Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,021 members, 7,883,535 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:17 PM

Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off (12029 Views)

Over 120 Escape Death As Aero Aircraft Develops Fault Mid-air / Another Plane Crash Averted In Abuja / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by salt1: 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
money-hungry :
pls like My comment in order to encourage me.... it is my first time to comment. thanks

From your handle, you're not only money-hungry but like-hungry.

Which one do you prefer?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by philc334: 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
something had been done already. that is why the aircraft had to return
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
ichidodo: Harmattan-strickened engine blow-out. Thank GOD for journey mercies.

Where you in the flight?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Jarus(m): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2013
Jakumo: The pilot did a marvellous job of stabilizing the aircraft after engine failure. His hands were full, in dealing with that emergency, so he could not be expected to deliver a running commentary to the passengers while he battled to circle the crippled bird back to the airport.
LOL at commentary
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bird strike ke? At how many feet? You're right for that to be the case.

They said 1) after seat belts signs were off, 2) 5mins after departure, which means the airplane has retracted landing gear, already started climbing. A passenger airplane climbs at 1800ft per min after rotate putting the aircraft above the altitude where birds fly.

Based on what they testified, that isn't a bird strike - that's more than a bird strike.

IMO, this obviously was an engine failure.

Witch Vultures dey cruise at 45,000 ft oh incase you no know
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Btruth: 1:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
MO DUPE OLUWA ooooo!
Who is like unto thee O Lord, to You alone we give all the honour & adoration. Thank you Jesus, for not letting our enemies to rejoice over us. Another air crash in Nigeria is grounded in Jesus name.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
Which one is MED-VIEW airline again? Arik I know, Dana I dread but Med-view I haven't heard of. Sounds more like Bel-view

2 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eeek!
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by FlyinNaija: 1:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
Dear Nairalanders,

Most of the times when an aircraft develops a fault and returns to land, the passengers are in NO DANGER. Aviation regulations require that the flight be discontinued when certain conditions exist, whether or not they are considered to dangerous or not. If the destination is their maintenance base, most of the time the flight will continue to its destination. If the departure airport is the maintenance base the flight will return to its departure point, which in Nigeria we call an air return. That is why you will notice that most air returns in Nigeria happen in Lagos since it is the maintenance base of most airlines.
Single Engine failures in transport airliners are not a matter of life and death, provided the pilots are well trained and aircraft performance calculations are done as required. Most airlines do not even declare "MAYDAY" when they have engine failures anymore. Engine failures caused by bird strikes can be more serious since they can cause physical damage to not just the engine but surrounding parts including fuel tanks, hydraulic lines and flight controls.
On the issue of bird strikes, the highest occurrence of a bird strike was an Air Afrique Boeing 727 hitting a vulture at 37,000 feet (Manny check your facts). I hit a bird at 14000 feet a few years ago somewhere in Nigerian airspace.

Have a nice day

4 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by brownlord: 1:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
ichidodo: Harmattan-strickened engine blow-out. Thank GOD for journey mercies.

Wetin be the meaning of journey mercy? Or u no read the part when say the pilot mk Uturn?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by kessyur: 1:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
My God answers prayers. Just 2 days ago at the 9-days re dedication revival at the ST. GABGRIELS CATH CHURCH, the presiding guest speaker hinted that there would like be another crash soonest in a densely. Populated area in the west. He wailed that if not averted the ground victims will be numerous. He however said that an intense prayer n fasting will avert d crash. Hence the congregation prayed n were instructed to fast also.

God has proven to be God again.

Glory to Jesus, Honour to Mary.

1 Like

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ichidodo: 1:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
gboss4sure:

Where you in the flight?
Just Thanking my GOD 4 their sake knowin fully well how it feels being in a strickened plane,all d shoutin,wailing and gnashin of teeth.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ITbomb(m): 2:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
kessyur: My God answers prayers. Just 2 days ago at the 9-days re dedication revival at the ST. GABGRIELS CATH CHURCH, the presiding guest speaker hinted that there would like be another crash soonest in a densely. Populated area in the west. He wailed that if not averted the ground victims will be numerous. He however said that an intense prayer n fasting will avert d crash. Hence the congregation prayed n were instructed to fast also.

