Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,307 members, 7,891,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:31 PM

How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? (733 Views)

Should I Tell? this Got Me In A Really Bad Situation / 10 Signs You Are Dating A Great Guy Who You Should Never Break Up With / 7 Traits That Will Make You Stand Out And Attract A Great Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? by ammamat(f): 12:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
Thought this would help.... though am not finding mind yet oh even with all this...
Read and enjoy

Be Attractive
I know, I know, this is both obvious and oh so typical, but you simply cannot fight the way we (men) were made! Guys, even “great” ones, are still first drawn by looks! Does that mean if you don’t look like [insert your own concept of a super attractive woman here] you have no chance at a great guy? No! Emphatically no! There are things you can do to up your chances. Like caring about how you look. Do your hair. Wear clothes that suit your physique (rather than the latest fashion). Carry yourself well. Put a smile on that face. Be nice. It’s not so much your figure as it is what you choose to do with it! You’d be surprised how far good posture, a pretty smile and a friendly disposition will get you. A great guy is thinking long-term, and he’s subconsciously in search of someone to help him be a better man; no great guy goes looking for a sloppy frowny inappropriately dressed woman for long-term commitment.

Be Interesting
Do yourself (and the world, really) a big favor … know something about something; and no, the latest fashion and biggest sales don’t qualify! Travel, read, learn a second language, be up on current events, go see a hit play, play sports, popular video games, garden, exercise, do something! It can even be about work … but your work should be interesting. If you work as interpreter for the UN, or are a reporter for the Washington Post, you’re on to something, a secretary for a non-profit, hmm … maybe not so much, unless it’s a really great non-profit. But the point is, bring something to a potential relationship. A great guy wants to know he’s adding to himself. If he thinks he’s all there is in a relationship, that it’s all about him, then he’s not such a great guy, is he?

Be Interested
Here’s one that will require a little effort, but it pays off in big dividends. If you already know a great guy, pay attention to what interests him and learn a thing or two about it. Does this mean you’re selling out—a phony? No! Let’s say your great guy is into sports, or a particular team. No doubt he’ll provide some indication of his passion, a bumper sticker, or a banner or something … Ask him about it! You don’t have to become a expert on football (though I have to tell you, you could do a lot worse), but when you see him in the parking lot, ask him, “So, where did you get the [fill in the blank] bumper sticker?” Notice I did not suggest a question that has a yes or no answer … that would be a rookie mistake. Your potential great guy should provide some measure of pleasant conversation, that is: A. Non-work related, B. An insight into his personal life, and perhaps C. A great opening for the future.

Be Somewhere
Math time! If you tune into 60 Minutes in search of a Jay Leno comedy routine one hundred times, and you only see Leno once, what percentage of the time are you getting what you were looking for? One percent. Very good. Let’s say the segment they showed was not to your particular liking, how many more times do you anticipate watching in hope of seeing another? An additional hundred. I think you get my point. At that rate, with only one chance per week, and taking almost two years to spot anything worth considering, it could be many years before you, by chance,* would cross paths with your “great guy.” If you are going to the same work place, same church, same clubs, same association events, same whatever, day after day, year after year, and only seeing perhaps one possibility of who you’d consider “a great guy,” then it may be time for you to change your habits a little. Think about the types of things you’d want your great guy to do in his free time, soccer, baseball, gardening, museums, library, boating, horseback riding, hiking, movies, theater, fine dining, and get your butt out there and be in those places! At least place the odds in your favor!
(* It’s a different matter if your focus is on a particular type of great guy. In some cases you’ll have to narrow your field to perhaps museums, library, or just church … and in the latter case, prayer is likely your best option, but it doesn’t mean you can’t visit other churches and church functions with friends.)

Be Faithful
Picking up on the asterisk (*) above, for those who have faith, and have been praying and trusting God for their great guy, don’t give up the ship! All of these points assume that while you’re waiting for something this important you’ve got more to cling to than the number of the local pizza parlor and the a pile of Lifetime movies to cry through. When you’re waiting and hoping, it can get very very tough. Absolutely everything can feel like a giant “I-don’t-have-a-man-and-life-is-passing-me-by” sign pointing right at you. But truth be told, I don’t know of a single single that does not have a very good reason for being single (apologies for that alliteration). Most have avoided or escaped relationships with someone that just didn’t measure up, others have themselves been busy with their careers or time-consuming pursuits that just kept them out of the availability pool. But for whatever the reason, I’ve always found that during this process it can be difficult waiting on God … but it is nearly impossible to bear without Him. So don’t give up the ship, keep praying, and prayerfully add the other six points mentioned here to your strategy.

Don’t Be…
We’ve covered much of what you should do, but it’s worth mentioning a few that you don’t want to do. Don’t be desperate, desperation makes for poor decisions, and makes short term gains for long term problems. Don’t be fake—a key component of desperation; it’s okay to learn about what makes you more or less appealing, but remain true to all that is good in you. To put it bluntly, you don’t have to do things that are morally suspect to get (or keep) a great guy!

Last, But Not Least, Don’t Be Short Sighted
Sometimes there’s a great guy right under your nose but he just doesn’t “show well.” Very often … okay I’m gonna gamble and say almost always, the guy that brims with confidence and flare falls in one of three categories, self-centered, hiding a terrible flaw, or regretfully, already taken! There are perhaps a few exceptions, younger guys, recent widowers, and great guys who are so dedicated to something (career or noble cause) that they just haven’t realized how lonely they are, but those are rare. The point I’m after is that there is often a host of other guys, potential great guys, that just need a little polish. Perhaps they lack matinee star looks, or they’ve had their egos stepped on a few times by less caring women, but for whatever reason, there they are, true diamonds in the rough. Guys have a lot of garbage fed to them in their youth, and if they aren’t star athletes with all the smooth moves and a fancy car, they often don’t realize what great guys they could be. This is where the perfect yin to his yang is required. So don’t be so short sighted as to overlook the shy guy who with just the right woman can become a great guy. Widen your perspective a little. Perhaps he’s a few years younger than you, or maybe a few years older than you. Take a chance! If he invites you to dinner, and other than the one concern you have there’s no reason to be apprehensive, then apply a little shine to that lump of coal and bring the gem out! I’m not talking about rehabilitating someone with serious social issues, or accepting someone whose little flaw happens to be that he’s got a girlfriend (or worse, a wife!); but rather superficial short comings in the hair, height, weight, class, or dare I say, financial status. For just the right girl, a man in love can make some serious changes in his life. Changes that can mean the difference between being just any guy, and your great guy.
Re: How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? by Bluesparkles(f): 12:54pm On Jan 14, 2013
First to comment
Re: How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? by greedie1(f): 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2013
summary: by being. a really great girl.
Re: How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? by timpaker(m): 2:16pm On Jan 14, 2013
on the street
Re: How Can I Get A Really Great Guy? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
To get a great guy, then you must be prepared to be a really great girl!.... and most Nigerian girls are not really interested in improving themselves!

(1) (Reply)

.. / This Age Thing... / South African Gay Wedding – First In Kwadukuza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.