Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,051 members, 7,946,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali (21145 Views)

French President's Camel Killed And Eaten In Mali / Video Of French Air Strike In Mali / The Fallacies Of Saudi Arabia’s Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 7:51am On Jan 27, 2013
FIVE MORE AFRICAN COUNTRIES PLEDGE TO SEND TROOPS INTO MALI – NIGERIAN FOREIGN MINISTER by beegeagle

ADDIS ABABA, Jan. 26 (Xinhua)

South Africa, Rwanda, Tanzania, Chad and Burundi have agreed to contribute troops to the International Mission of Support to Mali where governemental forces are working together with the French troops to combat rebels in the north of the country, Nigeria's Foreign Affairs Minister Olugbenga Ashiru told Xinhua at the AU Headquarters in Ethiopia on Saturday. . . .

http://beegeagle./2013/01/27/chadian-soldiers-board-a-french-130-hercules-at-ndjamena-in-chad-enroute-mali/

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 12:35pm On Jan 27, 2013
mekula:
@ bolded
Was it not? With myriads of information at your disposal you still manage to sound clueless as regards international politics.
was it not?

@bolded
Does that not connote differing views, opinions, intentions and interests? Is it not left for the receiver to choose what he wants? You and Mr Louis believe that 9/11 was staged. Good for you. That is your truth. I choose to believe otherwise. It is my choice based on my discernment - veiled insults about cluelessness notwithstanding. A myriad of information about God at your disposal includes the following:

1. God has a son.
2. God does not have a son.
3. God does not exist.

All these are information regarding God and each of the 3 has MILLIONS of supporters and opposers based on differing views and interests. I guess you support one of them and oppose the other two. That makes those who differ from you clueless since you are omniscient.

On the gold dinar currency, my emphasis was on the words "can not (sic) be devalued" given that the value of gold fluctuates. IMHO, it would not be practicable. Still using the simple analogy, let's assume that one Ghaddafi Dinar (GD) is tied to an ounce of gold. Let's further assume that an ounce of gold in the international market is 2USD hence:

1GD = 1oz of gold = 2USD (ie 1GD = 2USD)

If owing to market forces, the price of 1oz of gold drops to 1USD, it implies:

1GD = 1oz of gold = 1USD (ie 1GD = 1USD)

Therein lie my reservations about the ability of the currency to withstand devaluation.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by kodewrita(m): 1:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
Nigerians never cease to amaze me.

Someone tries to setup a terrorist centre of excellence in your neighbourhood and you are complaining that hooligans are coming from outside to help beat up the terrorists.

Would you rather wait for Mali to become a new Afghanistan now that Somalia/Afghanistan/Iraq seems to be dying down?

Are you so myopic that you cant see that a successful militant Islamic regime in Mali will definitely have a follow-on effect on all other militant fringe entities in West Africa?

When Boko haram claimed to have been trained in Chad, Mali and Sudan, was it a coincidence?

people simply oppose western interventions all in the name of anti-imperialism and never seek to determine whether it is ever in their best interests.

Didnt the sovereign government of Mali request for an INTERVENTION?

Most importantly, Isnt it in Nigeria's best interest to ensure Islamic militancy doesnt take root in West Africa?

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 1:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
kodewrita: Nigerians never cease to amaze me.

Someone tries to setup a terrorist centre of excellence in your neighbourhood and you are complaining that hooligans are coming from outside to help beat up the terrorists.

Would you rather wait for Mali to become a new Afghanistan now that Somalia/Afghanistan/Iraq seems to be dying down?

Are you so myopic that you cant see that a successful militant Islamic regime in Mali will definitely have a follow-on effect on all other militant fringe entities in West Africa?

When Boko haram claimed to have been trained in Chad, Mali and Sudan, was it a coincidence?

people simply oppose western interventions all in the name of anti-imperialism and never seek to determine whether it is ever in their best interests.

Didnt the sovereign government of Mali request for an INTERVENTION?

