Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,396 members, 7,908,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 08:09 PM

Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? (10903 Views)

Emir Of Kano, Appointed As Chancellor Of UNIBEN By Jonathan / Professor Kaita - "Why I Intervened In Buhari’s Certificate Saga" / Professor Jega’s Statement On Election Postponement: Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by MAYOWAAK: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
Something similar to this might have happened:

Some 12 years ago the Vanguard broke the news of Dr Abalaka’s cure for HIV/AIDS. Immediately the Nigerian intelligentsia and educated elite, a band of cynics, claimed it was no cure; Abalaka, they insisted, was a babalawo, not an educated man – his name suggested it. Quickly, Abalaka was on the TV showing his University of Jos MBBS certificate. They argued, that Abalaka was a doctor didn’t mean he should also involve in medical research; there was a rule to this thing. Again, Abalaka brought another certificate of his PG trainings in one-thing-one-thing. They insisted Abalaka must show prove of whom he had cured. A Nigerian colonel said it was true – 400 of his men back from ECOMOG in Liberia have been cured.

Then the Minister of Health, a man named Tim Menekaya, who was in his sixties but carried the face of a man in his nineties, got real angry. He said the colonel had no right to speak on such matters – and the military hierarchy agreed their colonel spoke out of order. Menekaya advised Abalaka to stop going to the press; convention demands that he, Abalaka, publish his findings first in a medical journal. Doesn’t Abalaka know that educated people don’t announce inventions on the pages of newspaper, he asked. The Nigerian journalists, now behind Abalaka, countered that even the discoverers of the virus, Robert Gallo and Montaigne, also went first to the press.

Abalaka , thoroughly satisfied with this support, gathered the journalists to his Abuja office and, in their presence, vaccinated himself (ingested HIV into his blood). People danced on the streets of Abuja. One journalist said he was leaving for Europe to personally nominate Abalaka for the Nobel.

Then tragedy happened; Abalaka’s wife died. Every Nigerian, including those who have promised to nominate him, ran away. They said the poor woman died of the HIV the husband had ingested. Abalaka struggled to convince Nigerians that his wife died of liver problem. Nigerians said, a man who can cure AIDS should be able to handle ordinary liver damage. Abalaka was no longer a hero but an insane man who self-infected himself with the deadly virus.

Abalaka, an ambitious man, fought not to go down. He would show Nigerians that he was a great man. He went and collected PDP governorship primaries form and, in his first public outing, promised his people of Kogi State and the neighbouring Benue that he would build a hospital at the boundary and cure their AIDS freely. (Benue State is to Nigeria what South Africa is to Africa with regards to AIDS prevalence).

Before Abalaka could submit his form, three men from NAFDAC (the government agency regulating canned food, bottled drinks, biscuits and pharmaceutical products) arrived his Okene village from Lagos and requested he joined them to Lagos. Abalaka felt God has heard his prayers; PDP was going to provide money through NAFDAC to help him win the election.

At Lagos things took a strange dimension. They took off Abalaka’s belt and tie – so that he would not hurt himself. Then when Abalaka realised what was happening, they took his phone; he couldn’t reach Femi Falana, Bamidele Aturu or Festus Keyamo or even his family. The NAFDAC people accused him of defaulting to pay patent fees of [N3000] for his findings!

Abalaka requested they should take him to his bank and he would pay, even though it was no criminal offence requiring arrest. They told Abalaka that they were making their investigations. The investigation took quite long, ran into days. By the time Abalaka was found not guilty and released, the PDP governorship primary was over.

I was in Abuja when Abalaka appeared on the TV. He had become thin and his voice was no longer that of a discoverer but of a man just evicted from 1009. The host asked if he would take PDP to the tribunal. Abalaka replied, he had left it in the hands of God. The host asked if he would sue NAFDAC for illegal detention. Abalaka replied, he had left the matter in the hands of God. The host asked if he was going to research another sickness, say, sickle cell anaemia. Abalaka said, he had left E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G in the hands of God

6 Likes

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by dilbert100: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by flexya: 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
My view is that he was forced to retract his claim and deny his discovery for the followin reasons:

1) The HIV retroviral drug industry is worth billions and is owned by powerful people who won't want a cure developed until they earn returns on their retroviral investments

2) More condoms are sold each day than the worlds most popular food item-bread. An AIDS/HIV cure would change that, to the detriment of the condoms industry. This will potentially damage, if not collapse the western economy and Ignite unemplyment.