Any other person?
Preferably from T. B. Joshua side
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by sharubutu(m): 2:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
Johngoodnewz: I would stop boarding planes. grin

see as him dey yan as if e don near airport b4.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ichidodo: 2:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
gboss4sure:

Where you in the flight?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by manny4life(m): 2:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy:

Witch Vultures dey cruise at 45,000 ft oh incase you no know

Hmm, there's trouble o... Even witch sef needs oxygen to breathe na, don't they?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Sagamite(m): 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
kessyur: My God answers prayers. Just 2 days ago at the 9-days re dedication revival at the ST. GABGRIELS CATH CHURCH, the presiding guest speaker hinted that there would like be another crash soonest in a densely. Populated area in the west. He wailed that if not averted the ground victims will be numerous. He however said that an intense prayer n fasting will avert d crash. Hence the congregation prayed n were instructed to fast also.

Bloody illiterate!
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ABUGEORGE(m): 2:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
who talk say God no dey, una leave d bad road for us una dey fly hi, and una fit say God no dey watch una, why better govts no dey ever dey inside plane crash. thank God for u people life. now is 50 50. road no safe, air no safe, equation balance
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ichidodo: 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2013
gboss4sure:

Where you in the flight?
Just Thanking my GOD 4 their sake knowin fully well how it feels being in a strickened plane,all d shoutin,wailing and gnashin of teeth.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ichidodo: 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
brownlord:

Wetin be the meaning of journey mercy? Or u no read the part when say the pilot mk Uturn?
at least dem go come back in 1 peace dat na journey, no be so?
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by drnoel: 2:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
Pls what airline is that. Are they scared to tell us which airline it is.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by bakila: 3:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
money-hungry :
pls like My comment in order to encourage me.... it is my first time to comment. thanks
Na wa oh, somepeople can go as far as scam likes in forums.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
money-hungry :
Seriously?! What happened to the other threads you commented on last year?? So...if it's your first time nko? Abeg...go and sleep o!
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by kittykat1(f): 3:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good lcture from a professional
FlyinNaija: Dear Nairalanders,

Most of the times when an aircraft develops a fault and returns to land, the passengers are in NO DANGER. Aviation regulations require that the flight be discontinued when certain conditions exist, whether or not they are considered to dangerous or not. If the destination is their maintenance base, most of the time the flight will continue to its destination. If the departure airport is the maintenance base the flight will return to its departure point, which in Nigeria we call an air return. That is why you will notice that most air returns in Nigeria happen in Lagos since it is the maintenance base of most airlines.
Single Engine failures in transport airliners are not a matter of life and death, provided the pilots are well trained and aircraft performance calculations are done as required. Most airlines do not even declare "MAYDAY" when they have engine failures anymore. Engine failures caused by bird strikes can be more serious since they can cause physical damage to not just the engine but surrounding parts including fuel tanks, hydraulic lines and flight controls.
On the issue of bird strikes, the highest occurrence of a bird strike was an Air Afrique Boeing 727 hitting a vulture at 37,000 feet (Manny check your facts). I hit a bird at 14000 feet a few years ago somewhere in Nigerian airspace.

Have a nice day
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by buJu234: 3:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
this airline Med-View Airline is it not AirNigeria re-branded?

if yes; i tot they said their plane were not air worthy

just thinking...
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Ninilowo(m): 8:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Super1759: this makes boarding planes more scary . Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Especially on sundays
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Horror Film...

Reminds me of an aero flight I took last year from Lagos to Owerri. We were delayed for over an hour after boarding the plane because of turbulence. You need to see how all the air planes plying domestic routes queued up at the domestic wing of the Murtala Mohamed international airport waiting for clearance to fly. After getting clearance, our flight was the fourth to fly and come see gbese!!!

The moment the aircraft assume ascending position,HELL was let loose. For way 25minutes, pilot and crew was battling with the aircraft that has instantly turned a jelly fish. It was a horrible experience and I pray never to near an aircraft. But really I have renege on my resolution anyway.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by oseo1(m): 3:35am On Jan 29, 2013
bird strikes have been recorded several times especially in the north east of the united states, usually its shortly after takeoff or just before landing but there have been incidents at about 30,000 feet. i remember one that happened in NY a few years back.

But this was just engine failure.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Revolva(m): 6:42am On Jan 29, 2013
That's why I am afraid of flying our local airlines...very risky than travelling by road who cares planes are the fastest ..all this death vessels that collect your money and kills you ....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Students In Russia / 53 Traders Dead After Boat Mishap In Kebbi State / Labor Day: US Embassy To Close Abuja, Lagos Offices On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.