Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,605 members, 7,892,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 12:31 PM

Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know (28585 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by primusmaximus: 3:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
Edikang Ikong (Edikaikong) and Affang Soup
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
zolajpower: WHAT ABOUT AGIDI?
AGIDI and hot Stew or Okpa!
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
nadia_SA: Great food cheesy cheesy Yummmm
Hmmmm...fine woman! See sexy shape,i wish i saw yhu first b4 that your husband! ....have yhu Drank Garri and Beans b4?
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 30, 2013
i-believe-u:
y must all treads on nairaland have tribal colorations?

What are you talking about ?

Just because she doesn't like certain food doesn't make her a tribal bigot.

Isn't nkwobi igbo ? But ogugua is igbo........

Dafuq undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Rooneyboy(m): 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
Where's my abacha
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2013
Rooneyboy: Where's my abacha

Love it cool
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
Risky_mallam: You've had Tuwo at various times, you just didn't realize it.

Tuwo is the hausa mans language for any kind of food that "You roll and swallow grin"

Garri is an example grin. Though there are various types of Tuwo: Shinkafa (Rice), Masara (Maize) etc.

Ohhhh really..... grin

Good to know
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
Rooneyboy: Where's my abacha
Bless yhu! White Abacha and aki oyibo or aku! Or maybe the real Abacha..
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by DollyParton1(f): 3:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
I'll give anything for Gari plus suya or Gari plus akara.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by immaq8(f): 3:13pm On Jul 30, 2013
AMALA, EWA AGO'YI, OBE-ATA, OFE OWERRI
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by ibelieveu: 3:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
adaobi123:

What are you talking about ?

Just because she doesn't like certain food doesn't make her a tribal bigot.

Isn't nkwobi igbo ? But ogugua is igbo........

Dafuq undecided
...a lost igbo I must add.

1 Like

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 30, 2013
i-believe-u:

Because I don't like nkwobi?

1 Like

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
i-believe-u:

Whatever undecided

1 Like

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by DollyParton1(f): 3:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
This so much noise about Nkwobi... I must try it next time am in naija
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Evestar200(f): 3:21pm On Jul 30, 2013
INCOMPLETE without BANGA SOUP & STARCH OR OWHO SOUP & STARCH lipsrsealed
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2013
i-believe-u:
Guys pls don't make this thread turn to another thinq! Its a fun thread for Kslib's sake!!!
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Vetsurgeon: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2013
Abujafood: The fact that Nigerians whether at home or abroad are passionate about their food is undeniable. Nigerian dishes are as numerous and varied as the different tribes, cultures and religions you will find in the country. Below we list 10 Nigerian food staples that are among some of the nations favourites. Feel free to agree, disagree or simply salivate.

Pounded Yam

Pounded Yam is one of Nigeria's most popular dishes that can be served with a variety of soups like Egusi, Ogbono and Okara soup. Yam, which is widely available is boiled and pounded into a smooth mash. You’ll most likely find people eating pounded yam with Egusi, Banga, Ogbono or some other meal.

Jollof Rice

Jollof Rice suprisingly is not authentic to Nigeria, it is actually popular across West Africa. It is easy and quick to make making it the go to recipe for most cooks. Jollof Rice like any other rice based meal in Nigeria is considered a prestigous meal and is served on special occassions and other social gatherings.

Akara/ Kosai

This Nigerian fried bean cake is served across Nigeria. In the South it is called Akara and in the North it is referred to as Kosai. You can find it being sold cheap on the road side or fried for special occassions. It's popularity is uncontested as you'll find Nigerians eating this snack for breakfast.

Tuwo Shinkafa

'Tuwo Shinkafa' translated from Hausa language means Mashed Rice. It is the go to side for many Nothern soups such as Miyan Kuka, Miyan Karkashi and even Okara soup in many Hausa-speaking communities. It is usually served daily for lunch or dinner.