3)Government officials across the world fleece their citizens of money thru ficticious and oftern ineFfective HIV education and awarenss programmes. In Nigeria, NACA (National Agency for Control of Aids) and its State level equivalents (SACA) gulp more budget allocation than you know. Do you think Mrs Florence Ajimobi (govnors wife) chairs Oyo SACA because of her zeal for health? Govt officials do this unnotticed as its difficult to assess, challenge or prosecute. They could claim HIV free testing for 3m people a day = N300M. AIDS advert gulp millions (allegedly) So most govts across the world would selfishly want this disease to carry on.

4)The western world (I didn't say white people), is yet to find a cure for the common cold, which is also a viral infection and yet, this man from a supposed 3rd world country, finds a cure for HIV/AIDs. Insult, they won't let it happen

5) Big corporations would rather buy that cure patent from our professor than allow his to become the CEO of a company that produces the worlds most sought after drug. That way, they can introduce "improved version", which won't really cure u but make u feel slightly better, yearly. Any company that produces anti-AIDS drug, shall be bigger than google, cocacola or Mcdonalds.

6) Our govt (in Nigeria) clearly r under the thumb of the western world and would rather harm its own economy by supporting the suppression of such discovery. Tell me one discovery that our govt has supported and made it a global tool! Yet everywhere u go in Nigeria, u see ingenuity.

There is more but u get my gist.

6 Likes

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by gameplan1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 11, 2013
I'm sure som1 was speakin tru d prof....dat prof would nt make it public if he was nt sure of d remedy
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by marabout(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
A cure for HIV is too monumental for one Prof to just publicise without details of proper pre-clinical and or clinical trials. Any drugs development researcher should surely know the procedure. Nobel Prize stuff AND B$LLIONS. Even a pharmacology graduate student would know the process.

Such announcement ought to be backed by details of patent/regulatory authorities approval or notification. His university authorities should be aware and those who sponsor his chair too as a prof (if applicable).

BUT then our government bodies are adept at frustrating talented people. Maybe some people were trying to steal it from him and he quickly announced it. I cannot imagine a professor just risking his reputation like that.

If he truly has a formular, it will soon be with Pfizer, J & J, Glaxo, Sanofi Novartis, Roche, Bayer, Bohringer, Merck or any other Western drug big beast.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by omicron(m): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
As a scientist, Prof did not truly follow the procedures for such discoveries. He is a Professor and not some bush man preparing herbs, so he should have known that such protocols - which are relevant in themselves - must be followed.

However, I feel what the Prof did is rather intended towards protection of his Patent Right, should his discovery prove to be true after the necessary trials. This is a horrible society. If these events did not occur, and Prof had involved all and sundry at the preliminary stage of his research, do you think the recognition would have been accorded him? I doubt, cause more powerful people would wrestled it from him.

But I do not believe all this 'conspiracy theory' we always tend to believe. HIV/AIDS IS REAL! It has no cure - just like hypertension, diabetes, asthma, peptic ulcer(non infective), migraine, hepatitis, and uncountable other diseases!

1 Like

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by marabout(m): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
[But I do not believe all this 'conspiracy theory' we always tend to believe. HIV/AIDS IS REAL! It has no cure - just like hypertension, diabetes, asthma, peptic ulcer(non infective), migraine, hepatitis, and uncountable other diseases!
[/quote]

Tell them.

I have to deal these patients from time to time. HIV is as real as garri and epa!

1 Like

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by nenergy(m): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
First it was JEREMIAH, now it is ISAIAH. These people and their likes should finish their home works before coming out openly with talks of a cure. smh
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by naptu2: 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2013
omicron: As a scientist, Prof did not truly follow the procedures for such discoveries. He is a Professor and not some bush man preparing herbs, so he should have known that such protocols - which are relevant in themselves - must be followed.

However, I feel what the Prof did is rather intended towards protection of his Patent Right, should his discovery prove to be true after the necessary trials. This is a horrible society. If these events did not occur, and Prof had involved all and sundry at the preliminary stage of his research, do you think the recognition would have been accorded him? I doubt, cause more powerful people would wrestled it from him.

But I do not believe all this 'conspiracy theory' we always tend to believe. HIV/AIDS IS REAL! It has no cure - just like hypertension, diabetes, asthma, peptic ulcer(non infective), migraine, hepatitis, and uncountable other diseases!

