Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,827 members, 7,930,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? (17364 Views)

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by infolekan(m): 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ola one:

You are right but doctors in Naija are not happy! They are poor

And which profession will you get the rich in Nigeria from?
The average lawyer in a well established firm is paid less than 100k in Nigeria(emphasis is on the average)
An average engineer out of school is in another line looking for another job(half of my engineering friends are in banks)
When you hear us complaining....we are looking at what obtains in other countries to what obtains here nd we're not comparing ourselves to other professions here.
An average doctor in nigeria earns above 190k and those in the private pratice will still not earn less than 120k.
Happiness is individualised and an average Nigeria isn't happy(talk about electricity,bad roads and insecurity)

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2013
emygreat747: MBBS-more books bible and study;as an undergraduate in preclinicals,u wake up every morning wondering sometimes even scared all u do is memorise memorise memorise at the end ur lecturer wud want to form smart goes nd print out question frm d net for u to answer nd wen u fail,gosh!!!ur mind tells u,guy u wud be doing beta in anoda dept. for christ sake u came first tru out ur secondary skul dayz....
are u an abusite U sound to be refering. Imam and Dr.. Achie
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by donofdons: 9:31pm On Jan 12, 2013
tawa89: . Dude....you are a process Engineer and u actually need 2 lie that u are a Medical Doctor 2 get laid? Ur case huge!

You may not understand if you are not a ladies hunter......what do you want me to do?be proud of my proffesion and solve equations for ladies and return to my cold
Bed at night to jack off while i can just claim to be a doctor, tell an emotional story about my patients and then get laid...bros there is no honour in an empty bed

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by donofdons: 9:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
solomon111: WTF??
You are probably one of those that studied wrong course.
Medicine is noble and nice,but Engineers hold the aces.
The world belongs to us,to recreate as we wish.
Without engineers,medicine would have remained in its crude stage with crude equipments.
A successful and enterprising Engineer is the dream of most ladies,i can assure you.

Bro i am an engineer and a good one for that matter and i understand the importance of our proffesion and the joy in it but it cannot be compared to the respect you get for holding peoples life in your hands. my point is that most people dont And i wish i studied medicine like i wanted to if not because of some goddamned advisers. I hate having to work hard without being recognized.
Yes i lie i am a doctor to get laid and i am not ashamed

4 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by agabaI23(m): 9:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
onyxo76: Almost a decade of medical practise and I still wonder how I got myself into this... Anyway thank God for other interests in other income generations coming my way, if not this profession na just average pay!
You were in it for the money first and not for the service first. You had too much expectations and you were disappointed and now you are frustrated. Believe me, if you were in it first for service and then money, the money will naturally follow. Rewind your mind and you will surely see the difference.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by chy22(m): 9:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
adeaugustus: Obviously Medicine is not for the faint hearted. The issue with most of this so called doctor is that, they actually went after the money and the prestige, while i consider that part of the reason why you should study medicine, believe me, it's not a good reason to study the course. Here is a break down of why you shouldn't study medicine because of prestige.

Average you spend 6years as an undergraduate(Neglecting strike, withdrawal of licence by NUC, flunking exams)

Compared to your counterpart that spends 4/5 years in the university, after which he/she enrolled for a master degree, 2years maximum. Making 6/7 years altogether.

Medicine is a time wasting course, most of them do have beards before they actually claim the title. I also wanted medicine before, but couldn't get it. When i got admitted for Medical Sciences and i realized that my field is a little bit more interesting than medicine, I've asked my self several times, "Why on earth did i waste four years runner after that course initially?"
I agree with you. I was one of those who entered medicine due to familiy push to have a doctor, but after two years i noticed that is not really what i wanted for my self. duo i had serious issues as a young person to let my parents know i want to have a change, yet i insited and changed to biological sciences after which moved on to uk, now i am about ending my masters degree research in biomedical sciences and hoping to start a PhD next year while my mates back in nigeria are still struggling to get there MBBS done. And that makes me belive that those in medicine for the reason of prestige and money should really think twice. All the same medical proffesion is very interesting and engaging but there are many other ways of getting to do what you enjoy other than MBBS espacially in Nigeria.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kpozite(m): 9:58pm On Jan 12, 2013
poverty has so fine tuned the thought pattern of Nigerians that they only think of courses and careers mainly if not only in terms of remuneration. Pity
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by mamagee3(f): 10:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
Doctors of the 21st century make so much money...

I don't really get why people who are smart enough to study the course shouldn't.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by nagoma(m): 10:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
@OP

In the long run only your last sentence counts. No regrets.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by rhodiesworld(f): 10:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
I celebrate doctors, but i don't think i can marry a doctor. www.rhodiesworld.com
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by nagoma(m): 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: .

"When I look at all these – I still consider myself lucky and privileged to be placed to look after God’s creation."

