Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,587 members, 7,878,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 01:20 AM

Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member (1706 Views)

Peter Nwaoboshi Buries His Father In Delta (pics) / Court Dismisses Udom Emmanuel’s Appeal, Voids Poll In 18 LGAs / Oyo Gov Election result collation(Live update from inec office AGodi Via B.C.O.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by AH2MUCH: 4:11am On Feb 26, 2008
Tribunal voids Orji (Abia state gov) says he faild to prove beyond resoanble doubt that he is not a cult member, then give the mandate to Onyema Ugochukwu (pdp),
my question:
1 is it the duty of the tribunal to screen and investigate?
2screening and inestigation of such is it done before or after election
3 was the tribunal able to prove beyond reasonble doubt that he is  a cult member (because i will like to how thy dd it)

News[b] from Africa

25/02/2008 12:35 LAGOS, Feb 25 (AFP)
Nigeria court voids another state governor election: report

A Nigerian tribunal Monday voided the election of another state governor, Theodore Orji of the eastern Abia state, voted into office in April 2007, Channels television reported.

The tribunal, in the Abia state capital Umuahia, ruled that Orji, from the opposition People's Progressive Alliance, had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he is not a member of a notorious secret cult.

The court ordered Orji replaced by Onyema Ugochukwu of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP).

Orji is the latest in a series of state governors to see their elections voided.

Tuesday a tribunal in the federal capital Abuja hearing petitions contesting the results of the April 2007 presidential election will rule on whether Umaru Yar'Adua remains as president.[/b][i][/i]
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by almondjoy(f): 8:14am On Feb 26, 2008
So PDP truly won in Abia? cheesy

Wow.

I'll be damned then! cry

I thought we were supposed to be laying the tombstone for PDP in Nigeria? It looks like it is getting stronger Post-OBJ third term tricks.

May God continue to help us all!

Amen! grin
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by ndubest(m): 12:25pm On Feb 26, 2008
am confused here shocked shocked shocked

Is the tribunal there to determine what happened before or what happened during the election

Is the tribunal there to determine the eligibility of candidate or who won the election

please someone with a copy of the electoral law should educate me oooo

because i dont understand where you declare someone winner and still state that he didnt have majority of the vote cast in the election
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by Reptyle(m): 1:54pm On Feb 26, 2008
almondjoy:

So PDP truly won in Abia? cheesy

Wow.

I'll be damned then! cry

I thought we were supposed to be laying the tombstone for PDP in Nigeria? It looks like it is getting stronger Post-OBJ third term tricks.

May God continue to help us all!

Amen! grin

No Almondjoy, PDP did not win Abia. According to this "learned" judge, PPA won with an overwhelming majority. But because the governor failed to resign his appointment 30 days to the elections and is allegedly a member of a secret cult, the "overwhelming majority" who voted him as their governor have been disenfranchised while the minority who voted for PDP have now carried the day. Twisted logic if you ask me. I do not think this grossly illogical verdict will stand the test of an appeal because if it does, it will set a dangerous precedent viz: If you lose at the polls, you can still be declared winner if you capitalize on such trivial technicalities as done by this judge. I am not a lawyer but in my own humble and "un-learned" opinion, methinks that this judge, having found as he did that the PPA fielded a candidate that breached certain aspects of the electoral law, should have nullified the election and called for fresh elections from which the incumbent PPA candidate would be excluded and replaced with a more credible candidate. But then again, I am not "learned" now, am I? grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by almondjoy(f): 3:35pm On Feb 26, 2008
In other words PDP finally won. cheesy

By hook or by crook!

I dey hail ooooooooooooooh!

Chai!

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat! grin
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by ndubest(m): 3:51pm On Feb 26, 2008
almondjoy:

In other words PDP finally won. cheesy

By hook or by crook!

I dey hail ooooooooooooooh!

Chai!

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat! grin

The case will still go to Appeal court and i think the postion taken by RETYPE would have been the best way out

Annul the election and conduct fresh one instead declaring a candidate who you rightly noted did not win the voters mandate as winner

that the election was technically flawed by PPA presenting a wrong candidate does not make the person that came second the winner

well, "learned" gentlemen in court of appeal will have the final say
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by debosky(m): 3:59pm On Feb 26, 2008
The election was not flawed, PPA's candidate disqualified himself by being a member of a secret cult, as well as not resigning, so by those two counts, he disqualified himself and his party from the race. Its not as if PPA and PDP were the only contestants in the race, but the PPA blew it for themselves, and since Ugochukwu had the second highest number of votes, he is the rightful winner.

Its like saying during a 100m race where Ben Johnson won on drugs, that the race should be rerun? No. Johnson disqualified himself and Carl Lewis becomes the champion.

As to how his membership of a cult organisation was proved, the 'Secretary' grin grin Of Okija shrine came to testify, and apparently his testimony withstood the rigors of cross examination.

Most damning of all was a 28 second video clip showing Orji's initiation into the cult WHICH HE DID NOT DENY. Even if we forget the aspect of not resigning, he cannot sit as governor because of the secret cult charge.
Re: Tribunal Voids Abia State Gov's Election; Reason, He Is A Cult Member by creamdream: 4:04pm On Feb 26, 2008
too bad

(1) (Reply)

The Only Beautiful Picture Of Lucky Igbinedion / Governor Ikedi Ohakim Of Imo Politics With Bitterness A Non Performer / Gboyega Isiaka Is The Man To Beat In Ogun State - Ppn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.