+100
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by tpapi: 3:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
His life was threatened n so he had to retract his claim
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by sarutobie(m): 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
lain: He is not the first person to say the cure to aids has been discovered.. We re living in a very dangerous world, do u want those pharmacetical companies that produce hiv pills to close down, or do u want the billions of dollars that goes to hiv research every year to end or those companies producing condoms to close down... thereby creating more unemployed pple.. This world is business and everything must b done to make sure that business continues
This is exactly what my friend(graduated from luth as a pharmacist) said..he told me "drug business is dangerous business..just watch,you will hear another news saying the cure wasn't foolproof.they will make him an offer he can't refuse"..you think phizer,glaxosmithkline and co will pack up retroviral drugs worth billions fo dollars because someone 'discovered' the cure for aids in their laboratory?..never!.to think that of all scientific,medical and technologicial breathroughs in the past 3 decades that there hasn't been a geniune cure for Aids is(to me) very doubtful..call it a 'conspiracy theory' if you like..but one thing is sure,there is a cure.

1 Like

Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
@op....!!!

Thanks for your thinking..

Why would a whole professor come out and say he has found a cure for AIDS?

Only for him to come out and say he was lying?

How easy is it for someone to say he is lying when his life, profession and bread depends on it?

Remember everyone that has ever said they found a cure for AIDS end up being invited to Abuja or being silenced.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Giditinz(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2013
Why would a lecturer of a respected university such as Uniben, more-so, a Professor, make such a declaration without providing clear basis for doing so? It tells us a lot about where the Nigerian education is headed to. It mirrors clearly the level and standard of projects carried out in our higher institutions. We need a change but are Nigerian ready for the change, for the long awaited messiah? "Teacher teach is well no let is to fall inside well"
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by pazienza(m): 4:06pm On Jan 11, 2013
Abalaka story,so touching.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Barywhyte(m): 4:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
naptu2: 1) The professor made an announcement.

2) The authorities said that the professor did not follow due process before making the announcement.

3) The professor admitted that he did not follow due process before making the announcement and apologised for that.

I haven't seen any "lie" yet.

It's just like when Raypower FM started broadcasting in 1994. The NBC said it had not yet permitted Raypower to start broadcasting, even though they had met some of the conditions specified in the license. Raypower admitted that they had not yet gotten authorisation and apologised. The NBC later permitted Raypower to start broadcasting after it met all the conditions.

Let's wait for the completion of all the processes and see whether the professor's research will scale through.

Wrong Wrong pls. I can assure u that u won't hear anything about this matter again. Nothing is scaling through anything.
Case closed!

By the way, your comparison with Raypower is off track.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Kikinki(f): 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
Its possible there is a cabal just like the cancer cabals that declare huge profits yearly withholding the real cure for cancer.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by naptu2: 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
Trolling grin
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by faithinnaija: 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
He wnts to make a name for himself
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by chudyboy05(m): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
Mr ibeh na professor of lie!.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by chudyboy05(m): 5:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
Mr ibeh na professor of lie!. Won't u love to be On the NEWS HEADLINE?.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Candybob(m): 5:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
The knowledge nairalanders display is always impressive except for quite a few people, i always enjoy the different perspectives. Nigerians are aware of the machinations of these multinationals that have made up their mind to hold Africa down. The discovery is most likely genuine seeing that even the so-called authorities are only holding on to the due process argument, which as far as we are concerned holds no weight.
Que=Is the drug fake?
Ans= 'No'..'just that he did not follow due process'.
Me= what a crock of bull shyt!
I'm greatly disappointed in the school authority for rushing to disown the guy, they could have simply kept quiet on the issue till the dust settles.
The story reminds me of the man that supposedly built a car and was robbed and killed then 'the blueprint of the car was stolen'.
The guy that wrote Abalaka's story(terribly sad) sounds like someone who knew him!
We know that there 'ARE' cures for HIV/AIDS, but for selfish interests they are been suppressed.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Odunnu: 5:38pm On Jan 11, 2013
REMMEI: Maybe misquoted..because those press can be so funny sometimes..but IMHO there's more to this news than he coming out to recant it..i won't be amazed if the whole nation never heard of this prof anymore..YOU KNOW WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT.
Nobody heard of him before all this, so whats the big deal if he falls back into backstage
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by OkparaIgbo: 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Most people here have said what I intended saying. "There is more to this than meets the eye". Personally I believe the Prof found the cure and was aware of all the protocols involved in announcing the product but obviously to avoid his cure being taken over by someone else, he announced it to the public but had to retract his statement because he wasn't aware of the amount of life erasing threats he would receive from the big cooperations angry. For those scorning the Prof and making all manner of degrading statements, BE WISE and just don't take every life situation as "black and white" look for and investigate the grey area. undecided I concur with the statement that " The world is now run like a business and only the big guns benefit totally" lipsrsealed cry
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by naptu2: 7:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
I've been searching for a particular thread for the past few minutes. I think it might help you understand what's going on. I will reproduce the original post in full in my next post.