Moin Moin

Moin Moin is a Nigerian steam bean pudding originating from South West Nigeria. Moin Moin can be made with corned beef, onions, egg, crayfish or sardine to give it that added flavour. It can be served alone as a snack or with other Nigerian dishes.

Pepper Soup

Nigerian pepper soup is among the nations favourite dishes due to its intensely spicy flavour and the variety of meat, fish or chicken that can be cooked with it. The soup broth is rich with aromatic spices, pepper, ginger, garlic and onions to give it that unforgettable taste.

White Rice with Stew

This may just be the most widely eaten meal in Nigeria. There is no community in any major town or city where rice and stew is not served. The boiled white rice is dished with a tomato based stew with your choice of meat, chicken or fish. The taste of Stew varies from cook to cook but many will agree that tomato, onions, pepper and oil make the core of this delicious stew.

Nkwobi

Nkowbi is a popular Ibo delicacy prepared from spiced goat leg marinated in a richly flavoured sauce of Utazi leaves, palm oil, For people looking to have a nice outing, a meal you can take as the African equivalent of an appetizer try pepper soup or dessert then you’ll be looking at Nkwobi. You’ll likely find them well served at Igbo kitchens in Major Nigerian Cities.

Suya

Suya should be crowned a national dish. Although Suya is a simple dish of higly spiced and marinated barbacued meat, chicken or fish, the popularity of this Nigerian delicacy is truly un-rivaled. You can find it across Nigeria served in restaurants to street corners at a very affordable price. In Abuja, Yahuza Suya is a popular suya spot with the locals. It can be served with Masa or eaten alone.

Garri

For the common man in Nigeria, this is one of those Nigerian meals that isn’t exclusive to tribe, geography or religion. It’s very hard to come across a Nigerian who has never had this meal in one form or another. It can be served in a variety of ways; with milk, pounded until it becomes a soft mash to eat with local soups, or sprinkled on beans.

http://www.abujafood.com/food-matters/food-a-drink/1075-top-10-nigerian-food-you-must-know.html
u didnt include soybeans cake/AWARA. Why now. And even beans soup.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Rooneyboy(m): 3:29pm On Jul 30, 2013
My abacha and kanda + fried fish . cool

........Add it now poster b4 I vex .
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
Ive only had 5 of those... cry im not Nigerian enough.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Jovanna(f): 3:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
Garri on my mind!
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Gracefil(f): 3:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
i-believe-u:
Incomplete tread... Ofe akwu on my mind biko!
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by juman(m): 3:51pm On Jul 30, 2013
Burger01:

... and gbegiri!!!

grin

And ekuru.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Btruth: 3:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
How come you are leaving IKOKORE behind now.....?
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Ifedechidex: 3:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
slimyem: strongly agree.

hw could dis poster have forgotten beans
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by DisGuy: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2013
WHO Eats tuwo chinkafa with gbegiri eww

you're taking tuwo for tuwo chinkafa!

Nkwobi looks like dog meat well disguised with vegetables-- and bitter
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Prowizy2(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2013
GARRI:

For the common man in Nigeria, this is one of those Nigerian meals that isn’t exclusive to tribe, geography or religion. It’s very hard to come across a Nigerian who has never had this meal in one form or another. It can be served in a variety of ways; with milk, pounded until it becomes a soft mash to eat with local soups, or sprinkled on beans.

God bless u 4 dis, ur days shall b long

#teamGARRI

1 Like

Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by chymaxy: 4:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
incomplete. . . ------bitter leav sup and akpu.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
6/11 cheesy. Not bad.
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by emmabest2000(m): 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2013
bebe2: Who is this info for?? Becos most nigerians know this already. angry
The info is for those Nigerians born outside Nigeria grin
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by chi4ik(m): 4:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
Ah, with all this food, Heaven is my limit
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by chi4ik(m): 4:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
Wat about opka?
Re: Top Nigerian Foods You Must Know by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 30, 2013
Not tasty lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist / Check Out This Made-in-birnin-kebbi Pizza / Guys Who Claim They Are Wonderful Cooks- See Your Handwork!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.