Most importantly, Isnt it in Nigeria's best interest to ensure Islamic militancy doesnt take root in West Africa?

I sometimes wonder why many nigerians refuse to confront the truth even when it is staring them in the face - ask yourself this simple question why did the west train, arm and fund islamic militants in libya and syria but are suddenly opposed to them in Mali - dont you see that there is a huge contradiction in there?

Do you know that France depends on Mali and Niger's uranium for nuclear powered energy which is used to provide electricity supply to france, why has france sent its special forces to "secure" uranium mines in neighbouring NIger - i mean are you immune to knowledge and information? do you know how to research issues you dont understand?
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I think people should learn to watch Presstv to know more of what is going on in the western world too which Cnn,bbc and Al-jazeera won't show you.but what can I say,Nigerians would rather stick to Africa movie channels.

Press TV, is to Iran what RT is to Russia, what CNN is to America, what BBC is to the UK, what CBC is to Canada
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 2:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
Or Fox TV to the Republicans and MSNBC to the Democrats.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
take dat: The uncontrolled proliferation of arms and Libyan upheaval which the West is responsible for, contributed to the deterioration of the situation in Mali. My question is, how rich is Mali's mineral resources for these foreign countries to covert, if their true intention is to strip them of their natural resources by securing the access of international corporations to do it? What would have been the African solution to the crisis in Mali since we all see the meddling of the West as neo-colonialism?

There would be no "African solution" to the Mali crisis. Most of the ECOWAS nations did not want to interfere in the conflict. The only reason the Islamists are on the run is because of French initiative and mobilization. Most of these people complaining about French and ECOWAS intervention ego and pride is getting in the way of them recognizing the truth that France is doing the right thing.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
Chongaiman: ^^^
Or Fox TV to the Republicans and MSNBC to the Democrats.

exactly!

Press TV, was created by the Iranian government. We should watch all news channels but should understand that they are all coming from a particular POV, they all have biases and slants towards one ideology or another to think otherwise is foolish.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by paranorman(m): 2:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
Man, this are what we actually see; well portrayed, in american movies... I remember the "the skull" that portrayed that 4 of american presidents belonged to a very powerful cult(illuminati)... Many movies about the conspiracy of the american, french, russian governments... The movies are coming true.... So much for power struggle.. Oh God, let thy kingdom come!

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 2:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yewe2011:

There would be no "African solution" to the Mali crisis. Most of the ECOWAS nations did not want to interfere in the conflict. The only reason the Islamists are on the run is because of French initiative and mobilization. Most of these people complaining about French and ECOWAS intervention ego and pride is getting in the way of them recognizing the truth that France is doing the right thing.

france doing the right thing? don't make me laugh! Do you know anything about France's history in west africa?

do you know about the CFA franc and how all former french west african colonies are tied into this system of modern day slavery which compels all french west african member states to relinquish 85% of their foreign reserves to the french central bank? are you aware that it was because Gbagbo wanted to get out of that neo colonial slavery system and sign up with Qadaffi's african central bank that led to his overthrow and subsequent arrest and handover to the european run ICC?
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
I choose to be aware that he lost an election but decided to hold on to power against all entreaties. Of course, his a55 got whooped for his intransigence.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 2:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
France is one of the biggest racists and neo colonial powers in africa second only to Britain.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
Chongaiman: ^^^
I choose to be aware that he lost an election but decided to hold on to piwer against all entreaties. Of course, his a55 got whooped for his intransigence.

funny - did you know that the late Omar Bongo of Gabon a french puppet was in power for 41 years?

how long has paul biya of cameroun another french puppet been in power?