1) Before the professor's claims can be accepted he must conduct clinical trials. Before the drug can be administered on humans it must be certified by NAFDAC. The professor is also an employee of Uniben. It's also possible that he used Uniben time and facilities for his research, therefore he should have informed uniben authorities before making his claim public.

2) However, I'm very sure that the prof knows all these.

So why did he make his claims public before going through due process? I believe that he was trying to prevent what happened to the author of the letter in the next post from happening to him.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by naptu2: 7:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
I don't know if the inventor's claims are true, but the scenario is very interesting.
[size=14pt]Help A Nigerian Inventor From Injustice[/size]

bashr4: PLS LETS NOT LET THIS DIE

NWOBILO NWANKWO
Phone: 0809-086-7484 Ntighauzo Village,
Email:nwankwo.obilo@yahoo.com Obingwa L.G.A,
Abia State.

7th October, 2010
The President
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Aso Villa
Abuja.

Your Excellency Sir,

DIABETES CURE DISCOVERY IN NIGERIA, HOW MR. PRESIDENT WAS MISINFORMED AND MY HUMBLE PLEA TO PUT THE RECORD STRAIGTH

During the golden jubilee anniversary broadcast, Mr. President announced many achievements made by Nigeria in the past 50 years. Among them, that “Dr. Louis Nelson discovered a permanent cure for diabetes”.

With humility sir may I state that the information passed to you is misleading?
Dr. Louis Nelson DID NEVER DISCOVER ANY CURE FOR DIABETES IN NIGERIA. The discovery was made by Nwobilo Nwankwo.

After the false announcement by National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) in February 4, 2009, I quickly alerted the minister of Health that the claim by Dr. Nelson that he discovered a cure for diabetes is false via a letter written to the Hon. Minister on the 8th day of May, 2009. (See annexure A)

Before the false announcement sir, I had already alerted many government organs that NIPRD wants to steal my research work. And after the announcement it took almost the entire energy in me and various petition to the Ministry of Health, National Assembly Committees on health, (both Senate and house) and many newspaper publications, and world press conference as evidenced in (annexure B-D)

All these pressure forced NIPRD to forward the draft M.O.U to me to enter into an understanding to protect my discovery.

In order to achieve their goal over my discovery which is to steal the property from me, NIPRD included the following conditions in the draft M.O.U
Paragraph 8 reads in part “the INSTITUTE shall apply and obtain or cause to be granted and obtained the letters of patent on the products in the name of “the INSTITUTE …”.

Paragraph 13 reads in part “the ownership of and right to obtain trade name or trademark and/or registration of designs in any products supplied by the “CONSULTANT HERBALIST” to “the INSTITUTE under this agreement shall be vested in the “INSTITUTE”…

Mr. President Sir, NIPRD insist that I must sign this agreement as it is which passed off my property to them and I maintain that I will NEVER sign such. This has been the bone of contention between me and NIPRD since last year which made them to continue to pass the misleading information to everybody including the highest office in the land that Dr. Nelson discovered a cure for diabetes.

To cover up their sin, NIPRD recruited staff of the Ministry of health to destroy documents both written to me or the ones I wrote to the Hon. Minister and worse still NIPRD did everything to stop media houses from publishing the story. (See annexure E)

May I thank you immensely for your purposeful intervention in this matter which will not only put the record straight but will also bring the new change that will put corruption to shame in the land and bring Nigeria to the part of greatness.

Yours faithfully

NWOBILO NWANKWO

NWOBILO NWANKWO
Phone: 0809-086-7484 Ntighauzo Village,
Email:nwankwo.obilo@yahoo.com Obingwa L.G.A,
Abia State.

7th October, 2010

The Hon. Minister of Information
And Communication
Radio House
Garki Abuja.