•Dr. Odoemena, medical practitioner  based in Lagos, wrote in via cuzdetriumph@yahoo.co.uk. 08054718547
http://iyaniwura.com/why-would-anyone-want-to-become-a-doctor/
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Your last sentence quoted above says it all. No regrets.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
infolekan:

And which profession will you get the rich in Nigeria from?
The average lawyer in a well established firm is paid less than 100k in Nigeria(emphasis is on the average)
An average engineer out of school is in another line looking for another job(half of my engineering friends are in banks)
When you hear us complaining....we are looking at what obtains in other countries to what obtains here nd we're not comparing ourselves to other professions here.
An average doctor in nigeria earns above 190k and those in the private pratice will still not earn less than 120k.
Happiness is individualised and an average Nigeria isn't happy(talk about electricity,bad roads and insecurity)

lol.. Things have changed bro... A graduate Police officer earns 100 and something... Civil defence, Customs, Immigration officers, Naval staffs, and Prison officers with BSc. level. 8 now earn between 100K - 180 k per month...

We are in a new era...

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Kylexb(m): 11:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
from my perception,i think medicine is not something one can rush into and rush out at the same time...though not a doc yet but from tips from the dr holders it require endurance and enormous hardwork...above all...fulfilling your dream surpasses all by studying whats your heart beats for... So stay focused!!!
Remember...your LIFE first
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by RaindropGCFR(m): 11:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
God help me i stil have more 5yrs to become a medical Doctor
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by AjanleKoko: 11:42pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is just ridiculous.
Doctors, who are much less likely to be unemployed than anybody else, are now complaining like everybody else.
Seriously? undecided Are we missing something here?

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by reechest: 11:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
medicine for me is d noblest of all courses suffix tu say no course is greater dan d oda...as u go deep intu ur careers u meet challenges......am a medical student,bur i have alwayz had dis particular tin botherin me wen it has to do wit medicine..........i hope one day i will b able to solve d mystery behind some of these.....can someone plz say sumtin on this puzzle.........

Due to high rate of wickedness and witchcraft in Nigeria,Nigerianz have tended tu manufacture and produce ailments of there own.dis ailmentz haz a variety of signz and symptomz and varies in different individualz. But d worst part of it is dat such diseases du not exist in westernworld and due to dat do not exist in our textbooks....e.g of such diseases include.. Otu ere,agba ocha,agba belt,agba oji,pin,okpa nkpo and a host of odas too numerous to mention....d worst part is dat dis diseases defy western medicine and seems to worsen if not killin d patient wen u try to use western medicine on dem..aw can u know how tu cure sometin u neva met,read about or experienced in d course of ur trainin..dis diseases wil make u appear incompetent as a doctor cos u might not be able tu see some tinz physically or medically wrong wit ur patient while ur patient is dyin in ur front,ur own very eyes..Dont u tink is hight time we produced our own style of medicine called NIGERIAN MEDICINE to help eradicate dis diseases dat white people know nothin about........
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by TheDoc: 12:04am On Jan 13, 2013
NICE ONE
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by bisiswag(f): 12:04am On Jan 13, 2013
Mscheww,long and unnecessary post. You a doctor and you should know better posting this' I cldnt even read more than 4 lines. Next pls
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by emmalexabl(m): 12:05am On Jan 13, 2013
I PRACTICE MEDICINE AND I LOVE MY PROFESSION.. wink
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by goodman3(m): 12:26am On Jan 13, 2013
P

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by chy22(m): 12:44am On Jan 13, 2013
goodman3: @op its either ure not passionate about medicine or ure just unlucky to be a poor doc in naija. I sense envy and jealousy in some posts here! An average doc in naija can amass a total income of 300,000naira every month. Some weeks ago, when I went to a state owned general hospital, I noticed that doctors there resume work at 8:am every morning and close work at 12:pm in the afternoon. Many of these doctors also have jobs in a federal teaching hospital in the same state and resume work there at 1:pm and close for work around 6:pm. Imagine the salaries from the two places every month. Its no wonder why medical students who are doing housemanship in teaching hospitals dangle car keys here and there because they make at least 160,000 naira every month. Also talk about the pay they get during nysc which is almost six times the pay of other youth corpers. Now when u talk about prestige, medicine is a course that will retain its prestige for ages to come. That's why most girls are crazy for young docs (whether handsome or not). Parents want their children to study the prestigious MEDICINE, doctors command respect wherever they find themselves! The advantages of becoming a doctor are just too numerous. So if u try to downgrade or insult doctors here, it is either u could not get admission into any medical school,u have lost ur babe to a doc,ure not as rich and comfortable as docs or ure just bitter that they are above u in terms of career and other things! I have notting against you nor the doctors. but i doubt if you really know enough doctors in Nigeria to come at that conclusion.