What of the late Mobutu Sese seko how long was he in power in Zaire?
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Arosa(m): 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

I sometimes wonder why many nigerians refuse to confront the truth even when it is staring them in the face - ask yourself this simple question why did the west train, arm and fund islamic militants in libya and syria but are suddenly opposed to them in Mali - dont you see that there is a huge contradiction in there?[/b]

You see contradiction while I see consistency. In all these countries you mention the majority of its citizens requested help from the international community. In the case of Libya and Syria the peeps wanted a change in their government; they were fed up with their dictators. Mali on the other hand were being invaded by Islamists, in the guise of forming a new nation. If they want to form a new nation, is it not the UN that they need to go to for that if they can't have a referendum? It's critical for you to know that this is not a war against Islam.

cap28:
Do you know that France depends on Mali and Niger's uranium for nuclear powered energy which is used to provide electricity supply to france, why has france sent its special forces to "secure" uranium mines in neighbouring NIger - i mean are you immune to knowledge and information? do you know how to research issues you dont understand?

What is wrong in a Nation protecting its interests if it can? If your investment was under threat, would you not defend it?

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

france doing the right thing? don't make me laugh! Do you know anything about France's history in west africa?

do you know about the CFA franc and how all former french west african colonies are tied into this system of modern day slavery which compels all french west african member states to relinquish 85% of their foreign reserves to the french central bank? are you aware that it was because Gbagbo wanted to get out of that neo colonial slavery system and sign up with Qadaffi's african central bank that led to his overthrow and subsequent arrest and handover to the european run ICC?

Yes. I am aware of France's history of colonialism in West Africa. But that doesn't change the fact that in this current Mali crisis they are right.

Gbagbo was just as much a puppet as Ouattara. Don't try to turn him into some Pan-African hero just because he was deposed.

FYI, at the time Qadaffi was overthrown he was trying to get back into the good graces of the West.

Remember this?

[img]http://obamanationofdesolation.files./2009/07/obama_gadaffi.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ruggerogaltarossa.files./2011/02/berlusconi-and-gaddafi.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:44pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

funny - did you know that the late Omar Bongo of Gabon a french puppet was in power for 41 years?

all 3 of these men are dictators and should be removed from power (bar Mobutu because he is no longer in power)
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:44pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28: France is one of the biggest racists and neo colonial powers in africa second only to Britain.

this is true

but doesn't change the fact that France is "right" in the action they are taking
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 2:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

On paper, they won their elections. Gbagbo on the other hand was known to have lost an election. It happened unfortunately at a time when he was in the bad books of the powers that be. He too, was like Nza the bird who so far forgot himself after a heavy meal that he challenged his chi, or maybe his source of confidence lay in the lion-peppersoup he must have been eating. grin

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:56pm On Jan 27, 2013
kodewrita:

A lot of these people arguing against French intervention are Muslims. They know the Mali government is too weak and unorganized to pursue Islamic radicals and are angry that France is getting involved, because they know France are the only ones that are ready, willing and capable of defeating the Islamists they sympathize with. The real fear is that once again the Ummah is losing territority to the infidel.

Also, the Mali conflict has been raging on for a year now, a lot of these people are just now concerned because of the involvement of the French. When it was Ansar Dine, MUJAO and AQIM imposing sharia law, destroying ancient monuments and cutting off the hands and feet of people who broke the law not many people had anything to say about that. All of a sudden, 2,000 French troops are on the ground and are pursuing Islamic radicals (who probably thought the French were bluffing)...these people are now concerned humanists. They never cared about Malian people or the violation of their sovereignty.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 2:57pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

I sometimes wonder why many nigerians refuse to confront the truth even when it is staring them in the face - ask yourself this simple question why did the west train, arm and fund islamic militants in libya and syria but are suddenly opposed to them in Mali - dont you see that there is a huge contradiction in there?

Libya and Syria were dictatorships.

