Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,346 members, 7,971,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 05:38 AM

Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election (6860 Views)

Tribunal Upholds Ikpeazu's Election As Abia Governor / Tribunal Upholds Ajimobi’s Election As Oyo Governor / Tribunal Upholds Lam-Adesina And Olugbemi’s Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by CrudeOil2(m): 5:31pm On Feb 26, 2008
idupaul:

enough said, can i get a big SLOW MO
[/quote

Yardua is a very reluctant president. Nigerians should expect important nothing from him
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by stanech: 5:33pm On Feb 26, 2008
Crude Oil: What a name.

I have said it times without number that the only solution to the problem of our beloved country Nigeria is to peacefully devide the country.

I was only able to watch the concluding part of the judgement on NTA. And was shocked when the judge made coment about evidence. He was saying the evidence brought before the court was not enough to Nulify the election, but while interviewing the councel to Buhari he made mention of the court not allowing him to bring in witnesses into the courtroom for he was ready to bring in about a hundred of them.

Now my question is How can one have up to a hundred witnesses he was not allowed to bring into the courtroom, yet he loosed the same case on the ground that he had not enough evidence?

Jungle justice  

Short live Nigera

Long live Nigerians
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Amuke(m): 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2008
@ Cola
Sometimes one doesn't understand what people want. They want demlcracy but they can't settle down with court rulings! OK the election was FLAWED, even the president acknowledged that much. But the law as democracy practises it is not about reality, rather it's about what can be proved! That's why it's said that the Law is an Ass!
Even if the judges know for certain thta the elections were rigged, if the challengers counsels cannot provide good enough evidence, then too bad, the judges have to rule on evidence, not their own wishes or YOUR wishes or The PUBLIC wishes for that matter!

Have you not heard of cases where everybody knows someone has committed murder but because the prosecuting counsel aren' smart enough OR the defence counsel is too shrewd for the prosecutor, the murderer is let loose, even when the judge hates to let him go. THAT'S WHAT YOUR LAW IS ALL ABOUT! and by extension THAT'S WHAT DEMOCRACY IS ALL ABOUT!
We should just be consoled that at least the beneficiary here is a decent man and one that has good intent and maybe hopefully the strongwill and ability to better Nigeria's lot. Peace.[/color]

That's just the same thing that i echeoed earlier, if the parties cannot seallow that. Then the Supreme court is there.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by dee02(m): 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2008
wayo people it is very obvious the decision was going to be victorious for the cheaters,
talking about moving nigeria forward when some people would die because of bribe and when some people cant even stand up and be counted
nigeria is decaying and rotting away,
even an slowpoke knows the elections were flawed and doesnt even need to be taken to a so called court before it gets quashed but the people that claim to be leaders turn a blind eye and stuff thier own mouth full of kickbacks!
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by stanech: 5:48pm On Feb 26, 2008
And what about the Witnesses that were not allowed into the court ?
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by wirinet(m): 6:18pm On Feb 26, 2008
I, as a person was disappointed with the Appeal Court verdict, not that i expected Gen. Buhari or Atiku to win and i am sure that is not their expectation, but to throw more light on the farse called 2007 general elections, with a view to making corrections for future elections. But according to the Appeal court, we should hand Prof. Iwu and all INEC commisioners national awards for a job well done and more grease to their elbows come 2011.
I wonder how Gen. Buhari and Atiku can proove that the elections were rigged to the satisfaction of the Appeal Court. Even if Prof Iwu, INEC,s Comissioners and OBJ sit at a beer palour and write (allocate) the election results it would not be easy to prove the elections were rigged, because, the onus is on them to provide evidence.
As I said, I expected the tribunal to highlight the deficiencies in INEC,s preparations and the conduct of the elections, But instead it said it is alright for INEC not to have numbered the ballot papers as it complied with the provisions of the Law.

Also it is strange that other elections were annulled ( local, senitorial and governorship) but the presidential passed with flying colours. A typical example is benue state where most of the elections were annulled.

So we can only wait for the supreme court verdict.

One Question: Will the outgoing court of appeal president be a member of the supreme court justices that will determine the final judgement?
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Mariory(m): 6:27pm On Feb 26, 2008
stanech:

And what about the Witnesses that were not allowed into the court ?