#team docs!
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 13, 2013
This is despite those who were withdrawn. And despite those who became psychiatric.
so some become psychatric case. Hmm! After military and para military, this is another profession i respect the "professors" but never envy them one bit.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 13, 2013
tem_tem: Great write-up!
I believe medicine is not just a noble profession, its a divine calling. However, people go into it for all the wrong reasons; family pressure( "we must have a doctor in this family"
mum wants to be called "mama doc"wink, pride, the misleading belief that once you're taking first or second position in ur class then u must become a doctor, lastly and regretably money!!!!!
If you dont have the passion for saving lives and puting smiles on people's face, then you have no business studying medicine cos u r bound to eventually get dissappointed and frustrated!
This post explains it all, nice write up dude

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 3:07am On Jan 13, 2013
wengerjay: In case u re interested in reading medicine(or any other cause at all)to earn u money or future,pls learn frm this philosophy of life wch says 'there is no future in any profession bt the future lies in the hands of the individual dat holds the profession'.

[size=14pt]so it is all about what you make of it then? well said![/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 3:12am On Jan 13, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
Chics dig doctors.this is enough reason for me.

[size=14pt]uhhm if you only go in it for the STATUS AND IMAGE, or to get girls, without any real "passion" or a calling to "service" then you will be very unhappy!!! if you have no real need to serve and only to serve yourself in some way, you will end up being stuck in some way![/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 3:17am On Jan 13, 2013
centje: This is a perfect description of what doctors go through especially in nigeria. In some of these developed countries doctors no longer have to crack their brains doing elaborate clinical work just to narrow down the tests a patient should undergo. They have the equipment,they have the financial capacity. But over here,for every medical procedures, diagnostic or therapeutic, doctors first consider poverty level and the availability of facility.

Consultants are in the category of judges but they paid far less than them.
The worst is that some people are begining to litigate blindly just because they see it happen in other countries.

As for medical school,some of the events are not worth remembering. It's the same poor educational system affecting every discipline. It's a big shame on our leaders,i just wonder the kind of future they want for this country.

Please moderators this should make front page. If it's about wizkid said 'hi' it will be quickly move to front page.

yeah this is bad,
that you get no doctors who are willing to work for free,
and will show people away that don't have the means to pay for services,
it can be reasonable if he only divides his time between those who can pay and those who cannot,
seeing some on the side...
but if the word gets out people all want to be seen for free no?
then he will have trouble from the people making him an "unfair" doctor.
it is a difficult situation to assess,
especially if the doctor has a passion for it,
but has to BILL people in order to survive.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 3:20am On Jan 13, 2013
tpia@:
Isnt iyabo obasanjo a vet?

Obj made sure his kids studied good courses, so that means there must be something there.

Typically, i think vet doctors will work in govt parastatals related to agriculture, what someone described here seems like small animal practice ( pets and the like).

do people really care about animals in nigeria?
or only see them as food?
maybe vets have business with those people who have cattle,
or who have wildlife farms wanting to keep the animals alive for breeding and selling,
are there any horse farms in nigeria?
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 3:24am On Jan 13, 2013
Krucifax\:
It is a calling that you need to have a passion for to be able to survive the punishment you will encounter. Besides strength, intelligence and stamina you need psychological grit. You will be telling many families and friends that their loved ones isn’t going to make it or has just passed away while at the same time maintaining your composure and coming back tomorrow for more.

I take my hat off to Doctors their respect is well deserved. I personally studied Law and while i’ve read my fair share of gigantic text books and all the gbese that comes in Law firms i must say a Doctor is on another level!

[size=14pt]well doctor or lawyer you must be prepared to be able to put up with a whole lot of shiiiiiit,
you must have a passion for taking a whole lot of crappp on your shoulders,
and bearing it with honour like a man.[/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 3:28am On Jan 13, 2013
kristikat:

do people really care about animals in nigeria?
or only see them as food?
maybe vets have business with those people who have cattle,
or who have wildlife farms wanting to keep the animals alive for breeding and selling,
are there any horse farms in nigeria?

Why can't we take care of the animals we want to eat?

I'd like to know that my goat meat were treated properly before they enter my soup.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Ilekokonit: 3:40am On Jan 13, 2013
When I told my Mum I'd had enough of Med School in the '80s, she took me to Bishop Mike Okonkwo who after laying hands on me in prayer and I still insisted on leaving Med school, he asked me if I was on drugs and I said no.

After 3 years of studying 16 hours a day, I simply lost the zeal for the course and should have been steered towards a career in Mathematics in the first place as Maths came naturally to me. I ended up switching to finance.

If I had become a Doctor, I would still have left the profession as I simply do not like working at night and the office politics in teaching hospitals abroad will drive me nuts.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 4:01am On Jan 13, 2013
[size=14pt]you are on drugs if you don't want to study medicine?

that's hilarious!! lolol grin[/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 4:02am On Jan 13, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

Why can't we take care of the animals we want to eat?

I'd like to know that my goat meat were treated properly before they enter my soup.

is that like taking care of DEAD MEAT or live animals?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. / Akin Abayomi Tests Positive For COVID-19 / Dirty Places In Your Home You Need To Clean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.