Mali is not.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 2:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
Arosa:

You see contradiction while I see consistency. In all these countries you mention the majority of its citizens requested help from the international community. In the case of Libya and Syria the peeps wanted a change in their government; they were fed up with their dictators. Mali on the other hand were being invaded by Islamists, in the guise of forming a new nation. If they want to form a new nation, is it not the UN that they need to go to for that if they can't have a referendum? It's critical for you to know that this is not a war against Islam.

you are completely wrong! the libyan people were perfectly happy with a man who had given them the highest standard of living on the african continent and place them at no 52 on the UN human development index. The only people who wanted Qadaffi out were a bunch of disgruntled turncoats residing in the eastern part of libya who wanted to get their greedy hands on libya's vast oil resources, they were then given funding, training and arms by the CIA and MI6. MI6 had been trying to get rid of Qadaffi since the 1990s when they paid various libyan traitors £100,000 each to assassinate him - this information is documented in a former MI6 officer's testimony - google a british guy by the name of David Shayler - he blew the whistle on the british govts plan to assassinate Qadaffi in 1996. Britain and america framed Qadaffi for the dowing of the panam lockerbie plane crash in order to make him an international pariah, libya was also subjected to punishing economic sanctions in order to get the libyan people to turn against him and overthrow him. this is the reason why Qadaffi eventually gave in to the west and renewed contact with the west becasuse the economic sanctions were creating a lot of civil unrest and various disgruntled groups were plotting with the west to overthrow him.

Listen very carefully - the west do not give a sh.t about whether dictators run your country or not - all they care about is that your country is left wide open to them to exploit, in most cases they make sure this is possible by installing a dictator over you who will do their bidding. the only so called dictators they remove are the ones who go against them

What is wrong in a Nation protecting its interests if it can? If your investment was under threat, would you not defend it?

only a brainwashed african can make the above statement - do you not understand that europe and america are planning on ra.ping your country, deploying troops on your continent. do you not get the fact that they plan to bomb and kill thousands of civilians - just like they are currently doing in mali and just like they did in libya and ivory coast? does that not cause any feeling of outrage or even fear in you?

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yewe2011:

Yes. I am aware of France's history of colonialism in West Africa. But that doesn't change the fact that in this current Mali crisis they are right.

Gbagbo was just as much a puppet as Ouattara. Don't try to turn him into some Pan-African hero just because he was deposed.

FYI, at the time Qadaffi was overthrown he was trying to get back into the good graces of the West.

Remember this?

[img]http://obamanationofdesolation.files./2009/07/obama_gadaffi.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ruggerogaltarossa.files./2011/02/berlusconi-and-gaddafi.jpg[/img]

yes, i remember that - Qadaffi had no choice but to renew relations with the west becasue the economic sanctions imposed on his country were creating civil unrest and the MI6 and CIA sponsored al qaeda groups were closing in on him, he renewed trade with europe and american oil companies but on his terms not on theirs and that is why he is dead.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 3:04pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
Nza the bird. . . grin grin

Or pikin wey say him mama no go sleep. . . grin grin

Personally, I call what happened to Ghaddafi, the law of karma.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 3:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
Chongaiman:

On paper, they won their elections. Gbagbo on the other hand was known to have lost an election. It happened unfortunately at a time when he was in the bad books of the powers that be. He too, was like Nze the bird who so far forgot himself after a heavy meal that he challenged his chi, or maybe his source of confidence lay in the lion-peppersoup he must have been eating. grin

if you want to keep playing games with words its up to you, the united states and belgium backed Mobutu for 32 years and he colluded with american, belgian, british and israeli mining companies allowing them to loot his country dry, in return he was allowed to amass a personal fortune running into billions of dollars. Zaire now known as DRC is the richest country on the planet with mineral wealth estimated at over $24 trillion

Gbagbo was declared the winner of the elections in his country by the highest court in the land - the supreme court - since when did the united states have the power to over rule the decision of the highest court in the land of a sovereign state, can the govt of nigeria overrule the decision of the united states supreme court?
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yewe2011:

Libya and Syria were dictatorships.

Mali is not.