What witnesses? Please shed more light on this preferably via recognized news prints.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by kennie89: 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2008
NAIRALANDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dis topic has just been posted and e don reach 4pages
una try.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by champredd(m): 7:12pm On Feb 26, 2008
I don't have any problem with the ruling, whichever way it goes, but I don't like the timing of Yar'Adua's nomination of Justice Ogebe to the Supreme Court.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by nylawal(m): 7:18pm On Feb 26, 2008
Yar'adua has provided an atmosphere where Nigerians believe in the law courts this is a plus for us. During OB J's regime everybody would have known the tribunal is a waste of time.

The fact that OBJ rigged elections in Yaradua's favor was just to cage the man and use it as a pun against him. The man said earlier said he not bothered if he is removed from office.

This is a man that is not ambitious (this in my humble opinion, is the quality of a good leader). Do you think Atiku would av made a better president. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by snazzydawn(f): 7:27pm On Feb 26, 2008
I am not really rooted in political issues but I think Yar' adua is a better option, he is the lesser of the 3 evils.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by ndelta1(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2008
NO! I SAY NO TO THE JUDGMENT, YARADUA HIMSELF ADMIT TO THE A FACT THAT THE ELECTION WAS NOT FREE AND FARE, SO YARADUA DID NOT WIN THE ELECTION ON A PLANE LEVEL
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Dosman(m): 8:42pm On Feb 26, 2008
I dont understand what our worries are about the declaration of Yar'Adua as d winner,expectedly Buhari and Atiku joined together can never win election against any PDP candidate.And for sure Atiku's party would have rigged also in Lagos but becasue only lagos is not sufficient fpr him to win the country.
Let us just seat back and see what Mr Prez has 4 Nigerians.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 26, 2008
I think the personal character of Yar'Adua is far better than Atiku or Buhari. Yar'Adua would fare a better president in the lot. make we dey see.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by AlfaPrime: 9:48pm On Feb 26, 2008
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
To say am shocked is an understatement. Well, I feel for reasonable and honorable nigerians like SkyBlue and Jibitoye who are as dismayed as I was at the ruling. I only pity everyone who played a role in this mess. they will surely reap the rewards. Told a friend with all certainty this evening, that many people WHO ARE PRESENTLY REJOICING OVER TODAY'S RULING WILL BEFORE LONG, WEEP FROM THE AFTERMATHS. Not a curse, but a people always end up with the sort of leaders they deserve.

the worst part is that regardless of teh so-called "paucity of evidence" as claimed by the tribunal, even where there was incontovertible evidence of non-compliance to the electoral act, what we're being told is that "it was not sufficient to warrant annuling the election"

Shame on all the un-learned judges who attempted to justify and legitimize the sham of last year

Shame on Yar Adua and his cohorts, who preach rule of law yet had their election rigged for them, and are smiling home with a stolen mandate;

Shame on those of us on this forum who, instead of standing by truth at all times, are now so warped and "povertised" in our mentality that we are consoling ourselves that it was done in the best interest of national peace and security

Shame on the police who arrest and condemn armed robbers, yet guarded and stood by, and in some cases even participated, while broad daylight rigging went on

Shame on Yar' Adua, who admitted to the whole world during his swearing indeed, the process that brought him in was flawed, and that he would do something about it. U better go and disband that electoral reform panel u constituted, cos there's nothing for them to reform, since the election that brought u in has been shown to be "credible"!

Shame on OBJ, who cannot be exonorated in anyway from all this. As surely as Justice is sure, he will see his eventual state in all this.

Shame on those, who would use this as a licence to go all out for rigging and corruption in all works of life, since they have seen the scarcity of justice where it mattered most.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Jonlafrika(m): 9:52pm On Feb 26, 2008

jibitoye (m)
London

Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua Election
« #8 on: Today at 12:56:12 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buhari's, for insufficient evidence.
Atiku's, that he did actually participated in the election,

I always had the inkling that justice will not be served on Nigerians.

Shame, shame, shame

'It is all over the net now, we are watching live on the net, and both Atiku's case and Buhari's were thrown out, shame on us!!!'

