Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,198 members, 7,884,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 05:20 AM

Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) (13158 Views)

Share Your Black Friday Shopping Experience / South Africa Built The Largest Shopping Center In Africa / Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by Seun(m): 1:42pm On May 01, 2006
Your last post has nothing to do with my own last post. lipsrsealed
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by Constantin: 3:36pm On May 01, 2006
well, I am sorry Nwoke. I am a very direct person and often tend to shout out loud what bothers my mind. I am sorry, ooo!! cry smiley
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by LoverBwoy(m): 4:17pm On May 01, 2006
Nwoke

Are you saying they should not build any shopping malls and other fanciful buildings until they finish sorting out the power problems?

Electricity is very very important but they cant just focus on 1 thing n leave the rest (over 5 years and nothing much to show for it cry)

these private investors are sure goin to be getting their profit at our expense but hey we are getting there
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by my2cents(m): 7:30pm On May 01, 2006
Fact is, even in the US where there is practically a shopping complex per mile driven, there is still extreme poverty - pple sleeping on the streets (even in the winter), pple who have had to choose between buying fuel to drive to work and food to eat, etc. Heck, yesterday in church, we had a couple who were homeless and slept at a local eatery. When the cops came to arrest them, church members who had arrived at the time offered to house them for one night.

In my day, the shopping complexes du jour centered around leventis and the like. If you didn't have the money, you went to the open air market across the street. Truth is, these shopping malls aren't a right and face it, are not meant for everyone. As for debt, that is a personal choice. Not to boast of it, but I still wear clothes that I bought 6 years or so ago. I could choose to be a mall rat and go shopping once a week like some, but I refuse. I also refuse to spend $100+ on a pair of nikes for a baby that can't even sit up straight, not to mention crawl.

Such revolutions are necessary in Naija, in my opinion. It brings jobs, taxes and foreign investment. I mean, other than the actual workers, the complex in question has a website that employed someone to create it grin

Of course, there are limiting factors like basic infrasctrucure and security. The key though is to figure out how to overcome these. Once you have this down pat, the millions will flow.

as always, that's my 2 cents smiley
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by ramono(m): 8:00pm On May 01, 2006
I am an avid believer in Nigeria. One thing I have noticed which has also been hinted to me by other nationals is that Nigerians are generally negative about Nigeria. The quality of the mall should not be the issue but the value added such as variety, jobs, conservation of foreign exchange etc.

I believe we should applaud the investment of Tayo Amusan, who rather than invest in Pontomac mansions or Swiss Cottage villas has provided 'The Palms'. We should even take steps like this further.

Na from clap dance dey start.
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by Seun(m): 8:03pm On May 01, 2006
I believe we should applaud the investment of Tayo Amusan, who rather than invest in Pontomac mansions or Swiss Cottage villas has provided 'The Palms'. We should even take steps like this further

If you want to discuss that, visit the Palms Shopping Mall thread!
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by obong(m): 11:17pm On May 02, 2006
I can't wait till tinapa opens. hopefully it ushers in an era of malls in cross river state
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by dblock(m): 2:43am On Jun 30, 2006
naija better hurry up. enough talking and more doing. The ressurection of education, better happen kia. Africa is turning itself around naija must not be left behind.
Re: Shopping Center Revolution Possible In Nigeria? (Like India?) by dblock(m): 5:10am On Aug 22, 2006
The shopping revolution has already begun in Nigeria. The Palms shopping mall was never intended as just an alternative but rather has a Trend setter. The reason why such developments were possible in places like Dubai (which before was just another Arabic city), Singapore, India, China( all these places were all shadows of their true potential some like Singapore and Japan were never thought to have any potential whatsoever. The reason why India got out of its shell is because the old governing style was abandoned, reforms took place, India which previously had to take loans and import grains to feed its starving population now became a major exporter of various sort of food. But of more relevance to the issue at hand the business became friendly, and India opened its doors to the world. The same is achievable in Nigeria because the military government has been kicked out, even though corruption still lingers in the country and the country’s problems still exist, the economy of Nigeria has become more transparent. Big Investors are starting to flock into the country and a rapid increase in the investments percentage (on a scale perhaps never seen elsewhere in the world, no really I’m not kidding Nigeria is playing catch-up 6.2 percent growth in economy isn’t easy). Investors are flocking in not because of immediate success or by what the world see Nigeria as but because of the potential that Nigeria has. I’m not been optimistic but the only thing that we’ll stop Nigeria now won’t be corruption but a rapid change of governance (the problem isn’t corruption; the problem is the tolerance of corruption).

Proof that Nigeria is emerging from the woods maybe not out yet but emerging.
are the proposals of these shopping centers
- Sharon shopping malls and hotels (Abuja) (Def bigger than the palms l’eko)
the mall is 3floors
- No name mall (yet) in Royal Gardens Estate, Lekki Development Corridor (Victoria Island), Situated on 6.6 hectares (66,700 square meters) again def bigger than the palms
- Again name unknown, mall to be built by Trustville Properties Development Company Limited in the Ojo axis of metropolitan Lagos (def not bigger than the palms, only costs 4.5 million dollars, palms costs 30 mill and the six floor ceddi plaza in Abuja CBD costs 10 mill
- Tinapa shopping and Entertainment center, 80,000sq meters (def bigger than the palms, gee enough with all these palms comparisms nah)
- Abuja Trading Centre, 4 floors built on a total area of 47,000sq meters also features a mosque (here we go again, def bigger than the palms)

Then you’ve got the already built six floor ceddi plaza built about 3yrs ago and with a nu metro cinema that opened just recently. The ceddi plaza is built on 14,000 square meters, I personally prefer the ceddi plaza to the palms, because I don’t fancy one floor shopping centers. The ceddi plaza is six floors it has paranomic lifts, escalators, and it has more lettable space than the palms it’s even got a basement for other retails

Also the proposed Bar Beach Waterfront, Lagos, Nigeria will cost: US$400 Million).
and when complete will feature a range of shopping complexes and cinemas (note this development is not good news, the US government warned Nigeria in the 50s and 60s to build a huge levy at bar beach to protect the land and people from possible tropical storms, You all saw what happened during hurricane season last year if a storm as big as Katrina was to hit in Lagos, thousands and possibly millions would die directly and indirectly, till date that levy still hasn’t been built Nigeria fortunately Nigeria isn’t a land of natural disasters but nowadays with climatic changes like; Global dimming and Global warming, unexpected occurrences are possible. The money that’ll be spent on making the beach area look pretty, should be spent on protecting it, because all that money could be lost in the twinkle of an eye, this aint meant to cause any panic butta it’s reality, Nigeria in this situation should be doing business with the Dutch (specialty: keeping the water out) and not the Italians (specialty: building)

All developments above are privately funded, Tinapa shopping center is to be partially funded by Gov and I don’t know didley bout the Abuja trading center
cool cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Feasibility Report-poultry Egg Production $ Broiler Production / Pepsi Overtakes Coke As World’s Most Effective Brand In Effie Index / 5 Key Ways To Get More Customers For Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.