only the policemen attached to justices of the court were seen.

The courtroom where the panel sat and took evidence during the hearing of the petitions was under lock and key.

At the AC secretariat in Abuja, a source told our correspondents that Abubakar’s running mate, Senator Ben Obi, would lead other party bigwigs to hear the judgment.

Some of the ANPP chieftains to witness the judgment are the National Chairman, Chief Bisi Akande; Chief Audu Ogbeh; Chief Tom Ikimi; Alhaji Lawal Keita; and a former Senate President, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu.

Meanwhile, the conduct of government business at the Presidential Villa was minimal on Monday.

The only notable public figure that visited was the Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Temipre Sylva.

Sylva, who fielded questions from State House correspondents, expressed confidence that the PDP would emerge victorious at tribunal

He said, “We are very optimistic in PDP. We have had a good case, and I believe that there is no way we will not get victory tomorrow(today).

“We have just won in Abia. I believe that tomorrow (today), our victory will be crowned.”
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by Kobojunkie: 5:00am On Feb 26, 2008
Well, I will not be surprised if the day comes and goes like every other day and the man remains where he is though. I wait for the justice system to prove me wrong.
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 26, 2008
well, the much harped rule of law will prevail, whatever happens.
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by Nobody: 5:46am On Feb 26, 2008
and there is one thing for sure, this is the most eagerly awaited news for today, the world over.you bet, if it goes yar aduas way, aso rock will be flooded with ambassadors.
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 26, 2008
and there is one thing for sure, this is the most eagerly awaited news for today, the world over.you bet, if it goes yar aduas way, aso rock will be flooded with ambassadors.
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by SkyBlue1: 5:54am On Feb 26, 2008
If it goes Yaradua's way it would also be a big blow for the rule of law. Basically if the verdict goes Yaradua's way without a proper explanation as to why, with all the evidence, then they would be saying that politicians can rig elections and get away with it. With the way Nigeria is, i am soo against the status quo of business as usual and i am looking forward to a day when business as usual in Nigeria will mean 'rule of law' as opposed to injustice and corruption. I eagerly await the verdict and perhaps moreso the explanation to the verdict whichever way it goes (although if Yaradua loses then there might be no need to explain why  smiley).
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by almondjoy(f): 8:04am On Feb 26, 2008
. . . . . . . .And if it doesn't go Yaradua's way? undecided  What dummy is Nigeria going to be foisted up with next?

I tire for this jungle politics.  Just shows how unstable Nigeria is. If this is what it takes to get things together, so be it.  But what is the "exit strategy"? undecided

What is the "contingent plan"?

Atiku and Duke? undecided
Re: Its The Day For Yar Adua by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 26, 2008
i stay at area 2 garki, abuja. since about 7am this morning we've been disturbed by sirens and the sound of fast moving cars along moshood abiola way. guess the stake holders are positioning themselves for the outcome.

nigerian politics sef, why does it take almost a year to right electoral wrongs? angry . anyways i hope yardy remains and does his thing till 2011 when he should quit; the country's better of that way.

(1) (Reply)

Kidnappers Threaten To Kill Oil Magnate’s Wife, Family - Slash Ransom To N500m / Do You Have The Right Leader? / Hillary And Mccain’s Gas Tax Holiday = Nigerian Email Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.