So are Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Qatar but i dont see any british or US sponsored islamists trying to overthrow their govts!
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 3:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yewe2011:

all 3 of these men are dictators and should be removed from power (bar Mobutu because he is no longer in power)

Omar Bongo is dead and has been succeeded by his son another french puppet !!
Paul Biya will never be removed by the French unless he goes agaisnt their financial interests
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Chongaiman: 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
Now you are talking. . . Everything boils down to interest - if our interests concide, good and fine; but if they are divergent and we cannot come to an agreement, muscles must flex. When that happens, Allah ya ba mai rabo sa'a.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 3:23pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

So are Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Qatar but i dont see any british or US sponsored islamists trying to overthrow their govts!

your absolutely correct

the west is hypocritical in that regards

but France is right and exact in their stance on Mali
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:

Omar Bongo is dead and has been succeeded by his son another french puppet !!
Paul Biya will never be removed by the French unless he goes agaisnt their financial interests

oh ok
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Arosa(m): 3:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28:
only a brainwashed african can make the above statement - do you not understand that europe and america are planning on ra.ping your country, deploying troops on your continent. do you not get the fact that they plan to bomb and kill thousands of civilians - just like they are currently doing in mali and just like they did in libya and ivory coast? does that not cause any feeling of outrage or even fear in you?

I am not afraid of the America or European military. And I understand a thing or two about business investments and protection of interest.If most Africans countries think that the conditions of trade between them and the west do not favour them, then they should openly renegotiate a new one. Do a research on all the countries that the American military are present in at the moment compare their economies with that of Nigeria and most of Africa. Tell me how these economies are doing. America usually only invest extensively in economies that they feel are safe for their citizens.
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by cap28: 3:33pm On Jan 27, 2013
Arosa:

I am not afraid of the America or European military. And I understand a thing or two about business investments and protection of interest.If most Africans countries think that the conditions of trade between them and the west do not favour them, then they should openly renegotiate a new one. Do a research on all the countries that the American military are present in at the moment compare their economies with that of Nigeria and most of Africa. Tell me how these economies are doing. America usually only invest extensively in economies that they feel are safe for their citizens.

Renegotiate really ? the way Qadaffi renegotiated with europe and america and subsequently found himself facing military bombardment from NATO?

Its like you dont understand that europe and america do not negotiate with countries that they are militarily stronger than - ask yourself why they invaded and destroyed libya and ivory coasts
Re: The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali by Yewe2011(m): 3:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
cap28: you are completely wrong! the libyan people were perfectly happy with a man who had given them the highest standard of living on the african continent and place them at no 52 on the UN human development index.

They were so happy that large segments of the population decided to launch a revolt against him?

I find it hard to believe that regardless of how they were living anyone would be happy with the same man and his family dominating state affairs for over 40+ years.

Another thing, Libya had one of the highest GDP's in Africa but that does not necessarily correlate to having a high standard o

cap28:
The only people who wanted Qadaffi out were a bunch of disgruntled turncoats residing in the eastern part of libya who wanted to get their greedy hands on libya's vast oil resources, they were then given funding, training and arms by the CIA and MI6.

how can you easily dismiss their grievances by calling them disgruntled turncoats?

btw, do you have any proof of these Libyan rebels being given funding, training or arms by the CIA or MI6? If not, then it's merely
speculation.

cap28:
Britain and america framed Qadaffi for the dowing of the panam lockerbie plane crash in order to make him an international pariah

again, where is the proof of this?

cap28:
this is the reason why Qadaffi eventually gave in to the west and renewed contact with the west becasuse the economic sanctions were creating a lot of civil unrest and various disgruntled groups were plotting with the west to overthrow him.

so after the West:
1) trained his adversaries
2) set-up him up and framed him or a passenger plane bombing
and
3) tried to assassinate him

he renewed contact with them? lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 / Califonia Hits $2.7T GDP And Overtakes Britain As Fifth Largest Economy / Argentina Approves High Denomination Bill As Inflation Nears 100%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.