Ibitoye, not shame on us but you alone. Buhari and Atiku have cases based on popular opinion without substantive proofs. Cases are not won anywhere in the world on popular opinion without evidence to substatiate the claims.
How could lawyers be asking for nullification of election on the argument that the:

Election did not hold.
   Election held but at irregular time or till late in the evening.
   That the Picture of Atiku was ommitted.
   That the colour of the logo was not correct

Without any sentiment or bias, please ask yourself how did all these affect the result of the election in favour of the respondents?
If you have a good case but incapable lawyers, you should be able to predict the outcome without consulting a soothsayer.

I will like to ask now, If the tribunal has ordered a fresh election, and we spend  hundreds of billions of naira again,  which of the two petitioners has enough credibility to unseat Yar,adua.?  
Abeg let pepper rest
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by stanech: 10:07pm On Feb 26, 2008
@Jonlafrika

The issue here is not about money being wasted. Who cares about that?

Afterall what has The Yaradua done since he was elected. The issue is that the judgement was a very biased one and has once again proved that the judiciary is not independent.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by palmwine(m): 10:27pm On Feb 26, 2008
I Feel justice was served. the opposition were not able to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. The core of their aguement was fundamentally flawed. if you talk about rigging show me a politician who did not rig?

PDP may not be the darling of all, but Yar'Adua is fresh, Buhari has been there Atiku Well he was there with one leg in. I only hope yar Adua will have the courage to leave when his tenure is over and not try to amend the constitution like our "friend" abi na enemy once attempted to.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by WarfyBoy(m): 11:03pm On Feb 26, 2008
I was not xpecting anytin worst dan dt though.

Wt we saw 2day was just a replay of wt av bin done.

dem don already kno say na Adua go stil be presido, dem just kom act film make we c.

GOD PUNISH PDP

I will will prefer ADUA 2 BUHARI n ATIKU any day, but because of the rotten n fruadulent foundation on which ADUA is standin 2day, it make it difficult 4 pipo like me to av confidence in this admisnistration

I wld av prefered a fresh election, maybe GOD wlkd av given us a leader of our own.

But afta lots of GHANA must GO av landed in offices of d HIGH CHIEF judge n the oda JUDGES respectively, they were blind to c dt sumtin is rong with the APRIL 2007 election

JUDICIARY fall my hand 4 this one

I wz rily waitin 4 dis day, waitin to witness te transformation of our gr8 nation, bt it was not up to my xpectation

JUDICIARY una fal my hand
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by somebody(f): 1:16am On Feb 27, 2008
Arggggggggggghhhhhhhh, some Nigerians make my blood boil. Did the judges say the election was not flawed? I believe they said there was not enough evidence to cancel the elections. What is so hard for you to understand there? Some people say it should have been cancelled especially as the public and everyone else knew it was flawed. As someone said earlier, even if the judge knows it was flawed. He has to make a decision based on what evidence was presented to him in court. Or do you guys not even read. In some cases that are high profile, they seclude the jurors from public so they are not influenced by the outside media. Why is simple logic not easy to understand? I'm sorry to say but they is no way Nigeria can move forward when its citizens have this warped reasoning. I personally think that the judges should have upheld the elction because if they didn't then Mark should have been the acting president. Where is Mark? His own election has been annuled so who would have taken over? Maybe Bankole but for me that whole uncertainty is too much for a young democracy. We are learning, we will get there. We can't start running without crawling. This democracy thing is step by step, we shall get it right in the end but to suggest that elections should be redone to get a more credible proces is plain ridiculous. I don't like Iwu but I agree with him when he says they've leant lessons for the next election. Even as humans we make mistakes and learn from them to be better people.

Anyway aside from that, I truly weep for Nigeria oh because these youths (our so called future leaders) haven't got a clue. Imagine someone saying Buhari saying he had up to 100 witnesses who were not allowed to testify. And so who are the witnesses? All Buhari has to do is pay 100 people a sum of money to say whatever. How is the judge able to verify their claims? In this day and age, Nigerians could not use their mobile phones, camcorders, cameras, etc to get hard evidence of malpractice in the polling centres. Instead they want the judges to rule on sentiment. I ask again, where is the evidence?
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by almondjoy(f): 1:28am On Feb 27, 2008
IT IS A DONE DEAL--MOVE ON Y'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