Sir,

DIABETES CURE DISCOVERY IN NIGERIA, HOW MR. PRESIDENT WAS MISINFORMED AND MY HUMBLE PLEA TO PUT THE RECORD STRAIGTH

I wish to forward the attached letter written to His Excellence the President of the federation over the incorrect information passed to him on the subject.

I humbly appeal to you to use your good offices to intervene in this matter to put the record straight.

I thank you immensely for your purposeful intervention on the matter.

Yours faithfully

NWOBILO NWANKWO

https://www.nairaland.com/567759/nigerian-inventor-injustice
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by JOYCEOUS(f): 7:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
lain: He is not the first person to say the cure to aids has been discovered.. We re living in a very dangerous world, do u want those pharmacetical companies that produce hiv pills to close down, or do u want the billions of dollars that goes to hiv research every year to end or those companies producing condoms to close down... thereby creating more unemployed pple.. This world is business and everything must b done to make sure that business continues
Ur on point, infct u jst opnd ma brain, it wz klozd initialy.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by vyncentino(m): 7:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
let me b frank to evry one aid or hiv is sickness to reduse the black,any tym some 1 says he discova d cure de most ask him 2 cal it off
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by jnrremedy(m): 7:38pm On Jan 11, 2013
It is worrysome the way some people(especially nigerians) think. So many nigerians re quick/eager to make judgmental comment on issues they no noting about. When issues u no nothing about re being discused it will do u a lot of gud to stay back for some moment and read/listen to expert analyses before drawing ur own conclusion.
Everybody in research field no that before u can tentatively claim a discovery u must have undeniable facts/evidence that what u claim to have discovered is actually what u think u discovered. Take the higgs boson particle for instance(if u dont no what it is goggle is ur freind) despite the level of sophistication involved in the discovery with enough evidence of the existence of the particle series of more tests re still lined up to futher ascertain the discovery.
Apart frm the fact that the prof erred by not following the proper channel in revealing his discovery the prof also prematurely drew conclusion frm an ongoing research(totally unprofessional for someone of his caliber). It is totaly erronous for anybody to conclude that d prof discoverd d cure for HIV/AIDS. He said it himself that his research is still ongoing.
I dont no why some people re crying foul when d man himself has come out to clarify things he didnt retract his statement of d discovery what he said was that he shouldnt have made d announcement when research is still ongoing. The experimental clinical trials he talked about in his first statement was only 7-8 months old, clinical trials last more longer than dat. An HIV/AIDs vaccine that was recently approved by the FDA(NAFDAC equivalent in usa) spent more than 10 years in human clinical trials(minus d animal clinical trials) before it was finaly approved
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by caye(m): 7:39pm On Jan 11, 2013
baby_123: Why would a yahoo boy lie? Why would your politicians lie? Why would authority figures in Nigeria lie constantly without shame? Why would an ordinary Uni Ben professor lie? I really wonder... undecided
Obviously, the above porter is a child of 12-15.
Illogicality spews like a rushing Ajegunle canal.Dark, stinky and unfit for even bacteria, talkless a human being. Pity!
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by topmostg: 8:00pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by ezme(m): 8:39pm On Jan 11, 2013
I believe this is more of a political issue that may not have involved any level of external pressure. Prof. Ibeh is presently the Dean of the College of Medicine, UNIBEN. If I remember clearly about 4years ago this particular college had accreditation issues, that was resolved in a political settlement. If the same College is coming out to say they found a cure for AIDS, this would put them on the spotlight(nationally and globally).The standard of the College may be brought under scrutiny and would bring about negative publicity than positive publicity. I believe the denouncing of the claims by the College and the later statement of Prof. Ibeh is more of an act of damage control.If you notice, the press statement of the University distancing itself from the claims is coming from the Provost of the College of Medicine, and not the Vice-Chancellor.
Re: Why Would A UNIBEN Professor Lie? by Malawian(m): 9:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
At some point, you have to ask, how come AIDS "does not have a cure"? . More to the point, will there ever be a "cure"? If the prof actually discorvered something, i beleive he must be the most stupid human being on the face of the earth; Coming out the way he did with his "cure" . Me? I would have disappeared to america with the stuff and negotiated billions for myself. Big pharma will pay billions to keep the "cure" out, and a professor like himself should already know that!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Praises "Unique" SA Electoral System Following Fair Vote (PIX / What City And State Is This? / Council On Foreign Relations Honors Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For Shaping The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.