All your noise here is of no use.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by omobizle(m): 1:50am On Feb 27, 2008
it might be over with the presidency but not over with the governorship,
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by jookco(m): 2:05am On Feb 27, 2008
I was watching the judgement live, I think the Judge was bribe to delivery such controversial judgement.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by SkyBlue1: 6:18am On Feb 27, 2008
I don't know how people can't see this as not about Yaradua. Some people have been asking for proof about those more witnesses Buhari had, have you not been following the news? This tribunal had been on for months and everyday Buhari was there with even more witnesses and most of all, more evidence. They stopped him from bringing in more because they said they needed to speed things up, Doctored ballots signed by INEC officials, and much more, even with the whole Iwu perjury. It is not about Yaradua or Buhari or Atiku, i don't want to keep on repeating what i had been saying on the first two pages.  This is just deja vu all over again.

Well guys, i guess most Nigerians are willing to settle with the status quo. The professor at INEC will get national awards for a job well done, an event that would be graced with all manner of "important" people (he'll probably give a speech). He will continue to run his special brand of elections. Next three years or so from now, there will be another election and the winner will be chosen before hand by party touts. People who are foolish enough to go and vote will be abused and beaten up or even worse killed at the polling station by party touts, while INEC officials join hands and rig the elections in front of everyone. The funny thing in a very sad way would be that people will now come online  and complain that the election was rigged and that PDP or whatever parties are killing Nigeria, it is not democracy bla bla bla. When that happens, i don't think many people here should feel they have a right to complain. It has just been announced that election rigging in Nigeria is ok, i mean come on, let us be reasonable what is the worse that could happen to people rigged into power, another election tribunal? Those who claim to stand for truth and reality I have said it earlier, let all money that is meant to be used for elections next time be used to build the much lauded imaginary infrastructure instead of putting people through the farce called elections, let election in Nigeria stop because it is a waste of resources, and simply just a waste of time to be honest so let us stop living in denial and start accepting it, Nigeria is not a democracy.
Maybe people might become outraged when this thing happens again in four years or maybe the next 4 years after that, you never know.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Kobojunkie: 6:40am On Feb 27, 2008
Sky Blue:

I don't know how people can't see this as not about Yaradua. Some people have been asking for proof about those more witnesses Buhari had, have you not been following the news? This tribunal had been on for months and everyday Buhari was there with even more witnesses and most of all, more evidence. They stopped him from bringing in more because they said they needed to speed things up, Doctored ballots signed by INEC officials, and much more, even with the whole Iwu perjury. It is not about Yaradua or Buhari or Atiku, i don't want to keep on repeating what i had been saying on the first two pages. This is just deja vu all over again.

Well guys, i guess most Nigerians are willing to settle with the status quo. The professor at INEC will get national awards for a job well done, an event that would be graced with all manner of "important" people (he'll probably give a speech). He will continue to run his special brand of elections. Next three years or so from now, there will be another election and the winner will be chosen before hand by party touts. People who are foolish enough to go and vote will be abused and beaten up or even worse killed at the polling station by party touts, while INEC officials join hands and rig the elections in front of everyone. The funny thing in a very sad way would be that people will now come online and complain that the election was rigged and that PDP or whatever parties are killing Nigeria, it is not democracy bla bla bla. When that happens, i don't think many people here should feel they have a right to complain. It has just been announced that election rigging in Nigeria is ok, i mean come on, let us be reasonable what is the worse that could happen to people rigged into power, another election tribunal? Those who claim to stand for truth and reality I have said it earlier, let all money that is meant to be used for elections next time be used to build the much lauded imaginary infrastructure instead of putting people through the farce called elections, let election in Nigeria stop because it is a waste of resources, and simply just a waste of time to be honest so let us stop living in denial and start accepting it, Nigeria is not a democracy.
Maybe people might become outraged when this thing happens again in four years or maybe the next 4 years after that, you never know.

Well, Now you see what I mean about Nigeria Things are not yet where they ought to be for us to believe the right things will be done in that country. If you read some of the posts earlier on this you will note that even Nigerian people are not all ready for a better Nigeria and I refer to those who claim that even with Yar adua admitting that the elections were flawed/rigged and with the evidence provided, the courts still made it their place to decide that there was not enough evidence. Check out that mentality and it almost makes you wonder if the definition of justice has changed since this issue started. I believe we need to allow this man continue while we do all we can to iron out as much of the kinks as we can to avoid this happening again in that nation. Like you said, this is deja vu, and it will happen again if we do not deal with the right issues before the next election.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by SkyBlue1: 6:50am On Feb 27, 2008
@Kobojunkie, but you see, this is more than that. Why on earth will the Freedom of Information bill be passed when it goes against the status quo? Why will there be electoral reforms when it will go against the status quo (i.e people choosing their leaders)? Why would this one and the next one (God forbid) want to act in the real interest of the people when they know it is not the people that got them into power? Why on earth would all these happen? Is it not just wishful thinking? PDP's precedense was set and instead of destroying it, it was maintained. Do or die politics have been maintained (it is now a matter of who can rig or kill more) and the status quo continues and yet we expect real change? How disheartening. Well, you never know, he might build a few roads and half complete a power station before he leaves office right?
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Kobojunkie: 6:57am On Feb 27, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie, but you see, this is more than that. Why on earth will the Freedom of Information bill be passed when it goes against the status quo? Why will there be electoral reforms when it will go against the status quo (i.e people choosing their leaders)? Why would this one and the next one (God forbid) want to act in the real interest of the people when they know it is not the people that got them into power? Why on earth would all these happen? Is it not just wishful thinking? PDP's precedense was set and instead of destroying it, it was maintained. Do or die politics have been maintained (it is now a matter of who can rig or kill more) and the status quo continues and yet we expect real change? How disheartening. Well, you never know, he might build a few roads and half complete a power station before he leaves office right?

What I am advocating is not that we wait for the government to pass the bill and then make all of the above to happen. What I am saying is that the people of Nigeria need to get involved in order to make this happen. It is clear from our history that we have not been doing our part and if the people can decide to force change even while this man is in office, we can force his hand our way to ensure we do not get a repeat of this next election. I do not put my trust in any arm of the Nigerian system at all and I do know that we have Nigerians who are not willing to break a nail to get things right in that country but with the man we have in office, I believe we can bend his will if we so choose to and that happening will depend on us. PDP or not, this is a democracy, we placed our bet on obasanjo getting some change in place for 8 years and we now know how that went. We are not under millitary rule and so it is up to the average Nigerian to ensure this slap in the face does not come our way next election. I told you before, I do not trust the government or even the justice system at all in that country as long as these old criminals are walking freely with their faces held up higher than that of the average nigerian. So, until we get up and do it, I will not be suprised if we get a repeat next election.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by doyin13(m): 7:18am On Feb 27, 2008
Kobokobo. . . .you and this your ephemeral 'people'

people don't cause radical change. . . .

small cliques of motivated individuals do. . . .

Unfortunately the ones we have been dealt are masturbating bastards.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Kobojunkie: 7:23am On Feb 27, 2008
doyin13:

Kobokobo. . . .you and this your ephemeral 'people'

people don't cause radical change. . . .

small cliques of motivated individuals do. . . .

Unfortunately the ones we have been dealt are masturbating bastards.

But when I say people, I am refering to the small groups of people, in Nigeria and abroad who are right now working hard to see to it that things change. One thing we have learnt is that to change things in Nigeria, you do not necessarily need to have number on your side from the start but you can influence the people if you are able to offer them much change to cause them to go your way. I know of a particular group who were just recently able to get a bill passed in that country. With more groups like that, we can see to it that the trend in that country shifts to our favour in that political arena and then overall.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by doyin13(m): 7:30am On Feb 27, 2008
hmm. . .that one make more sense

i have always thought the diaspora can exert significant influence on how things are run back home

Excluding awon oni jibiti of course
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by adusco(m): 8:50am On Feb 27, 2008
a thief can neva arrest athief.they all rigged the election but the lucky person was appointed and not voted for.i wish Yaradua goodluck
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by ojesymsym: 9:11am On Feb 27, 2008
In terms of credibility, Buhari is far more credible than the others. You can have other issues against him, but not when it comes to credibility, honesty, personnal dislike to corruption, purpose, steadfastness (even wen other left him alone) and a firm belief that things can and should work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muslims banned from Slovakia, 'will Only Accept Christians' / (in Pics) Why The Igbos Should Really Stop This Biafra Issue / Osinbajo Arrives New Guinea For 8th African Summit Of African, Carribean States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.